Anyone rent a car in Honolulu?

dyanalee

We also rented cars in every port and it was very easy. I called the local car rental office to check if they offered pick up at the pier. They all did and we didn't have any problems. If you rent in Kona, make sure to do it at the King Kamahemahe Hotel and not the airport. The hotel is a block or so from the pier and the airport is quite a distance away.

Susan

You will find a wealth of information under the Ports of Call board for Hawaii. For each port of Hawaii you'll find great information for each island and where to pick up cars etc.

FYI we rented a car in every port except Kona, great fun.

Thank you for the info. We have all our shore excursions booked except for Honolulu, we sorta just wanted to do things on our own. I checked with Enterprise and they do pick you up, but the car has to be back at 6 PM, and wouldn't you know, this is the Island that we spend most time on. I was going to book it before we leave so I think I will check someone else.

Dyanalee

You will find a wealth of information under the Ports of Call board for Hawaii. For each port of Hawaii you'll find great information for each island and where to pick up cars etc.

FYI we rented a car in every port except Kona, great fun.

We did exactly the same thing on a cruise with Norwegian last Feb...every port except Kona. We rented from Budget. Sign up with their blue chip promotion and you get priority service, separate checkout counter, etc.

We rented cars in each and every port except Maui. In Honolulu we rented from Thrifty, someone had to call the office for them to finally pick us up at the ship which they then did. We were able to arrange a later drop off than 6 pm although we didn't end up taking advantage of it.

We loved Honolulu and the car was instrumental in allowing us to do the things that we did at our own pace.

Has anyone rented a car in Honolulu to do some siteseeing on their own? And do they pick you up at the port?

We spent 3 days pre-cruise at the Waikiki Marriott and rented from Hertz for a 1 day trip to the North Shore (Hertz has an office in the Marriott), spent the rest of the time at the beach and on foot.

We took a shuttle to and from the airport, remember if you rent a car from the airport most hotels will charge a overnight parking fee up to $25.00 per day.

There is a rental agency approx. 3/4 blocks from the pier. I think it is Enterprise or Thrifty. You could check by going to their individual websites & looking at the map of the location. I don't think that the airport locations pickup/drop off at the pier.

Jack

We were fortunate enough to stay with friends for 6 days on Oahu before our cruise and rented from Thrifty. Thrifty was going to pick us up at the airport and when we returned the car they would drop us off at the Pier but instead our friends did this.

We also registered beforehand for the Thrifty Blue Chip and by using my American Express we got an additional 10% off. In Hilo we couldn't get a Thrifty rental so we used Dollar and had great service.

At all of the ports that we rented from they all had pick up and drop off service to the rental car areas.

We used Alamo who were doing an internet special. Book online for $40/day. 4 of us went (and we even got a free upgrade), so that was $10 each plus about $18 gas. An 8 hour excursion for $14.50 each! Why can't Princess do that?:D If you go to Alamo, use the Ala Moana Blvd office (not the airport). They will pick you up/drop you, but if you are back after their shuttle bus finishes, the public bus stop is right outside the office and drops you back to the square by the Aloha tower.

Simon

Archived