For those who have actually taken their children out of school

flagger

When did I become a girl? The sex reassignment surgery is not scheduled until AFTER Hawaii. :D

HAHAHAHAHA I didn't catch that in the other post. I think you would look rather stunning in a matching dress with your daughter ;)

Odd -- I'd just assumed that cultural diversity was "happening" everywhere. Here in NE Wisconsin, we've got a rapidly growing Latino population, a well-entrenched Hmong population, and recent influx of refugees from Africa; in addition to our base (of not really native native Americans and the Eastern European/Scandahoovian types who came here in the 1830s and beyond).

Well I should have explained that I live in a SMALL, very small, did I say SMALL little town. ;) When I moved here a few years ago from the huge metropolis up the road (yes that's a joke) I was actually different because I was ITALIAN American. Can you imagine? So many people pointed that out to me when I first moved here. I had never thought of it that much but there were people here that were actually anti Italian or something. :rolleyes:

So at Penn State (University Park) there is diversity. In Pittsburgh, there is diversity. In my little town, not so much.

We've been taking DS out of school for vacations (not just cruises) since he was in pre-school. He's now in 1st grade. Our last trip was a day short of being two weeks (this past September). It was his first time to fly, ride a train, and go to vancouver and Alaska. We feel we have to be very careful about taking him out of school now because we transfered him (for a number of reasons) into another school within our school district. He's not automatically accepted each year - we have to reapply for the transfer each year.

That being said, his principle and teacher were very supportive of him going on the trip/cruise. They sent all his homework. I also gave him disposable cameras to take his own photos and we did a daily journal complete with drawings. When we returned, I made his photos and some of mine, especially ones of him at places, into a photo album. He showed the album and read his journal to his class and the other first grade class.

Last week, when they were studying the White House, the Liberty Bell, and Presidents, I sent photos of him standing in front of the White House and Liberty Bell, and a photo of our family with our Congressman in his office, along with other photos of the monuments around DC and Philly. This was a trip we took when he was in Pre-K. The Secret Service officers thought he was reading the names of Presidents off the statues, but he was naming them from memory - he had learned them off a placemat we bought for him, and he recognizes and names all 43. After all, he was only 4, and not quite reading yet except for very basic words.

I agree that travel makes for a well-rounded child and education and that it is up to the parents as to when to travel. Some parents are restricted by their jobs as to certain times of the year that they can get away. My parents never took us out of school for any type of trip, or even doctor's appointments if they could help it. I'm doing things a little differently.

Odd -- I'd just assumed that cultural diversity was "happening" everywhere. Here in NE Wisconsin, we've got a rapidly growing Latino population, a well-entrenched Hmong population, and recent influx of refugees from Africa; in addition to our base (of not really native native Americans and the Eastern European/Scandahoovian types who came here in the 1830s and beyond).

4YO Kindergarten is fairly common around here and is well funded. It is not mandated and I don't really know of anyone who has wanted it and was turned away due to class size limits.

We sent my DD to a private pre-school program affiliated with my alma matre -- it was such a good program that we didn't think twice about it. She attened both their 3YO and 4YO program.

There isn't much diversity in Wyoming either - plus, we do not have 4 y.o. kindergarten, private schools, etc. Not much choice. We send our 3 y.o. to preschool, but it is just a regular preschool based at a church. We also live in a SMALL town, but then again, the population for the entire state of Wyoming is only around 515,00. Lots of open spaces, prairie, wind, snow and animals. I am not complaining though, we enjoy the country, but would be nice to have diversity and choices, which is one of the main reasons we travel, especially with our children.

When did I become a girl? The sex reassignment surgery is not scheduled until AFTER Hawaii. :D

Sorry! You write like a Mom LOL! Just kidding. I made the presumption that you were a mother. I saw in your profile that one of your interests is aviation. Not too many girls interested in that. BTW, my son is a pilot. He graduated with his B.S. from Louisiana Tech's Professional Aviation program last year.

