Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

I, along with a group of 5 other family members will be cruising out of Seattle on 6/1/08. I have been researching some things in the area and have the following in mind. We are arriving early afternoon the day before the cruise. We are cruising on NCL Pearl.

I have a van reserved from Avis that we will pick up from the airport and drop off at pier 48. Figured this would be the cheapest way to get around for a group of 6. The van was fairly cheap for the day. The following are things we want to do on the day of arrival:

1. Fish Market; I've been to business classes and seen the videos with these guys and want to see this. The other's all like shopping, so I would think this would be enjoyable. I see there is a huge memorial day festival on this weekend, so I am guessing it will be crowded. Is there parking in this area?

2. The music experience. The teenagers are wanting to see this. They like the beatles and Bob Marley, which both have some type of shows playing according to the website.

3. The space needle. (Is this worth the time?)

Post-cruise half of our group are planning to stay one extra day. We are planning to rent a car from Avis by Pier 48 and return it to the airport location the next day. We figure we should be off the cruise ship early and the kids want to go see the Olympic Mountain area. They are interested in the Forks & Port Angeles area. They have been reading the "Twighlight" book series and want to see the area that this book refers to. I like the scenic drives and the moutain views. I know this will be a long day, but we should have from 10:00 a.m. till whatever to do this. I was hoping we could be settled in by the airport by 8:00 p.m., since we will have an early flight the next morning to come home.

For the night, we booked a room at the Clarion by the airport. It was a great price and free parking. Are you familiar with this place? We are not worried about having a fancy place, just somewhere clean and safe to spend the night.

Suggestions or comments are welcomed. :)

1. Pier 48 is Thrifty Rent a Car. I do not know if you can drop Avis off there or not (Avis is in downtown proper). You should probably double check on that. Also the van that is there for transport to Pier 66 belongs to Thrifty, and I don't know if they would transport you. Either way, the check in at Pier 48 is a long process on cruise days, and it can take up to an hour of more to get transported due to the volume of people coming in and out.

2. That video is TERRIFIC, and very good for customer service. Pike Place Fish Market is at the front of the market, near 1st & Pike. You will enjoy any time that you spend there. Actually, NW Folklife is on Memorial Day weekend, which is a week earlier than you will be there. But, it is tourist season, so, yes, it will be crowded anyway. Yes, there is parking, but it is expensive. The Market has their own parking garage, which you get into off of Alaskan Way.

3. EMP is well worth the visit, as is the also included Sci Fi Museum.

4. The Space Needle? You are asking the wrong person....I am totally unimpressed.

Has anyone used the storage at cruise terminals? I went to the Port Seattle website and it says $3 per luggage. Is that per day? We're in Seattle 1 week before the cruise and don't want to haul around all the Alaska clothing.

The concierge is only there on cruise days so, no, they will not store it for you for a week. In fact, they will only keep it for one day, then they charge you "ransom" if you are not there by 3:00 pm to pick it up. It is $3.00 per bag for that one day only.

Karen, yes it is Thrifty car rental and not Avis. So is the problem at Peir 48 with the car drop off or mainly with the shuttle. Can I get a Taxi instead of waiting for that shuttle.

The space needle, I think I am on the same page with you. I think we will skip this tourism trap.

What about the drive to Forks, is that worth an all day drive?

Hi, :) I saw the Space Needle once and loved it. But I had never

been there before and had a wonderful time...oh well, call me

a Tourist if you want......because I was one:D :) ;)

Karen, yes it is Thrifty car rental and not Avis. So is the problem at Peir 48 with the car drop off or mainly with the shuttle. Can I get a Taxi instead of waiting for that shuttle.

The space needle, I think I am on the same page with you. I think we will skip this tourism trap.

What about the drive to Forks, is that worth an all day drive?

It is both, actually, because of the sheer numbers of people trying to both rent and drop off. You would have to call a taxi to get picked up there, and might wait as long as an hour for one to show up.

If you don't have a TON of luggage, you could go across the street and catch the northbound Waterfront "Streetcar" and take it down to Pier 66. If you have a lot, though, that might be difficult, since they tend to be pretty full on weekends, as well.

