Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

in a day? On Saturday, 5/31, prolly start round 9a. Check out the Needle, catch the Duck tour, take a peek at Pike Mkt. I want to try and take DW on Argosy Dinner but the only time they are showing for that day is 4p so I don't think I can do Pike and the Dinner so will I have to make a choice of one or the other? What would another nice dinner option be for anniv celeb? Oh yea, I'll likely have to be at SeaTac at 9p to pick up others for cruise. Oh well, just another typical day for me, run run run.

With that schedule, I would say that Argosy is out, because you might not be back in time to make the run to the airport (they usually get back between 7 and 8 for the 4 pm dinner run). If you can get in, the Metropolitan Grill up on 2nd Av would be a good choice. Excellent food (if a bit pricy, but not much more than the cruise would cost you) and atmosphere. It is one of the see and be seen places of Seattle. Lots of celeb clientele.

I have a question for Karen/SeattleCruiseLover. :)

First of all, thank you for being so willing to help us all! The information in this thread is an absolute goldmine.

I'm considering the Executive Hotel Pacific because of its proximity to everything we want to see. However, we're also planning on taking the Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver. Supposedly this hotel is 0.81 miles from the train station. Is this distance walkable given the hills? We (my husband and I) will each have probably one rolling piece of luggage. If it is walkable, is it safe to be out in the streets that early in the morning? Would it make more sense to get a cab?

Thanks in advance!

I have a question for Karen/SeattleCruiseLover. :)

First of all, thank you for being so willing to help us all! The information in this thread is an absolute goldmine.

I'm considering the Executive Hotel Pacific because of its proximity to everything we want to see. However, we're also planning on taking the Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver. Supposedly this hotel is 0.81 miles from the train station. Is this distance walkable given the hills? We (my husband and I) will each have probably one rolling piece of luggage. If it is walkable, is it safe to be out in the streets that early in the morning? Would it make more sense to get a cab?

Thanks in advance!

You could certainly walk from there (I do it frequently). The hotel is on 4th Av. King Street Station is on 2nd Av Extension at King Street. It is 90+% downhill from the hotel to the station. I would actually walk down 4th Av rather than 2nd, as you will probably run into fewer homeless on that street. A cab would be the best option probably, just to be safe (nothing ever happens to me, but I just put on my "I'm grumpy" face and most of them leave me totally alone).

You could certainly walk from there (I do it frequently). The hotel is on 4th Av. King Street Station is on 2nd Av Extension at King Street. It is 90+% downhill from the hotel to the station. I would actually walk down 4th Av rather than 2nd, as you will probably run into fewer homeless on that street. A cab would be the best option probably, just to be safe (nothing ever happens to me, but I just put on my "I'm grumpy" face and most of them leave me totally alone).

Karen, thank you so much!!

Hi Karen, good morning...you are up early on this Saturday!

I now have my hotel booked (Hampton) and just booked my flights

too.:)

Next couple of questions for you.....first, do I need to go ahead

and book the train for Sunday morning?

And will Hampton have cabs available to get to the train station?

I wish you would have been home but I know you will be having

a wonderful time on your cruise too:D

Lois, looks like you, Gwynn & I will be on the train the same morning.

We haven't booked our flights yet but will be traveling into Seattle on the 13th and taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of the 14th.

Hopefully we will finally get a chance to meet each other.

Dianne

Hi there:)

I booked my flights yesterday. It is the first time I am using

2 different airlines.

I found Delta going west.....one way for a total of $130.00:D

so I could not pass it up.

Then I found Continental coming home....not as cheap as that

but the timing worked out better so I booked it. And it was a good

price too.

That flight leaves Seattle at 12:30pm so I am really happy:)

I arrive in Seattle about 1:30pm Saturday afternoon.

I know earlier you had talked about doing dinner. That

would be nice but no need for ya'll to pick it up. The offer

itself is more than kind:)

Lois, we still want to have dinner with you on the 13th. We'll stay in touch over the next few months so we can get our schedules coordinated.