Being that I'm in Texas, I bet everyone is thinking our non English speakers are mostly Spanish. Surprise! It's actually Vietnamese speaking children who make up the bulk of the pre K program here in our area.

I just ran across this thread. I have 4 boys. 1 has already graduated and been to iraq (my marine) My second goes to a private christian school. My 3rd is homeschooled (because he chose to be.) my 4th will be five in two weeks and be homeschooled also. I will be taking my boys on the repo cruise next month on the spirit. My homeschooled son has done work on the days he was scheduled to be off so that by the time we leave, he will have the work he was supposed to do already done. My son that is in school will have to make up what he can because the Principal is not excusing this at all. With that said, My boys are honor roll students and I don't feel the least bit guilty or selfish that they are going on this cruise. My MIL bought this as a christmas gift for them and there is no way I would not take them because to be perfectly honest, there is no way I could afford to take them. Unless I hit the lottery (which I never play LOL) I don't see them being afforded this great oppertunity. so I am running with it. I know they will have a ball and the time of there lives. This will be something they will never forget, 10 days of missed school is not going to harm them in anyway.

I just ran across this thread. I have 4 boys. 1 has already graduated and been to iraq (my marine) My second goes to a private christian school. My 3rd is homeschooled (because he chose to be.) my 4th will be five in two weeks and be homeschooled also. I will be taking my boys on the repo cruise next month on the spirit. My homeschooled son has done work on the days he was scheduled to be off so that by the time we leave, he will have the work he was supposed to do already done. My son that is in school will have to make up what he can because the Principal is not excusing this at all. With that said, My boys are honor roll students and I don't feel the least bit guilty or selfish that they are going on this cruise. My MIL bought this as a christmas gift for them and there is no way I would not take them because to be perfectly honest, there is no way I could afford to take them. Unless I hit the lottery (which I never play LOL) I don't see them being afforded this great oppertunity. so I am running with it. I know they will have a ball and the time of there lives. This will be something they will never forget, 10 days of missed school is not going to harm them in anyway.

WOW - can I have your MIL? Good for you. Your kids will absolutely LOVE it. I wouldn't feel the littliest bit guilty either. :)

Being that I'm in Texas, I bet everyone is thinking our non English speakers are mostly Spanish. Surprise! It's actually Vietnamese speaking children who make up the bulk of the pre K program here in our area.

I have to wonder where you get your information from... or what part of Texas you live in.... because the TEA states that the demographics are as follows:

Ethnic Distribution

African American 19.3

Hispanic 76.8

Caucasian 3.5

Asian/Pac. Islander .4

They also state, that only 40 percent of Hispanic three to five year olds are enrolled in early education programs (and that is still equal to 76.8 of the available spots in the program), compared to 59 percent of Caucasians and 64 percent of African Americans. Amongst these, 80 percent of ELLs are native Spanish speakers.

Asians are not even in the top three percentiles.

Also, Texas legislature and signed by Governor Rick Perry in June 2006, expands pre-k eligibility to all three- and four-year-old children with parents on active military duty, in an activated reserve unit, or who were killed or wounded in action. Texas has 5,395 three- and four-year-old military children, half of whom did not previously meet pre-k-eligibility requirements.

So, I expect that we will see those numbers change significantly in the upcoming years.

In my state, public pre-K is only for "at risk", low income, homeless or non English speakers.

They give priority to non English speakers.

Neither of the statements are true in Texas.

Texas legislature and signed by Governor Rick Perry in June 2006, expands pre-k eligibility to all three- and four-year-old children with parents on active duty, in an activated reserve unit, or who were killed or wounded in action. Additionally, children remain eligible for pre-k even if their parent's duty status changes.

Also, if a child is developmentally delayed, it does not matter what ethnicity they are or what language they speak.

I know a lot of people who are not non-English speakers who have their children in enrolled in public pre-K in TEXAS.

And soon they are expecting it to be available to ALL children.

