For those who have actually taken their children out of school

flagger

I know the debate ranges on, but I would like to hear from parents who HAVE taken their kids out of school for vacations during the school year. We are taking our daughter out of kindergarten for 10 days (two weeks) for our Hawaiian cruise next October. (She starts in August) Have not yet had to face the principal or her teacher.

I know due to NCLB, I may face fines, talking to a school social worker, etc. But I think back to all those trips I took with my family and I remember many of them, especially those later in life. I would be hard-pressed to remember one week much less two weeks of school.

What have your experience been with school administrators when you did so?

I am looking for actual real world experiences.

I have taken my children out of school for only a week and it was no problem. They were in 1st grade and 4th grade. I wrote a letter about a month prior to our trip and we were given all the necessary assignments to make up while we were gone. My first grader had so much work and we were able to do it all before we left. (We were leaving on a Monday, so we had the weekend prior to our trip) My 4th grader really didn't have much work. It was more of a project while we were on vacation. She had to keep a journal of each day, think of vocab words each day and use them in a sentence that related to that particular day, and keep tract of miles that we went. Her work was a real pain as who wants to do all that while we were on "vacation".

You shouldn't have a problem as your child is only in kindergarten. Don't sweat it. Enjoy your trip!!

I have taken my son out of K for 4 days for a family trip. The first thing my son told his teacher was we went to Disneyland! She was so nice about it, wishing she had done more family vacations with her kids. She made sure that my son had all his work ready to go. He did not fall behind at all. I will be pulling him out in may for 6 days in May to go cruising. From my past experience from his teacher she will be nothing but supportive.

I too remember all my family vacations. Memories you will never forget. I want my kids have many of the same experiences.

I have no problems pulling my kids out of school so long their grades and behavior are fine.

My best friend is a 3rd grade teacher and she also doesn't mind if her class kids are out for family vacation, so long as their grades are good. She does mind when their grades are not so good and the parents pull them out then they return and are even more behind. She takes her own kids out for about 2-3 weeks (not at the same time) for family vacations.

Both of us never had to face administrators though ;) .

It is a Family Adventure...It is a learning experience, They will get to see how other counties live. I have a 4th grader that lost 5 days of school last year & like someone else had said...We let her teacher know well in advance & asked that she be given work to be done. Even our 18 yr. old missed a week of college & was able to catch back up. The memories she will have on this trip will last a lifetime..The school work....Well....LoL....she can make up in a few days. Have a great Trip...Buy the teacher a T-shirt...she will forgive her.:D

It is a Family Adventure...It is a learning experience, They will get to see how other counties live. I have a 4th grader that lost 5 days of school last year & like someone else had said...We let her teacher know well in advance & asked that she be given work to be done. Even our 18 yr. old missed a week of college & was able to catch back up. The memories she will have on this trip will last a lifetime..The school work....Well....LoL....she can make up in a few days. Have a great Trip...Buy the teacher a T-shirt...she will forgive her.:D

What are the guidlines for absences for your school district? Do family trips count as 'unexcused' or 'excused' absences? When we took my 1st grader out for just 1 week, I had to submit a request to the principal. I went into detail about the educational nature of visiting foreign places and how she would keep a journal of the places we went. The trip was approved an was treated as an excused absence. Helping her with her homework each night during the cruise was a real bummer though...

I agree...its a learning experience much how the kids get to go on "field trips" to learn. I also give the teachers a heads up about a month ahead. Lastyear my son's assignment was to journal each day of the trip and return and share what he learned with his class. He also had some other "routine type" assignments to do, but I've never been given ahard time. The longest was 1 week for us though.

DD is now 12YO and in sixth grade.

In first grade she missed two days at the end of the school year for our AK cruise (the school year had to be extended due to extra snow days -- the trip had been planned to leave after school had finished!)

In first grade, they had a unit where they read the book Balto and followed the Iditerod race "real time" on a map in their classroom. DD had driven a dog sled on a glacier in AK the summer before, and had met two of the grandsons of the founder of the Iditerod, and had shared dinner on the glacier with mushers four of whom were in the race that year.

In Fourth grade she missed 3.5 days for our HI cruise. This year she missed 3 days for our Greek cruise. Both trips were scheduled to coincide with Thanksgiving vacation to minimize time off of school.

