Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

A few questions first:

What cruise line will they be sailing on (so I know which terminal they will be leaving from)

Are they coming alone, or will you be with them

Do they have any special needs (i.e. wheelchair, hearing impaired, et cetera)

Seattlecruiselover-

They are going on Celebrity, so i think that is pier 66. They are traveling with another couple, but we are not going. I just want all the details to be worked out ahead and for it to be NO TROUBLE at all to get to the hotel, eat and leave for the ship the next day. They tend to get a little anxious with details and they don't travel a whole lot. They really don't have any special needs and are able to get around walking fairly well. Since I'm having such a hard time finding something downtown, I thought I would just try a different area. It would also be great to have a hotel with breakfast included. I was thinking like a Homewood Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, etc. I would like to use priceline if possible.

There is a Homewood Suites on Western Av about 2 miles from Pier 66 that has some availability that weekend. They offer a full breakfast every morning, and enough dinner type snacks to make a full meal of in the evening, along with a small convenience store for microwaveable things as well. Their prices are reasonable. It would take a taxi about three minutes from there to the pier, and the hotel will call them for you. If that doesn't work out, let me know and I will give you some other ideas nearby.

Hi Karen:) I think we should nominate you for Seattle Citizen

of the Year and the Chamber of Commerce should give you

a Key to City for being most helpful!!!:)

Hi Karen:) I think we should nominate you for Seattle Citizen

of the Year and the Chamber of Commerce should give you

a Key to City for being most helpful!!!:)

I agree with you.

And Karen, you are our favorite citizen of the year in Seattle.

I'd give you the key to the city but since I don't live there I'll send on my blessings for your designation.

thanks for all you do for our CC members visiting Seattle.

Dianne

I agree with you.

And Karen, you are our favorite citizen of the year in Seattle.

I'd give you the key to the city but since I don't live there I'll send on my blessings for your designation.

thanks for all you do for our CC members visiting Seattle.

Dianne

All y'all are more than welcome. I am hoping that our city puts her best foot forward for you when you are here. It is such a beautiful place that I would not want anyone to go home disappointed.

Actually, Lois, my daughter says that I should tell them that they should pay me for doing their job for them....:D

Oh, you have a smart daughter:) :D ...I agree with her as well:)

Change of plans - we were supposed to meet up with my dh cousin in Kingston prior to the cruise, and now we are meeting up with them post-cruise. Scrambling to find a hotel one night only on 5/17/2008 near Terminal 30, downtown, or airport. Had considered the LaQuinta, but just went to TripAdvisor where a couple of recent reviews were very bad. We don't plan on doing anything upon arrival. Arriving sea-tac at 6:00 PM one day prior to cruising, and hoping to be at Terminal 30 (Holland America) by 10:00 am on May 18, 2008. Considering Priceline for hotel, however not sure what area to search, and how many stars to search for? Also, we can get a rental car from Thrifty that can be dropped off at Pier 48 with a free shuttle to Terminal 30--one day rental cost is $20.40 which includes all taxes, etc (mid-size or larger car).

Should we hassle with the rental car pick-up and drop-off, or just pay for a taxi to the hotel and pier? Last time we were in Seattle, we took a bus from sea-tac to a lake union hotel, which ended up on the road for 1 1/2 hours and almost was in an accident. That was definitely not worth the price of $14.00 each.

The Homewood suites downtown is $220 per night and I was hoping to find something less expensive. What is your opinion about the airport location?

Tukwila is OK. I work in Tukwila and I haven't had any problems there. Depending on where it is located, though (and I've not got the exact address here with me now), there may not be any public transit nearby.

Change of plans - we were supposed to meet up with my dh cousin in Kingston prior to the cruise, and now we are meeting up with them post-cruise. Scrambling to find a hotel one night only on 5/17/2008 near Terminal 30, downtown, or airport. Had considered the LaQuinta, but just went to TripAdvisor where a couple of recent reviews were very bad. We don't plan on doing anything upon arrival. Arriving sea-tac at 6:00 PM one day prior to cruising, and hoping to be at Terminal 30 (Holland America) by 10:00 am on May 18, 2008. Considering Priceline for hotel, however not sure what area to search, and how many stars to search for? Also, we can get a rental car from Thrifty that can be dropped off at Pier 48 with a free shuttle to Terminal 30--one day rental cost is $20.40 which includes all taxes, etc (mid-size or larger car).

Should we hassle with the rental car pick-up and drop-off, or just pay for a taxi to the hotel and pier? Last time we were in Seattle, we took a bus from sea-tac to a lake union hotel, which ended up on the road for 1 1/2 hours and almost was in an accident. That was definitely not worth the price of $14.00 each.