I have to wonder where you get your information from... or what part of Texas you live in.... because the TEA states that the demographics are as follows:

Ethnic Distribution

African American 19.3

Hispanic 76.8

Caucasian 3.5

Asian/Pac. Islander .4

They also state, that only 40 percent of Hispanic three to five year olds are enrolled in early education programs (and that is still equal to 76.8 of the available spots in the program), compared to 59 percent of Caucasians and 64 percent of African Americans. Amongst these, 80 percent of ELLs are native Spanish speakers.

Asians are not even in the top three percentiles.

Also, Texas legislature and signed by Governor Rick Perry in June 2006, expands pre-k eligibility to all three- and four-year-old children with parents on active military duty, in an activated reserve unit, or who were killed or wounded in action. Texas has 5,395 three- and four-year-old military children, half of whom did not previously meet pre-k-eligibility requirements.

So, I expect that we will see those numbers change significantly in the upcoming years.

Let me clarify. I should say that my sister lives in an area with a large Asian population-mostly Vietnamese. So that is specific to the school my nephew will attend. In fact, there are virtually no hispanics in her town at all. Her school district has zero black students. What I was trying to say is that most would think that nearly all students who don't speak English in Texas are Spanish speakers. That is generally true throughout the state (as you've pointed out). However, not the case here.

Neither of the statements are true in Texas.

Texas legislature and signed by Governor Rick Perry in June 2006, expands pre-k eligibility to all three- and four-year-old children with parents on active duty, in an activated reserve unit, or who were killed or wounded in action. Additionally, children remain eligible for pre-k even if their parent's duty status changes.

Also, if a child is developmentally delayed, it does not matter what ethnicity they are or what language they speak.

I know a lot of people who are not non-English speakers who have their children in enrolled in public pre-K in TEXAS.

And soon they are expecting it to be available to ALL children.

Ahhhh yes that's true. But, remember that each school only has so many available slots for children wishing to enroll. My sister was, in fact, told by the assistant principal that non English speakers have priority. My nephew is on a wait list despite his speech delay.

BTW, I do question the value of "state funded" "daycare" for 3 year olds. Come on!!! Is it education or babysitting?

My daughter is not an only child; however, my oldest is 7 years older (and married), so it is almost like raising two only children.

As far as socialization... my daughter gets plenty... she is VERY active in Girl Scouts (I am a leader)... and she has many other activities that she is involved in. This year, however, she decided she was too old to be "actively" involved in Girl Scouts as much.... yes, boys have come into her world... lol

It saddens me, as Girl Scout offers so many opportunities and lessons for girls. I am trying to talk her into joining Boy Scouts (they have a co-ed program called Venturing for high school age). Does your daughter participate in scouting?

We just recently moved to a new town in October, and my daughter told me she wanted to return to public school so she could "make some friends". I told her we would talk about it, and make a decision together in January for second semester since she had already missed so much in the first semester.

Since then, she has made plenty of friends here... I think she might even be the most popular girl in town now... and she has decided that she doesn't want to return to school afterall.

She will probably return next year or the following year though (possibly only part time) so she can attend dances, proms, and other school activities). This town is very strict about only allowing THEIR students to attend these functions, and since she has friends going, she wants to go too.

Fortunately, in Texas, the law states that the schools MUST accommodate homeschoolers and allow them to attend classes of choice (hence my part time statement). So, she will be able to just attend one class if she chooses in order to attain her "student" status for school functions. She is thinking of taking up drama (how suitable for a natural born drama queen) lol

Their priorities really change as the become teens!

Either way, I feel like these lessons are just as important (maybe even more so) than ones you can learn in a book.

Quasi,

Since you've been so bent on "correcting" me at every turn, I feel I must "correct" you on something. No school in Texas "has" to accomodate your homeschooled child if they want to take classes at the local public school. I don't know where you got that. It is based school district by school district. Some allow it, some don't. In addition, your children are absolutely not allowed to participate in any UIL activities.