DD is an excellent student, and we are both involved parents -- so the teachers and adminstrators are well aware that we do not take her schooling cavelierly. We have asked prior to booking the trips. We schedule so as not to interfere with manadated testing time frames.

DD is responsible for completeing whatever work her teachers assign her for that time period.

She put together a powerpoint presentation on volcanos using pictures and materials that she had taken/gathered during our trips for her fourth grade earth science project -- Mt Vesuvious (sp?), Mt St. Helens, Lassen, Yellowstone, Crater Lake, and MaunaLoa among them. The teachers at her elementary school used the presentation again last year and this.

This year her social studies teacher was tickled with our itinerary -- they are studying ancient civilizations. Her class started Funke's "the Thief Lord" which is set in Venice, the day after she came back from Venice. Her French teacher freaked when she found out that DD's "best friend" on the cruise lived in Belgium -- so DD's assigned project to describe life in one of these French-speaking countries has kind of taken on a new dimension with one of her main quoted resources being her pen pal from the cruise.

Thus I can say, confidently, that we have never had an issue with our DD's administrators or teachers in regard to taking some time off school to travel.

Even if you are not given any work ahead of time, I (as a parent of a current Kindergartener) would definitely take some work for your child to do. Bring some flash cards with sight words, or a travel Sudoku game just to keep her busy while you travel.

We have nine days at sea so if, and I don't expect it, we get her work ahead of time; there will be plenty of time for her to do the work.

Where we live has pretty strict compulsory attendance laws though.

You may want to see if your district has some sort of an "Independent Study" program where the child is thus not considered "absent".

Some folks have reported actually removing their child from school and then re-enrolling them! Don't know how that works and am glad I don't need to find out!

I'll be taking my son out of kindergarten for 5 days this spring. I made sure to mention it to his teacher at our first parent teacher conference back in the fall. Her policy is for DS to complete missed HW assignments when we get back. She also requested he keep a daily journal to share with the class. In addition, she said I need to send a note to the nurse right before we leave, so his whereabouts will be accounted for. Other than that, she said there was no special paperwork or permission that needed to be granted for kindergarteners in our district.

Since you'll be going away in the fall, for two weeks, and you're concerned about your district's policy, I'd call and ask to set up an app't with the principle now. I would avoid doing this the last month or two of the school year, as this is the most hectic time with end of grade testing, etc. As a former teacher, I can tell some principals get real crabby around test time! By addressing this now, it let's the school know that you are serious about treating this as a learning experience.

Assure the principal that you will work with your DD this summer on letters and letter sounds, sight words, and journal writing to give her a strong base of knowledge going in to kindergarten.

Good luck. . .and be sure to let us know how it goes at the principal's office:eek::D

We took our son out of Kindergarten for 2 weeks for a European Cruise. We took him out of 1st grade for 2 different week long trips, and this year we are taking him out of 2nd grade for 2 weeks to go back to Europe. I have always talked to the teachers well in advance and let them know that we would miss this time. I also appologized to them and told them I was sorry if this caused them any extra work. I have always been told by the teachers, "Go and do it now. You won't be able to when he gets a bit older. Family time is so important." I do know if it matters, but my son is in private school. I highly encourage people to go and travel with their children. I have some friends who tell me to go over break. Well, that is when everyone travels and I would rather travel when there aren't crowds. It has been 2 years since we first took our son to Europe and he will still see something on tv that he saw on that vacation and say, "Hey, we saw that in Rome." The education they get from traveling is priceless. That being said, our son does well in school, I don't think we would let him miss class if he was struggling. So, I think it is different for each family. Go and have fun!

What a lucky little girl. Keep a journal (you can write her thoughts down) and take lots of pictures. Have her relate her experiences to you at dinner every night, let her draw pictures of her vacation experiences and then save everything and enjoy it for years to come.

Have a most wonderful trip.

Karysa

I know the debate ranges on, but I would like to hear from parents who HAVE taken their kids out of school for vacations during the school year. We are taking our daughter out of kindergarten for 10 days (two weeks) for our Hawaiian cruise next October. (She starts in August) Have not yet had to face the principal or her teacher.

I know due to NCLB, I may face fines, talking to a school social worker, etc. But I think back to all those trips I took with my family and I remember many of them, especially those later in life. I would be hard-pressed to remember one week much less two weeks of school.

