The new passport card

zacc

Was curious if anyone has secured one of the passport cards and how they went about it. There is info about it on the main website but no application. Local passport sites in our area have received no info. They were suppose to become available Feb 1st.......hoping someone may have some added info.

We just renewed our regular passports and this card was listed as an option for those who would be crossing borders in North America.I think it was a $50 fee.We sent our renewal form in on 2/4 and recived the new passports on 2/22 so they must have cleared the backlog.

It is only good for land or sea crossings for getting back into the US. Not acceptable for flights and no other country has publicly made a statement saying that they will accept the passport card being that it has no legal standing in international law.

The application form is the same one that is used for the passport (DS-11), there are boxes to check as to which one(s) you want. The cards themselves have not yet begun to be issued, but are expected between now and summer.

Canada plans to accept the passcard as long as the US will accept a similar type document from Canadians (EDL's particularly) that are issued to the same standards.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/main/right_nav/comment_08_29-en.asp

Be aware - the Passport card is only valid for land and sea travel. If you have a Passport, personally - I would stick with that. You never know if you will ever need to get off a ship and fly home from a port of call (i.e. medical reasons, family emergency) and then the card would NOT be accepted and you would be stuck!

If the Passport card is $50, why not get a passport? Yes, it's a bit more but should you need to fly to the next port or have to disembark early, you'll be able to. You wouldn't with a passport card. I think it's really for people, for instance, who go back and forth between the U.S. and Canada by car frequently. I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you get a passport card instead of a passport.

It is only good for land or sea crossings for getting back into the US. Not acceptable for flights and no other country has publicly made a statement saying that they will accept the passport card being that it has no legal standing in international law.

Question to the board members:

Would this card be useful as a "backup" for getting back into the US from the ship. Say if one's passport were lost during the voyage (assuming disembarcation was at a US port)?

If the Passport card is $50, why not get a passport? Yes, it's a bit more but should you need to fly to the next port or have to disembark early, you'll be able to. You wouldn't with a passport card. I think it's really for people, for instance, who go back and forth between the U.S. and Canada by car frequently. I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you get a passport card instead of a passport.

As I mentioned earlier I know it is not a replacement for a passport. Rather it fits in my money clip when cruising.......I never leave home wwithout my passport....never will.

Would this card be useful as a "backup" for getting back into the US from the ship. Say if one's passport were lost during the voyage (assuming disembarcation was at a US port)?

As I understand it from the website yes it would.

Yes, it would. Particularly since on a cruise of this type, it would be suitable documentation by itself.

The utility of a passport card in other situations is debatable. It cannot be used to fly internationally, but having one in an emergency (vs. having nothing else) would be helpful. It could be used as support documentation and evidence of citizenship, just as an expired passport can be used. How far that will get you, and what other evidence is required, varies from situation to situation and the discretionary authority of whomever you are dealing with.

My wife and I just renewed our NEXUS in October for another 5 years a cost of $50 each. Nexus is a joint project of the CDN & US governments and is an electronic card with all of your vitals including pix, finger prints, passport number and retina scan. It only works at some border points, airports and cruise terminals but man does it work. You proceed thru a dedicated lane a simply flash your card against a screen at border points or a retina scanner at air ports and cruise terminals. They are not easy to get as both customs agencies have to approve you, do crim and security checks and then you have to go for interviews with both custom agencies.

Appreciate the input. The website says it is also accepted in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda but adds it is not valid for flying. Still hoping to find someone who has applied.

The US Passport card will not be available until Spring '08.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/chnge_in_proced.xml

The passport card is a good alternative for kids if you know you will never be flying outside the U.S. - only using it to drive to Mexico or Canada or for a cruise in and out of a U.S. port. It is less expensive than a passport.

However, if you ever intend to fly to a port out of the U.S., or if you want to go the Caribbean for a land vacation, don't waste your money - just get the passport.

Archived