Are the beaches public at hotels?

Vyhanek

I'm thinking about taking a taxi to the Ritz for lunch and then hanging out at the beach right there. Are the beaches public or will I get kicked out like I don't belong? I know obviously I can't use their loungers or pool or anything but can I sit there on the beach in front of any of the hotels on 7 mile beach? TIA.

In theory there are no private beaches but some hotels, particularly places like the Ritz, seem to regard the beach frontage as part of their property.

Even where I live security can be very hot when it comes to chasing visitors away.

There are definitely places where you can use the public access lane then share the beach with customers at the resorts and condos but you might be better off going all the way up to the public beach just past the Governor's House, which has Calico Jack's and the Seagrape available.

Wow, good to know.

Another question then. Can you walk the beach passing by the hotels or is that also trespassing?

You can walk up and down the length of the beach, and if you wanted to, you could go inside any hotel and have a drink or eat lunch. We stay in condos next door to the Marriott, and we were always going over there to eat and drink. We also have walked in most of the hotels just to look around (the public areas).

Every day in front of the condo we rent, we'd see cruisers who'd plop their towels down on the sand and just enjoy the water and the beach. Have a great time! Grand Cayman is lovely. :)

Can you walk the beach passing by the hotels or is that also trespassing?

It's all about showing respect for people's property. No one is going to say anything for setting a towel out on the sand near the water on Seven Mile Beach. They will say something if you are acting in such a way as to disturb the hotel guests, or using the hotel's facilities without being a guest or customer there.

If you're considerate and polite, you won't have any problems. It's a very friendly island, with great people and gorgeous beaches.

Archived