Questions

The Boonie

My wife and I are booked on a Viking River Waterways of the Czars trip this fall. Never been to Russia before. Two questions to start...

1...Is it better to buy ruples from our local Bank of America branch before we go....Or wait till we get to Moscow...If we wait, where is the best place to purchase?

2...For any one that has done this trip in the near past, how much did you tip and when and to whom?

Unless you need ruples for some reason stick to your credit card and tip in dollars. They are very happy to take your dollars for small purchases too. We have been in Russia 3 times and have never even had a rupel in our hands.

Just have small bills so that you won't have to get change. Enjoy your trip.:)

We have not been on Viking - hopefully someone who has will post soon.

We travelled with GCT, and they give you tipping information well in advance of departure. With them, you can put the crew tip on your ship account and thus charge it . . . cash tips to the Program Director (who is with you for the entire trip) are expected. Also tips to drivers and tourguides on the order of $1 or $2 for half day are the norm.

Well I have not been to Russia but in my travels to other European countries it is much easier to get the local currency thru ATM's once you are on the ground. On my first trip I tried the B of A ahead of time - it was pricey and the employees at the bank seemed to struggle with it (maybe I was at a branch where they did not do alot of these transactions). If you really want local currency in hand you might try at the airport before departure but again the exchange will be bad there.

As to the tips - I'm sure your company will guide you - we are taking a GCT in October - on the first batch of papers I got from them they gave suggestions as to how much to tip and what currency would be most appreciate. Have a great trip!

Archived