Any other "Fluffy" girls ever had a massage???

laginog

My husband convinced me to try a massage on board about 5 cruises ago. I was hooked and have made sure to budget at least one in every time we cruise now. I'm way beyond "fluffy" and not once has any of the massage therapists on board made me feel less than totally comfortable. They listen to my preferences (I have severe arthritis in my knees and over flexation is very painful) and work with me to ensure that my experience is wonderful. I have never felt so relaxed in my life. On our last cruise there was a Thalassatherapy pool on the ship. My husband and I each had a massage and the slid into the warm water of the pool. Talk about Nirvana!

Hope you try a massage, I'm sure you'll be hooked like the rest of us :)

Fran

I also passed "fluffy" many years ago and I LOVE a message. I have a suggestion - the robes don't always fit as well as I would like - so I carry a nice fluffy robe from home and it works well more me. I would not miss a message on board - just had one on the CP and it was really good...no hard sale of the products and I like that.

:)

Laginog, I passed merely "fluffy" 20 years ago and I timidly decided to brave my very first massage on the Grand Princess in February as I hurt my neck lugging baggage around the airport on the trip down. It was incredible and my daughter and I now refer to the spa as "heaven on the seas". One thing though, on the Grand you disrobe in the change room, don a terry towel robe and make your way down a curved hallway to the treatment room waiting area before being ushered into your actual massage room. Check out the spa area on the CP on your departure day and raise your concerns about walking without your braces. I'm sure they will tell you to leave them on until you actually get into the treatment room and the massage therapist will help you off and on with them. These folks are registered massage therapists, many have hospital experience and are quite familiar with all types of injuries, disabilities and bodies. They are completely professional and VERY discreet. I have to say that if I were you, I'd brave it alone, not only for the peaceful mood of the experience but also for the privacy of the relationship between you and the RMT. I'm positive that you will have absolutely no difficulty without your friend or DH. I enjoyed myself so much that I did the seaweed wrap three times on a seven day cruise, my daughter did ionathermy three times and we have already budgeted for 4 similar treatments each on our 10 day trip next February, wallet and modesty be damned! Not only was I relaxed and pain free for the first time in a year, but my skin felt like a baby's! My attitude now is that you will never see these people again, so why should you care what they think of your body? There are worse bodies in the world than yours or mine and nobody cares, so you go, girl!!! ;)

I love getting massages and based on the other people that I see getting them I usually end up feeling like the skinny one in the spa. One advantange of being fluffy is on embarkation day. I got picked to be a demo "model" for the Ionithermie (sp?) treatment. It helps with losing weight and inches. I got to get this expensive treament for free when people were taking a tour of the spa on the first day. So if you get on the ship early, go to the spa and ask if they need any models for the day.

I am also overly fluffy and I have had many massages on board Princess Ships. Since I don't fit into the robes provided by the Spa, I just usually wear a pair of shorts and a top that are easily removed and then instead of removing my clothes in the locker room, I remove them in the massage room.

On the Island, you were able to go into the "relaxation" room before and after the massage where you could lay on the warm stone beds and take a fragranced shower. So before the massage, I would lay in the stone beds in my shorts and top, then after the massage, I would change into my bathing suit to take advantage of the fragranced showers.

Since I booked 3 massages during the 10 day cruise (can you tell I love them) they also let me have access to the relaxation room anytime they were opened. So I would then just change into my bathing suit in the locker room, and use my own robe to walk from the locker room to the relaxation room.

I wish I had known about that word last week. I met up with someone who I hadn't seen for 25 years... her first words were "Laura you're fat!!" I should have said "actually I'm fluffy" It's my new word... I can be fluffy and proud. Thank you.

PS: I may even be brave and book my first massage.

DH and I did couples massage last year on Golden.

As stated before, 2 tables, 2 therapists...one room. Think that would work great for you and your friend so she could help you on table if you wish.

I'm fluffier, too and no therapist has ever made me feel uncomfortable....

You won't be their first or last fluffy person. :)

GO FOR IT!!!

I wish I had known about that word last week. I met up with someone who I hadn't seen for 25 years... her first words were "Laura you're fat!!" I should have said "actually I'm fluffy" It's my new word... I can be fluffy and proud. Thank you.

PS: I may even be brave and book my first massage.

I believe the 'fluffy' reference began a few years back! I remember getting a refrigerator magnet in the shape of a fluffy sheep and on it was written

"Ewes not FAT, Ewes just FLUFFY"!! I put it right next to my "Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself" magnet!!

I'm also over fluffed and I'm actually going to bite the bullet and try the Sea Essence Duet body treatment this time instead of my usual facial! :eek:

TinaLee

I believe the 'fluffy' reference began a few years back! I remember getting a refrigerator magnet in the shape of a fluffy sheep and on it was written

"Ewes not FAT, Ewes just FLUFFY"!! I put it right next to my "Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself" magnet!!

I'm also over fluffed and I'm actually going to bite the bullet and try the Sea Essence Duet body treatment this time instead of my usual facial! :eek:

TinaLee

that sounds good! what is it? is there a list of available treatments some where?

