Adults Only cruise 2009?

Lovergirl

Brazilgirl,

You have only to read these boards to see folks "warn" others that a gay group is on a cruise (most often under the self-flattering guise of "it doesn't bother me but I thought folks should know...") so your "how would it feel" paragraph resonates with me (a gay man) and I apologise if I have hurt your feelings or cost you sleep.

I personally would love a child free cruise. It is not saying that I don't feel children should cruise. Almost all cruise ships include children. It is just saying that I love Celebrity (among other large lines), and it sure would be nice to sail on a ship I love with only adults. There are many like minded people out there. I love children, but there are times I would like a break from vacationing with children on board. It would be nice to have that choice. For those wanting to vacation with children on board, there are plenty of choices. So ...one adult only cruise now and then would be a real treat.

It just would change the atmosphere a little. I have dined with passengers with children, and the table conversation was great; but personally, I would prefer adult conversation. I know...you are going to say to switch tables. It was not that big of issue. I am just saying that a WHOLE ship full of adults only certainly changes the atmosphere. Karaoke would be adult-oriented; pools not a such a splash zone; and the list could go on and on.

This is not meant to get in an argument. It is just my opinion...and something I would really be interested in.

By the way, I have been to Sandals. Sandals now includes Beaches, in its family of resorts. At Beaches, children and families or singles or couples, are all welcome. We have no children, but we had a most enjoyable time.

So, in effect, Sandals offers both options.

Wouldn't it be great if cruise lines did the same?

Child Cruise/Families/Etc.

No children/Over 18 or 21

Schplinky-your posts have not hurt my feelings or cost me sleep...There are many posts on this thread that I consider entirely appropriate-people sharing information about the possibility of cruises or resorts geared to an adult crowd. I am sure it is hurtful to read "warnings" about gay groups also. I f I read one you can be sure I will say something!

I just want to reitirate-I have NO PROBLEM with the concept of adult- only cruises .The idea has its merits. I really think it is important to offer venues which are kid-free.I am not the kind of parent that thinks that I must take my kids everywhere. I frequently leave my kids with caring adults in order to go out to dinner , go to the movies , spend few nights at a pousada (bed and breakfast type inn ).I just take issue with what I perceive to be child and parent slamming. As mentioned in other posts , of course there are badly behaved children (and parents) and adults in the world.It would be lovely to avoid all forms of unpleasantness , wouldn´t it? But hey this is the real world .I just try to tune people who are bothersome out.And if my kids are being unruly you can bet I will call them on it.

By the way , I am planning to feed my kids at the buffet or kids club on most nights.(not because of comments made here-I just want alone time with DH).I just think the boards should be used to make people more informed ,discerning passengers and not or make anyone feel unwelcome.

Anyway ,I think the boards are a lot of fun and it is nice to debate once in awhile .Keeps the blood flowing.

There are some gorgeous adults only resorts here in Brazil. More intimate (smaller scaled)than Sandals, but really nice. There are also quite a few pousadas which cater to adults in a gorgeous coastal town called Parati.A lot of famous people hang out there.Check ém out .Have a geat day.Kim

Leisure travel is a topic that I take very seriously and I firmly believe that the world is a big enough place that EVERYONE can have an enjoyable vacation no matter what they are into.

A Dean that I once worked with at Ohio State once said "no matter how weird you are and whatever you are into, there is always someone weirder. It's just a matter of perspective."

Several years ago, I was strolling along Orient Beach in St. Martin and had a delightful conversation with a Swiss couple who spend a 3 week "clothing optional" vacation every year with their children. I would probably not consider bringing an 8 year old boy and 13 year old girl to a clothing optional resort, but they did and I didn't think they were bad parents for it. Their standards were different, not wrong.

Likewise, the standards of what is tolerable behavior of children and adults on cruises is what is driving this discussion.

I don't believe this discussion is about clothing optional or gay cruising. Rather, there is a pent-up need for adult-only cruising, preferably on Celebrity cruises.

As previously mentioned, SAGA cruises want cruisers over the age of 50 and I believe they don't take anyone under 40. P&O was a couple of adult-only ships. I remember seeing some other cruise line state that no passengers under the age of 12 would be accepted (believe me, I know some 12 year olds with better manners than some 21 year olds).

The success of an adult-only cruise is going to be dictated by the success of the marketing and the mix of passengers. It seems to me that what many people want is a calm and restful journey with some entertainment that hasn't been blanched down to PG-13. We want to be able to use the pools and hot tubs without splash fights. We would rather not witness temper tantrums and diaper changes. (Admittedly, adults can have splash fights, temper tantrums and diaper changes so the lack of children might not be effective.)

