to upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question!

shayelle

We are currently booked on Serenade March 8. We did balcony guarantee and got a decent cabin with a slightly obstructed view. We got a good price though. We are paying about $2600 total for 2 people. We have cruised 6 times and always been happy with a regular balcony cabin. Now, the question. A Grand Suite keeps popping up taunting me! It pops up available every few days, which leads me to believe an agent keeps holding it and releasing it when no one wants it. It is the only suite left on this cruise. It is 1034. It would be almost double the price we are paying now. It is our honeymoon cruise (second marriage for both of us). We have never gotten a suite before. We have done one outside, one Promenade, and the rest D1's. I think our cabin this cruise is a E1 or E2. It is a port intensive cruise. Is a suite worth it? Should we do it just because it is our honeymoon? We probably won't get a suite again because we usually cruise with our kids and we get connecting rooms which we prefer over a bigger suite for 4 of us.

Probably by the time I decide it will be gone again anyway!

Thanks,

Shannon

No way would I upgrade and pay tht much.as long as you already have a balcony and are happy with it.I would use that money somewhere else,just think that could be all of your spending money right there or close anyway.

We are currently booked on Serenade March 8. We did balcony guarantee and got a decent cabin with a slightly obstructed view. We got a good price though. We are paying about $2600 total for 2 people. We have cruised 6 times and always been happy with a regular balcony cabin. Now, the question. A Grand Suite keeps popping up taunting me! It pops up available every few days, which leads me to believe an agent keeps holding it and releasing it when no one wants it. It is the only suite left on this cruise. It is 1034. It would be almost double the price we are paying now. It is our honeymoon cruise (second marriage for both of us). We have never gotten a suite before. We have done one outside, one Promenade, and the rest D1's. I think our cabin this cruise is a E1 or E2. It is a port intensive cruise. Is a suite worth it? Should we do it just because it is our honeymoon? We probably won't get a suite again because we usually cruise with our kids and we get connecting rooms which we prefer over a bigger suite for 4 of us.

Thanks,

Shannon

isnt it nice that you can ask advise here and most people dont respond to you rudly, so back to your post, i would save the money and do more fun things your not in you room that much, and sounds like you have a balcony any way have fun happy honeymooning !!

When folks ask these types of questions, I always answer the same way...

Only you and your family understands your financial status at the moment. If upgrading isn't hard on you financially, do it, your suite will be great. If its gonna strap you to the point where you are uncomfortable, keep what you have.

You already know what you're going to do, you just arn't ready to do it yet....;)

Have fun and enjoy!!

Why waste your time posting to this when you have nothing to say?

I was asking other opinions to get perspective. Thanks for the great response though.

You're welcome.

Why not post your income and expenses and we'll see if you live above your means. Will you be paying 22% on a credit card or do you have the means to pay in full? We need your perspective :Dto give you advice that's meaningful. You know that they say "if you have to ask how much" you can't afford it.

Personally, a JS is the largest the two of us need! Now, if they GAVE me a larger suite, I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't pay for it! Have you checked the prices on the JS's? That would be a wonderful compromise, both in price and space!

You're welcome.

Why not post your income and expenses and we'll see if you live above your means. Will you be paying 22% on a credit card or do you have the means to pay in full? We need your perspective :Dto give you advice that's meaningful. You know that they say "if you have to ask how much" you can't afford it.

ntnt

to THEM to splurge. I was not asking any of you to tell me if it's worth it to ME. All I can do is take any info I get here and from my agent and make the best decision for me.

Thanks to those that helped!

Shannon

My first response generated a "database error" message, so let's see if I can resconstruct...

Well, you did ask, "should we do it..."

But in answer to your revised question, I would do it for my honeymoon or another special event, or if the cabin were going for a great price (have had that happen a couple of times). I spend lots of time in my cabin, even on a port-intensive itinerary, so having lots of extra space and some touches of luxury would greatly enhance my enjoyment of the cruise.

As CB said, a JS might be a good compromise, if there are any available. You don't get all the full suite perks, but the cabins are large and lovely, and you should get priority boarding.

I was not asking any of you to tell me if it's worth it to ME. Thanks to those that helped!

Shannon

I guess I misunderstood, I thought you were asking if it were worth it.

I answered as such since it is your second honeymoon and that is a celebration!

Since you have never had a suite I think you should try it but that is just my opinion. :)

IMHO, go for the grand suite. This is your extra special cruise and something you will always remember as such. Having the concierge lounge and those ammenities will add that special touch as well. We have stayed in 1034 and really do enjoy Grand Suites as often as possible. We are on Serenade the end of March in Grand Suite, by the way. Have a wonderful cruise and congratulations! Smooth sailing:)

but it dropped $300pp before it got swiped again. It would have been nice but we will be fine in our balcony. We've never been that interested in suites but the money wasn't an issue and I guess the honeymoon aspect of it made us think about upgrading.

Thanks again!

but it dropped $300pp before it got swiped again. It would have been nice but we will be fine in our balcony. We've never been that interested in suites but the money wasn't an issue and I guess the honeymoon aspect of it made us think about upgrading.

Thanks again!

Have a great 2nd Honeymoon and enjoy the time together in whatever cabin you are in. ;)

Thanks,

Shannon

Unless you like to stay in cabins on a port intensive cruise I would NOT do it. Thats 2,600 bucks you gonna spend for...rarely being in the suite. Unless you know all the ports and intend to spend all week on the ship, heck no. You have only one day at sea as it is.

to THEM to splurge. I was not asking any of you to tell me if it's worth it to ME. All I can do is take any info I get here and from my agent and make the best decision for me.

Thanks to those that helped!

Shannon

Shannon:

If that is your criteria, then I say if the cabin becomes available again, grab it. We spend time in our cabin relaxing, and to us it would be well worth it. No matter which cabin you're in, have a great cruise and a great honeymoon.

Archived