Any other "Fluffy" girls ever had a massage???

laginog

Solocruiser, I pulled my spa handout from my Grand file and I have the following massage type treatments available in the Steiner Spa:

Ionithermie: figure corrective and firming treatment - 50 mins for $120

Seaweed Massage: detoxifying wrap and massage (includes a divine scalp and foot rub as well) 75 mins $158

Lime & Ginger Salt Glow: exfoliation and body polishing along with the massage 75 mins $160

Chakra Stone Therapy: oil massage using warm and cool stones 60 mins $158

Couples Massage - hot oil massage on side-by-side tables - 50 mins for $220

There are of course other treatments like manicures and pedicures along with facials and hair treatments. After reading this thread, I'm definitely going to try the lime & ginger and maybe even the ionithermie along with my favourite, the seaweed in February! What I wouldn't give to have a massage right now....

Well....I think I just might do it!!! It sounds like lots of "fluffy" ladies have done it already so....I'm assuming these masseuses have pretty much seen it all!! So.....as of this moment...unless something changes my mind.......I'm doing it!!!! I wish I could get my DH to do the "couples" massage but he's a "big guy" and there's NO WAY he'll give in and do it. I can't even get him to get his feet done!!! So....I guess it will be my first ....and probably not my last massage!!!!

My husband and I tried the couples massage on the Golden 2002. It was lovely but not much different than having a massage by yourself. No one talks, you're half-asleep . . . . Zzzzzzz.

I tried the hot stone massage on the Grand 2003. It was very nice but, at the end, the lovely young woman, raises the head of my table, pulls up a stool, and procedes to try to sell products. (I understand they are pressured to sell by their management.) I ,of course, am naked under the sheet and felt a little vulnerable - at a disadvantage - kind of like a prisoner until she finished her sales pitch.. It ruined any relaxing effect of the massage.

This February on the Golden, I will state BEFORE the massage that I will not be purchasing any products today and please don't try, as I really need to feel relaxed. I felt I had wasted $160 plus tip!

I sure do love massages and cruises!

Lovebrits, we never had that experience and I understand why you were uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, at the end of the cruise, my daughter and I bought one of their shower gels and a nice spray bottle of tea tree oil which we're still using. We wanted the shampoo and lotion used in the cabins but didn't find out until it was too late that it wasn't available through the spa but had to be purchased at one of the boutiques - which was closed by then, naturally( :mad: ). The two products we did purchase are great and we undoubtedly will get a new supply next year and we'll be sure to hit the boutique at least a day before we come back to port to get that lotion. :)

I have never had a full massage either..after reading all you great comments I think I will try one on my next trip in Feb..I fall well into the "fluffy" dept also so the encourgement here is welcome...

I believe just about every new ship has a Lotus Spa..at least that was the management on both the Star and Island.

I believe just about every new ship has a Lotus Spa..at least that was the management on both the Star and Island.

This is from the Cruise Critic review of the Star Princess

"The Lotus Spa, the ship's Asian-influenced area for all-things-fitness, has its own pool, this one allowing you to swim-against-the-current, not to mention two whirlpools.

The Asian-influenced Lotus Spa, run by the ubiquitous Steiner, encompasses a gym, workout studio, beauty salon and treatment rooms for the usual (massages, facials) -- and unusual, such as the wild strawberry back cleanse. Unique to Star Princess is a tropical floral aromatherapy bath and the Asian Lotus Ritual, a two-hour treatment that includes Reiki, Thai Massage, Hawaiian Lomi Lomi, Chinese Tui and Balinese Massage. One neat feature is the spa's thermal suite, with aromatherapeutically-oriented steam rooms. A less appealing feature is the Steiner hard sales pitch for beauty products at the end of a treatment."

It appears that the Star and the Island DO have the Lotus Spa, and perhaps the items offered in the Lotus Spa brochure are available on those ships as well, but you cannot book on line for these because they are still run by Steiner and not by Princess, as are the Lotus Spas on the Caribbean Princess and the Sapphire Princess.

Thanks for pointing out that the newer ships DO have a Lotus Spa. That may help some of the folks on these ships, if the brochure is the same for the Steiner-run and Princess-run spas.

we have to say when i was on the cp for the 9/11 sailing i had a hot stone message on the first day at sea which was monday - and i am a large fluffy woman and love it and the message was great - i get message all the time at home in south florida - if you get it done early in the day you will be so relaxed you will not know what to do - go get it done you will enjoy it

there is nothing and I mean nothing more relaxing than a massage. I am a fluffy girl and I go every other week for a massage. I go to a local massage school. We get both guys and gals for our therapist. I just took a friend of mine with me who is very SHY and fluffy. She's NEVER experienced anything like this before. She is hooked now!!!

My DH loves to go with me as does my older friend who goes with me twice a month.

Just relax and let your mind go - you'll love it. I PROMISE :)

Three pages of massage talk - who wants to give me one? :)

You might also want to look into some of the other types of massages that focus on particular body areas. For example, head/neck/shoulders. You can also do a manicure or pedicure that usually comes with an arm or leg massage. It's just another way to get some of the same relaxation benefits without having to take your clothes off.

Good therapists are professionals, just like doctors. They're used to seeing all body types and will make you feel comfortable no matter what. Don't forget - you're paying for it and their tip too.

As for women/men thing, I'm female and have always had women masseuses with one exception. When the guy walked into the waiting room and asked for me, my heart stopped. I realized I never even thought to verify I would get a female. It turned out to be one of the best massages I've ever had!

Archived