We haven't booked our air yet as we have to book an open jaw. Our cruise on NCL Sun is a reposition cruise. We cruise out of Vancouver and end up in San Francisco.

Dianne

Hi Dianne, great:) it will be a pleasure to meet you both as well.

There is a roll call started for my sailing but only one other

person has posted:eek: ...then I am sailing in December on

Infinity and there are at least 10 people chatting.

Sometimes Roll Calls make me go hmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Hi Karen, good morning...you are up early on this Saturday!

I now have my hotel booked (Hampton) and just booked my flights

too.:)

Next couple of questions for you.....first, do I need to go ahead

and book the train for Sunday morning?

And will Hampton have cabs available to get to the train station?

I wish you would have been home but I know you will be having

a wonderful time on your cruise too:D

Yes, they are getting full very rapidly.

No, you will have to call one (or have the property call one for you).

I wish I would have been here, too, but, hey, maybe we will run into each other in Alaska. What are your ports/days? (Or maybe just what ship...we are in port with several different ones)?

Hi Karen:) I will be on Mercury

with the following stops:

Sunday, 9/14 sailing from Vancouver

Monday, 9/15 Inside Passage cruising

Tuesday, 9/16 Ketchikan

Wednesday, 9/17 Hubbard Glacier

Thursday, 9/18 Juneau

Friday, 9/19 Sitka

Saturday, 9/20 Inside Passage cruising

Sunday, 9/21 Victoria, BC

Monday 9/22 Seattle

I will go ahead and reserve the spot on the train.

Thanks for all the guidance:)

Hi Karen:) I will be on Mercury

with the following stops:

Sunday, 9/14 sailing from Vancouver

Monday, 9/15 Inside Passage cruising

Tuesday, 9/16 Ketchikan

Wednesday, 9/17 Hubbard Glacier

Thursday, 9/18 Juneau

Friday, 9/19 Sitka

Saturday, 9/20 Inside Passage cruising

Sunday, 9/21 Victoria, BC

Monday 9/22 Seattle

I will go ahead and reserve the spot on the train.

Thanks for all the guidance:)

Darn, you are going the opposite itinerary from ours. Will wave if we see you in passing. You can't miss Golden, she is as big as a mobile apartment building.

Hi everyone! I have a few questions for those of you who've been on an Alaskan cruise before and several for Karen about the Seattle area. My husband and I are first time cruisers and are very excited about our upcoming cruise! We are leaving on the Golden Princess on May 31. We arrive in Seattle the day before and are staying at the Sheraton downtown. (fyi for others...found a great deal on Priceline for $90) Our plane arrives around 10:00 a.m. and we want to see as much of Seattle as possible with our time. We definitely want to go to Pike's Market. We wanted to do the Argrosy cruise for dinner that night, but it is already sold out. (We didn't realize until reading the threads that a Mariner's game was that evening too!)

:) Here's a few of my questions:

1. What would you recommend with the amount of time we have to do that day? The Underground stuff sounds fun as does the aquarium and the duck rides. Is that too much for one afternoon? We should also have a little time in the morning before loading on the ship...right?

2. Also, is there anything else neat to do in the evening besides the game? (We aren't really into the club scene.)

3. After arriving at the airport, would the Grayline bus and the taxi take the same amount of time to arrive at our hotel...is one faster?

;) More questions....this time about the cruise!

1. Is is best to purchase excursions through the cruise ship or on your own? I've heard it is much less expensive to buy them on your own.

2. Visiting the following ports: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria are there any excursions we should definitely not miss? We are very active and love doing things outdoors, so I really want to zipline!!!

3. Clothing??? I've read many different types of things to take. (raincoats, layers of clothing, etc.) Would those of you who've been on an Alaskan cruise offer some tidbits about what to take? Is casual okay for most days on the ship? Besides the formal night, what do most people wear to dinner? I would love to pack light, but want to bring the right types of clothing.

