New Passport Thread

Merion_Mom

Yes, they send your old passport back. What I found interesting was they stapled one of my new PP pictures in the old wothless PP.:confused:

I applied for my renewal on 1/29 and got it back 2/15. Bad thing was a great opportunity had come up but I couldn't take advantage of it because I had to fly and my PP was in transit.:(

GF applied for hers (new application) on January 16 at the courthouse. (The post office that accepted applications couldn't decide when they were taking lunch. I called before we headed there, and was told that they had just left for lunch and would be back in 45 minutes. We arrived over an hour later and were told that they had just left for lunch and would be back in 45 minutes. :mad: I'm convinced they only have the desk and sign, but nobody to actually process the applications!)

Anyway, she recieved her passport (complete with microchip) around February 7th (which would be 22 calendar days). :D I'm not sure the exact date as I was on my cruise with family, so allow a day plus or minus as error.

Hope this info helps!

We applied for my daughters renewal on January 19th and got her new one within two weeks, I don't remember the exact number of days, somewhere between 12-14.

To all of you reading this thread, consider yourselves lucky and wise for taking care of this during a lull time. I have a feeling people will rush later on, I don't know when, but it will be when they are absolutely mandatory. A lot of people are lazy, unconcerned, or need to be forced to do things, they always want to wait until the very last minute to take care of things. Those are the people who end up waiting in longer lines, frustrated and angry that things aren't going their way.

I get so annoyed when I read others advising people to not worry, you don't need it yet, blah-blah-blah.

I have a boss like that :rolleyes:

I have a feeling people will rush later on, I don't know when, but it will be when they are absolutely mandatory. A lot of people are lazy, unconcerned, or need to be forced to do things, they always want to wait until the very last minute to take care of things. Those are the people who end up waiting in longer lines, frustrated and angry that things aren't going their way.

AND...you can be sure that any number of those people will be on CC blaming everyone but themelves for their problems.:(

My family of four applied in October and November. DH, DD and DS's came back withing 3 weeks. Mine was a different story. I got a letter from the State Department saying that my Birth Certificate was invalid.:eek: I had to call the state department to get further information. I called the 800 number and was told to call the State of New Jersey Vital Records or get on their web site. I went on the web site and it said in big read letters, If you were born in Jersery City, Hudson County click here. I click and it said that anyone born in Jersey City, NJ had invalid birth certificates. It never said why just directed me to a form to print and fill out. It required personal information. I faxed the form and a copy of my drivers license (required). I called a few days later to see if they got it and they said that I need to re-send it with an enlarged DL so they could read it. I asked what the problem was and the woman told me that the Vital Records Office in Jersey City was broken into and all the blank birth certificates were stolen. Since they couldn't trace which BC's were fake they invalidated all bc's ever issued there. It wound up costing an extra $56 to the new bc on top of the cost of the passport. The entire process took about 7 weeks altogether for me. I used it for the first time on our NOS trip in January. Passports are so easy to use!

If anyone out there was born in Jersey City, NJ get a new birth certificate even if you already have a passport. It will save you a huge headach in the long run.:rolleyes:

My family of four applied in October and November. DH, DD and DS's came back withing 3 weeks. Mine was a different story. I got a letter from the State Department saying that my Birth Certificate was invalid.:eek: I had to call the state department to get further information. I called the 800 number and was told to call the State of New Jersey Vital Records or get on their web site. I went on the web site and it said in big read letters, If you were born in Jersery City, Hudson County click here. I click and it said that anyone born in Jersey City, NJ had invalid birth certificates. It never said why just directed me to a form to print and fill out. It required personal information. I faxed the form and a copy of my drivers license (required). I called a few days later to see if they got it and they said that I need to re-send it with an enlarged DL so they could read it. I asked what the problem was and the woman told me that the Vital Records Office in Jersey City was broken into and all the blank birth certificates were stolen. Since they couldn't trace which BC's were fake they invalidated all bc's ever issued there. It wound up costing an extra $56 to the new bc on top of the cost of the passport. The entire process took about 7 weeks altogether for me. I used it for the first time on our NOS trip in January. Passports are so easy to use!

If anyone out there was born in Jersey City, NJ get a new birth certificate even if you already have a passport. It will save you a huge headach in the long run.

Well,THAT'LL teach you to be born in Jersey City! :eek: ;) :D :D :D

i just got my pictures this morning and have done the online application. i will go to the post office on sat. or monday to apply and i will let everyone know when i get mine.

my boyfriend's mom was adopted from germany. does this mean his will take longer? should he expedite?

we are traveling june 1

We applied for my daughters renewal on January 19th and got her new one within two weeks, I don't remember the exact number of days, somewhere between 12-14.

To all of you reading this thread, consider yourselves lucky and wise for taking care of this during a lull time. I have a feeling people will rush later on, I don't know when, but it will be when they are absolutely mandatory. A lot of people are lazy, unconcerned, or need to be forced to do things, they always want to wait until the very last minute to take care of things. Those are the people who end up waiting in longer lines, frustrated and angry that things aren't going their way.

I get so annoyed when I read others advising people to not worry, you don't need it yet, blah-blah-blah.

I have a boss like that :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the cost of forking out about $465 for a family of five that's making me hope I won't need to get new passports. That's why I subscribed to the Homeland Security update notices--just in case they change the policy again. I don't want to be stuck at the last minute--but that's a lot of money to spend for something that will probably not get much use!

OK Will somebody answer this question.

Does our son and daughter (ages 12 and 9) NEED A PASSPORT.

We are going on AOS in June. I have been told different stories. The RCCL website inidcates that cruises are still exempt from the passport req.

Please HELP!!

Homeland Security has a website: http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

It explains all of the current requirements for air, land and sea travel for US residents.

If anyone out there was born in Jersey City, NJ get a new birth certificate even if you already have a passport. It will save you a huge headach in the long run.:rolleyes:

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago, what a fiasco that is for you and Jersey City!

Maybe it's the cost of forking out about $465 for a family of five that's making me hope I won't need to get new passports. That's why I subscribed to the Homeland Security update notices--just in case they change the policy again. I don't want to be stuck at the last minute--but that's a lot of money to spend for something that will probably not get much use!

You could do what we did. One at a time and spread the cost out a bit. Do it in advance, don't wait. I kind of look at it as a guarantee of getting back into our country.

Our kids have had their passports for 5 years now, both of them are expiring this year. We've used them a lot more than we thought we would.

Archived