And, yes, the Olympic National Park is well worth the drive.

The concierge is only there on cruise days so, no, they will not store it for you for a week. In fact, they will only keep it for one day, then they charge you "ransom" if you are not there by 3:00 pm to pick it up. It is $3.00 per bag for that one day only.

Hello, we're staying at Quality Inn and Suites on the 14th of June in order to get our rental SUV and then road trip. We're coming back to Quality Inn and Suites on the 20th (the night before the cruise) and they just informed me this morning that I could store luggage there for free.

I also called Kens Baggage or Storage (206) 433-5333 at SEATAC and they quoted me a price of $16 per day for 2 large suitcases.

SeattleCruiselover, we'll be headed out for 5 nights sightseeing. We can stay at a Navy Lodge thru the military. Which would you suggest to have easy access or avoid major traffic areas. Navy Lodge Whidbey Island, Navy Lodge, Everett, Navy Lodge Bangor?

Would it be worth driving and staying 1 night at Pacific Beach Conference Center? If we stayed at a Navy Lodge for 5 nights that would solve our problem with all the baggage too.

Hello, we're staying at Quality Inn and Suites on the 14th of June in order to get our rental SUV and then road trip. We're coming back to Quality Inn and Suites on the 20th (the night before the cruise) and they just informed me this morning that I could store luggage there for free.

I also called Kens Baggage or Storage (206) 433-5333 at SEATAC and they quoted me a price of $16 per day for 2 large suitcases.

SeattleCruiselover, we'll be headed out for 5 nights sightseeing. We can stay at a Navy Lodge thru the military. Which would you suggest to have easy access or avoid major traffic areas. Navy Lodge Whidbey Island, Navy Lodge, Everett, Navy Lodge Bangor?

Would it be worth driving and staying 1 night at Pacific Beach Conference Center? If we stayed at a Navy Lodge for 5 nights that would solve our problem with all the baggage too.

Depends on where all you are planning on going. SUBASE Bangor is in Kitsap County, between Bremerton and Silverdale. Everett is north, in Snohomish County. Whidbey is in Island County, and will more or less take a ferry ride to get to (unless you go the long way around, which I don't recommend). I'm not certain exactly where Pacific Beach is, but I'm thinking south. None of them are particularly close to Seattle (the closest is about 30 miles away---in fact that is the average distance for all of them from downtown Seattle)

So, if you're wanting to do some of your sightseeing here in town, you might want to stay here for at least one night, then consider the others, based on your ultimate destinations.

how do I find your blog site?

I wish I could tell you, but then (as they say in the spy movies) I'd have to kill you. Since I am a part time travel agent, I can't put any of my websites up here (even my personal photo galleries got deleted by the admins). They construe it as advertising, even though my Seattle blog has absolutely NO commercial content on it whatsoever, other than that put up by Google, over which I have no control whatsoever.

Sorry.......

Thanks for the info. I have decided to scrap the rental car and will probably use a taxi to get from the airport to a hotel that offers a free shuttle bus to Terminal 30. Can you tell me which hotels you know of offer the free shuttle bus to that Cruise Terminal?

If you rent a car, Hertz has airport pick up and a downtown drop off. Last time we did that before our cruise and when we dropped off the car, they gave us $10 credit for cab fare to the ship! I had left bags and DW at the terminal while I returned the car. It worked out fine and we were able to see more that way.

Hi Karen, DW and I will arrive on Friday, 5/30. We'll likely wing it and grab a cab to Residence Inn-Lake Union. We will be going back to airport on Saturday evening, 5/31, to meet others (4) coming in to help with luggage and Mom in wheelchair. I plan on using Shuttle Express to get the 6 of us back to Residence, I'll reserve in advance. I will likely use them at the end of cruise for return to SeaTac, I think I can do this for bout $100 each way for the 6 of us using an exclusive van.

My questions...

- what's the best, least expensive way for DW and I to get back to SeaTac Saturday evening to meet them? Airporter? Cab?

- the best option for transport from Residence to term #30 on Sunday a.m, (there will be a Mariners game).

- your thoughts on using Shuttle Express for the return to SeaTac at end of cruise.

Thanks again for all your help. Ken.

