New wine policy

rubens

We were on the 16 Feb. sailing and managed to bring on four bottles in Miami without any problem, for in-room consumption. Friends of ours - with a great deal of difficulty and persuading - managed to bring on two bottles at St. John, our first port. However, security asked for and made note of their cabin maybe to record the fact they now had brought on their two-bottle limit? In any event, after St. John, there was signage near the gangway clearly indicating that no wine or liquor was allowed to be brought on while in port apart from the initial two bottles of wine at embarkation.

I think it's a shame they're so harsh on their wine policy.

I really can't understand the purpose of Azamara's wine/liquor policies since they are completely contrary to those of other upscale lines (which is what Azamara claims to be). The higher per diems (as compared to Celebrity) should offset some lost bar revenue if pax are able to have cocktails in their staterooms. And the cruises are adult-oriented so teen or under-age drinking should not be a problem. My guess is that RCCL/Celebrity lawyers played a role in the formulation/enforcement of the policy because of previous incidents on RCCL's big ships. But I think the policy is inappropriate to Azamara and, in some ways, disrespectful of the passengers.

Hi Rubens

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe we will be able to get 4 bottles on. We leave Miami on Apr 12th and are staying on for B2B in Italy. Did you enjoy your cruise??

Mark

Yes Mark, we had a wonderful time on the Quest through Panama canal. Everything was perfect. This was for sure our best cruise so far.

As you come to Italy and I live in Belgium and know quite a lot about the Mediterranean countries , please feel free to ask if you have any specific questions

We sailed on the Journey over New Years, Buenos Aires to Santiago. We brought 4 bottles of wine onboard in BsAs and then brought a couple of local beers or liquor on board in about half of the ports. We were never questioned or searched.

Hi -

We embarked in Miami on March 1st, and we had 4 bottles of wine in our carry ons. Absolutely nothing was said about it, and our carry on went through x-ray in Miami with no problems. There is an article in our daily paper saying that any alcohol purchased onshore will be held until the last day. We have seen bottles marked behind the x-ray machine at our ports. I believe the only time you can bring anything on is at the beginning of your cruise.

Brenda

For what it's worth, it's been our experience that the only time your "checked" luggage is x-rayed is, naturally, at embarkation when you first board the ship... and that x-ray inspection is performed by the GOVERNMENT, not the cruise line. They are not likely to care what's in the luggage so long as it's not against the law.

At subsequent ports it's the ships own personnel who put everything you carry back onboard thru the x-ray machines.

You may draw your own conclusions from this. WE, of course, would never violate the ship's rules :rolleyes: . (Make a note of that, Azamara spies who may be reading these postings.)

For those who did not notice: AZ changed their policy re. wine brought on board at embarkation: they now allow you 2 bottles PER GUEST not per stateroom anymore.

Excellent news, thanks!

• 6 months later...

I am confused. What is Azamara's current policy about bringing wine on board? According to one poster, the policy is now two bottles of wine per person, but according to the Azamara FAQ, the policy is two bottles of wine per cabin.

We just got back from the Journey Holyland tour, and we brought back bottles of wine and liquor in several of the ports. They were in our totebag which was scanned and noone gave us any trouble. I think the only time they take the alcohol away is when they are in the obvious wine boxes. Have a great trip! We loved the Journey.

My husband just called Azamara and they said only 2 bottles of wine per cabin at embarkation. She also said you were not allowed to bring any on at the other ports. It sounds from the above posts that it sometimes works though.

I agree with susiesan. These "rules" drive me nuts. I spend a ton of money on liquor every cruise I'm on. But, I also drink Stoli Razzberry and it's never been stocked on the cruises I've been on. I brought two bottles in my suitcase last trip (well protected in bubble wrap and freezer bags) and had no problems. Quite frankly, if they stocked my brand I'd buy it on the ship to avoid the hassles. But they don't stock it so that's my excuse and I'm sticking by it!!

I agree. They are being ridiculous. Even when I take my own wine, i ALWAYS buy wine in the dining room and martinis and their drinks of the day at the bars. I do like wine on my verandah though, and I like the choice of not only having it there for ease, but also because I get to choose my favorite wine if I bring it myself.

I spend tons in their shops and on shore excursions. Why cruise lines want to alienate loyal customers by being so picky about the wine policies completely baffles me. it is petty.

At least through 2001, HAL kept wine / liquor stores on board, and you could take these back to the cabin. This was great, you didn't have to worry about carting anything aboard, there was a decent selection at reasonable prices, and they made a little money on the sales. But I think this stopped when Carnival took over the line (along with the excellent food).

It would be nice to see to see the premium lines return to this sort of compromise. I agree that what they're doing now is sort of chintzy, something Commodore cruise lines did before they folded.

The only thing I see on Azamara is that you can buy youself a "bon voyage" package, which means about $60 per bottle on medium shelf liquor, $80 per bottle on top shelf, more than double what we'd pay in Ohio, though it includes mixers and snacks. I guess that's still a bit cheaper than the bars, and you can enjoy them on your own veranda. Does anyone have any experience with these packages? Do you have to pre-order, or can you just order them when you feel like it?

We were on the Quest sailing of 13th September. We asked our butler soon after embarkation about one of their Bon Voyage packages and it was delivered to us within the hour. No need therefore to pre-order.

We just returned from a fantastic cruise on Regent--owed not one dime when we left the ship after 7 days. It was wonderful to not have to sign for drinks and wine and after dinner drinks.

That being said, I cannot afford to sail Regent all the time. Even if my liquor bill is $300 or more per person on Azamara, I will still be saving thousands of dollars. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to sail Seabourne or Regent but just can't afford it. So, I will pay for the good wine I can find and buy on board--I am not a wine expert; I buy $15 to $20 bottles at home (and realize that they will cost me double on the ship) and I will order my drinks and specify my brand of liquor. What will bother me the most, however, is having to sign the bill each time.

Life is unfair, but I am thankful that I can afford to cruise at all. Actually, life is good. If this is the worst problem I have, then I am lucky--and blessed.

Mom C

Archived