Crazy question

walkman4

Hi. We are cruising this summer and will have with us our nephew who is a celebrity in the football world. I was just wondering, can you get the room numbers of people on the cruise just by asking? We are a little concerned about keeping him safe. It would be great if that info. is kept quiet. What is policy on board about giving out room numbers? We have never cruised before?

Hi. We are cruising this summer and will have with us our nephew who is a celebrity in the football world. I was just wondering, can you get the room numbers of people on the cruise just by asking? We are a little concerned about keeping him safe. It would be great if that info. is kept quiet. What is policy on board about giving out room numbers? We have never cruised before?

I am quite sure that the ship runs very much like a hotel does, and that they would not give out cabin #'s for passenger safety.

Your nephew will have to realize that he is going to be "seen" around the ship, and that if he is a celebrity people will certainly be trying to catch a glimpse or even take a picture - just human nature to try and get close to someone famous.

Good Luck! :)

Just to be on the safe side contact the purser and let him know that you do not want his cabin number released. I have several friends who forgot my sister's and mine cabin number and all they did was contact the operator, asked for my cabin number and got it. Of course I didn't mind because we were friends but I can see why you are concerned about strangers.

As far as your nephew is concerned, if he is a highly recognized celebrity (i.e. - national football championship league player) he can run but he won't be able to hide unless he plans on donning a disguise.

I appreciate your responses. I will check with the purser and make sure his cabin number is not given out. I know that he will have to just have to try to fly under the radar, and that people will recognize him and all, but maybe it will all die down after a few days. He will have a large family group to :rolleyes: try to hide in. Hopefully it won't be too much of a big deal.

Good Grief. I have been around many celebrities in my life. Yes people will look but thats why they get the big bucks. I have been on three different cruises when there were big stars. ( not that your nephew isn't) and they were having a ball. They were acting like everyday normal folks enjoying the cruise. Participating in many activities and acting like normal passengers. Why do you think they are so different that they can not be in the public and be one of us and have a good time. It sounds like you might be star struck and not allowing him to enjoy the cruise.

Good Grief. I have been around many celebrities in my life. Yes people will look but thats why they get the big bucks. I have been on three different cruises when there were big stars. ( not that your nephew isn't) and they were having a ball. They were acting like everyday normal folks enjoying the cruise. Participating in many activities and acting like normal passengers. Why do you think they are so different that they can not be in the public and be one of us and have a good time. It sounds like you might be star struck and not allowing him to enjoy the cruise.

No, he sounds like a concerned, caring uncle. (she/aunt?)

I don't know why you are so quick to be so negative.

well, interesting post and thoughts. We don't want to hide him away and no...not star struck. He is just family to us. I know he will have a great time and we are not worried about normal people asking for autographs etc. but there have been so many times that he cannot even eat for people asking for autographs or walk through a room without people flocking around him. We just WANT him to have a normal time. You obviously have not thought about what it is like for someone like him. I know that they do what they do because they love it and it goes with the territory, but he had no idea that it would be as intense as it is. He just loves to play football. Our big concern was just that they would give our room numbers. We have never been on a cruise before. His experiences with girls sneaking into his room and his university have not been great. So...JiffyMom we just want our family cruise to be as normal as it can be. Thanks.

Is your nephew still in college? If so, I doubt he would be recognized outside his area of "stardom". It is not uncommon for some college women to go bonkers over the reigning football star, however, I don't think you will find this to be true among the general cruising public.

If he is a pro player, then he may be more recognizable, but again, I don't think stalkers will be a problem. Hope you all enjoy your cruise!

In 1997 the movie "OUT TO SEA" was filmed onboard Holland America's old

Westerdam. Just imagine being on a cruise with Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Dyan Cannon, Gloria DeHaven, Elaine Stritch, Hal Linden, Donald O'Conner, Edward Mulhare, and Rue McClanahan. Cruise Travel magazine ran a story about that movie and the cruise. From what I remember, the story indicated that most of the stars were not bothered much and as a matter of fact many of the regular passengers became "extras" in the filming of the movie (unpaid extras I might add). :rolleyes: I also remember the story saying that many of the stars had their meals in the cabins with one sparkling exception; and that exception (which didn't surprise me) was Walter Mattahu who took all of his meals in the ship's restaurant. So I wouldn't worry about your celebrity being bothered or inundated with requests for autographs, posing for pictures, etc. There no doubt will be plenty of people who won't even recognize him and those that do will probably leave him alone. Play it by ear and see what happens. Keep us posted on these boards......should be interesting. ;)

Good Grief. I have been around many celebrities in my life. .

I good grief your good grief! While your basically right, it only takes 1 in a 1000 to mess things up. How many on a Voyager or larger ship? If you saw ESPN's Outside the Lines (I think it was) of NFL players being targeted for violence you might think twice as well.

One thing that nobody has pointed out... a cruise ship is definitely a "captive audience"... Unlike public venus, there are no unknown people on the ship. This should go a long way toward keeping behavior in check. Everyone is well documented, and should any unseemly behavior be a temptation, the knowledge that they would be quickly identified and caught should keep things safe.

Hopefully if people do figure out that he is there, they will understand that everyone needs a relaxing vacation once in a while! :)

Theron

Ha! That was funny. Nope he won't be assuming the H. pose. He is incredibly humble and low key. (Not that he does not want to win it...he does!)

Thank you all for your messages. I truly am astounded that the simple question of do they give out room numbers turned into this long of a thread. It has been amusing though. Thanks.:)

Ha! That was funny. Nope he won't be assuming the H. pose. He is incredibly humble and low key. (Not that he does not want to win it...he does!)

Thank you all for your messages. I truly am astounded that the simple question of do they give out room numbers turned into this long of a thread. It has been amusing though. Thanks.:)

If he wants to win the Heisman, then I assume he's a college player. I really doubt to many college football players are so "high profile" that a large number of people on a cruise ship will know who he is. It may not be an issue at all, but the short answer is, no, the don't (or at least are not supposed to) give out cabin numbers. Of course, if he does end up having any big fans, they could always just watch to see what cabin he goes to . . .

Archived