Also, I do agree with you that life skills are important. However, knowing the facts and dates of the Civil War are equally important. Knowing such things is in fact what makes a person "educated".

And just so this doesn't go off topic too much- While in 8th grade our son needed to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. Doc wanted it done during month of Feb. Well, I said no, it' not an emergency let's schedule it when school is out. He had it done the first week school was out and had complications. If it had been done during Feb. he would have missed more than 2 weeks of school.

Sorry guys, I know you all love your children dearly. I just can't justify missing school for a cruise. For any reason, unless it's life or death.

BTW, I do question the value of "state funded" "daycare" for 3 year olds. Come on!!! Is it education or babysitting?

OK I am going to totally go off topic (sorry Flagger) :D ;)

Actually the PA state program that my daughter is in is very intense. I actually question if it's not too much for a 3 year old. They have academic goals that they expect the children to reach in math/english.

The math goals are the following (I am copying this from her assesment)

--Write 0-10

--Recognize 0-10

--Know to count above 10

--Know how to count individual items (more than 10)

--Shape recognition (square, triangle, circle, rectangle, oval, diamond, star)

--drawing shapes (as stated above)

other goals

--to know all colors (including grey)

--to write first name

--to know full name and address

--to write all letters

--to recognize letters

--to know the difference between upper case and lower case letters

--to recognize sight words

They also work on science

--last month the focus was on penguins and the artic

--yesterday was working on duck eggs

The girl is 3 years old :eek: These are the goals that my older child had in kindergarten at the private school.

So state sponsored programs in public schools are no longer just a glorified daycare.

Texas Demo:

Ethnic Distribution

African American 19.3

Hispanic 76.8

Caucasian 3.5

Asian/Pac. Islander .4

LOL...in comparison to show Onnessa, this is what I mean by my town not being a "hotbed of diversity" here is the ethnic breakdown for my town

98.86% White

0.33% African American

0.11% Native American

0.11% Asian

0.14% from Race (United States Census)other races

0.45% from two or more races

0.54% Hispanic or Latino of any race

Sorry guys, I know you all love your children dearly. I just can't justify missing school for a cruise. For any reason, unless it's life or death.

And that is just fine, but with the sheer volume of children who are being shoved through the system who can't add or subtract without the use of a calculator, I have no problem giving my child an eduction on our own. Have you ever seen someone try to figure change if the power goes out or the computers are down?

My four year old certainly is not lacking in the education department, she certainly is not attending a "state-funded daycare".

And those state tests she might miss on her cruises are certainly no indicator of what she might know either. Many schools have stopped educating and only teach how to take and pass tests. Some people, myself included do not do well on tests but are pretty smart.

OK I am going to totally go off topic (sorry Flagger) :D ;)

Actually the PA state program that my daughter is in is very intense. I actually question if it's not too much for a 3 year old. They have academic goals that they expect the children to reach in math/english.

The math goals are the following (I am copying this from her assesment)

--Write 0-10

--Recognize 0-10

--Know to count above 10

--Know how to count individual items (more than 10)

--Shape recognition (square, triangle, circle, rectangle, oval, diamond, star)

--drawing shapes (as stated above)

other goals

--to know all colors (including grey)

--to write first name

--to know full name and address

--to write all letters

--to recognize letters

--to know the difference between upper case and lower case letters

--to recognize sight words

They also work on science

--last month the focus was on penguins and the artic

--yesterday was working on duck eggs

The girl is 3 years old :eek: These are the goals that my older child had in kindergarten at the private school.

So state sponsored programs in public schools are no longer just a glorified daycare.

Those are the same things my DS learned in pre-school at 3. He's now almost 7 and in 1st grade. We read two books every night, and I was amazed at the huge book that was sent home for Christmas break! he has been journaling since pre-k. Amazing...... But they are such little sponges at these ages. That's how he learned all 43 Presidents from their pictures.

