New Passport Thread

Merion_Mom

Update: I applied Feb 19, I recieved my passport today 3/5...15 days..I didn't recieve by birth certificate yet, I am sure I will get that in a day or 2.

my birth cetificate was with my passport ..

Maybe it's the cost of forking out about $465 for a family of five that's making me hope I won't need to get new passports. That's why I subscribed to the Homeland Security update notices--just in case they change the policy again. I don't want to be stuck at the last minute--but that's a lot of money to spend for something that will probably not get much use!

True enough you don't have to have one for cruise or land travel but what happens God forbid that something happens and you have to fly back into the states. Then you are required to have a passport. It is sort of like insurance you hope you never need it but much better to have it than have to pay later. I do remember when Primer cruise lines went bankrupt and all ships were seized where ever they were and the passangers were left to their own means to get home and since cruise ships don't normally pick you up when you didn't purchase tickets from the starting point that leaves you in the air literally. Just an example of why you might need a passport. Have also read on these boards where people were held from boarding for hours because they only had the seapass and DL but not passport even though it is not required per the US.

Applied for my 7yo DS renewal on February 15 and received it March 7. Not bad considering there were two mail holidays during this time frame!

Upon application they gave me a heads up that his birth certificat may be returned seperately - however it came wtih the passport.

Inerestingly the online tracking system states that it is still being processed....

Very happy with the turn around time. Last year applied for a passport for my then 2 yo DS in March - thought I would have plenty of time as our cruise left out July 22. It did not arrive until 2 weeks AFTER the cruise!! Luckily I had the foresight to get a duplicate of his birth certificate so at least we had the proper papers to get him on the ship!

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

How to renew your passport

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html

To expedite costs an additional $60

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79960.pdf

this is the form to fill out for renewal by mail ... information on expediting on the form.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

List of passport agencies if passport needed in two weeks or less

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

Turnaround time

**Expedite Service: If you apply for your passport today and request Expedited Passport Processing, you can expect to receive your passport in about 3 weeks. The 3 week estimated timeframe for receipt of your passport takes into consideration the additional time it may take to receive your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center when you apply for Expedited Passport Processing through a designated Passport Acceptance Facility and for the passport to be mailed to you. It may take longer for customers who apply for a renewal by mail without "Expedite" marked on the mailing envelope. Effective August 16, 2007, the Department’s standard for expedited passport processing completion, as defined in 22 CFR 51.56, is ten business days from either: 1) receipt of your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center; or 2) if the passport application is already at a Passport Agency/Center, the date your request for expedited passport processing is approved. Expedited passport processing is considered complete when the passport is ready to be picked by an applicant or when it is put in the mail to the applicant.

Customers are advised to continue to check this website. Passport demand is seasonal in nature with peak periods falling between January and July. We recommend applying outside these times whenever possible.

If your not traveling until May, she should be fine with regular service, especially since it's a renewal. It took us 2 1/2 weeks to get one for my child back in September. If she is travelling in the Caribbean, a passport still is not required, yet.

Just realized my mom's passport is not valid anymore. She's sailing on May and needs to get her passport expedite... how do we do this? also how long does it take to get it?

They moved your thread, I was going to post this one for you.

Yurita, a passport renewal is very easy. Have her go on line, fill out the form for "renewals". Get new pictures taken and send them along with a check, the filled out form and her old passport. She will have her new passport back in no time.

Applied for first time passport on 2/25, received my birth certificate via first class mail and my passport via Priority mail (separately) in todays mail, 3/10. Exactly 2 weeks, paid for standard processing.

Edited to add: I checked online before my mail arrived today and the status still reads "processing", so it looks like they can sometimes go into the mail before the website is updated.

Our passports came today. 5 weeks from the day we applied for them. Others down here in FL are also having the same time frame. A friend of ours get his in 6 weeks. At least though, they are coming with in the 6 week time frame.

Applied for first time passport on 2/25, received my birth certificate via first class mail and my passport via Priority mail (separately) in todays mail, 3/10. Exactly 2 weeks, paid for standard processing.

Edited to add: I checked online before my mail arrived today and the status still reads "processing", so it looks like they can sometimes go into the mail before the website is updated.

Applied Feb 25th 4:00pm...got it today! Waiting on Birth certificate..but got the passport. Didn't add the rush charge either...yeah!!!!

Waaaaaaaaaa... we applied on the 25th of Feb too, and I have not seen anything yet :(

However, judging by the way the mail "crawls" in this town... I am not surprised.

Waaaaaaaaaa.... I want my passport!!!!!

Keeping fingers crossed that tomorrows mail will hold something...

Just realized my mom's passport is not valid anymore. She's sailing on May and needs to get her passport expedite... how do we do this? also how long does it take to get it?

Yurita,

I don't think it's necessary that you have the service expedited as it's been taking 2-3 weeks for the turn around. This thread is almost turning into a contest to see who can receive their passport in the shortest amount of time without express delivery service. If you scroll back and read some of the times you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Yurita,

I don't think it's necessary that you have the service expedited as it's been taking 2-3 weeks for the turn around. This thread is almost turning into a contest to see who can receive their passport in the shortest amount of time without express delivery service. If you scroll back and read some of the times you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Not ALL of them have been coming back quickly though... some have said theirs took a long time.

Personally, I sent mine on the 25th (along with others on this thread who have already received theirs), but mine has not arrived yet. :(

Not ALL of them have been coming back quickly though... some have said theirs took a long time.

Personally, I sent mine on the 25th (along with others on this thread who have already received theirs), but mine has not arrived yet. :(

Aw, c'mon, Tova. That's just 16 calendar days ago! Sort of silly to be worried or annoyed that you haven't gotten a passport in that amount of time. :rolleyes: :eek: :)

Aw, c'mon, Tova. That's just 16 calendar days ago! Sort of silly to be worried or annoyed that you haven't gotten a passport in that amount of time. :rolleyes: :eek: :)

Merion_Mom - I agree.

Tova, I do think if you give it just a little time you'll be pleased to find that you've gotten your passport. Merion's right - 16 days is NOT a very long period of time.

Yurita, I still don't think you have anything to be fearful of, especially since this is a renewal for your mom.

Best of Luck!

Archived