For those who have actually taken their children out of school

flagger

KC_fn, I'm not sure if you saw, but LoveSublime and I cleared up our misunderstanding on that. I absolutely believe a general knowledge of world history is important, and certainly for Americans, more focused knowledge of your own history is particularly important. What I didn't understand was that I thought that LoveSublime was saying that memorizing the specific dates of historic events was the important thing.

I absolutely agree that a broadcaster not knowing such 'basic' information about Abraham Lincoln is disappointing - especially one charged with doing a political interview! Before your post, I wouldn't have been able to hazard a guess as to what decade the American revolution occurred in, but I do know that Lincoln was president during the war and that he did not actually 'leave office'. Have you seen some of those 'interview in the street' things that David Letterman and others do sometimes, where people are stopped on the street and asked questions like 'Who is our vice president'? The answers are nothing short of scary.

Petitecruisemom, I wanted to add my bit regarding the rules in TX. We met a wonderful family from TX last year and so invited them on the cruise we took this past January, but they had to decline because of the attendance laws where they live. Our daughter was very disappointed that she wouldn't be able to see her friend again, but if they'd come they would have had problems with their school. So, at least in some areas of TX, they are definitely strict about attendance.

We normally plan our family cruise the week before school starts. This year my son has had a wonderful teacher that has convinced me that family time & the timing of it are very important. I always worried about taking my son out of school even though the week before could be very profitable for me. I'm a professional photographer & specialize in beach portraits. Our family beach season pretty much ends just before Labor Day. We've always gone around August 16 which is the week before school starts but also is my money making time. I only have about 4 months to make decent money. We're in South Carolina & it gets cool here. Not cold but cool still too cool for beach pictures plus families don't really come at this time.

Anyway, my son's teacher has said school is important but so is family time. You can't always time it to go when school is out. She has said if you go during the school year plan it when you know there won't be any MAP testing or things like that. She herself took time off for a family cruise around Halloween. Her point of view made it easier for me to make the decision to wait & go this year on August 31. My business is slower that week compared to the rest of the summer. My son will actually only miss 4 day's since Labor Day is that Monday.

Not only did I save almost a thousand dollars between cruise & air fare but it will also be slower for me & I'll be more relaxed. Our son is in honors classes & tested in the 95% of his class. He will only be in third grade. I've read so many pros & cons on these boards about taking kids out of school. Bottom line it boils down to each situation.

Archived