LOL...in comparison to show Onnessa, this is what I mean by my town not being a "hotbed of diversity" here is the ethnic breakdown for my town

98.86% White

0.33% African American

0.11% Native American

0.11% Asian

0.14% from Race (United States Census)other races

0.45% from two or more races

0.54% Hispanic or Latino of any race

Whereas here (West of Green Bay), now it's about

80% White

2% African American

7% Native American

7% Hispanic/Latino

4% Asian

When we moved here less than 20 years ago, it was White and Native Americans exclusively -- the other groups were not "statistically significant". Northeast Wisconsin is generally "put down" by the national media as not being cosmopolitan. Thus we kind of assume that if a trend has made it here (of all places), it must be pretty wide-spread.

I try to get across to my DD how much the world has changed in a fairly short period of time. When her grandmother was in her 20s working in retail, the shop owner's chauffer had to sleep in the furnace room of the shop when the owner came up from Chicago to visit the shops, because the chauffer was not white, and the hotels only rented rooms to whites. When I was in high school, there were no organized girls sports and there was a different grading scale for girls vs. boys in typing class (the girls were going to be secretaries, whereas the few boys who would take typing were obviously going on to college where they might have to type one or two term papers). Comedians on TV would tell "pollack" jokes and refer to Italian, Hispanic and Irish ethinic groups using other ethnic slurs -- it was common. Our neighbor's son was refused admission to the public school because he was physically handicapped and could not climb stairs -- he was enrolled at the Catholic school where the janitor would carry him up and down the stairs as needed.

So when I say things have changed, it is that I HOPE that they have changed.

Since you've been so bent on "correcting" me at every turn, I feel I must "correct" you on something. No school in Texas "has" to accomodate your homeschooled child if they want to take classes at the local public school. I don't know where you got that. It is based school district by school district. Some allow it, some don't. In addition, your children are absolutely not allowed to participate in any UIL activities.

Perhaps you should do a little "research" before you start "correcting" people...

The 1999 Legislature of the State of Texas passed the following bill:

House Bill 531 --- Would allow homeschool children to enroll in public school academic classes as a part-time student, and the public school district would get a portion of the funding that the state normally gives per regularly enrolled student.

I do not really know anything about UIL, but I would think if they were "STUDENTS" of the school, that would entitle them to participate in any activities provided by the school.

But on another note, UIL is not necessarily "educational" now is it?

Also, I do agree with you that life skills are important. However, knowing the facts and dates of the Civil War are equally important. Knowing such things is in fact what makes a person "educated".

Being forced to memorize such trivial bits of knowledge like Civil War dates does not make a person "educated". As a matter of fact, I seriously doubt that even 1% of students who are required to "learn" this information has ANY recollection of those dates one year afterwards (probably not even MONTHS after).

However, a child who is taught "life skills" knows how to FIND that information if the need ever arises.

Perhaps you should do a little "research" before you start "correcting" people...

The 1999 Legislature of the State of Texas passed the following bill:

House Bill 531 --- Would allow homeschool children to enroll in public school academic classes as a part-time student, and the public school district would get a portion of the funding that the state normally gives per regularly enrolled student.

I do not really know anything about UIL, but I would think if they were "STUDENTS" of the school, that would entitle them to participate in any activities provided by the school.

But on another note, UIL is not necessarily "educational" now is it?

Being forced to memorize such trivial bits of knowledge like Civil War dates does not make a person "educated". As a matter of fact, I seriously doubt that even 1% of students who are required to "learn" this information has ANY recollection of those dates one year afterwards (probably not even MONTHS after).

However, a child who is taught "life skills" knows how to FIND that information if the need ever arises.

YOU get it straight. House Bill 531 never passed. It is in fact still pending. However, schools may allow "part time" homeschooled children to attend classes. They don't have to let them. There is no law. Knowing the dates (at least in general) of the Civil War, the Revolutionary War, World War l, World War ll, the Vietnam War etc is very important to know. I actually met a person who thought George Washington and Abe Lincoln were good friends. Now that is just ignorant and uneducated.

Archived