New wine policy

rubens

For those who did not notice: AZ changed their policy re. wine brought on board at embarkation: they now allow you 2 bottles PER GUEST not per stateroom anymore. Look at their website under Guest Conduct Policy:

"On Azamara Cruises, with the exception of embarkation day, when Guests are permitted to bring on board with them two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee), guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other purpose."

We embarked at ACA on Feb. 2 and took four bottles and were allowed so. Only I had to open luggage to show it was actually wine and not alcohol. Security people confirmed me it is now 2 botlles for each paying guest.

Again a good point for AZ!

Has anyone bought wine in a port during an Azamara cruise and brought it onboard? We have always been able to do this before (one or two bottles) and never had a problem. Just wondered how Azamara will handle this.

We have never had to open our suitcases at embarkation to prove it was really wine and not hard liquor!

~ Jane

This is good news, especially on the longer voyages. It will be nice to have the brand of wine we like in our stateroom - you know, the kind with the screw top! :D

Question: Can you buy beer, wine or liquor in the shop on board the Quest and bring it back to your room? Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks,

Brenda

Hi susiesan,

I saw this in "the guest conduct policy" on Azamara website and I believe reading the "Consequences Section" they can refuse to let you board.

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash,

luggage, etc.) at any time, and those concealing or attempting to conceal alcohol will be subject to

action pursuant to the “Consequences Section” of this Guest Conduct Policy"

So, here's my question. Do they search your suitcase and really open mouthwsh bottles? Wouldn't it be better to just have a bottle of booze and if they find it let them take it then to try and conceal it. I liked the mouthwash idea but now I'm chicken.

Hi susiesan,

I saw this in "the guest conduct policy" on Azamara website and I believe reading the "Consequences Section" they can refuse to let you board.

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash,

luggage, etc.) at any time, and those concealing or attempting to conceal alcohol will be subject to

action pursuant to the “Consequences Section” of this Guest Conduct Policy"

So, here's my question. Do they search your suitcase and really open mouthwsh bottles? Wouldn't it be better to just have a bottle of booze and if they find it let them take it then to try and conceal it. I liked the mouthwash idea but now I'm chicken.

If you read threads from other cruise lines there are hundreds of posts about smuggling the prohibited evil alcohol on board. Almost all the lines have this language in their contracts. I've done this dozens of times before and never had it found. They don't have the time to stop and open the check in luggage every time they see something suspicious on the X-ray. Can you imagine them doing this when boarding one of those 3600 pax Whatever-of-the-Seas ships? If you plan to do this, don't put it in your carryon. And even if they did see it, you would already be on the ship, waiting for your luggage to be brought to your cabin. What are they going to do-call the cops and have you forceably removed because they found a small bottle off vodka in your suitcase? I doubt the police would respond to such a call as smuggling booze onto a cruise ship is not illegal, just not within a companies' policy. Now that we can bring 4 bottles of wine I won't have to bring as much mouthwash as I was planning : )

Thanks for the response. You are the experienced crusier and you're right even if they did find it they probably won't throw us off the ship. Scotch on the rocks sounds good on our veranda.:D

I agree with susiesan. These "rules" drive me nuts. I spend a ton of money on liquor every cruise I'm on. But, I also drink Stoli Razzberry and it's never been stocked on the cruises I've been on. I brought two bottles in my suitcase last trip (well protected in bubble wrap and freezer bags) and had no problems. Quite frankly, if they stocked my brand I'd buy it on the ship to avoid the hassles. But they don't stock it so that's my excuse and I'm sticking by it!!

Actually, it's only the mass market lines that have the cheesy "no liquor" rules; the upscale lines do not. Azamara is apparently a mass market line thinly disguised as "deluxe."

True. Oceania doesn't care if you BYOB. Since Azamara is an O wannabe maybe they will change this policy too in their effort to become an O clone as they did with the specialty dining policy.

rumrunnerflasks.com

box wine in checked luggage

Have had good luck with both........

Carol M

Add

I think Azamara's drink prices are outrageous "especially" when they have

inferior cheap rum and vodka in their drinks. In fact headache causes.

"rumrunnerflasks.com

box wine in checked luggage"

hey carol,

i packed rumrunner flasks in checked baggage and they were perfect.

bought the "cruise" pkg for $21.00 and filled the

3 large flasks with vodka, and the smaller flasks

with other liquers.

NO ONE opened our bags before boarding,

though i wouldn't try to bring them aboard in

the carry-on bag.

but you may remember that at santa marta i

picked up a couple of bottles of liquor at

the port shop and they were confiscated.

while somehow others had no problem ;)

laura

Has anyone bought wine in a port during an Azamara cruise and brought it onboard? We have always been able to do this before (one or two bottles) and never had a problem. Just wondered how Azamara will handle this.

We have never had to open our suitcases at embarkation to prove it was really wine and not hard liquor!

~ Jane

We bought wine in port just left in bag & put through security scanning - no problems

On the Journey last week it stated that any wine brought on board for consumption within the restaurant will be subject to $25 corkage fee. No mentionn of a limit on how much you could bring aboard, as proved by the 3 bottles we purchased and brought through the x ray machine.

Mark,

Believe it or not they changed their policy again.

When we sailed in February their website said under Guest conduct policy:

"On Azamara Cruises, with the exception of embarkation day, when Guests are permitted to bring on board with them two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee), guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other purpose."

now it says:

"On Azamara Cruises, with the exception of embarkation day, when Guests are permitted to bring on board with them two (2) bottles of wine per stateroom (which are subject to a $25.00 corkage fee), "

In February we took 4 bottles on embarkation without problem and they even confirmed it was 2 bottles each paying guest. I don't know why they changed it again.

Archived