All of my sons have attended or are attending a private, where their workload is pretty heavy. As long as I spoke with the Headmaster and explained to him when we were going, when we were returning his stipulation was the kids needed to write a report on the trips and discuss the different places we visited and why the cultures were different and how we might learn from them.. I know you daughter is young, but you asked for real world experiences. We plain to visit the Caribbean this fall, and the kids will once again be out. As long as the school personnel are aware, and you make it a learning experience, they shouldn't growl TOO much. Good Luck...

Well you know I take my kids out :D

When they attended private school, my oldest (7 now) had to write a report about the countries she visited, prepare the pictures on a board and present it to the class.

Now that I transferred them to public school, they have 5 days for "Family Vacation" and said that anything over that needs to be approved by the superintendant. When I asked the teacher about that policy she said she has never heard of anyone actually needing to do that. She said that she takes her own kids out of school for a week every year.

And my oldest just got her first report card from her new school, STRAIGHT A++++ so I can tell you that at this point, she is not being hurt by cruising :D

It really boils down to you being the parent and how your child is doing in school. You have to make your own decision based on that alone.

We took our kids out of school and caught hell from the school. My wife just told them to mind their own business. We were told by someone else that the school turned her into Child Protective Services and nothing happened because they took their daughter on a 14 day cruise. I think that is pushing the threshold of this whole thing myself.

In order to accomplish a fun educational experience, you need to do your part to make it that way by doing your geography homework and showing your child pictures, maps and such and really turning it an educational trip.

But then again that is how I was able to justify taking our three kids out of school for a week in order to go on a cruise for a third of what it would have cost when the kids are out during the summer or school holidays.

I am just jumping in here to ask those of you who have taken their kids out of school another question... What did you write in the letter to the principal? I am taking my DD out in March along with her friend. She's a freshman in HS and I wouldn't normally take her out at this point in schooling, but DH and I booked the trip, then decided to take her and a friend and couldn't change anything. Do I phrase it as if I'm asking permission or just say that I'm taking her out and would like assignments and ask how I would go about doing this as she has different teachers for every subject. I already am expecting one of her teachers to not be very supportive. They have the Friday off before we leave so she'll have all day to start those assignments. I have to admit I'm worried the make up work will be tough.

I did take my son out of school once in March of 1996- he missed five days I believe. He was 8 and he had to a journal. He was in private school and they are pretty good about these types of trips.

I now try to work within the school calender- although it is not always possible. For President's Day weekend- this Friday- he is going to miss half a day on friday and half a day on Tuesday of the following week.

I really just don't want him to miss too much school. He is one of the youngest in his class and is doing really well. I am not sure a week off would be a good idea for him.

In Md. our kindergarten is full day and it is a real stepping stone. The schools in my area frown on long vacations during the school year and are not excused absences.

Its up to you. Do what you think best for a kid starting her first year at school.

I think Australian schools work on a different system re time allowed off for family travel. My daughter goes to a private school and is a seasoned overseas traveller at 10. In 2006 we went to Italy for 6 weeks (she only missed 4 weeks of school) and the teacher was very supportive. Her view was DD would learn more emersed in culture for that time vs being in class learning about the culture (she got A+ for Italian lessons after the trip!). I did get her extra work so she wouldn't miss anything.

We are off for 5 weeks in Aug/Sept (only time DH can get time off work) and my DD has the same teacher as she had in 06 and again the teacher is supportive and is thinking DD can do some work on climate change/things native to Alaska from a practical perspective (but I'll get maths homework for her to do - poor kid!). Another friend whose kids go to public school took them out for a whole term last year to tour Australia and I believe the teachers very supportive again.

This will probably be our last trip outside of school terms as she gets older and school work gets demanding. Its amazing what they remember and if you feel your child may miss out, I'm sure the teacher can suggest informal lessons depending on the child's age. Good luck :)

My DH is a kindergarten teacher, and I know that he never minds when a child is absent--particularly if the child routinely does his/her schoolwork, the parents are involved, and the child has good behavior. I think he thinks of the travel time as an extended learning experience.

I don't think you'll face any issues because of NCLB. Not that I'm in favor of this, because I personally think NCLB is horrible, but I don't think it really has a lot of indivudual mandates for attendance. It's more about requirements for school districts.

