Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

we will be in YVR July 16 and boarding the Diamond Princess on July 18. I am trying to plan a tour to Victoria for full day on July 17 and morning tour till we board in Vancouver. Any suggestions on tours to book?

I saw in an earlier post on this thread that we should plan for as much as 2 hours to cross the US/Canada border in addition to the 3 hours driving time between Seattle and Vancouver. Sounds like this is worst case. What is the average, or norm. And what are you doing all this time, sitting in line in your car?

The drive time is about 3 hrs. As for the waits at the border, there is no norm. Friday afternoons and weekends during the summer plan on up to 3 hrs. During the week it can range from say 10 to 20 mins early in the morning before 8 am to 2 hrs or more in the afternoons.

Question: Are the rates in U.S. dollars or Canadian? Also, when a taxi quotes price is it Canadian? Last time I was in Vancouver I never ask them. I just paid them in U.S. dollars plus tip. They were really happy and even gave me their cards for future calls.

Thank you.

Question: Are the rates in U.S. dollars or Canadian? Also, when a taxi quotes price is it Canadian? Last time I was in Vancouver I never ask them. I just paid them in U.S. dollars plus tip. They were really happy and even gave me their cards for future calls.

Prices for services in Canada are marked in Canadian Dollars, which is the only legal tender in Canada. That being said, almost everyone will accept US$ with some varying exchange rate, but a lot of businesses will refuse to accept US$50 and US$100 bills, as they are widely counterfeited. The exchange rate right now is about 17% that is, US$1 = Cdn$1.17 but the merchant may offer you anything from par to a great rate.

I'm not surprised he was happy, essentially you tipped him twice!

Quite a storm we have had going on up here over night and into this morning...lots of rain and wind gusts to 50 mph. No damage that I am aware of.....just as long as it doesn't blow down our StarChoice dish....need it for the Canuck game tonight. :) Just glad I am not bouncing around out in the Strait of Georgia (Salish Sea)....whatever happened to that idea, hope it died while I was down south?

Haven't heard much about that lately - but is it the Strait of Georgia or the Gulf of Georgia and how do you determine which is which. And to further muddy the waters - if it is a Strait why are they called the Gulf islands.

Clearing off here in Vancouver - will miss most of the game as I am attending my former employer's AGM and Staff recognition celebration at the Pan Pacific tonight.

Cheers

Dennis

I remember for years the reference to "gulf" but while I have thrown out my natuical charts...just to old....based upon the land maps I have it is "strait". Now I guess one could argue that that part of the strait below Vancouver before it meets Jaun de Fuca Strait is a gulf but then how so you square Haro Strait and Roasrio Strait?...I give up.:confused: Guess the state of the economy overshadowed the Salish Sea matter.:rolleyes:

Hi Putterdude, I'm leaving Canada Place June 3, 2009 on my first ever cruise:D:D

I'm booked into the Delta on Hastings for the night of June 2, 09 and wondering how far I am from Canada Place. I'm travelling alone and in a motorized wheelchair. Can I motor on down there myself? Is it safe? Or should I get a taxi?

Also what is a good reasonable place to eat supper on the 2nd?

Thanks for your help:)

Lindalans

Edited by lindalans

It is about four blocks to Canada Place from your hotel and mainly downhill all the way so you shouldn't have any problems with a scooter - the area is safe - we have panhandlers but they are more of a nuisance than a threat.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Putterdude, I'm leaving Canada Place June 3, 2009 on my first ever cruise:D:D

I'm booked into the Delta on Hastings for the night of June 2, 09 and wondering how far I am from Canada Place. I'm travelling alone and in a motorized wheelchair. Can I motor on down there myself? Is it safe? Or should I get a taxi?

Also what is a good reasonable place to eat supper on the 2nd?

Thanks for your help:)

Lindalans

Welcome to Vancouver and I hope you have a wonderful visit and cruise.:) Delta Suties on Hastings and Seymour is about 5 blocks and you would be very safe, it is quite level to just slightly downhill. The question that is in my mind is how you will handle your luggage....but I am sure that you have that figured out.

For a resonably priced dinner dinner, I was going to recommend the White Spot and Seymour & Georgia but I phoned them and they are not accessible:mad: So then phoned Moxies at 180 W. Georgia and they are or there is Steamworks-Transcontinental on Cordova just a few blocks from the Delta...otherwise there is your hotel.

http://www.moxies.ca/StoreLocator/Default.aspx#

http://www.steamworks.com/transcontinental/index.html

Hi Putterdude,

Thank you soooo much for your help, and for your kindness in phoning the White Spot to see if it's wheelchair accessible. I'll probably choose Moxies as we have one in Red Deer, AB & I love their cheese and broccoli soup;)

If it's not raining I'll just tootle down to Canada Place rather than take a taxi. I have a suitcase that sits nicely on my knee (providing I pack light!!!!)