I would be delighted if it were a cruise that was off the beaten path, like the Canary Islands and Morocco or the less traveled islands of the southern Caribbean.

Just some thoughts.

I would like it if the cruiselines actually enforced their rules for adults only spaces such as hot tubs or adults only pools. I think that would take a lot of stress /animosity away from people who want some child-free time on their cruise. It just seems that now, despite what the rules say, there is no place to "get away" and get some peace and quiet on a cruise.

I would love to do some cruising with my friends and family that have kids, but I would really need some space without the kids (besides my stateroom) during that week, ya know? I love them to death, but sometimes I can't take it anymore (and, hey, I know parents can't either).

Anyway, it's a very sensitive issue because parents feel attacked when people inquire about child-free cruises or which cruise lines/times have fewest children and then those of us who love the kids in their lives (as I do), but want to spend their vacation relatively child-free also feel attacked.

I've read that Disney has adults only places/lounges? Is that true? Is it actually enforced? That might be a good option for when I go back to "mixed" cruising (doing all gay cruises now, somewhat for the "no kids" time).

I absolutely agree that people should have the option of having a kid free ship or kid free environments on ships.

Rules(about everything) should be enforced, not ignored.There should be adult only pools hot tubs and shows on all ships.I don´t think things have to be pg-13 even on regular cruises. Shows could be given ratings and children could be excluded from certain showings.

I am not trying to upset anyone who wants Celebrity to offer Adults-only cruises.I think it is a legitimate desire and should be catered too.I just think the thread should stick to the discussion of creating such a cruise or recommending options which are currently available and not enumerating all the reasons that kids are irritating (which they certainly can be) and why parents nowadays are doing a terrible job.

Once again , I totally agree that ALL cruises should offer adult only areas and entertainment.Everyone has a right to quiet time and I will be the first in line to go to these places offered.I will leave my kids in the Fun Factory or hire a babysitter after they are in bed.Who knows , if Celebrity offers an adults only cruise I may book it.But for now I am taking my kids on the Summit on a dream come true vacation to the Med.My 8 yr old loves ancient history and seeing all those sites in living color will be a true thrill. I know we will have a great time.Gotta go to work so....thanks for the lively discussion.

I have children and 1 grandchild so I feel I have a right to chime in here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a child free vacation (ship). There are plenty a child friendly ships, ALL of the ships do NOT have to be child friendly,there are hundreds of cruise ships to choose from. I also don't think anyone really said anything all that upsetting about kids,sometimes they are a pain in the tail,especially in a limited environment. If I go on Royal Caribbean or Princess or Carnival I expect and am prepared for kids.... If I go on Crystal or Celebrity,not so much. I don't understand the thinking that everyone is supposed to respond to, tolerate or enjoy children the way other people think they should. Some people like kids some don't. I love my children but I can absolutely guarantee you I didn't ALWAYS like them. I also think that comparing wanting an adults only cruise with the bigotry that is sometimes directed toward gays is "apples to oranges". There is something for everyone out there we just need a little understanding of each other.

Jennifer;)

I've read that Disney has adults only places/lounges? Is that true? Is it actually enforced? That might be a good option for when I go back to "mixed" cruising (doing all gay cruises now, somewhat for the "no kids" time).

From what I have read, Disney is actually very strict about their adults only spaces, because they know that this might be an issue for some folks who would not normally choose their line. They even have an adults only beach on their private island. I'd love to try Disney but it's always so priced up compared to the competition that we wind up back on RCL or X each time!

Thanks Schplinky, that is good to know. It'd be worth the extra money, I think, in order to be able to travel family and/or friends with children and still have some "adult" time. It's unfortunate that other cruise lines don't seem to enforce these policies at all (from my experience on Costa and Carnival and from reading posts on CC from other cruisers).

It'd be nice if Celebrity would do an adults only cruise, though, my husband and I would love to be able to take our mothers and adult family members on a cruise and I know they'd rather not vacation around children either. Unfortunately the more expensive cruises with less children are too expensive for us to treat our Moms.

And Jennifer, thanks very much for your post, as a gay man who has had to deal with some of the "underhanded" homophobia on CC, I appreciate it.

I also don't think anyone really said anything all that upsetting about kids,sometimes they are a pain in the tail,especially in a limited environment.

Jennifer;)

"Kids are fine as long as I don't have to hear, see, smell, or touch them. "

"What!? No crumb crunchers? No patter of slapping feet over your stateroom on the deck above? Like... no screams of squeely voices bursting from the elevator? No cute little ketchup stained fingers reaching between your arm and ribs to grab that last piece of pizza. No sitting at a table with a bale of debris, straws and bubble gum wrappers on the floor? What about that breeze as they flash by down the companionway? Or the cascade of Coca-Cola accross 3 tables as their glass hits the floor perfectly flat? What is wrong with you people!?" Which was then followed by "too funny"

"Brats" (several times)

PolyDonald gave the best post of this thread and I agree with him. I traveled with and without my children when they were younger and loved the vacations when we did not have our kids. I just get annoyed at the double standard.