Incidentally, I'm a social worker, and if my administrators asked me to speak with you because of a family vacation I'd probably shake your hand and ask you to adopt several of my clients whose parents don't show them any interest!

Speak with the administration and the teacher and offer to make up the work and then enjoy your time together!

My DH is a kindergarten teacher, and I know that he never minds when a child is absent--particularly if the child routinely does his/her schoolwork, the parents are involved, and the child has good behavior. I think he thinks of the travel time as an extended learning experience.

I don't think you'll face any issues because of NCLB. Not that I'm in favor of this, because I personally think NCLB is horrible, but I don't think it really has a lot of indivudual mandates for attendance. It's more about requirements for school districts.

Incidentally, I'm a social worker, and if my administrators asked me to speak with you because of a family vacation I'd probably shake your hand and ask you to adopt several of my clients whose parents don't show them any interest!

Speak with the administration and the teacher and offer to make up the work and then enjoy your time together!

I have not actually taken my daughter out of school yet, but I plan on taking her out of Kindergarten for a week during August.

I read over the school's policy, which lists family vacations as being unexused absenses, and says that after five days, a notation will be put on the students record.

I was really anxious about this, but I really want to give my daugher the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures (the prices during school breaks are out of our budget).

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is a teacher at the school, and she told me that even though the policy states that vacations are unexcused, the principal will often make exceptions. She told me that if I talk with the principal, outlining the educational benefits of the vacation, I should have no problem taking her out for the week.

So, even if your school/district has a rigid policy, there may be exceptions.

It really boils down to you being the parent and how your child is doing in school. You have to make your own decision based on that alone.

We took our kids out of school and caught hell from the school. My wife just told them to mind their own business. We were told by someone else that the school turned her into Child Protective Services and nothing happened because they took their daughter on a 14 day cruise. I think that is pushing the threshold of this whole thing myself.

In order to accomplish a fun educational experience, you need to do your part to make it that way by doing your geography homework and showing your child pictures, maps and such and really turning it an educational trip.

But then again that is how I was able to justify taking our three kids out of school for a week in order to go on a cruise for a third of what it would have cost when the kids are out during the summer or school holidays.

If you had really been turned in to CPS you would definitely have heard from them. I'm an investigator for CPS (not for much longer though) and we in fact get dozens of these reports daily. I guess it depends where you live, but in our state the school attendence policy is pretty strict. My most recent case involving school attendence proves that no matter your socio-economic status you can seriously get in trouble with the state. I have a second grade boy who was reported to not be in school for three weeks. I go to the address listed and find myself parked in front a mansion. Turns out the family was in Europe for 3 weeks and didn't bother to tell anyone. Both parents are doctors and are actually very nice people. However, they have been somewhat defiant and don't see anything wrong with him missing nearly a month of school :confused:

That little boy is now placed with other relatives and the parents are facing a date in family court. And I can also tell you that those parents are on the verge of a breakdown because of this. They have been subjected to the most invasive types of questioning, home inspections and being checked up on any time of the day or night without notice. I know it sounds harsh, but our rules are such that parents who so easily let their child miss so much school may have other issues going on in the home (it often turns out to be true).

So, for those of you who claim that parents "have the right" to "pull" their kids out of school for vacation- you're dead wrong, at least in my state.

I certainly don't advocate taking kids out of school for vacation, but if you have to do it, I say lie and say they're sick or something. You seriously don't want a visit from the state. You'll end up with them all over you for a year or longer.

It all depends on your particular school - not just the District. In October, I took my 1st grader out of a Los Angeles Unified School District school for a week to go on a cruise with a friend. My friend took her kindergartener and 2nd grader out of a different school which is also part of LAUSD. We sent the same letter to our respective principals advising over a month in advance that we were going on a family vacation, and requesting "Independent Study."

The principal at my DD's school called me and said that since it was a family vacation, it could not be excused and my DD would be considered truant. I did, in fact, get a truancy letter from the District. Since my DD has otherwise perfect attendance, the District has not acted on it. Apparently kids have to be frequent truants before the LAUSD will take it to the next level.

My friend never heard from the principal of her daughters' school regarding her independent study request; however, her girls' absence was considered "excused."

Same letter - same District - different schools - different results.

Archived