New Passport Thread

Merion_Mom

Was thinking about that--also thinking about the new passport card that just became available, at a fraction of the cost. Doesn't work for air, but would be worth considering for our trip-- we are So. Cal residents going to the Mexican Riviera, so don't expect to need to fly. If there was a real emergency, could always drive thru the border to get home.

Really, I was just taken aback by the notion that I must be lazy if I wasn't running to the post office to get passports.;)

OK Will somebody answer this question.

Does our son and daughter (ages 12 and 9) NEED A PASSPORT.

We are going on AOS in June. I have been told different stories. The RCCL website inidcates that cruises are still exempt from the passport req.

Please HELP!!

No, but they will need the CERTIFIED, OFFICIAL birth certificate. This is NOT the one issued by the hospital. This is the one issued by the state of birth. Most have a raised seal.

Was thinking about that--also thinking about the new passport card that just became available, at a fraction of the cost. Doesn't work for air, but would be worth considering for our trip-- we are So. Cal residents going to the Mexican Riviera, so don't expect to need to fly. If there was a real emergency, could always drive thru the border to get home.

Really, I was just taken aback by the notion that I must be lazy if I wasn't running to the post office to get passports.;)

That's why I put the or part in the sentence :) , sorry didn't mean to offend anyone! I think a lot of people will fall into the category of waiting until they are forced and have no other choice.

Stick around here a few years, you'll read every excuse in the book!

What will really surprise a lot of people is the fact that not everyone will be granted a passport just because they are American citizens. If they owe back child support (I think it's anything over $2500 in arrears), if they have arrest warrants even for traffic violations, they will not be able to obtain a passport.

If your name and birthdate happen to be close or the same as someone with the above problems, they may investigate you further.

As another person found out, their birth certificate wasn't any good. That happened to us with our daughters B/C, even though we obtained it through our county when she was born. The issuing certificates at that particular time were easily counterfeited, so all of them were of no use, this was the State of California.

In other words, don't get caught in a pickle!

If your name and birthdate happen to be close or the same as someone with the above problems, they may investigate you further.

You may have this problem even if you do have a passport--a friend got stuck at the Canadian border because her husband had the same name as someone they were looking for--ended up missing their return flights because of it!!

As another person found out, their birth certificate wasn't any good. That happened to us with our daughters B/C, even though we obtained it through our county when she was born. The issuing certificates at that particular time were easily counterfeited, so all of them were of no use, this was the State of California.

Wow--what a royal pain! We've used our bc's before, for travel, so would hope that problem wouldn't come up---but you are correct--you just never know! I think those passport cards are looking really good right now. At least we'd have a heads up on any issues like this. DH and I are going on a 4 night trip in 2 months, but our family trip is next spring, so plenty of time to work with.

In other words, don't get caught in a pickle!

Oh, and no real offense taken--I've just been a little surprised at the negativity of some posters--and I guess I've felt inclined to poke back a little bit!:) And I love a good debate now and then!

I tried to check the status of DH's renewal online tonight, and just got the usual "passports are taking 4 to 6 weeks from time of application"

Has anyone used this and actually gotten an actual status? I know the check cleared a week ago.

I tried to check the status of DH's renewal online tonight, and just got the usual "passports are taking 4 to 6 weeks from time of application"

Has anyone used this and actually gotten an actual status? I know the check cleared a week ago.

After about eight days, our status was listed as the applications having been received and being processed. The day that it was updated to say that they were mailed was the same day that we actually received them in the mail.

We are so excited,we applied on Feb 8th,they shipped on the 19th.AMAZING!! Now we are ready for our May cruise to Bermuda, first time seeing the ocean! Sorry i had to post,I am just pumped now,71 days.!!!:D

Was that standard or expedited delivery?

My son's renewal?(actually new because he first was before he was 16) came quickly like yours MM and OP.

I have some thoughts on why so quick.......

My son's was sent with a group that was expediting from our Post office, so he might have gotten the benefit of their expedite.

Our last name is VERY uncommon.

You all are on the uncle sam's Good list:)

Enjoy

Just a heads up for those of you who are getting passports in the near future - I applied at the Post Office on Tuesday, February 18th, and I recieved my passport today, February 27th - 8 days!

I would definately say Expediated Service is a rip off at this point :)

My husband applied for his at the beginning of February and paid for expedited service and overnight shipping in both directions. (He was paranoid that he wouldn't have it for our early March trip.)

He received it in about five days. Probably didn't need to have it expedited, but I guess better safe than sorry.

As I mentioned before, they send your old passport back SEPARATELY from the new one. My old one landed in my mailbox on February 22.

To recap:

Mailed renewal application (not expedited) Thursday, January 31.

Received new passport Saturday, February 16.

Received old passport back Friday, February 22.

Archived