Bringing Beverages Onboard

ilovewdw

HI, all. I am new here...just signed on today. I just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit on Monday. We leave 4/27! We only booked it because we got a pretty great rate, considering we are leaving out of NYC. DH is ALL about saving money!:rolleyes:

That being said, I need to know how to go about bringing beer/wine/soda onboard. I was considering the soda card...is it worth it? Should we just bring a few 12 packs of soda with us? If yes, how do we get it on the ship? Do we carry it on or put it in luggage?

How about beer and wine...I understand there is a $15 corking fee for each bottle of wine. Since I only paid $15 for the bottle at home, $15 corking fee seems high, but I know this is the norm. Does anyone smuggle bottles of wine in their luggage or carryons? Do they look through your carry ons when you check in?

I am not a huge drinker, but a few beers a couple of nights would be great, as would a bottle of wine with dinner. Sure, I'll buy a couple of specialty drinks onboard. But I want to save money everywhere I can!

OH, I forgot to mention...I have taken 4 cruises before. 3 Celebrity from NYC to Bermuda and 1 Carnival from Miami. Those were with friends in 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994. Each time, we brought bottles of wine with us in our luggage. But that was then! I was wondering what happens nowadays!

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

Pack soda and/or water in your luggage and send it with your normal luggage when you check in.

As for beer and wine, there are many threads on here discussing the booze question. If they find it in your luggage, you may be called to the 'naughty room' where if it is wine they will charge you the corkage fee. If booze, beer, they will hold till the end of the cruise and you'll get it back.

As you said, if the wine cost you $15, and you have to pay $15 for the corkage fee, doesn't make much sense. You're better off just buying a bottle for dinner. Most who take their own like to do so because they prefer a certain type. If you aren't that picky, I'm sure you could find something reasonable that you liked.

Did want to add that I've sailed with people who are beer drinkers and they've often enjoyed the beer from different ports, and have never had a problem bringing it on in a day backpack. Sometimes they stop you, sometimes they don't.

Hope that helped. Have a good time.:)

HI, all. I am new here...just signed on today. I just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit on Monday. We leave 4/27! We only booked it because we got a pretty great rate, considering we are leaving out of NYC. DH is ALL about saving money!:rolleyes:

That being said, I need to know how to go about bringing beer/wine/soda onboard. I was considering the soda card...is it worth it? Should we just bring a few 12 packs of soda with us? If yes, how do we get it on the ship? Do we carry it on or put it in luggage?

How about beer and wine...I understand there is a $15 corking fee for each bottle of wine. Since I only paid $15 for the bottle at home, $15 corking fee seems high, but I know this is the norm. Does anyone smuggle bottles of wine in their luggage or carryons? Do they look through your carry ons when you check in?

I am not a huge drinker, but a few beers a couple of nights would be great, as would a bottle of wine with dinner. Sure, I'll buy a couple of specialty drinks onboard. But I want to save money everywhere I can!

OH, I forgot to mention...I have taken 4 cruises before. 3 Celebrity from NYC to Bermuda and 1 Carnival from Miami. Those were with friends in 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994. Each time, we brought bottles of wine with us in our luggage. But that was then! I was wondering what happens nowadays!

your other cruises were many years ago and things have changed on most lines. As for smuggling wine, it is done all the time I am sure, but if you are caught it will be convescated and you will be called to the "naughty room" $15 is standard, a couple of liens are now charging $20 for corkage. I do know what you mean about expensive. We normally drink $6 to $10 per bottle wine so the corkage is really high for us. Still we do it.

One thing, if you like hard liquor you may want to order a bar set up prior to cruising. It will cost you about $40 for a liter but is still dirt cheap compared to drink prices. We always do this.

Is a soda card worth it? How much do you dirnk? Unless you drink a lot of soda I would say NO. You can bring soda on board if you want as well as bottled water.

Whatever you do, don't try to bring the wine on in your carryon unless you are prepared to pay the $15. Yes, they use Xray machines.

Nita

BeachBumMama, thank you so much for your help. I am just wondering...let's say I wanted to bring 3 12 packs of Diet Coke (what can I say...DH drinks coffee, I drink Diet Coke ;) ), can I just check them like that? If I put that into luggage, it would no doubt be flat by the time I got my suitcase, not to mention it would take up the WHOLE suitcase! LOL :D

OK, I understand about the wine thing. I wish I could access a wine list so I can see what they have and how much it costs! I am VERY picky with wine...I only LOVE a few. But if we order bottles on the ship, whatever I don't like, DH is sure to love! He can drink ANY wine and love it. :p

Do they check your carry on luggage when you check in at the terminal?:confused:

your other cruises were many years ago and things have changed on most lines. As for smuggling wine, it is done all the time I am sure, but if you are caught it will be convescated and you will be called to the "naughty room" $15 is standard, a couple of liens are now charging $20 for corkage. I do know what you mean about expensive. We normally drink $6 to $10 per bottle wine so the corkage is really high for us. Still we do it.

