Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Several folks have asked about airport hotels, and transport to the piers. I just returned from a convention at the Doubletree SeaTac and noticed that they have a fairly large parking area marked "airport and cruise parking". I have no idea what the fee is. I also noticed a Princess cruise greeting desk there, and drivers with NCL signs. You'd have to contact those lines to find out about the transport part. The Doubletree is a quite nice hotel very near the airport, with shuttle transportation.

Hope this helps -- or at least gives a lead.

OK, I need help from the Seattle sports experts. We are driving down on Monday, staying overnight at Quality Inn on John St, boarding Carnival Spirit on Tuesday. Our original plan was to take in a Mariners game on Monday night. Now, however, the Stanley Cup series has intervened -- game 6 is also Monday night. If our home team (Canucks) wins the Stanley Cup that night (yes I realize the game is in Boston), we would kick ourselves if we didn't watch the game. So where is the best place to watch the hockey game in Seattle, preferably within walking distance of the Quality Inn, other than the hotel room? The game starts at 5 pm. Help?

OK, I need help from the Seattle sports experts. We are driving down on Monday, staying overnight at Quality Inn on John St, boarding Carnival Spirit on Tuesday. Our original plan was to take in a Mariners game on Monday night. Now, however, the Stanley Cup series has intervened -- game 6 is also Monday night. If our home team (Canucks) wins the Stanley Cup that night (yes I realize the game is in Boston), we would kick ourselves if we didn't watch the game. So where is the best place to watch the hockey game in Seattle, preferably within walking distance of the Quality Inn, other than the hotel room? The game starts at 5 pm. Help?

Sport Bar & Restaurant, around 3 blocks, http://www.yelp.com/biz/sport-restaurant-and-bar-seattle

Sport Bar & Restaurant, around 3 blocks, http://www.yelp.com/biz/sport-restaurant-and-bar-seattle

Thanks Gardyloo for the quick reply. That's the same place that our hotel recommended. When I googled it, it had such mixed reviews that I wasn't really sure how good it would be. Hopefully they'll be able to show the hockey game.

One of my students is Canadian and a big Canucks fan. The places she's mentioned watching the games are the Auto Battery Bar http://www.autobatterybar.com/ on Capitol Hill, and Buckley's http://www.buckleysseattle.com/btmainpage.htm in Belltown. Google Maps says Buckley's is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.

We will be in town all day on the 4th. What events are planned and where should we be best located for any night activities?

The big fireworks show is at Lake Union http://familyfourth.org/. A lot of people watch from Gasworks Park, on the north end of the lake. You kind of have to make a day of it to get a good spot there, but if the weather is nice, it could be fun--a great big party. They'll have music, food vendors, a beer garden, and lots of Seattle-style silliness.

The lake will be packed with boats by evening. Argosy http://www.argosycruises.com/themecruises/default.cfm does few different public cruises--that might be the easiest way to get out where you can get a good view of the show.

:confused:Looking for the easiest way to get from the Ferry terminal to Pier 91.

Which ferry terminal, WA State ferry or the Clipper? Guess it doesn't really matter, a taxi is the easiest option. Pier 91 is a couple of miles from the waterfront, maybe $10-$15

Which ferry terminal, WA State ferry or the Clipper? Guess it doesn't really matter, a taxi is the easiest option. Pier 91 is a couple of miles from the waterfront, maybe $10-$15

Thanks, we are driving our motorhome from San Diego and leaving it with friends from Bainbridge, so it will be the State ferry from Bainbridge.

One of my students is Canadian and a big Canucks fan. The places she's mentioned watching the games are the Auto Battery Bar http://www.autobatterybar.com/ on Capitol Hill, and Buckley's http://www.buckleysseattle.com/btmainpage.htm in Belltown. Google Maps says Buckley's is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.

Thanks Casagordita.

RCS2cruise -- We just returned from a week's cruise on Golden Princess, round trip from Seattle. Last Friday night, we were in Victoria, BC. We took a cab to the downtown area. People were driving up and down the street, waving Canucks flags, wearing their jerseys, the statue of George Vancouver had a Canucks jersey pinned on it. Being from Texas, hockey isn't really our "big" sport, so I asked a lady in a Canucks jersey, "Did you win the Stanley Cup?" She said "Yes, game 6." It's REALLY gonna be a party if they win Game 7 because they were going nuts over Game 6!

Thought I'd report back on our Seattle choices that we made. We did end up taking the 11:10 Alaska Air non-stop flight on June 11 back to Austin and had no problems at all. We requested self-disembarkation off the ship, so we were in the first 50 or so people off the ship at 7:30 a.m. We were at the airport, bags checked, through security, and at our gate two hours prior to flight time.

I arranged with AlreadyThere car service to pick us up on Fri. June 3 from the airport to our hotel, and used them again on June 11 from the cruise terminal (Pier 91) back to the airport. Charlotte was great to work with, on the email and the phone. I would certainly use them again.

We had our one-night pre-cruise stay at the Travelodge Seattle Center. A room with two double beds and a free continental breakfast was $120 or so, including tax. The hallway going to our room was very dark, both the paint and the lighting. It had those small halogen lights on a string. I don't know if they were trying to cut down on electricity, but it felt like you were walking in the back hallway in some bar. The room itself was very small but clean; looked like it had been recently painted and new curtains, bed covers. The hotel had free internet at two computers in the lobby (and probably free wi-fi too, but our laptop was packed). Front-desk was very friendly. Breakfast was okay: bagels, donuts, cold cereal, waffle makers, fruit, juices, milk, coffee, some link sausages, boiled eggs (but no scrambled eggs). It was enough to last us until we got on the ship! ;)

We took a cab from the Travelodge to Pier 91; it was about $11, I think. Front desk called the cab for us, and the driver was there in less than two minutes.