Hi Karen, DW and I will arrive on Friday, 5/30. We'll likely wing it and grab a cab to Residence Inn-Lake Union. We will be going back to airport on Saturday evening, 5/31, to meet others (4) coming in to help with luggage and Mom in wheelchair. I plan on using Shuttle Express to get the 6 of us back to Residence, I'll reserve in advance. I will likely use them at the end of cruise for return to SeaTac, I think I can do this for bout $100 each way for the 6 of us using an exclusive van.

My questions...

- what's the best, least expensive way for DW and I to get back to SeaTac Saturday evening to meet them? Airporter? Cab?

- the best option for transport from Residence to term #30 on Sunday a.m, (there will be a Mariners game).

- your thoughts on using Shuttle Express for the return to SeaTac at end of cruise.

Thanks again for all your help. Ken.

If you really want to be cost effective for the trip down. Take the 71, 72 or 73 bus right across the street from the Residence Inn downtown to 3rd & Pike. Walk one block west to 2nd & Pike and catch the 194 to the airport.

Plan the trip:

http://transit.metrokc.gov

On Sunday morning, you will want to leave this neighborhood not later than about 10:00 am. It's about a $15.00 taxi ride from here to terminal 30 for two people. With a wheelchair dependent pax, you can call the taxi company the night before and tell them that you need a mini-van taxi, which they reserve for the physically challenged. Then call them in the morning to verify the pick up.

Shuttle Express is good for the trip back to the airport.

http://www.shuttleexpress.com

I just found out and confirmed that Thrifty has a rental station at pier 66, so I won't need to wait for a shuttle to get to the NCL port. It seems to be the same price to drop off the car there, rather than at peir 48. The only thing I did notice is on the return date, the car was double the price to pick up at 66 than I reserved at pier 48.

I just found out and confirmed that Thrifty has a rental station at pier 66, so I won't need to wait for a shuttle to get to the NCL port. It seems to be the same price to drop off the car there, rather than at peir 48. The only thing I did notice is on the return date, the car was double the price to pick up at 66 than I reserved at pier 48.

My question, then, is where do you get and/or put the thing? There is no parking there....

We noticed that and are going with Enterprise which is near Pier 66 for about 60% less. They provide pick up service AND in reading through these boards, we noticed that it's a nightmare trying to drop off and rent from Thrifty's near the pier, because other people trying to do the same thing.

I posted some info about it here towards the bottom of the page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14109920#post14109920

We noticed that and are going with Enterprise which is near Pier 66 for about 60% less. They provide pick up service AND in reading through these boards, we noticed that it's a nightmare trying to drop off and rent from Thrifty's near the pier, because other people trying to do the same thing.

I posted some info about it here towards the bottom of the page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14109920#post14109920

Enterprise is not exactly close. Will they bring you back after you drop off?

Enterprise is not exactly close. Will they bring you back after you drop off?

I called at various times and was told that they service the piers. Their pick up service is within 10 miles. The distance between the Pier and Enterprise on Westlake is 1 mile. My husband will be dropping us off at the pier and then returning the vehicle to Enterprise. I will call again to double check that they'll bring him to the pier. :confused: As a last resort, we can drop off the night before since they pick up from Quality Inn & Suites and then take their $6 shuttle to the Pier the next morning. The latter would probably be less stressful on the morning of the cruise since many people will be waiting for shuttles, etc.

I don't know, but where the cars are parked, but on the Avis site it has peir 48 or pier 66 as rental locations. I will call and ask more questions.

I definitely would, just to be sure, because Thrifty is the only one in either of those locations that I know about. Avis is downtown on 4th Avenue.

Ok, I found some information online. It appears that there is now a location at peir 66. It seems that it is a rental counter for paperwork processing only. After completition of the paperwork, they shuttle you to peir 48 to pick up the car. My reservations pre-cruse are to drop off the car at peir 66, so I should be able to turn the car in at this place without having to take a shuttle. Upon return to Seattle, I would have had do the paperwork at peir 66 and then take a shuttle to get the car. I didn't change the location for the pick up after the cruise because it was going to double the price. I don't understand why the price would have been different, since either way I will have to pick up the car from peir 48.