One thing, if you like hard liquor you may want to order a bar set up prior to cruising. It will cost you about $40 for a liter but is still dirt cheap compared to drink prices. We always do this.

Is a soda card worth it? How much do you dirnk? Unless you drink a lot of soda I would say NO. You can bring soda on board if you want as well as bottled water.

Whatever you do, don't try to bring the wine on in your carryon unless you are prepared to pay the $15. Yes, they use Xray machines.

Nita

Thank you, Nita! I don't really like hard liquor much at all. Maybe a couple of drinks during the weeklong vacation, but nothing I am attached to. Hubby loves Johnny Walker Black, though. But lately, he drinks red wine more often. We will surely have a bottle each night with dinner. That's why I'd LOVE to see a wine list! I can't find a link that works, for some reason. :(

Thanks for telling me about the X-Ray machines. That would be quite embarrassing! :eek: On another thread, someone mentioned they put 12 canned beers into a soda 12 pack case. Would that work or would they open the 12 pack case to see what was inside? :confused:

the cruise before last, my SIL had the suitcase with my pepsi, her hubby's dr pepper and a bunch of bottle water. last cruise, DH and i have 1 carry-on just for our pepsi, a few bottles of water (we refill the bottles for excrusions) and some snacks (for excursions).

you can get more sodas at most ports..never had a problem with it getting flat. but if you are flying, in your checked luggage it could burst and they won't let you take it in your carry-on.

let's say I wanted to bring 3 12 packs of Diet Coke (what can I say...DH drinks coffee, I drink Diet Coke ;) ), can I just check them like that? If I put that into luggage, it would no doubt be flat by the time I got my suitcase, not to mention it would take up the WHOLE suitcase! LOL :D

I'd spread them out between the suitcases and some bubble wrap. I've seen people check open cases of water, but I've also read complaints that it either didn't make it, or it was busted open, etc. You could also just take 1 12 pack, then get more from somewhere in port. If you have a big enough suitcase for all 3, just pack bubble wrap and lots of clothes around them and they should be fine.

I am VERY picky with wine...I only LOVE a few. But if we order bottles on the ship, whatever I don't like, DH is sure to love! He can drink ANY wine and love it. :p

Do they check your carry on luggage when you check in at the terminal?:confused:

If you are picky with wine, then you may do better bringing your own. Pack it in your suitcase and run the risk of them finding it, go to the naughty room, and pay the corkage fee. And your carry on luggage goes through machines also.

On another thread, someone mentioned they put 12 canned beers into a soda 12 pack case. Would that work or would they open the 12 pack case to see what was inside? :confused:

Guess it worked for them, don't know if they would open the 12 case, its a hit or miss with anything. They may or may not.

i brought soda in my suitcase with no problem. I was on the Pearl last week and another passenger's suitcase was not delivered to his room because he had packed a bottle of wine that showed up when they X-rayed the suitcase. He was called to the naughty room. (he told us about it in the elevator after collecting his suitcase and paying the corkage fee)

just contact your ship coordinator via email. Sent an email one morning and within the hour, go what I needed for bar services.

What you do is insert your ships name. They will send you a list. Sure not cheap. But we are going to Chili and hope to be able to pick up some decent local wine at a good prices when we stop. Even paying the $15.00, it will be alot cheaper.

shipcoordinator -------@NCL.com

let's say I wanted to bring 3 12 packs of Diet Coke (what can I say...DH drinks coffee, I drink Diet Coke ;) ), can I just check them like that? If I put that into luggage, it would no doubt be flat by the time I got my suitcase, not to mention it would take up the WHOLE suitcase! LOL :D

Any soda or water that you bring MUST be in a suitcase or some kind of baggage. I have heard that the Porters at the New York pier won't just accept them with a luggage tag. I pack mine in a large suitcase. I roll my clothes at the bottom, I put 2 12 packs on top of them, then I pack around and on top of them. I did that in all 3 of our suitcases. I come from Long Island also and my soda wasn't flat.

For water I have a foldable rolling duffle bag that holds a case of Poland Spring that I buy at Sams Club. When the cruise is over I fold that up and put it in my large suitcase.

