Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

for a couple of nights prior to the 6/7 b2b on the Statendam. Did a search on this thread and found that someone asked about the hotel several months ago but got no reply. Thought I would ask again if anyone had a review or opinion about it.

A little house keeping to keep us on our toes.;)

Here is a post that I made last July on this thread:

"I have driven by it but have not been in. It is a boutique hotel with a condos adjoining, it is as you have said it is very new, but in a good safe downtown location. You will be able to walk to Gastown, Yaletown, Pacfic Centre, the shops on Robson, lots of restaurants around. You may find it a little bit of a hike to Stanley Park but you can take a bus either way on Georgia St. A good choice.:) "

To this I would add you can walk over to BC Place Stadium where the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics will be held and GM Place where a lot of the olympic hockey will be played including the Gold Medal game the will include Canada and whoever will win the silver medal.;)

I am sorry I haven't stayed in it myself nor do I know anyone who has. Other botique hotels in the city that I am more familiar with would include the Wedgewood and Le Soleil:

http://www.wedgewoodhotel.com/index.php

http://www.lesoleilhotel.com/

Aha....corner of Richards and Robson. We are just a couple blocks away. If memory serves me its near the entertainment district. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

No, Richards is a full 2 blocks east of the Entertainment District and the rowdies.

However I will serve you with notice right now....the Vancouver Canucks are about about to start round 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and should the Canucks play into June, you can expect Robson to be a bit noisy post game....in fact you may find Ut and myself under your hotel room window with beers in hand.;)

I'll be happy to post a review of L'Hermitage post-stay. I'll root for the Canucks to stay alive until June as our Coyotes have disappointed again. Guess 'The Great One's' magic doesn't extend to the other side of the Boards.

I looked at the interactive map and found the right intersection- on another thread someone suggested Hon's as a good Dim-Sum experience. Any other close to the Hotel? the entire CC site has been a great help in planning our pre-cruise visit- thank all of you again.

I'll be happy to post a review of L'Hermitage post-stay. I'll root for the Canucks to stay alive until June as our Coyotes have disappointed again. Guess 'The Great One's' magic doesn't extend to the other side of the Boards.

I looked at the interactive map and found the right intersection- on another thread someone suggested Hon's as a good Dim-Sum experience. Any other close to the Hotel? the entire CC site has been a great help in planning our pre-cruise visit- thank all of you again.

We will look forward to your review. While in AZ for the winter I do become a "closet" Coyotes fan as well as a Card's fan.

For pub fare there is Rosies on Robson, very close to you. There is both a WhiteSpot and a Moxies for breakfast or lunch on W. Georgia just 2 blocks from you and if you want something really special there is the William Tell in the Georgian Court on Beatty St. And if you really want to get into some pre or post Canuck game action there is the Shark Club which is next to Moxies.

http://www.thewmtell.com/

Edited by Putterdude

Hopefully Anaheim will dispatch the Sharks tonight and then we will know our opponent in the next round - the winner of Calgary/Chicago - this waiting for the Canucks to get going again isn't helping my stress but at least I have booked another cruise so I can keep myself busy on that and I have a couple of days of work coming up on the provincial election for elections BC.

Cheers

Dennis

The answer to a maiden's prayer to be sure.;) Thought we were going to book a cruise on the weekend to AK but our TA said it was too expensive right now so we are in a holding pattern. I am still getting the house and yard back in shape, have told the "Ls" I will do some work for them starting next week...so far all that I know I am doing is scrutinizing up at Pender for the day.

I will scrutineer for the L's - they have a great candidate here in Vancouver False Creek - at the advance poll but that is all that I will doing as I decided to retire from active political campaigning a few years ago.

Does you candidate have any chance at an upset.

Cheers

Dennis

Hard to say, the guy up here has read Swend Robinson's book "Promise Them Anything When You Are Not in Gov't". The riding includes Powell River and you know how they vote. But traditionally this has been SoCred and L. riding. The L. lady is a bit of a "no name" so she has her work cut out for her.

Perhaps if I had read this thread before reserving our room, I'd had made different arrangements, but...

We'll leave our cruise on a Monday morning and spend the day in Vancouver before leaving for the airport the next morning. We're staying at Best Western Chateau Granville and I expect we'll take a cab from the pier and store our luggage at the hotel since it will be much too early to check-in. I want to use one of the HOHOs to tour Vancouver and especially want to spend time at Stanley Park, Granville Island Vancouver Lookout and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden. Maybe Grouse Mt for sunset.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to best accomplish this since the time is so short. For example, I've read Granville is best in the morning (not so crowded) but also that it's best in the afternoon. Any other advice?