Going to have my first massage on my first cruise this fall. Since I've never had a massage before, I was hoping to get some advice from the other guys out there. I'm not real sure if I'd be comfortable with another guy massaging me. I think i'd much rather have a women and if I have a women do it, should I be worried about keeping the 'captin at ease'. I sure don't want to look like a perv, cause I can't roll over. Am I way out in left field with this? Is it difficult to keep the two realms seperated in your mind? or Is this never a problem. Maybe I should just request Helga :)

I'm a male--nationally certified massage therapist (USA)--so I know a little something about this topic. I cringe when I hear a male say they feel uncomfortable about having a massage session with a male. If you are dealing with a PROFESSIONAL therapist it shouldn't matter. All clients whether male/female--small/ medium /large are treated with respect-kindness and understanding. Most therapists have treated people of all sizes--for instance I've massaged as small as 90 pounds to as fluffy as 350 pounds--I treat everyone the same--rest assured that a massage feels good no matter what your size--I also believe that the majority of people are a bit apprehensive about the dress/undress issue the first time--don't feel intimidated--discuss your apprehension--we understand and want everyone to be comfortable and enjoy the session--if you feel more comfortable keeping your undies on--by all means do so--you will be draped properly either way. The more often you go the more comfortable you will be--as long as you're dealing with a professional--you will have no problem. By the way the prices are much cheaper on an island such as Orient Beach in St. Martin--in any event I hope you all have a great massage and don't be afraid to discuss any issues you may have--ENJOY---good cruising to all

that sounds good! what is it? is there a list of available treatments some where?
Which ship will you be going on? The Sea Essence Duet is available only on Caribbean Princess and Sapphire Princess Lotus Spas right now. All other ships have Steiner-run spas, and the list of available options is different on those ships. If you're on CB or SP, you can download the Lotus Spa 'menu' off the Princess home page.

Lotus Spa

Here's the description of the Sea Essence Duet...

Sea Essence Duet 50 minutes

Enjoy the dual benefits of a creamy exfoliation and relaxing massage. Aromatic seawater and essential oils from pine and lavender combine to nourish and soothe the skin. A self-heating mud is applied to the back and soles of the feet, releasing tension and comforting muscles.

aaaahhhh....

I'm sure the person giving me the massage is a profesional, thats not my question. I'm not used to having another male touch me, except for a pat on the back so it matters to me. I just want to know what to expect.

You can expect a professional massage--nothing sexual in any way--whether it's by a male or female--loosen up

just had a stone massage on the cp last week (i had to fill up all the sea days somehow :) it was my first of any type of spa treatments and i loved it. got over my worries about the body thing pretty fast, they keep you well covered. i thought stones were ok, however, next time would try just a normal rubdown. they mixed these cold rocks in once in awhile and it about sent me to the ceiling! go for it, you will be happy you did.

Is there a list of treatments available at the Steiner spas on Princess ships other than the CP or the SP?? I have convinced myself to get my first massage on board and your comments have reinforced that. But I'd like to know what is available. My flight doesn't get to Venice until well after the Spa tour and lecture has been held.

I am also a fluffy girl and I adore massages. I get one on every cruise, it's one of my traditions.

I have NEVER been talked to about buying products after a massage on a cruise ship, and I have had massages on RCL, Princess, NCL, Carnival. The closest thing to a "sale job" after one was when I had a stone massage on the Legend last December, the therapist suggested that I get a follow-up regular massage a couple of days later to help with some serious muscle stress I was complaining of.

At no time during my massages do I feel "naked" or exposed. They are very careful to uncover only the area they are going to work on, everything else is covered with a sheet. The rooms are usually kept warm and comfortable with soft music. I don't recall ever hearing anything outside of the room during a massage. It feels very private and safe....I usually doze off for a few minutes during my massages. Usually after a few minutes she will ask you if she is using enough pressure, or too much, just let them know. I would suggest that you plan a massage for a time when you will have plenty of time afterwards for a nap and shower....the oil they use will get into your hair so you will not want to run down to dining room immediately.

I have gotten addicted to those stone massages. They are wonderful.....I can't wait until November for my next one!!

I did the stone massage on the Grand last week.. I do stone massages every 6 months usually.. So this worked out well. But the gal did try to sell me the lotion she used.. a hot and a cold one.. I said I would think about it and smiled

Wishing well

Going to have my first massage on my first cruise this fall. Since I've never had a massage before, I was hoping to get some advice from the other guys out there. I'm not real sure if I'd be comfortable with another guy massaging me. I think i'd much rather have a women and if I have a women do it, should I be worried about keeping the 'captin at ease'. I sure don't want to look like a perv, cause I can't roll over. Am I way out in left field with this? Is it difficult to keep the two realms seperated in your mind? or Is this never a problem. Maybe I should just request Helga
I’ve had both – and I’m partial to males in more way than one if you know what I mean – and felt that I might be uncomfortable with a masseuse. I’ve noticed no difference – as Rich points out, it’s a totally professional situation and quite frankly I had one 4’8” South African girl work me over with more strength than any of the masseurs I’ve had – that was one deep tissue workout.

Again as Rich points out – for everyone – you can be a covered up as you like. Personally, I remove everything because I’m comfortable that way and there’s never any peeking…but when I was a novice I kept the underwear on – it’s all good.

The key is to relax – if you don’t do that, you’ll come away from the experience disappointed.

Which ship will you be going on? The Sea Essence Duet is available only on Caribbean Princess and Sapphire Princess Lotus Spas right now. All other ships have Steiner-run spas, and the list of available options is different on those ships. If you're on CB or SP, you can download the Lotus Spa 'menu' off the Princess home page.

Lotus Spa

Here's the description of the Sea Essence Duet...

Sea Essence Duet 50 minutes

Enjoy the dual benefits of a creamy exfoliation and relaxing massage. Aromatic seawater and essential oils from pine and lavender combine to nourish and soothe the skin. A self-heating mud is applied to the back and soles of the feet, releasing tension and comforting muscles.

aaaahhhh....

I will be on Coral next month.

Does anyone know if they offer that couples thing with the mud? Forgot the name already ;)

Archived