Continental

CleoPat

I have just been informed by Royal Carib and their contract with Continental is not being renewed as of March 1. I was flying on them internationally, so I don't know if it affects the domestic flights as well. So if any of you have Custom Air with Royal, and were planning on flying Continental, do yourself a favor and call Royal. I found out now because my cruise is coming up and I called to get seats.

I would find it hard to believe that seats that have been ticketed would be canceled. My guess is that it just means that there will be no new CO bookings after March 1. Difficult to be certain from your post -- just what were you told??

I figured it the same way as you and I argued it that way. RCI said that they could not ticket it because I was FLYING AFTER March 1.

I figured it the same way as you and I argued it that way. RCI said that they could not ticket it because I was FLYING AFTER March 1.

I can certainly see this. And the clue is "custom air". Continental is NOT making any "custom air" tickets available after March 1. "Custom air" is above and beyond the normal cruise line contract, which is what I "think" Flyertalker was thinking of.

And I question the OP-IF you booked "custom air", why are you just now getting seats???? Seats on custom air are usually available the day you book the flights. IF you just booked the cruise very recently, that answers the question. But if you booked last fall, let's say, you should have already had seats.

I think there will be more and more airlines (most likely AA) that will not sell tickets to the cruise lines. Why should they??? The planes are flying full and selling tickets to the cruise lines at heavily discounted prices cuts into the airline's bottom line.

RCI said that they could not ticket it because I was FLYING AFTER March 1.
As is so often the case, the difference between a reservation and a ticket is probably what's behind this.

Until a ticket has been issued, there's no binding contract between the passenger and the airline. So if a ticket had already been issued, then FlyerTalker's view would almost certainly hold: the ticket would not be cancelled.

But if no ticket has yet been issued, then the reservation could well be cancelled by the airline without any recourse against the airline. And it sounde like CleoPat's reservation had not been ticketed.

There are good (for the cruise line) reasons why tickets may not be issued until very close to the travel date, even if the reservations are confirmed and the price fixed. The ticket issue date is the date on which the cruise line has to pay the airline for the ticket. So obviously, the cruise line will want to hold onto your money for as long as possible before having to pay it over.

I can certainly see this. And the clue is "custom air". Continental is NOT making any "custom air" tickets available after March 1. "Custom air" is above and beyond the normal cruise line contract, which is what I "think" Flyertalker was thinking of.

And I question the OP-IF you booked "custom air", why are you just now getting seats???? Seats on custom air are usually available the day you book the flights. IF you just booked the cruise very recently, that answers the question. But if you booked last fall, let's say, you should have already had seats.

I think there will be more and more airlines (most likely AA) that will not sell tickets to the cruise lines. Why should they??? The planes are flying full and selling tickets to the cruise lines at heavily discounted prices cuts into the airline's bottom line.

I had Custom Air because I wanted to go to Milan before the cruise for two days and then to Rome. I had picked my flight, etc. and then received an email that my flight was changed. Al'Italia decided to change their flights and are no longer flying nonstop to Milan, so my arrangements had to be changed. The first change was to Continental and then when we tried to do the seats, is when they found out they couldn't and why. I'm leaving in April. So now I'm on United and seats have been "requested" but not "guaranteed" :rolleyes:

As is so often the case, the difference between a reservation and a ticket is probably what's behind this.

Until a ticket has been issued, there's no binding contract between the passenger and the airline. So if a ticket had already been issued, then FlyerTalker's view would almost certainly hold: the ticket would not be cancelled.

But if no ticket has yet been issued, then the reservation could well be cancelled by the airline without any recourse against the airline. And it sounde like CleoPat's reservation had not been ticketed.

There are good (for the cruise line) reasons why tickets may not be issued until very close to the travel date, even if the reservations are confirmed and the price fixed. The ticket issue date is the date on which the cruise line has to pay the airline for the ticket. So obviously, the cruise line will want to hold onto your money for as long as possible before having to pay it over.

I'm sure they don't ticket until you make final payment. My final payment was on 2/3 and this is why they are just now ticketing it. Not leaving until April 10. I would imagine that when we individually make an airline reservation, it has to be paid for and ticketed within 24 hours for the price whereas through RCI they can reserve it and pay for it much later.

I would imagine that when we individually make an airline reservation, it has to be paid for and ticketed within 24 hours for the price whereas through RCI they can reserve it and pay for it much later.
If you book directly with an airline as an ordinary retail customer, they do usually want payment immediately. But then the ticket is issued immediately, as you say.

If you book through a travel agent, there are many who are able to postpone paying the airline until just before the travel date. If you have a good working relationship with them, you can also postpone paying the TA. I have on many occasions paid for tickets to Australia only one or two days before I leave, with the ticket issued immediately on payment. But the confirmed reservation might have been made 3, 6 or 9 months in advance.

That's the game that the cruise lines play - although, as you say, if they haven't had the money from you in advance, that's another good reason for not issuing the ticket.

Archived