I would avoid the LaQuinta. I would also avoid Thrifty Rent-A-Car at their Pier 48 location.....very slow and backed up with drop offs and pick ups on cruise days.

Staying near the airport is certainly an option, with a taxi to Terminal 30 the next morning. Lots of good hotels, for considerably less than downtown in that area, and taxi about $30-40 to downtown (Terminal 30 is NOT in the flat rate taxi from the airport area).

Karen Queen of Seattle Info,

Hi YA , What do you hear about the Hotel Max over on Stewart street? I have a reservation there but it's not burnt in stone. It looks like a fun place and I think a pretty good location. I have heard the rooms are small but that's about it.

TIA

Dianne

Hi Karen -

I've discovered that there used to be a free waterfront trolley line that has been replaced by bus route #99, also free. I like free, :D and I'm thinking this might be an option to the double-decker bus tour that we were planning on for our pre-cruise sightseeing. The free bus goes to Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market, but not Seattle Center. Is there a way to get to Seattle Center from the bus 99 route? Is Seattle Center within the downtown "free bus" zone? How difficult is it to use the bus system? I'm not used to using big city mass transit, so I'm a little worried about getting us all lost or stranded somewhere!

As always, thanks for all your help!

- Lisa

Karen Queen of Seattle Info,

Hi YA , What do you hear about the Hotel Max over on Stewart street? I have a reservation there but it's not burnt in stone. It looks like a fun place and I think a pretty good location. I have heard the rooms are small but that's about it.

TIA

Dianne

Location IS good. It's not a four star, but neither is it a flop house. It's right across the street from the new Federal Courthouse.

Hi Karen -

I've discovered that there used to be a free waterfront trolley line that has been replaced by bus route #99, also free. I like free, :D and I'm thinking this might be an option to the double-decker bus tour that we were planning on for our pre-cruise sightseeing. The free bus goes to Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market, but not Seattle Center. Is there a way to get to Seattle Center from the bus 99 route? Is Seattle Center within the downtown "free bus" zone? How difficult is it to use the bus system? I'm not used to using big city mass transit, so I'm a little worried about getting us all lost or stranded somewhere!

As always, thanks for all your help!

- Lisa

Actually, it does NOT go to Pike Place Market. It goes to the waterfront street level near the Market's garage, but you have to get up into the Market from there, either by the Pike Place Market Hill Climb, or by the elevators in the garage.

Seattle Center is outside of the free ride zone by about six blocks (you could walk it easily). From the market, walk up to 3rd & Pike and catch any of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 13 or 16 buses, and get off at the last stop in the free ride zone, which is Bell Street and walk from there (or stay on and pay $1.75 per person one way and they will any of them stop on one side of Seattle Center or the other).

Seattle is not a big city (in anything but square miles) whatsoever. Any of the places that you want to go are fairly close to each other. If you remember that the BIG body of water (Elliott Bay) is always west, it is easy to orient yourself for directions (the smaller bodies of water (Lakes Union and Washington) are always to the east of downtown).

Karen,

I have our whole trip planned ..except I seem to be a little lost on flying into Seattle.. and getting to see some of it.. before getting on NCL. Friends have booked me and my BF at the Mediterranean Inn (@120) - the problem I am having is I have heard (possibly from you on here) is that this is a "extended stay" hotel. That worries me a bit..

I was thinking since we are flying from SW florida and will be getting in your time around 8 in the evening.. we will just want to crash.. so perhaps the airport might be a better idea? The problem is I do so want to see some of seattle and the only time will be that morning before boarding (not exactly sure what the latest safe time it would be to board NCL) - and if we stayed at the airport could we drop our luggage with them first and then run around downtown before boarding.

Any help you may provide to that idea? Should I just stick with the Mediterranean, see Seattle in the morning, and go back for luggage before boarding?

Oh Boy.. just saw you had already answered my questions on luggage drop off and boarding.. short term memory!! so.. I will be fine with the Mediterranean right?? :)

Thanks for the info. I have decided to scrap the rental car and will probably use a taxi to get from the airport to a hotel that offers a free shuttle bus to Terminal 30. Can you tell me which hotels you know of offer the free shuttle bus to that Cruise Terminal?

Karen,

I have our whole trip planned ..except I seem to be a little lost on flying into Seattle.. and getting to see some of it.. before getting on NCL. Friends have booked me and my BF at the Mediterranean Inn (@120) - the problem I am having is I have heard (possibly from you on here) is that this is a "extended stay" hotel. That worries me a bit..

