Any other "Fluffy" girls ever had a massage???

laginog

I've never had a massage in my life. Our "skinny" friend is wanting me to go with her next week on the CP to get some kind of massage. Although the idea sounds "perfectly heavenly", I have to admit, I'm hesitant to "get naked" in front of strangers!!!! How exactly do these "massages" work? Do you "strip" in front of them? I'm a "bigger girl" and I'm pretty self conscious!! Plus....I wear leg braces for a neuro muscular disease. I can walk without them but not real well and not very far or on wet ground. My friend could help, if she'd be with me though. Would we be together....or in separate rooms? Will walking be a problem??? I've tried to get my DH to go with me before but he said "No Way!!" What can I expect....or should I just tell her to get our other friend to go with her???!!!!

Kathi - I haven't had a massage on a ship but I get them done at home. I would urge you to go because they are wonderful!

How they are typically done is that the massage person will leave the room after explaining the massage and you can take off your clothes (in private) and then get on the massage table between sheets. They normally knock before they come back in. Except for the area that is being massaged - the rest of the body is covered in sheets. When you turn over, you are mostly covered up so at no time do you really feel totally uncovered.

Most massage rooms are separate and private (though I haven't had it done on a ship) - they want you to relax so I doubt there are other people talking close by. When I have my massages - when I take off my clothes, I am within steps of the massage table so there is only a few steps to walk to get on the table. Don't worry about being "fluffy" - massages are for everyone :)

I say go and have a wonderful time! You will not regret it. If you have any hesitations, I would go and speak to them before hand and share your fears (walking far on wet floors) and they can address them.

Have a good time.

I would agree...I am "fluffy" and my massage therapist at home doesn't care! The ships massage persons might be a good place to get one.....or get one at home first.....my therapist says.....if you are "embarassed" a bit...then leave panties on...you will be draped...they move the sheet accordingly....get remember one thing on the ship.....they will try and sell you products to buy because you have "so and so" issues!!!! Refuse politely!!!!! They won't mind. And do remember to tip!

Lou

laginog, do get a massage. Remove as many clothes as you are comfortable with, keeping undies on is OK is it makes you feel better. It is all about how you feel! And don't worry about walking, you can sit on the table to undress, then toss your clothes over to a waiting chair if necessary. It will be a separate small, darkish room with maybe soothing music or aroma therapy or both. I have allergies to fragrances, so at home my masseause uses non-scented oils for me, and no aroma therapy. But restful music is nice. The whole point of a massage is to relax -- so they should do everything to achieve that and nothing more. Some people like to talk, but I never talk during a massage, so you can direct your therapist to do as you wish. Just remember, you are the paying customer and you are in charge! It's all about what you want and need. :)

I'm on the flufftastic side and I adore massages.....the therapists make you feel totally at ease

One thing to keep in mind is there's a chance you'll get a male therapist (they are few and far between..which is a shame...I prefer male to female) but more often than not when making the appt they will say oh, we have time open but it's with a male...is that ok? This has only happened once to me and that was on the Grand Princess in 2002.....haven't found any male therapists since then :(

when I first got a massage I also felt " funny ". I talked throughout the whole thing and basically missed the experience. I have gone several time since and still dont feel comfortable. To me there isnt a better feeling in the world and I mean nothing better;) .The only time I didnt care was when I hurt my shoulder and was in sooo much pain I didnt care about being " fluffy ". If I really have a knot in my back or neck I just give the kids 5.00 for 10 minutes to karate chop till the pain is gone. Believe me when the ten minutes is up the kids are running for the door. They watch the clock and as soon as the clock hits ten they are outa there. I guess for some of us we will never just feel totally comfortable.

totally agree with all said here. I have gotten a massage or facial or both on every cruise I have been on and now treat myself at home once in a while (and I'm fluffy!)

It is totally discreet and not a worry about privacy. There is such thing as couples rooms but I don't think you are your friend want that. Go it alone and in minutes you won't care about a thing around you.

The spa usually offers tours on Embarkation day. I would get there that day for sure. The appointments fill up fast so best to be able to choose a time that works for you. And you can see the facility without any patrons in it.

it's wonderful. I treated my 80 year old Mom to a facial on our last trip and she still talks about it - she fell asleep during the treatment!

Also, if you are REALLY concerned about taking off the clothes a facial is a good alternative. Get it during your sea day for formal night. You can wear shorts or something so you are not totally naked. They incorporate a small massage of neck and shoulders and you will look absolutely radiant!

