Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Nannie: One thing that you have to realize about Seattle is that its topography is not at all friendly for the physically challenged (as I know very well, ranking amongst their numbers). The main part of the city is build on seven "hills", just like Rome, but I say hills with my fingers crossed behind my back. Hills are little things with gentle slopes. These things are small mountains, with grades ranging from 5% to upwards of 20+%.

Standard wheelchairs, walkers, motorized wheelchairs and scooters are just pretty much too dangerous to use on the bigger ones, and there is not much in downtown that is not on a hill of one sort or another.

There is a restaurant that is very close to the Hyatt, is very good, but "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder (meaning, if you have to ask the price, you may not really want to know--steaks aren't $99.00 like they are at Daniel's Broiler over where I live, but they aren't $15.00, either). It is at 601 Union Street and is within a hop, skip and a jump of your hotel.

Otherwise, you're going to have to do a bit of walking, and it's not all flat terrain, so plan ahead for that. All of the places mentioned above for the SpringHill Suites are fairly close to the Hyatt. There are also two that I forgot in that reply, and both are on the corners of 8th Av and Pine St:

Dragonfish, which is Asian Fusion; and Ruth's Criss Steak House.

We will be arriving the night before our cruise and staying at Springhill Suites. Is there any particular restaurant closeby that stands out in your mind. We eat just about anything except for oriental food.:confused:

I like Paddy Coyne's at Minor & Thomas.

Is there anywhere near Pier 66 to buy soda and bring it on board? Should we bring along an extra carryon for this, or ???

We are cruising on the Star.

The nearest would be Dan's Belltown Market at 3rd & Bell, about six blocks uphill. I also understand that NCL may have imposed limits on the amount that they will allow you to bring aboard without confiscating it, so you need to check with them.

Would you be meaning that the name doesn't give it away? Why Irish, of course (and some American).
I just went back and looked at the name -- duh...I was half asleep when I ready the response to my question. I definitely had a senior moment...

I want to thank you for all of the help you have been to all of us who will traveling through Seattle. You have been invaluable to us.

I'm staying at Marriott waterfront 6/6 before Golden. I've seen Ivar's recommended for dinner. Is Anthony's good? I beleive they are both very close. Also, I don't think Marriott has complimentary breakfast. Is there someplace very close to get a good breakfast?

Thanks!

I just went back and looked at the name -- duh...I was half asleep when I ready the response to my question. I definitely had a senior moment...

I want to thank you for all of the help you have been to all of us who will traveling through Seattle. You have been invaluable to us.

You are quite welcome. Should you drop in to visit Paddy, walk another couple of blocks and I'll give you a wave and a good Seattle greeting.

I'm staying at Marriott waterfront 6/6 before Golden. I've seen Ivar's recommended for dinner. Is Anthony's good? I beleive they are both very close. Also, I don't think Marriott has complimentary breakfast. Is there someplace very close to get a good breakfast?

Thanks!

Ivar's is about .75 to 1 mile walk straight south down to Pier 52. Anthony's is right across the street from the Marriott, and is very good. As for breakfast before you make the trek south to Terminal 30, there is a little coffee type establishment right in the Marriott near the street side doors that has cereal, coffee, drinks, muffins and such. There is also the Bell Street Deli right across the street on the street side of Pier 66, and they have more selection of breakfast type things. They get a tad busy on cruise mornings, but, if you go in early enough, shouldn't be bad.

I would recommend CJ's Cafe at the corner of 1st Av and Cedar St, but it is about 6-7 blocks away, all uphill. Their food is delicious, moderately priced, but they are incredibly busy on the weekends.

Is it possible to use Grayline to get the train on time in the morning from the Westin...or should we use a taxi? I ask this since I see the bus also goes to the Amtrak station. I guess the main concern is being ontime and not the cost for this particular transfer. Also, we should arive at the Westin the day before around mid afternoon and plan to visit Pike Market. it seems there is enough to do & see around there that this will keep us occupied until sunset?

Take a cab. Grayline won't let you do a downtown to downtown transfer. There is a taxi queue outside the front doors (5th Av side) of the Westin pretty much all of the time. (If not, they will get one for you). It's not that expensive from the Westin to King Street Station (should be less than $10 for two people).

