Seward/Kenai - land only?

herbshopgirl

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a 3 day pre-cruise in May to the Seward area. My Mom(72) and I tend to get seasick on smaller boats. Seems like the most popular tours for this area are the Kenai Fjords Cruise and then the Prince William Sound cruise(before we board in Whittier). This would put us on 2 smaller boats in less than 3 days.

Is there a way to experience this area without getting on a boat or small plane? We are flying into Anchorage(spend one night) and had plan to head down to Seward for 2 nights and then back up to Anchorage for one night before we catch a transfer(bus or train) to Whittier.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Susan

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a 3 day pre-cruise in May to the Seward area. My Mom(72) and I tend to get seasick on smaller boats. Seems like the most popular tours for this area are the Kenai Fjords Cruise and then the Prince William Sound cruise(before we board in Whittier). This would put us on 2 smaller boats in less than 3 days.

Is there a way to experience this area without getting on a boat or small plane? We are flying into Anchorage(spend one night) and had plan to head down to Seward for 2 nights and then back up to Anchorage for one night before we catch a transfer(bus or train) to Whittier.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Susan

LOTS to do if you have a car and don't want small boats. Alyeska may be good for one night, then one night in Seward. Or one night in Cooper Landing (beautiful scenery) and one night in Seward. So much to do on the drive from ANC. Check through these threads and search for all the fun things to do without the small boat cruises.

Thank you so much....that helps a lot. Looks like we can still take in the beauty without turning green on a boat.

Thank you again,

Susan

One big reason I suggested you spend the first night on your way to Seward at either Alyeska or Cooper Landing. All the stuff in the drive is from about Cooper Landing and north towards Anchorage. You won't be trying to sightsee and then get to Seward very late if you split the trip into two days. And if you enjoy fine dining, Seven Glaciers on the top of the mountain at Alyeska is a fantastic place to eat. Enjoy!!!

As only another suggestion- consult your health care professional and see if they might be able to recommend a motion sickness remedy?? The two mentioned boat tours are definately top tour choices in the area, one having spectacular glacier views, the other varied wildlife. Each available no where else and grossly superior to anything from your cruiseship.

Thanks everyone. I redesigned the trip on your recommendations and this is what I came up with:

Fly into Anchorage and spend the night

Next day - enjoy a nice drive down to Seward(stops at Potter's Marsh, Beluga Point, Portage Glacier, Moose Pass, etc)

Next day - enjoy a nice drive to Homer and spend the night at the Land's End.

Next day - relaxing drive back to Anchorage and spend night.

Next day - take train to Whittier and board ship

I am hoping this would give us plenty of time to take everything in and also see this part of Alaska(given my parents age and other health concerns). My main focus is that they have a wonderful trip.

Thank you for all your help.

Susan

Thanks everyone. I redesigned the trip on your recommendations and this is what I came up with:

Next day - enjoy a nice drive down to Seward(stops at Potter's Marsh, Beluga Point, Portage Glacier, Moose Pass, etc)

I am hoping this would give us plenty of time to take everything in and also see this part of Alaska(given my parents age and other health concerns). My main focus is that they have a wonderful trip.

Susan

You do not have enough time in either Seward or Homer. Since you do not want to consider any boat trips, it is highly recommend you choose one or the other and have 2 nights. Homer is definately NOT a one night location in my opinion.

Susan

On this one I am going to disagree with NancyIL and BQ. This will be a nice leisurely drive, with lots of stops and not a lot of walking (for your parents). You should have enough time to make it to the Sea Life Center in Seward-open until 7 in the summer. Stop at the Wildlife Conservation center on your way down. And lunch at Alyeska is really nice-the lunch/tram combo is a pretty good deal and the views are to die for. You can see the entire area from the top of the mountain.

On your drive to Homer, stop at Mykel's in Soldotna for lunch. They have very good LOCAL fish meals.

PLEASE check out your accommodations at Land's End. The new building has NO elevator (3 stories). If your parents have a hard time climbing stairs, this is NOT the place to stay. Dealt with the situation in 2006 with FIL-once we got him up the steps, he refused to leave, as it was just toooo hard on him.

Four nights in 4 different hotels is not what I would consider relaxing - even if the drive is for the parents. As an alternative, rent from Avis in Anchorage, drive to Homer first and stay 2 nights, then drive to Seward and stay 1 night. The day of the cruise, drive to Whittier and drop-off the rental car. Since you're not going on a boat trip out of Whittier, you can take your time getting there.

Four nights in 4 different hotels is not what I would consider relaxing - even if the drive is for the parents. As an alternative, rent from Avis in Anchorage, drive to Homer first and stay 2 nights, then drive to Seward and stay 1 night. The day of the cruise, drive to Whittier and drop-off the rental car. Since you're not going on a boat trip out of Whittier, you can take your time getting there.

this is the best advice and makes the best use of time, even though more costly.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the input. This is a tough one. I will be meeting with my parents to go over our options. My parents are in relatively good health for 72 and 77. Dad can't walk/stand for long periods of time and Mom gets seasick. She also has macular degeneration so I want to be sure she sees everything she wants while she can.

I was hoping by driving to Homer we would get a good over view of that area of Alaska, I would think it would be a beautiful drive...but the downside is 4 hotels in 4 days.

I think 2 nights in Seward and taking the Kenai Fjords cruise would be a good alternative too. I hate to miss Homer because I heard it was beautiful but we have limited time. I hope we have good weather so the boat is not too rocky.

I am going to present both options to them tomorrow, my Dad's 77th birthday party, and see what they like.

I really appreciate all the input, this helps me so much especially since I have never been there. Please let me know if you ever have questions about Orlando.

Thanks again,

Susan

My feelings about the drive to Homer is...once past Cooper Landing the road and scenery become flat and pretty boring for 3 hours. Homer is nice and scenic but with limited time I don't think it would be worth it.

I certainly do not want to start a "cat fight" between Seward and Homer. I also lived on the peninsula for several years. Please accept this as just another opinion only. I agree the scenery between Copper Landing and Soldotna is not particularly scenic. However the view from Soldotna to Homer can be spectacular with the inlet on the right and the quite often smoking volcanoes a short distance away across the inlet. Be sure to take a picture of the Russian church on the bluff at Ninilchik. Homer is getting civilized but is still a funky place with beautiful views. If they are not able to go on the boat tours in Seward, I think Homer is a good alternative on the peninsula.

Archived