Confusing, but I think it will be a blessing if I can at least return the car to peir 66 when we arrive for our cruise.

SeattleCruiselover, Port Seattle website says there is a free bus. After our cruise, NCL has a Seattle tour $38 x 7, that will pick us up and drop us off at the airport. Our flight back to LAX leaves on Saturday at 5:30 pm. I assume that NCL will disembark smoothly and we'll be off the ship by 10 am. With a 3 hour tour, we'll be at the airport by 2 pm. Should we instead, leave our bags at the concierge for $3 each and walk to downtown, then walk back and take an airport shuttle, etc. Do you know where the free bus goes to? Or do you suggest leaving the DUCK tour for this day and then walk around a bit? Does the DUCK tour pick up near Port Seattle?

Prior to the cruise, we'll be in downtown Seattle for one night. We're hoping to catch that Duck Tour just so the grandmas can experience it. We did a Duck Tour already on the East Coast and loved it. Then we're off to a Navy Lodge for 5 nights and then we come back to the same Seattle hotel near the pier the night before the cruise.

I had some questions previously. Would it be worth it to drive to Pacific Beach for 1 night? It's on the coast on the way to Forks. We also don't want to waste valuable sightseeing time doing a bunch of ferries. What do you think of staying somewhere central rather than doing a road trip?

Thanks.

SeattleCruiselover, Port Seattle website says there is a free bus. After our cruise, NCL has a Seattle tour $38 x 7, that will pick us up and drop us off at the airport. Our flight back to LAX leaves on Saturday at 5:30 pm. I assume that NCL will disembark smoothly and we'll be off the ship by 10 am. With a 3 hour tour, we'll be at the airport by 2 pm. Should we instead, leave our bags at the concierge for $3 each and walk to downtown, then walk back and take an airport shuttle, etc. Do you know where the free bus goes to? Or do you suggest leaving the DUCK tour for this day and then walk around a bit? Does the DUCK tour pick up near Port Seattle?

Prior to the cruise, we'll be in downtown Seattle for one night. We're hoping to catch that Duck Tour just so the grandmas can experience it. We did a Duck Tour already on the East Coast and loved it. Then we're off to a Navy Lodge for 5 nights and then we come back to the same Seattle hotel near the pier the night before the cruise.

I had some questions previously. Would it be worth it to drive to Pacific Beach for 1 night? It's on the coast on the way to Forks. We also don't want to waste valuable sightseeing time doing a bunch of ferries. What do you think of staying somewhere central rather than doing a road trip?

Thanks.

I'm sure that the free bus they are referencing is the Waterfront "Streetcar". It goes from the waterfront to Pioneer Square and the International District only...no farther.

The Duck tour picks up only across the street from Seattle Center/Space Needle.

If you want to go to Forks, you will either need to take at least one ferry, or you will have a heckuva drive the long way around (that will add at least 3-4 hours to the already long trip).

If you stay in Everett, you can do the Boeing Plant tour if you reserve now.

If you stay in Silverdale, you can go to the Undersea Warfare Museum, go to Bainbridge Island and do one of the walking tours of Winslow (lots of nice shops and other things to see), and go to Bremerton should there be anything you need/want to do there. You could also go to Poulsbo and experience the Scandanavian culture and shops there.

Doing the NCL tour on disembarkation is not a bad idea, actually. It will automatically get you to the airport in time to stand in the long lines and still get checked in by 3:30 for your 5:30 flight.

how do I find your blog site?

I'm pretty sure I'm not breaking any rules by saying this: Google is your friend. :D

A great big Thank You to Karen for being so generous, helpful and such a great spokesperson for your city!

Hi Karen:)

My plans have changed for later in the year. I was originally

coming there in October and we were going to have dinner:D

But as of this morning I am now coming in Sept and it looks

like you will be on a cruise too:) so we won't get to meet.:(

I haven't booked my new hotel or airfare yet but I am arriving

the weekend of Sept 12th.

Thanks for all your help. I am going to Alaska and saving

myself almost 500.00 over the cruise I was going to take

in October.

My only loss is the hotel room I booked on Priceline:rolleyes:

Archived