It's just one of the choices of avatar or icon that you have when you set up your profile. It doesn't mean anything in particular. Though, I'm from Baltimore and the crab is kind of our mascot.

One of the best 4th of Julys ever in Baltimore and it had to do with crabs, the wonderful harbor and a whole day layover waiting for a flight to Iceland. My hubby and I will never forget it.:) I could not have fallen into a better day if I tripped over it.

Brazilgirl, being as computer illiterate as I am. I cannot do all of the clever things I see people doing,so I just chose that crab because I could figure out how to put it on there,as it was the only thing they had that I thought fit me insome way...... My favorite color is red,I'm athletic((4 NYC Marathons) and sometimes I'm crabby and I do love to eat them especially bluecrab.:D I wish I knew how to do all the little things people do on the computer,I'm still trying to post pictures and it makes me crabby!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I'm glad you enjoyed your day in Charm City. I hope you were there long enough to see the fireworks over the harbor that night, which is quite pretty as they reflect off the water.

It's funny as I live only 4 or 5 blocks from the Harbor, but rarely go down there as it's "always been there" (well since I was a toddler), but it's a great place to take out of town guests with the Aquarium, Phillips (for the crabs), etc. It was created by the same folks who did Bayside in Miami, which is just a few blocks from the cruise terminal.

I too am a computer "dummie"-I still haven´t figured out how to work the cruise countdown!

I´d love to love to run....I have been lifting weights for about 7 years now and love it but running....well.I lived near San Francisco during my childhood and teen years and they have the best dungeness crab.Dip it in butter , accompanied by sourdough bread-fabulous.

Baltimore sounds neat.My best lived there for years while at Johns Hopkin but I never got to visit.

Anybody been to the Aquarium in Barcelona-I am planning to visit it while on the cruise and wonder if it is nice.Kim

I too am a computer "dummie"-I still haven´t figured out how to work the cruise countdown!

I´d love to love to run....I have been lifting weights for about 7 years now and love it but running....well.I lived near San Francisco during my childhood and teen years and they have the best dungeness crab.Dip it in butter , accompanied by sourdough bread-fabulous.

Baltimore sounds neat.My best lived there for years while at Johns Hopkin but I never got to visit.

Anybody been to the Aquarium in Barcelona-I am planning to visit it while on the cruise and wonder if it is nice.Kim

Barcelona is a wonderful city, I haven't been to the Aquarium but the "Olde" section of the city is very cool. I also think it has the best looking men of any city I've ever been in. We'll be there in may,when will you be there?

Emjsea, the fireworks were wonderful. The best,most memorable times always seem to happen when unplanned.

I have been enjoying the atmosphere of adult only resorts since the 80s and it is nonsense that most of them are geared toward swingers or nudists. The few that do are quite clear about it actually.

Couples and Sandals cater to just that; the Lido Resorts, the many AIs in the DR and MX cater to adults only, without requiring them to be part of a couple. Some attract a party hearty crowd, some are low key and elegant.

Just as in cruising, there are options for every taste and budget.

The adults only resorts I mentioned previously which are located on the coast of Brazil are extremely upscale.A lot of them are smaller , not all-inclusive, with a Thai or "tropical chic " feel to them.They serve wonderful food and have gorgeous beaches and romantic settings.There are not lots of "activities"-more relaxation and one-on-one time.No nudism or swinging.Actually,even going topless on the beach is frowned upon here , contrary to popular belief.There is some topless during the carnaval parades , but that is it.

The adults only resorts I mentioned previously which are located on the coast of Brazil are extremely upscale.A lot of them are smaller , not all-inclusive, with a Thai or "tropical chic " feel to them.They serve wonderful food and have gorgeous beaches and romantic settings.There are not lots of "activities"-more relaxation and one-on-one time.No nudism or swinging.Actually,even going topless on the beach is frowned upon here , contrary to popular belief.There is some topless during the carnaval parades , but that is it.

I'm in!!! My DH and I went to Peru last Octiber and I want to see all of South America,Peru was beautiful.

Jennifer

By the way ,I will be in Barcelona on May 10th and 11th.

A very good destination at the moment in SA is Argentina,.Their currency has really devalued and you can have a very sophisticated trip for dirt cheap. Very good night life.I haven´t been there recently ,but am planning to visit this year. A lot of good friends are raving about it.Kim

Archived