I was thinking since we are flying from SW florida and will be getting in your time around 8 in the evening.. we will just want to crash.. so perhaps the airport might be a better idea? The problem is I do so want to see some of seattle and the only time will be that morning before boarding (not exactly sure what the latest safe time it would be to board NCL) - and if we stayed at the airport could we drop our luggage with them first and then run around downtown before boarding.

Any help you may provide to that idea? Should I just stick with the Mediterranean, see Seattle in the morning, and go back for luggage before boarding?

Oh Boy.. just saw you had already answered my questions on luggage drop off and boarding.. short term memory!! so.. I will be fine with the Mediterranean right?? :)

It's not an extended stay hotel. It is a furnished studio apartment building that lets out its unrented apartments on a nightly or weekly basis until they are rented. It is the best of its three sister properties, is in an OK area of Queen Anne (i.e. safe and usually pretty quiet). For one night, I would not hesitate to stay there (I lived in one of the sister properties on the other side of Seattle Center for three years). You can get to Pier 66 in a taxi in 15 minutes or less from there.

I worked check in for NCL last year at Pier 66, and we closed check in between 2 and 2:30 pm, and they are probably going to do it even earlier this year. Were I you, I would try to get there early enough to be in the front of the line for check in (they will usually start at about 10:30 am or slightly earlier/later, depending on how quickly the ship is through with disembarkation). Once you check in, you can leave and go out on the town. Once you come back all you need to do to get aboard is show your Cruise Card and your ID at the entrance downstairs (they will then know that you have already shown your cruise documents and ID), and they will let you in to go directly through security and back onboard the ship.

The concierge opens at 9:00 am to store bags, and will be there til about 3:00 pm. I would, however, be back and onboard not later than 1:45 to 2:00 pm (so that you can meet their 2 hours before sailing deadline).

Thanks for the info. I have decided to scrap the rental car and will probably use a taxi to get from the airport to a hotel that offers a free shuttle bus to Terminal 30. Can you tell me which hotels you know of offer the free shuttle bus to that Cruise Terminal?

The only one that might would be the Silver Cloud Inn Stadium. None of the others are within the 2-3 mile radius that most use for free shuttles.

Hi Karen,

This thread is getting so long (which is great) but it takes a long time to read through and see if this questions's already been asked and answered.

We are a group of 7 (possibly 8, waiting for a straggler to decide!) and are thinking about a limosine to get from the pier to the airport after our cruise.

Do you have any information/experience with limosine companies in Seattle?

Thanks.

I, along with a group of 5 other family members will be cruising out of Seattle on 6/1/08. I have been researching some things in the area and have the following in mind. We are arriving early afternoon the day before the cruise. We are cruising on NCL Pearl.

I have a van reserved from Avis that we will pick up from the airport and drop off at pier 48. Figured this would be the cheapest way to get around for a group of 6. The van was fairly cheap for the day. The following are things we want to do on the day of arrival:

1. Fish Market; I've been to business classes and seen the videos with these guys and want to see this. The other's all like shopping, so I would think this would be enjoyable. I see there is a huge memorial day festival on this weekend, so I am guessing it will be crowded. Is there parking in this area?

2. The music experience. The teenagers are wanting to see this. They like the beatles and Bob Marley, which both have some type of shows playing according to the website.

3. The space needle. (Is this worth the time?)

Post-cruise half of our group are planning to stay one extra day. We are planning to rent a car from Avis by Pier 48 and return it to the airport location the next day. We figure we should be off the cruise ship early and the kids want to go see the Olympic Mountain area. They are interested in the Forks & Port Angeles area. They have been reading the "Twighlight" book series and want to see the area that this book refers to. I like the scenic drives and the moutain views. I know this will be a long day, but we should have from 10:00 a.m. till whatever to do this. I was hoping we could be settled in by the airport by 8:00 p.m., since we will have an early flight the next morning to come home.

For the night, we booked a room at the Clarion by the airport. It was a great price and free parking. Are you familiar with this place? We are not worried about having a fancy place, just somewhere clean and safe to spend the night.

Suggestions or comments are welcomed. :)

http://www.hotelmaxseattle.com/seattle-hotel-rooms/

Hmmmmm, They describe as Having lots of art around, wonderful high thread count sheets.....I think I may go back into our thread here and find something else. I was liking it because it seemed fairly centrally located.

Thanks Karen I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Dianne

Hi Karen,

This thread is getting so long (which is great) but it takes a long time to read through and see if this questions's already been asked and answered.

We are a group of 7 (possibly 8, waiting for a straggler to decide!) and are thinking about a limosine to get from the pier to the airport after our cruise.

Do you have any information/experience with limosine companies in Seattle?

Thanks.

I, myself, have used Executive Town Car on the occasions that I have needed a limo, and have not had any problems with them.

http://www.executivecarservice.com/history.htm

Archived