Onboard Seabourn Spirit Southeast Asia

harbormaster

Hello from the Spirit off Pulau Singa Besar, Malaysia. We are having a marina day here today, then off to Langkawi this evening, docking at 6 pm.

This location is a change from Ko Hood, due to an infestation of jellyfish there. Lovely place.

Sorry I haven't posted earlier, but the internet has been down or slow and I finally was able to get in.

As a first time Seabourn cruises, we can say that the ship is in lovely shape. New tile and carpeting in the dining room, our suite is beautiful, with lots of space and the bathroom is great.

Captain is Toenis Soerensen, Hotel Manager is Guenter Steinbrunner, Maitre' D

is Marcel, CD is Jan Stearman, with David E and Marla.

The service on the Spirit is absolutely first rate - all the staff are friendly and efficient and we feel very pampered. Extremely impressed by the high quality of service in every respect. Food also has been excellent. Last evening we had the deck BBQ and Rock the Boat - great fun.

The Seabourn Experience on Ko Kood, Thailand was absolutely perfect. Wonderful Sandy beach, glorious food and drink and the boat activities ashore like the banan boat were such fun. One of the best, if not the best, ship activities we've ever done.

We've enjoyed Singapore, Bangkok (need more than 2 days), Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Malacca very much. SE Asia is booming!

Tonight and tomorrow we are in our last port, Langkawi, Malaysia and then one sea day and back to Singpore on Thursday.

It will be very difficult to leave the staff on this ship - they are truly special.

Passengers are mostly British, Australian and other European - would say about 20% American. Very nice mix.

That's about it for now. Have to get down to the Marina deck.

Harbormaster,

Thank you for posting this report and I am glad you are enjoying your first Seabourn cruise experience. From the officers and staff that you have mentioned, you are most definitely sailing with the Seabourn "A" Team! With the triplets being so small, it is easier to be more flexible when last-minute changes are required.

Please continue to keep us landlocded sailors in the loop. I know others have posted here that in the part of the Seaoburn world you are currently sailing, the internet and satellite TV service was a bit spotty.

Continued happy sailing!! :)

Harbormaster

You are definitley sailing with the Seabourn stars! Did you know yesterday (Feb. 24th) was Captain Toenis T's birthday? Next time you see Guenter please tell him the "Texas Cowgirl" sends him a hug!

He's a grrrreat Hot Man! And Jan, David E. and Marla are true stars and entertainers ~~~Marcel is a Seabourn jewel!:D

The Spirit will be coming back to the America's Nov., 2009 (from Lisbon) I hope to book a voyage on her and enjoy the refurbishments.

Thank you for posting ~~~have a continued wonderful sailing!:p

Martita B.

We will be boarding on the 13th of March in Hong Kong for the 30 day Grand Voyage and we are absolutely delighted to hear who the senior staff will be.

This is definately the "A Team" and the only thing that could make it better would be if Karl where the Maitre d'. All in all, very happy campers.

Bruther

Congratulations on sailing the Spirit Grand Voyage! Captain Toenis T. will be disembarking for a much deserved R&R and Captain Geir-Arne will be coming to be at the helm. Oh, March 13th is my birthday!:D I'm sure Captain G-A will be taking lots of photos.

Sorry as Mr. Karl will be aboard with us on the Pride TA Crossing ~~I'm so proud of Karl and William! They've both been busy training staff for the Odyssey.

Happy Trails and Sails :p

Martita B.

We will be boarding on the 13th of March in Hong Kong for the 30 day Grand Voyage and we are absolutely delighted to hear who the senior staff will be.

This is definately the "A Team" and the only thing that could make it better would be if Karl where the Maitre d'. All in all, very happy campers.

Lucca numero uno :cool:

Thanks for the information Martita, this will be our fourth time in this area, so we know it well. Looking forward to meeting Capt. GA

Will have a drink to your birthday at the sailaway and give grettings from the "Texas Cowgirl"

Bob

You will certainly enjoy Captain Geir-Arne ~~as you will enjoy meeting either Staff Captain, Kai or Norwegian Nils (he's a wild boar farmer--and typical large mustached Viking Sailor)

Do ask Captain G-A to show you his famous ship "rat guards!" He actually hauls them from ship to ship ~~~quite a sight! He's very proud of these guards and will be very pleased to hear you know of them. And will take you down to the pier and give you a "guided tour." He's a swell fellow ~~~thank you for taking my"Texas Greetings."

As to the Hotel Manager I'm not sure who will be aboard ~~Guenter will need a vacation soon. Hot Man could be my good friend, Vitor Alves (from Portugal) He's also a super-duper Hot man! Was aboard the Pride for many years. We've had many fun parties and events together.

Happy Sailing!:p

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Martita.

Both Guenter and Vitor were onboard the Spirit the last time we were in SE ASIA in 2006. Know them well, so we are happy campers.

Today, Ottawa received 40 cm of Snow (approx 20 inches), this brings the total snowfall this winter to 375 cm. so we will be so happy to blow this palace.

Leaving on the 10th on a nonstop out of Toronto. 16 hours in the air. Happily we are in one of the new suites so it should pass pleasantly.

Staying in Hong Kong for two nights at the Langham in one of their suites so we will be well looked after and then 30 days on the Spirit. can life get any "suiter"?

PS. Picked a few Green Decorations and a few Easter Eggs, so we are ready to go.

• 5 weeks later...

Harbourmaster

Were you on the Spirit on 20th March ?

Can you tell me please what date / when you knew you would dock in Shanghai at 2.30 pm on 20th

Our ship left at 2pm ........so instead of the 2 days we were supposed to have on our itinery in Shanghai it was cut short

It seems our TA should have advised me of the change and they failed along with offering me the chance to cancel

All we have had is a myriad of excuses which do not make up for being unable to go to Souchow as we had planned

• 4 weeks later...

On our last cruise someone told us that one of routes was superior to another. I think Hong Kong sailing south to Singapore was the way for the currents and weather..Am I right, or is it the other way around. Jim

We will be on the Spirit Nov1st 08 for 31 days. Can someone tell us who will be on the ship at the head of the different Dept's. Like the Capt. head of the dining (Karl) Hotel mgr. Etc. Would just like to know.

Steve

You are probably a little early but Southampton office can provide such information. :)

Do ask Captain G-A to show you his famous ship "rat guards!" He actually hauls them from ship to ship ~~~quite a sight! He's very proud of these guards and will be very pleased to hear you know of them. And will take you down to the pier and give you a "guided tour." He's a swell fellow ~~~thank you for taking my"Texas Greetings."

Martita B.

Greetings Martita - I thought of your 'rat' escapades when I saw the cutest little mechanical rat in Russia that scurries along a few inches, stops, twitches his nose, makes a little sound, then continues on.

Anyone else embarking on May 13th??

Is the "A" team still onboard? I hope so - as I adore Marcell and have missed him on recent trips!

Anyone have a suggestion on where to stay near the pier in Alexandria the night before? My TA suggested a hotel in Cairo, but I think I would rather be in Alexandria to join friends for an early shore excursion, and I love watching the ship come into port from my balcony if possible.

Leslie

Archived