Enjoy .. go for it .. you will never see these folks again!

mary beth

I feel like I'm kinda butting in here but have any of you done the couples massage thing they offer? (Sue/Doris if you even think of telling Lisa I asked about this I will totally deny it)

Why, Isn't Lisa going to be the other half of your couple?? :D

I'm not much for salon pampering...although I am learning to enjoy it.

BUT I LOVE MASSAGES!!! I have never felt uncomfortable, and I am certainly not one of the skinny girls...I have always had women, one who was a "fluffy" girl herself. Now, if it was a hot guy, I might be more uncomfortable...8 months pregnant I had to have a "version" (try to turn breech baby from outside). The hot doctor had to do it, since my petite lady doc wasn't strong enough. I am HUGE pregnant, so I felt like a beached whale! Guess if I can get through that, I could handle it.

They do cover any parts they aren't working on w/ towel, and you can leave panties on. BEST thing for personal pampering. GO FOR IT!

Kristin

I am green when it comes to a "couple" massage..have only experienced that alone. How is it different, except for the obvious? I assume there are 2 beds next to each other and 2 massage therapists? Why wouldn't 2 friends want to do it together? I feel really dumb here......

Massages are wonderful. I haven't had a massage on Princess before but I would think that the practices are very similar to regular spas. Take off whatever you're comfortable taking off. Some people prefer to be nude while other prefer to leave their panties on. Like Coral mentioned, you're usually robed and then the massage therapist will leave the room so you can dis-robe and climb inbetween the sheets (lying down on your stomach). Whenever you're asked to turn onto your back you're always covered (from my experience the only reason I've been asked to turn onto my back is so that the massage therapist can give me a head, shoulder, neck, arm, leg, feet massage).

Couples massages are wonderful. Though they're quite pointless b/c you never speak to the other person during your massage (half the time you're asleep b/c it's so comfortable), it's nice to know that someone you're comfortable with is in the room w/ you.

Enjoy your massage. You will love it! And if you have concerns re: your brace speak to the massage therapist and I'm sure she/he will have suggestions as how you can get onto the table and what not!

I am also a fluffy girl and I adore massages. I get one on every cruise, it's one of my traditions.

I have NEVER been talked to about buying products after a massage on a cruise ship, and I have had massages on RCL, Princess, NCL, Carnival. The closest thing to a "sale job" after one was when I had a stone massage on the Legend last December, the therapist suggested that I get a follow-up regular massage a couple of days later to help with some serious muscle stress I was complaining of.

At no time during my massages do I feel "naked" or exposed. They are very careful to uncover only the area they are going to work on, everything else is covered with a sheet. The rooms are usually kept warm and comfortable with soft music. I don't recall ever hearing anything outside of the room during a massage. It feels very private and safe....I usually doze off for a few minutes during my massages. Usually after a few minutes she will ask you if she is using enough pressure, or too much, just let them know. I would suggest that you plan a massage for a time when you will have plenty of time afterwards for a nap and shower....the oil they use will get into your hair so you will not want to run down to dining room immediately.

I have gotten addicted to those stone massages. They are wonderful.....I can't wait until November for my next one!!

Laginog, I passed merely "fluffy" 20 years ago and I timidly decided to brave my very first massage on the Grand Princess in February as I hurt my neck lugging baggage around the airport on the trip down. It was incredible and my daughter and I now refer to the spa as "heaven on the seas". One thing though, on the Grand you disrobe in the change room, don a terry towel robe and make your way down a curved hallway to the treatment room waiting area before being ushered into your actual massage room. Check out the spa area on the CP on your departure day and raise your concerns about walking without your braces. I'm sure they will tell you to leave them on until you actually get into the treatment room and the massage therapist will help you off and on with them. These folks are registered massage therapists, many have hospital experience and are quite familiar with all types of injuries, disabilities and bodies. They are completely professional and VERY discreet. I have to say that if I were you, I'd brave it alone, not only for the peaceful mood of the experience but also for the privacy of the relationship between you and the RMT. I'm positive that you will have absolutely no difficulty without your friend or DH. I enjoyed myself so much that I did the seaweed wrap three times on a seven day cruise, my daughter did ionathermy three times and we have already budgeted for 4 similar treatments each on our 10 day trip next February, wallet and modesty be damned! Not only was I relaxed and pain free for the first time in a year, but my skin felt like a baby's! My attitude now is that you will never see these people again, so why should you care what they think of your body? There are worse bodies in the world than yours or mine and nobody cares, so you go, girl!!! ;)

Archived