Many thanks!

Are the tickets for the hoho bus and trolley good for two days hours? Do you think that the hoho is worth the price? Also, when do the shuttle buses in Stanley Park operate year round?

thanks

The Vancouver Trolley tickets are good for two consecutive calendar days. The Stanley Park Shuttle has been discontinued for budget reasons. I do not believe it ever ran year around, only mid June to sometime in August or September.

Yes and we would be delighted go have you stay.:)

Thanks:)...do you have any idea about other transportation from

Vancouver back to Seattle? I don't want to rent a car and would

like to get to Seatac much earlier in the day.

Are there other ways? Buses? Ferries?

I would like to fly home that night..there are a lot of cheap

red-eyes but I don't feel comfortable enough to book an 11:00pm

flight with the train getting in so late...you just never know:rolleyes:

Help please:)

Thanks:)...do you have any idea about other transportation from

Vancouver back to Seattle? I don't want to rent a car and would

like to get to Seatac much earlier in the day.

Are there other ways? Buses? Ferries?

I would like to fly home that night..there are a lot of cheap

red-eyes but I don't feel comfortable enough to book an 11:00pm

flight with the train getting in so late...you just never know:rolleyes:

Help please:)

I found Quick Coach.....I will give them a call tomorrow:)

Hello, another quick question...

I have been reading there are some areas to avoid in Vancouver - I know all cities have them especially since I live close to Toronto ...

I am staying on robson and just want some heads up of the area I should avoid as I am travelling with older parents....

plus how far from robson to Canada Place --- is it wise to walk or is cab a better method ? also okay a second question does BC run like Ontario as regards to liquor stores and would there be one close to robson so I could buy a nice bottle of wine?

I can't wait I am so excited to see Vancouver before my cruise ...

thanks again

I did read in a post a long while back that the hoho are not good for your morning to port as luggage would be a problem. We thought we might use the second day on the ticket to go to Canada Place, but it wasn't recommended...we'll be calling a cab from our location on Robson.

Hello, another quick question...

I have been reading there are some areas to avoid in Vancouver - I know all cities have them especially since I live close to Toronto ...

I am staying on robson and just want some heads up of the area I should avoid as I am travelling with older parents....

plus how far from robson to Canada Place --- is it wise to walk or is cab a better method ? also okay a second question does BC run like Ontario as regards to liquor stores and would there be one close to robson so I could buy a nice bottle of wine?

I can't wait I am so excited to see Vancouver before my cruise ...

thanks again

Yes, Vancouver has its not-so-nice area. It covers from the eastern end of Gastown to just past Main and from the Waterfront to about Terminal Ave.

Robson Street is a high end shopping area w/restaurants several blocks away from the seedy area. It's a nice area to wander around. Robson is not far from Canada Place. However, since you are travelling with older parents, I would recommend taking a cab to Canada Place rather then walking. Although it is slightly downhill.

There is a gov't run liquor store on Alberni one block North of Robson Street between Bute and Thurlow. The Sutton Place Hotel also has a wine merchant store. They are located at Smythe and Burrard, just south of Robson Street.

Enjoy your stay. I think spring has finally arrived.

Perhaps if I had read this thread before reserving our room, I'd had made different arrangements, but...

We'll leave our cruise on a Monday morning and spend the day in Vancouver before leaving for the airport the next morning. We're staying at Best Western Chateau Granville and I expect we'll take a cab from the pier and store our luggage at the hotel since it will be much too early to check-in. I want to use one of the HOHOs to tour Vancouver and especially want to spend time at Stanley Park, Granville Island Vancouver Lookout and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden. Maybe Grouse Mt for sunset.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to best accomplish this since the time is so short. For example, I've read Granville is best in the morning (not so crowded) but also that it's best in the afternoon. Any other advice?

Many thanks!

At $30 plus dollars the HOHO's are expensive but they are are a good way to see the city in a hurry. They will take you to everything you want to see except Grouse Mtn. I have been to Granville Island at all times and I really don't think there a better time but the would probably stay away on a Sat. and Sun. afternoon....that's when it is really busy and parking is at a premium. An alternative to the HOHO's is to use transit and you can purchase an all day pass at one of the Convenience stores on Granville for $9.00 CDN pp. Here is a link to Translink's route planner:

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}