First time on a transatlantic flight...

haligonian37

....and I'm already dreading it, although it's a non-stop flight and not until late October. Anyone have tips on surviving it and arriving in one (non-stressed out) piece?

Also, my return flight is direct as well, from Barcelona to Newark (on Continental), where I have to change terminals to make a connection on Air Canada. I have a total of 3 hours (barring any delays) between flights.....will that be enough time to clear customs and get to the AC terminal? Unfortunately, it'll be my first time going through EWR, so I'm trying to get my bearings now.

Thanks in advance!

Relax, transatlantic flights are a piece of cake. Make sure you have something to do, both at the airports and on the flights. We like to read so we bring several books.

3 hours in Newark is more than enough time to change from Continental to Air Canada.

Thinking of total flying time, a trans-atlantic flight is about the same distance as if flying cross county from say, Atlanta to Seattle or Boston to Los Angeles.

Continental is a great airline. If flying on a 777, you'll have insight entertainment. I'm not 100% of the entertainment options on their 767's.

3 hours to transit EWR is plenty of time. The customs & immigrations procedures in Terminal C (Continental's terminal) is quite easy. You might also want to see what other Continental international flights will be arriving at around your same time to get a gauge on how busy customs/immigration will be. You could be the only plane or coming in with 3 other flights.

Sleeping pills can be a friend to get a good nights sleep.:) Prescription or non prescription such as the Tylenol PM etc.

Know that Tylenol PM is NOT a sleeping pill, but is an analgesic first and foremost with an additional sleep-aid included in the formulation. I would not think a good idea to take pain relievers if you don't need them.

They make a product that is just the sleep-aid without the pain reliever.

Get the info first-hand: Tylenol website for sleeplessness

Know that Tylenol PM is NOT a sleeping pill, but is an analgesic first and foremost with an additional sleep-aid included in the formulation. I would not think a good idea to take pain relievers if you don't need them.

They make a product that is just the sleep-aid without the pain reliever.

Get the info first-hand: Tylenol website for sleeplessness

Sorry, my bad.:) Thanks for the correction.

I haven't taken this but my mother has. She just referred to it recently as the Tylenol sleep stuff, and referred to it as the Tylenol PM stuff. Her mix up but I thought it was one and the same. I was using it for a non prescription example of which there are many more that seem safe.

Thanks again for pointing that out.:)

100% totally agree with BillyBob123 and FlyerTalker in that you shouldn't misuse a drug for any reason.

Travelling puts enough stress on your body, why make it worse by using a drug in an unintended way with possible unintended consequences?

The best way to sleep GOING to Europe is to either A.) Adjust your body clock in the days leading up to the fligh or B.) Wake up extra early on the day of the flight and your body will be naturally tired by the time you're leaving the east coast.

Also drink PLENTY AND PLENTY of water on the flight. Staying hydrated is the number one way to staying comfortable and healthy on flights.

transatlantic flights, in coach, are hell. there's no way around it. cramped spaces, screaming kids, bad food. the only good part about it is getting off the plane.

i'm dreading my 17 hours in the air (on 3 separate flights over 23 hours) to dubai in a couple days, but i'm too cheap to fly business class.

as others have said, sleeping pills are not the way to go. i read somewhere about mixing cranberry juice and water. helps keep me hydrated.

If your flight has personal entertainment screens, it will help the flight go quicker, if, like me, you have a difficult time sleeping on planes. Also a pair of noise canceling earphones is another way to help the comfort level as you listen to the movies, music or even an audio book. Another suggestion would be to bring along a good book or a puzzle book. If you tend to swell when you sit too long, try support socks and in-seat leg exercises.

I've never flown Continental, so I can't comment about the comfort in coach. On our last transatlantic flight (in November), we flew United to Rome. We were cramped once the folks in front of us put their seats back all the way - and kept them there through the entire flight. We had to ask them to pull up so we could get out to use the restroom.

On the flight back from Athens, on Lufthansa, we were again in coach but had a much more comfortable flight because we had more regular seat leg room, and when the people in front of us reclined their seats, they weren't in our laps!!

Also, another opinion regarding the Tylenol PM. I sometimes take one to help with the body aches that can accompany long flights, and if it helps make me drowsy, so much the better. I don't think that occasionally taking a pain reliever with a mild sleep aid can be termed as abusive. At least when I went to nursing school it wasn't.;) Although I do agree not to routinely take unneeded medication.