And to top it all off, on Sat. June 4, when we were boaring the Golden Princess, it was the most beautiful warm sunny day in Seattle! Blue skies and no clouds! Sparkling water with HUGE Mt. Rainier in the distance. Chamber of Commerce weather, for sure!

Thanks Gardyloo for the quick reply. That's the same place that our hotel recommended. When I googled it, it had such mixed reviews that I wasn't really sure how good it would be. Hopefully they'll be able to show the hockey game.

We ate lunch at the Sport bar 2 weeks ago and the food was awesome. They advertise they have the best burgers in Seattle. There are TV's all over the place and they even have them at every booth in the place. I'd head there.

RCS2cruise -- We just returned from a week's cruise on Golden Princess, round trip from Seattle. Last Friday night, we were in Victoria, BC. We took a cab to the downtown area. People were driving up and down the street, waving Canucks flags, wearing their jerseys, the statue of George Vancouver had a Canucks jersey pinned on it. Being from Texas, hockey isn't really our "big" sport, so I asked a lady in a Canucks jersey, "Did you win the Stanley Cup?" She said "Yes, game 6." It's REALLY gonna be a party if they win Game 7 because they were going nuts over Game 6!

Thought I'd report back on our Seattle choices that we made. We did end up taking the 11:10 Alaska Air non-stop flight on June 11 back to Austin and had no problems at all. We requested self-disembarkation off the ship, so we were in the first 50 or so people off the ship at 7:30 a.m. We were at the airport, bags checked, through security, and at our gate two hours prior to flight time.

I arranged with AlreadyThere car service to pick us up on Fri. June 3 from the airport to our hotel, and used them again on June 11 from the cruise terminal (Pier 91) back to the airport. Charlotte was great to work with, on the email and the phone. I would certainly use them again.

We had our one-night pre-cruise stay at the Travelodge Seattle Center. A room with two double beds and a free continental breakfast was $120 or so, including tax. The hallway going to our room was very dark, both the paint and the lighting. It had those small halogen lights on a string. I don't know if they were trying to cut down on electricity, but it felt like you were walking in the back hallway in some bar. The room itself was very small but clean; looked like it had been recently painted and new curtains, bed covers. The hotel had free internet at two computers in the lobby (and probably free wi-fi too, but our laptop was packed). Front-desk was very friendly. Breakfast was okay: bagels, donuts, cold cereal, waffle makers, fruit, juices, milk, coffee, some link sausages, boiled eggs (but no scrambled eggs). It was enough to last us until we got on the ship! ;)

We took a cab from the Travelodge to Pier 91; it was about $11, I think. Front desk called the cab for us, and the driver was there in less than two minutes.

And to top it all off, on Sat. June 4, when we were boaring the Golden Princess, it was the most beautiful warm sunny day in Seattle! Blue skies and no clouds! Sparkling water with HUGE Mt. Rainier in the distance. Chamber of Commerce weather, for sure!

We stayed at the Travelodge prior to our cruise as well. We found the place to be very adequate for a quick overnight in Seattle. We visited the space needle and Pike Market - both very convenient from this hotel. We departed for home on June 4th and I agree - it was a magnificent day. I don't think I've ever seen Seattle that pretty!

Kellie, since people always ask, could you tell us what Already there charged for the pier to airport ride. A towncar, right ?

Yes, it was a town car (driver and four passengers; if you had a fifth passenger, you'd have to do to an SUV).

The airport to downtown was $45, and from Pier 91 back to the airport was $55. It was all prepaid ahead of time. You can either tip the driver at the time of service, or if you don't do that, they will add the standard 20% tip. Each of the charges was made to our credit card on the day of service. Both drivers never even mentioned payment, so I think most people must let the tip be added on.

I should also say that Pier 91 was very well organized and we had no trouble getting in or out, plus there were employees every 15 feet or so, telling you where to go next. They were all smiling too!

Hi,

We need some suggestions...

What is the best and least expensive way to get 11 adults (some elderly) from pier 66 to SEA on a Friday morning? We are on the Celebrity Infinity which is scheduled to arrive around 7 am and our flights leave around noon.

In other ports there are taxis, shuttle buses, etc waiting for you when you get off the boat...is this the case in Seattle?

Thank you in advance!

SandiO

Kellie, since people always ask, could you tell us what Already there charged for the pier to airport ride. A towncar, right ?

We have just booked Already There for our time in Seattle later this month so I'd like to share what they are charging us since I haven't seen much info on prices for groups that need an SUV (we are 5 people). They are picking us up from the airport and taking us to Grand Hyatt Downtown for $75, then picking us up the next morning from the hotel and taking us to the train station for $50 and then when we get back to Seattle from Vancouver they are picking us up from the train station and taking us to the Red Lion Hotel at the airport for $75. These prices don't include the tip.

To pick up some last minute items I do not want to pack (hair spray etc) is there a CVS or Walgreens type store near the port area? Or, is there one at one of the stops of bus #99? We will be staying at the Edgewater.

To pick up some last minute items I do not want to pack (hair spray etc) is there a CVS or Walgreens type store near the port area? Or, is there one at one of the stops of bus #99? We will be staying at the Edgewater.
Not in the immediate area, but if you're exploring downtown at all you'll have no trouble finding a drug store that can meet your needs.

Is there public transportation from the SeaTac area hotels and the Boeing Factory?
Technically, yes, but it would be a giant pain. You could take the light rail into Seattle and then sign up for one of the tours that go to the plant, which would be way more convenient. A car is the most convenient, even if only for a day's rental. Probably cheaper, too, all in.

There are several drugstores around Third and Pike in the Downtown area which isn't too far from the hotel, but I don't think there's a lot up toward Smith Cove.

Archived