Whew! That is a lot of questions! Thanks so much for taking the time to read over them. My husband and I spent quite a bit of time reading through the pages of threads and found them very informative. I appreciate your time posting!

soonercourt;)

Hi everyone! I have a few questions for those of you who've been on an Alaskan cruise before and several for Karen about the Seattle area. My husband and I are first time cruisers and are very excited about our upcoming cruise! We are leaving on the Golden Princess on May 31. We arrive in Seattle the day before and are staying at the Sheraton downtown. (fyi for others...found a great deal on Priceline for $90) Our plane arrives around 10:00 a.m. and we want to see as much of Seattle as possible with our time. We definitely want to go to Pike's Market. We wanted to do the Argrosy cruise for dinner that night, but it is already sold out. (We didn't realize until reading the threads that a Mariner's game was that evening too!)

:) Here's a few of my questions:

1. What would you recommend with the amount of time we have to do that day? The Underground stuff sounds fun as does the aquarium and the duck rides. Is that too much for one afternoon? We should also have a little time in the morning before loading on the ship...right?

2. Also, is there anything else neat to do in the evening besides the game? (We aren't really into the club scene.)

3. After arriving at the airport, would the Grayline bus and the taxi take the same amount of time to arrive at our hotel...is one faster?

;) More questions....this time about the cruise!

1. Is is best to purchase excursions through the cruise ship or on your own? I've heard it is much less expensive to buy them on your own.

2. Visiting the following ports: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria are there any excursions we should definitely not miss? We are very active and love doing things outdoors, so I really want to zipline!!!

3. Clothing??? I've read many different types of things to take. (raincoats, layers of clothing, etc.) Would those of you who've been on an Alaskan cruise offer some tidbits about what to take? Is casual okay for most days on the ship? Besides the formal night, what do most people wear to dinner? I would love to pack light, but want to bring the right types of clothing.

Whew! That is a lot of questions! Thanks so much for taking the time to read over them. My husband and I spent quite a bit of time reading through the pages of threads and found them very informative. I appreciate your time posting!

soonercourt;)

Normally, I would tell you to do the Market on Saturday before you board, after dropping off bags and checking in but, since you are leaving from Terminal 30, that isn't feasible. You can walk there in moments from Pier 66, but Terminal 30 is miles away. So, whatever you are going to do, you will likely need to do on Friday. You will likely get downtown around noon and take a bit of time to check into the hotel and drop off your belongings. So, let's assume you get started around 1:00 pm. The Underground Tour and the aquarium will likely close between 5 and 6 that afternoon, Pike Place Market a little later but not much, the Ducks probably the latest of the bunch. Could you prioritize for me which ones you REALLY want to do, and I'll suggest an order to do them in which you are likely to have the best chance of success.

There is likely to be a worthwhile live theater event going on that weekend, but I don't know the schedule at this moment. Will check and mention it on second post.

Either bus or taxi will take about the same time on a Friday late morning/early afternoon.

For a first time Alaska cruiser, I would advise booking with Princess. They have the same tours that you can get privately, for the most part, but they won't leave you behind if you get back late, unlike if you book privately.

Whale watching in Juneau, the WPYRR in Skagway for sure. You would probably enjoy either the Lumberjack Show or Saxman Totem Village in Ketchikan. Not much time to do anything in Victoria except maybe walk around downtown for a bit.

Layers, layers and more layers. Light raingear. On Princess, casual is the rule except for dinner time......no shorts or jeans in the dining rooms, but they are OK in the Horizon Court.

Now, a favor from you, if you please...:D Any time you drive by a company or property owned by the Gaylords and/or Clay Bennett, would you please thumb your nose for myself and all of the other very disappointed Sonics fans??? Thanks.:(

Now, a favor from you, if you please...:D Any time you drive by a company or property owned by the Gaylords and/or Clay Bennett, would you please thumb your nose for myself and all of the other very disappointed Sonics fans??? Thanks.:(

Karen, I don't blame you what a bad deal!!!!

Dianne

Archived