Mary

Newark Airport is terrific - bright, easy to find your way around and 3 hours is plenty of time. Plan on wearing clothing that you are comfortable in and have something to change into before landing if you plan to start sightseeing right away. A face cloth in a baggie is always great to have on hand to keep your face moisturized during the flight plus face cloths are rare in Europe and it will come in handy on tours, etc.

Take a good book or puzzles, plan to savour the flight as the beginning of a great holiday; enjoy your meal; drink lots of water and try and get a little sleep if you can. Before you know it you will be in Spain!

Kathy:)

Thinking of total flying time, a trans-atlantic flight is about the same distance as if flying cross county from say, Atlanta to Seattle or Boston to Los Angeles.

Continental is a great airline. If flying on a 777, you'll have insight entertainment. I'm not 100% of the entertainment options on their 767's.

3 hours to transit EWR is plenty of time. The customs & immigrations procedures in Terminal C (Continental's terminal) is quite easy. You might also want to see what other Continental international flights will be arriving at around your same time to get a gauge on how busy customs/immigration will be. You could be the only plane or coming in with 3 other flights.

Transatlantic flights are not bad. They can be cramped but you are going on vacation. I would take a cramped plane ride over any day at work!

Just as JPNYC said, Terminal C is for Continental - I also think some Continental Flights, including some international flights arrive at Terminal A.

In terms of helpful hints in flying any distance - drink water, bring a book, an mp3 player and headphones, gum or hard candies, move your legs around to prevent DVT, I also like handi-wipes to wipe your hands and face and try to avoid the center row of seats. (We were in the middle of the center row of a transatlantic and it was the worst flight I ever had. - Then we had another 16 hour flight to JoBerg, SA:eek: ).

My tips would include:

1) Wear comfortable clothes

2) Take off your shoes once you are seated (as long as you don't have stinky feet, LOL! :p )

3) Stand up and stretch every hour or two

4) Bring with a toothbrush and disposable facial cloth (I know Oil of Olay makes some) to freshen up once you arrive, it will make you feel loads better!

5) Treat yourself to a trashy tabloid, magazine, or book of your choosing (one that you are really looking forward to reading)

6) Bring a backup book/magazine/tabloid :)

7) Watch the in-flight entertainment: one movie, and two hours have gone by!

8) Drink a ton of water, this will also encourage you to get up and go to the bathroom (this is why aisle seats are a must for me, if I can get them!)

9) Push the sides of the headrest out so that you can lean your head on them to rest

10) Bring an extra bottle of water on the plane in case you get thirsty and don't want to trouble the attendants.

11) Bring gum to chew to avoid that ear-pressure thing

12) As soon as you arrive, try to adjust to the time difference. Personally, I try to be as well-rested before the flight as I can, just in case I can't get to sleep on the plane (crying baby, turbulance, etc.). If you are exhausted and can't sleep, it will make you even more cranky, which is not fun on vacation.

That's all I can think of for now. Don't stress, it will be over before you know it! Flying is a necessary evil, sometimes. :) Have a great time!

Wow, thanks for all of the responses and ideas! Our flight departs at 7pm and arrives 8am-ish so I think sleeping will be my first priority....and the noise cancelling headphones are a great idea. I'll be up very early that morning as my flight to Newark leaves Halifax at 7am :( but thankfully we're flying in a day before the cruise begins so that should help out with acclimating to the time difference.

As for the other hints: will try the cranberry/water combo and the face cloth hints (had never thought of that one); I'm not one for drug induced sleep, so no worries there; praying for no screaming kids (please no screaming, please!)

It's great to hear that 3 hours should be plenty of time to connect, even between terminals. One question I forgot to ask....is there a shuttle service between terminals or is it walkable?

Thanks again.....I appreciate all of your help!

I also recommend the noise reducing ear phones also. The tooth brush and tooth paste is good also. I also carry water with me and snacks! I don't fly with out a goodie bag full of snacks. Northwest broke me of not having snacks with me. I ended up handing out snacks to the people around me.

I also carry a small empty spritz bottle with me. I fill it up once pass security. I then use it to spray my face (being mindful of the people around me). It cools me off.

