question about transportation

Alysia

How would be the best way to get from Gatwick to Southampton for 1 person with 2 large cases and 1 carry on? I check the National express and it mentions only allowed to bring on 2 medium cases. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How would be the best way to get from Gatwick to Southampton for 1 person with 2 large cases and 1 carry on? I check the National express and it mentions only allowed to bring on 2 medium cases. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The train. It runs right from Gatwick Airport (you literally take the elevator from the terminal building to the platform) to Southampton Central, less than 5 mins from any of the cruise docks. It runs hourly, and takes approx 2hrs. Cost about GBP20

http://nationalrail.co.uk/ for more info

Would only add a couple of things to scottbee's answer.

1. The train normally consists 8 carriages (cars) and only the first 4 go to Southampton. Clear messages are given on the platform and in the train to ensure that you enter (or move to) the correct portion of the train.

2. On Sundays the through train does not operate. You catch the train to Brighton and then change for a train for Southampton. The transfer from one train to the other will be not more than 300 feet and is on the level.

HOWEVER, check carefully on the web site given by scottbee for your specific travel date if arriving on Sunday as:

A. There is often re-engineering work on the railway lines which can make major changes to train routes and times on specific Sundays.

B. The trains can be smaller and may only have 2 carriages which may cause crowding.

I have previously used the trains between Gatwick and Southampton on weekdays and Sundays and always had a comfortable and punctual journey.

I think you have two choices. As a previous poster said, you could use the ship transfers because they won't limit your luggage. Have you checked to see if there's a roll call for your trip? Maybe some fellow cruisers are trying to put together a group for private transportation.

I think you have two choices. As a previous poster said, you could use the ship transfers because they won't limit your luggage. Have you checked to see if there's a roll call for your trip? Maybe some fellow cruisers are trying to put together a group for private transportation.

A roll call group is an excellent way to go. We had 49 people on a bus organized through our roll-call for transport from Rome to Civitivecchia. Cost us E10/ea vs the $80 the cruise line wanted.

But back to the transfer from LGW to Southampton. I've done it, and the train really couldn't be much easier (was also way more comfortable than a bus).

Archived