Leaving the auto tip- easy question, I promise!

ladyhoneybee

Hi! I know that tipping questions are discussed to death, but I am curious about something- hence my post, obviously! We are first time cruisers and I was explaining the auto tipping to my DH and we both agree that leaving it is perfectly fine with us, however... his question is this:

Does the staff know whether the auto tip was left on the account or removed? He doesn't want to feel awkward about NOT leaving a cash tip after receiving service for something.

Hope that makes sense :D

It is my understanding that the staff will be advised if you remove your auto tips.

You're doing the right thing by just leaving them in place. We usually leave a little extra for the steward(s) and wait team.

If you have a problem with any staff member it is best to go to the purser's desk (sometimes called guest relations) and resolve the problem.

In 21 cruises over the past 5 years we have had one room steward who really didn't seem to care. We contacted guest services, problem resolved and we went on our merry way. We still left the auto tip on for the steward but left no extra.

Charlie

Thank you for your replies!

We understand that we can always leave more, and likely will should the service call for it. The auto tipping seems very simple and convenient- but it's foreign to us as we've never done this type of vacation. Slowly, everything is sinking in (thanks to these boards) and we're getting a grip on how cruising works :D

Thank you for your replies!

We understand that we can always leave more, and likely will should the service call for it. The auto tipping seems very simple and convenient- but it's foreign to us as we've never done this type of vacation. Slowly, everything is sinking in (thanks to these boards) and we're getting a grip on how cruising works :D

Simple advice. Go with an open mind and you will have a blast. Expect too much and you may end up disappointed. Again, this is just some simple advice.

Archived