One thing I have found is that I just feel nasty after an over night flight. The pre-wet disposible wash clothes that is used in home health care (Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite-Aid all have them) are GREAT! I make sure to have a change of clothes in my carry-on. After clearing customs, I head straight to bathroom, wash up, change clothes and ready to start the day. All of this before getting my luggage.

You said your flight gets in around 8'ish, that means you about 7 hours to kill before your room is ready. Where ever your going, check your luggage at the hotel and explore the city. One of the worse mistakes people make is sitting down in the lobby and going to sleep. KEEP MOVING!!! Don't ever slow down!

This may sound crazy but you might want to check out the Marriott at the airport and see if you could get a decent rate for the day since you will be there all day. With your flight leaving Halifax at 7:00am assuming you live in Halifax you will be up at 3:30 in order to get dressed etc. and get to the airport two hours before departure. :eek:

Marriott has AAA (they accept CAA), Senior & other discount rates on their website.

Just an idea.

Thanks for all the advice. DH & I fly from Newark to Brussels on 3/20 (GCT river cruisetour). I have two additional tips: most transaltlantic flights do serve a meal (unlike domestic ones) plus many have free drinks. This kills some time (and helps make me drowsy). Also, while you can't carry water - or any other liquid over 3 ounces - through security, you can carry an empty water bottle. We each bring an empty bottle and visit the water fountains right by the gates. Keeping hydrated is very important on long flights- and we don't have to bother the crew as often if we start off with full bottles at boarding.

Your suggestion about getting a day room at a hotel/motel adjacent to the airport is a wonderful idea. We always do that when we have a long layover before our international flights.

It's not always possible to to book the "perfect" flight. Sometimes when using FF miles, we haven't always had the best choice of flights, in spite of booking early. So, we like to take an early flight to our gateway and book a hotel room for the day. Many times the hotel will give you a reduced rate since they can sell the room again that day. We rest, watch some TV or read, and take a shower prior to returning to the airport for our international flight. We're rested and clean and more somfortable. One tip: pick up your luggage when you arrive at your international departure airport rather than checking it through to your final destination. That way you'll know it gets on your international flight, especially if you are cruising!

Mary

Your suggestion about getting a day room at a hotel/motel adjacent to the airport is a wonderful idea. We always do that when we have a long layover before our international flights.

It's not always possible to to book the "perfect" flight. Sometimes when using FF miles, we haven't always had the best choice of flights, in spite of booking early. So, we like to take an early flight to our gateway and book a hotel room for the day. Many times the hotel will give you a reduced rate since they can sell the room again that day. We rest, watch some TV or read, and take a shower prior to returning to the airport for our international flight. We're rested and clean and more somfortable. One tip: pick up your luggage when you arrive at your international departure airport rather than checking it through to your final destination. That way you'll know it gets on your international flight, especially if you are cruising!

Mary

Mary, we think alike. We do the same thing if we are on a land holiday and not flying till late in the day/evening. If the flight is late afternoon, we arrange for a late check-out and if the flight is later than that we just pay for an extra night and use the room as you describe until we leave for the airport. Well worth the money.

Agree with your point about luggage.

most transaltlantic flights do serve a meal (unlike domestic ones) plus many have free drinks. This kills some time (and helps make me drowsy). QUOTE]

Unfortunately most of the US domestic airlines no longer server complementary alcoholic beverages during international flights in the coach cabin. Non-alcholoic drinks are still free though.

The international carriers (BA, Virgin, Lufthansa, etc.) still typically include complementary alcoholic drinks in coach on international flights.

Unfortunately most of the US domestic airlines no longer server complementary alcoholic beverages during international flights in the coach cabin. Non-alcholoic drinks are still free though.

Because of the revenue sharing agreement between KLM and Northwest, NW still serves complimentary alcohol across the Atlantic. They do charge going to Asia, though.

Since several of you are experienced flyers (& apparently drinkers too LOL), does anyone know if Continental serves free wine on it's international flights? We fly from Newark to Brussels (3/20/08- a non-stop, thankfully). Or should I make sure I have a few $5's for a glass or two (assuming the price hasn't increased LOL). I know the Newark terminal has a bar, but I don't want to drink prior to the flight; that's a little too early for me- plus I want to relax with wine during dinner, not render myself unconscious for the entire flight. Thanks!

Archived