As for the Market, you could stay in there for two full days and not see everything. You should stay well occupied for one afternoon.

Thanks Karen...so no need to call taxi co. the night before since they are readily available?

We are so psyched up for this trip as it's the first "real" vacation we have had in a long time!...not to mention 30 yrs. of putting up with each other :rolleyes:

We're thinking of staying at the Travel Lodge 8512 Aurora Ave N for a 2 day post-cruise stay, we're going big and staying at the Grand Hyatt pre-cruise. Will the Grayliner drop us off at the Grand Hyatt? How far would we have to go to try and take and the Grayliner back to the airport?

We also looked at a motel near the University, how far is the University from the downtown tourist-y stuff?

Karen, back to the nail salon, I found a place not far away from the hotel, Etherea (ever heard of it? it's at first and virginia). Anyway, it's a nail and massage place. How far ahead of time (days, weeks) do you think I'd need to make an appointment for a Saturday morning appointment (just general info for what you think the time frame needs to be for salons in the belltown area).

Thanks again.

btw, are you familiar with Icon Grill? Is it any good? It seems close to the hotel with an interesting menu. I'm not a big enough fish eater for Ivar's.

oh, also, Ralph's, is that like a Circle K kind of place? Do they sell just loose soda or can I buy a 12 pack there?

I know I still have two months to figure this all out, but by the time I leave I will have written and re-written a schedule of what I'm doing and when. I'm very anal that way. :p

We're thinking of staying at the Travel Lodge 8512 Aurora Ave N for a 2 day post-cruise stay, we're going big and staying at the Grand Hyatt pre-cruise. Will the Grayliner drop us off at the Grand Hyatt? How far would we have to go to try and take and the Grayliner back to the airport?

We also looked at a motel near the University, how far is the University from the downtown tourist-y stuff?

They will drop you off right at the front door of the Hyatt.

If you're staying at the TraveLodge all the way up at 85th and Aurora, you would have to come back downtown to catch the Airporter. Where you're staying is quite a ways from downtown (about a 30-45 minute bus ride).

The U is also about a 30-45 minute bus ride from downtown, depending on day of the week and traffic. Buses do not run through the night here so, if you have to be someplace early, you would have to be on one of the limited "night owl" bus lines, and they run twice a night in each direction, generally about 2 am and 4 am; and buses do not start running til nearly 8 am on the weekends on most routes.

Thanks. We haven't committed to the Travel Lodge but might. We wanted a budget place to stay for our two days, post cruise. Since we smoke, finding someplace that allows smoking is harder. I looked at Hotel Max at 620 Stewart St. Has anyone stayed at this hotel?

Thanks for the info. It's all so confusing. Neither of us has ever been to Seattle before and The Other Half has wanted to visit Seattle for decades. This is our chance to visit for a few days and I'm still no closer to a hotel than I was last week. We're fine paying up to $125-$150 a night (though less would be really great!) and we want to be closer to stuff. We're hampered by the non-smoking hotels, though. That's why I'm hesitant to try Priceline-you don't know anything about your hotel until you book.

I guess I need a hotel (or Motel!) that's not in the boonies or at the airport or in iffy neighborhoods, allows smoking and doesn't cost an arm or a leg.

Suggestion?

Thanks for the info. It's all so confusing. Neither of us has ever been to Seattle before and The Other Half has wanted to visit Seattle for decades. This is our chance to visit for a few days and I'm still no closer to a hotel than I was last week. We're fine paying up to $125-$150 a night (though less would be really great!) and we want to be closer to stuff. We're hampered by the non-smoking hotels, though. That's why I'm hesitant to try Priceline-you don't know anything about your hotel until you book.

I guess I need a hotel (or Motel!) that's not in the boonies or at the airport or in iffy neighborhoods, allows smoking and doesn't cost an arm or a leg.

Suggestion?

Yep, it's the smoking thing. Let me think about it and do some research and I will get back to you. Like CA, there is no smoking in 99% of public buildings or within 25 feet of an entrance to any building, particularly restaurants and bars. Give me a bit to think.....

Archived