Think airport security at the terminal and also when you are getting back on the ship at the different ports. They use x-ray machines.

I was on the Jan. 25 Pearl sailing and we brought soda, beer and wine aboard. We brought three bottles of wine and paid the $15 corkage fee. We carried the wine on and the X-ray machine did catch the bottles (I expected them too) and we politely walked over to a woman seated at a desk who explained the corkage-fee policy, which I knew. NCL added the $45 to our onboard account.

We also brought plenty of soda, water and a 12-pack of beer. As long as you pack cans of beer, you should be able to get them through security. We packed the beer into our 12 packs of soda. I also had a few liners that I put over the beer cans.

Most of the soda and beer was carried on board, but I did have a few leftover cans that we packed in our suitcases and all were delivered to our room without a note.

Pack just enough soda to get you by until you get to a port where you can purchase more in a supermarket. Soda will cost you $2 a can onboard. You can bring soda to any of the dining rooms. Ditto for your wine bottles. NCL will put a sticker on your wine to show that you paid the corkage fee. Any of the wait staff in the restaurants will uncork your bottles and you can have them store for you or bring it back to your room.

Hope this helps.

I was on Pearl last month. Wine will be caught and if in your luggage they will not deliver it to your room. I carried in 6 bottles on a box and paid the corkage fee.

The wine list is very good except that they don't have many low cost wines. The markup is about like an average restaurant.

I checked on a few bottles on my last cruise. I can get a bottle of Coppola wine at home for $16. Bring onboard and add the $15 corkage its $31. NCL was only charging $35 for that wine. Crazy to bring it aboard and pay a corkage fee when for about the same price they have the wine there. No hassles of trying to bring it along with me. I found a few other bottles that were pretty consistent with my pricing theory. Not to say its the same in all cases.

Unless is a special bottle of wine....I'd recommend buying it onboard.

We will be on board with you too. I did this same cruise last year and we brought on our own sodas/water. I had a bar set up for a bottle of rum for my dh. Everyone says that Norwegian is the hardest to smuggle on, but my sis brough two or three big water bottles (the sport ones) filled with vodka with no problem. She had them with her suitcase that she checked in. So I am not sure if she just got lucky or not.

Hope this helps some.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!! I really do appreciate it. I am now planning to bring cans of soda (Diet Coke) Cans of beer (in soda 12 pack containers) in my luggage. For 4 of us, we will have 4 suitcases so that will work! ;) I usually don't drink much hard liquor, but I might bring some clear bacardi rum in a big Poland Spring or Listerine bottle and some pineapple juice, too. I am going to email the ships coordinator to see if I can see a wine list. That will help me decide if I will buy onboard, or just bring my own and pay the corking fee. I don't want to be sent to the Naughty Room :eek: .

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Kellismom, see you onboard! :D Do you have kids going, too? OH, and where do you get your tickers?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!! I really do appreciate it. I am now planning to bring cans of soda (Diet Coke) Cans of beer (in soda 12 pack containers) in my luggage. For 4 of us, we will have 4 suitcases so that will work! ;) I usually don't drink much hard liquor, but I might bring some clear bacardi rum in a big Poland Spring or Listerine bottle and some pineapple juice, too. I am going to email the ships coordinator to see if I can see a wine list. That will help me decide if I will buy onboard, or just bring my own and pay the corking fee. I don't want to be sent to the Naughty Room :eek: .

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Kellismom, see you onboard! :D Do you have kids going, too? OH, and where do you get your tickers?

I hope you find another way of bringing the bottle or the beer on. NCL management does read these boards. It works a little better if you don't give yourself away. Good luck,

Nita

I hope you find another way of bringing the bottle or the beer on. NCL management does read these boards. It works a little better if you don't give yourself away. Good luck,

Nita

OHhhhh.....OK. Thank you. I guess I won't be bringing anything. :cool:

...As you said, if the wine cost you $15, and you have to pay $15 for the corkage fee, doesn't make much sense. ...:)

Not sure why this does not make sense.

If you paid $15 for the bottle and like it, vs buying their wine for $30-$40, then why not?

The $30 bottle they sell is probably less that $10 wine, and I really do not blame them for the price. Just business.

On the other hand, I would glad bring some less that $10 wine and pay the $15 because I want MY wine, and I want it in MY cabin when I want it.

Heck, a 3 ltr box of wine could cost you $10 at the store and you could get hit with $15 or up to $60 corkage fee. To me that would still make good sense.

Archived