I'll give you a wave from the ship:)

Thanks again,

Lindalans

This thread is amazing! Thank you for all the info. My husband and I are hoping to stay in Vancouver for a week in July before our Alaska cruise. We have secured a room at the Accent Inn in Richmond for the night before we leave, where we can leave our car for 2 weeks and round trip shuttle. Thank you for that tip. :)

We are considering renting for a week a garden apartment in a private home on 11th between Commercial and Woodland . We would really like to see Vancouver while we are there. Any information about this neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. Safe? If so, restaurants within walking distance? We would be off East Broadway. Much has been said about W. Broadway, but I could not find anything about East. Thanks a lot. Cathy

Upcoming:

Carnival Spirit 7/22/09

Carnival Spirit 7/29/09

Completed:

Carnival Freedom 2/19/09 Western Caribbean

Carnival Destiny 2/14/09 Western Caribbean

Carnival Freedom 1/17/09 Exotic Western Caribbean

Carnival Freedom 1/3/09 Eastern Caribbean

This thread is amazing! Thank you for all the info. My husband and I are hoping to stay in Vancouver for a week in July before our Alaska cruise. We have secured a room at the Accent Inn in Richmond for the night before we leave, where we can leave our car for 2 weeks and round trip shuttle. Thank you for that tip. :)

We are considering renting for a week a garden apartment in a private home on 11th between Commercial and Woodland . We would really like to see Vancouver while we are there. Any information about this neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. Safe? If so, restaurants within walking distance? We would be off East Broadway. Much has been said about W. Broadway, but I could not find anything about East. Thanks a lot. Cathy

It's a busy area, altough you're only 2 blocks from a major transit intersection. North on Commercial drive (between 6th and Venables) there are a lot of excellent little restuarants.

However, it would be easy to get anywhere in town, as Skytrain's Commercial and Broadway stations are at Broadway(9th) and Commercial. And it's the starting point for the 99 BLine bus that runs west along Broadway (runs almost continuously)

Would it be feasible to walk from the Amtrak station to 602 Dunsmuir (St. Regis)? Looks like about a mile, which is doable, but is it pedestrian friendly?

It's possible and if you can handle your own luggage then go for it. I probably wouldn't do it....but its safe enough.

Hi again. Is the Commercial/Broadway area a safe area to walk at night? We prefer to park our car and see as much as we can on foot. Thanks in advance for info.

Thank you Putterdude for Accent Inn tip!

Thanks everyone. Cathy

Your most welcome on the Accent Inn tip. Yes the broadway and commercial area is a safe area, it is the heart of our Italian neighborhood and you will find lots of independent restaurants and cafes.

There is a great Chinese restaurant on the corner of 12th Ave and Commercial called the Chongquing...it is szechuan style.

Then as Putter or Dennis said if you walk down (north) on Commercial to Broadway (9th Ave) you are at the transportation hub for that neighbourhood. You can take a bus across (west) to about two blocks of every nationality of restaurant know to humankind between Cambie Street and Oak Street. Or, you can walk down (north) on Commercial to what the locals call "The Drive" where you also find every nation respresented by a restaurant....cheek to jowl... all the way to Hastings Street....but that is a long walk! Among the best Italian restarants in the city are on "The Drive" but others as well.

It is safe neighbourhood to walk in after dark....but it is also a fun neighboourhood to stroll during the day and just people watch.

I hope you have really good time here.

First of all...thank you two and the others who have made this fantastic thread with so much help and information. My first trip to Vancouver is coming up shortly and I've learned a tremendous amount by reading here.

Three of us will be arriving in Vancouver next Friday (on Amtrak Thruway Bus) for a Saturday cruise departure. We're thinking of taking the pre-cruise offered by Vancouver Tours. Their website says they'll pick up you and your luggage at your hotel (Hampton Inn downtown in our case).

My question is....Do you know if they have any limits on how much luggage they allow per person? I'm afraid it's going to look more like we're embarking on a world cruise rather than a 7-day. :o

Another question....since there are 3 of us and ALL that luggage...do you think getting a taxi to accommodate us at the Amtrak station to the hotel will be a problem? I've read many taxis are downsizing. Will there be other options for larger vehicles there or will we need to call for some of the limo services mentioned on this thread?

THANK YOU!!!!! So excited about visiting!

First of all...thank you two and the others who have made this fantastic thread with so much help and information. My first trip to Vancouver is coming up shortly and I've learned a tremendous amount by reading here.

Three of us will be arriving in Vancouver next Friday (on Amtrak Thruway Bus) for a Saturday cruise departure. We're thinking of taking the pre-cruise offered by Vancouver Tours. Their website says they'll pick up you and your luggage at your hotel (Hampton Inn downtown in our case).

My question is....Do you know if they have any limits on how much luggage they allow per person? I'm afraid it's going to look more like we're embarking on a world cruise rather than a 7-day. :o

Another question....since there are 3 of us and ALL that luggage...do you think getting a taxi to accommodate us at the Amtrak station to the hotel will be a problem? I've read many taxis are downsizing. Will there be other options for larger vehicles there or will we need to call for some of the limo services mentioned on this thread?

THANK YOU!!!!! So excited about visiting!

Vancouver Tours are used of people arriving with tons of luggage so I wouldn't worry about that.

My concern is getting you from the Pacific Central Station to the Hampton in an efficient and economical manner. Unless you can handle it all and get over to the Skytrain Station, get off at Stadium Station and then walk a couple of blocks then you are at the mercy of the cab companies. I would suggest going to a taxi phone inside the PC station requesting a van-cab and if they can't provide you are going to have to do the limo thing...sorry.:)

Vancouver Tours are used of people arriving with tons of luggage so I wouldn't worry about that.

My concern is getting you from the Pacific Central Station to the Hampton in an efficient and economical manner. Unless you can handle it all and get over to the Skytrain Station, get off at Stadium Station and then walk a couple of blocks then you are at the mercy of the cab companies. I would suggest going to a taxi phone inside the PC station requesting a van-cab and if they can't provide you are going to have to do the limo thing...sorry.:)

I very much appreciate that information, Putterdude...that will help us tremendously! :)

PD - that's because I live on Hornby and was on my way to my gym for a workout before heading to be a scrutineer at the Roundhouse.

Tough loss for the Canucks last night.

When do you head our for your cruise - this weekend or next?

Cheers

Dennis