Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

First cruise ship of the season makes a visit today and I will be down at Canada Place to check it out - the Fred Olsen Cruise Line "Balmoral" is making a stop here and then on Sunday the HAL Amsterdam is coming in but you might want to stay clear of it as Cruise Junkie is reporting an outbreak of the you know what has occurred.

Seems so strange not having to rush to the bar for the cheap beer to see the Canucks play for another week but the fever is still strong - last night as I was bike riding through Stanley Park there was two guys roller blading along the seawall with their hockey sticks and attached large Canucks flag and they didn't even have to wave it that much as a strong wind did the job for them - by the time they got to English Bay the cars were honking their horns and people were cheering.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the candid info. have booked the HIExpress on Hastings. Had looked at some B&B but were away from downtown and would require cabs for everything we did. I got an Entertainment book and will only use 1 or 2 coupons, can I leave it for you guys? It has about 30 some golf coupons.

Thanks for the offer but I am not a golfer - usually when I go golfing they need to close the course down and re-sod the turf - when I was trying to play some pick up hockey my fellow more skilled teammates use to say that my slap shot use to look like a golf tee shot and my golf buddies use to say that my tee shots looked like a hockey slap shot.

I don't want the Dick Cheney/Bill Murray I can't shoot straight award.

Over to you PD

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the candid info. have booked the HIExpress on Hastings. Had looked at some B&B but were away from downtown and would require cabs for everything we did. I got an Entertainment book and will only use 1 or 2 coupons, can I leave it for you guys? It has about 30 some golf coupons.

Thanks for your offer, but I now live a bit out of the city and belong to a golf club so I would probably get little use out of it but Ut might appreciate it.:)

Have a great cruise.

Seems so strange not having to rush to the bar for the cheap beer to see the Canucks play for another week but the fever is still strong - last night as I was bike riding through Stanley Park there was two guys roller blading along the seawall with their hockey sticks and attached large Canucks flag and they didn't even have to wave it that much as a strong wind did the job for them - by the time they got to English Bay the cars were honking their horns and people were cheering.

Cheers

Dennis

I know what you mean, last night I was thinking how I was suffering from hockey withdrawl myself.:D

putterdude.....thanks so much for the info on Accent Inn on Bridgeport. I just booked there and will leave my car there for only $157 plus tax Canadian for the May 15 cruise on Coral Princess. We got such a good last minute deal that we are doing a b2b. I thought that there was parking at the pier years ago when we went to Alaska but maybe a differt pier.

see you on board.

Is there a reasonably priced drugstore near the St. Regis (602 Dunsmuir)? I need to pick up some Drixoral allergy medicine, which hasn't been available down here in the states for almost two years, but seems to be available in Canada when I check online drugstores (at a huge markup).

Putterdude.......or anyone really;)

I have sailed out of Vancouver before but it was the last

one of the season and so it ended in Seattle.

Now, I am thinking of a regular one in the summer so its

Vancouver roundtrip.

I took the train from Seattle up to VAN last time and it was

wonderful:)

I know the train goes south as well but I am wondering

about the timing....going north it leaves SEA early in the morning

so you get to Canada mid morning.

Is there 1 train going south? Does anyone know what time

it leaves Vancouver?

The cruise would be Sunday to Sunday and trying to figure

out logistics for getting back home east......

Flights from Seattle to FLorida, etc.....

I know I can count on you friendly Canucks for good

information:D

UT didn't know whether you golfed or not but knew PD did but there are many other coupons-restaurants and the like. If you aren't interested then I probably won't drag it along.

What coupons are you using? I might give you something for it depending on what you're using. I know they are cheap right now, but I would need 2 books and only would use 1 or 2 myself so didn't want to spend the money. Do you know, can you just tear out the coupons or do you have to take the whole book? email me at campingdream at hotmail dot com if you're interested.

Is there a reasonably priced drugstore near the St. Regis (602 Dunsmuir)? I need to pick up some Drixoral allergy medicine, which hasn't been available down here in the states for almost two years, but seems to be available in Canada when I check online drugstores (at a huge markup).

Your best bet is London Drugs in the Scotia Bank Centre, just 2 blocks away at Georgia & Granville...they tend to be the price leader in Western Canada. There is also a Shoppers Drugmart at 586 Granville but they tend to be more expensive than London Drugs... they are about equal distance from the St. Regis.

Putterdude.......or anyone really;)

I have sailed out of Vancouver before but it was the last

one of the season and so it ended in Seattle.

Now, I am thinking of a regular one in the summer so its

Vancouver roundtrip.

I took the train from Seattle up to VAN last time and it was

wonderful:)

I know the train goes south as well but I am wondering

about the timing....going north it leaves SEA early in the morning

so you get to Canada mid morning.

Is there 1 train going south? Does anyone know what time

it leaves Vancouver?

The cruise would be Sunday to Sunday and trying to figure

out logistics for getting back home east......

Flights from Seattle to FLorida, etc.....

I know I can count on you friendly Canucks for good

information:D

There is only the one trainin both directions each day. The southbound train leaves Vancouver art 5:45 pm and gets into Seattle at 10:05 pm. Here is a link to the Amtrak sked:

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/FareFinder?_tripType=OneWay&_origin=Vancouver%2C+BC+%28VAC%29&_depmonthyear=2009-05&_depday=24&_dephourmin=&_destination=Seattle%2C+WA+%28SEA%29&_retmonthyear=&_retday=&_rethourmin=&_adults=1&_children=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=33&y=7

putterdude.....thanks so much for the info on Accent Inn on Bridgeport. I just booked there and will leave my car there for only $157 plus tax Canadian for the May 15 cruise on Coral Princess. We got such a good last minute deal that we are doing a b2b. I thought that there was parking at the pier years ago when we went to Alaska but maybe a differt pier.

see you on board.

Glad it worked for you, I think I've sold several rooms for them last night and today....guess I better phone them and check on my commission.;)

There is parking at or close to both piers but it costs $18 to $20 per day so in your case the room is free. Enjoy yourself and waive to me as you sail by my front door in Sechelt, about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge on the starboard side...I be watching for you.:)

There's is a Shopper's Drug Mart basically across the street from the St Regis - they are the largest Drug Store chain in Canada and there is also a London Drugs - our locally based 70 store chain a block away.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

ohhh....so one would have to stay in Vancouver for the whole

day....thanks for the link:)

What coupons are you using? I might give you something for it depending on what you're using. I know they are cheap right now' date=' but I would need 2 books and only would use 1 or 2 myself so didn't want to spend the money. Do you know, can you just tear out the coupons or do you have to take the whole book? email me at campingdream at hotmail dot com if you're interested.[/quote']

Yes, you can tear out the coupons.

The St Regis is located at the corner of Dunsmuir and Seymour. One block west is Granville Street. On the corner of Granville and Dunsmuir is a Shoppers' Drug Mart.

One block south of Dunsmuir is Georgia. As mentioned above, Granville is one block west. At the corner of Georgia and Granville there is a London Drugs. It is similar to Shoppers' Drug Mart but London Drugs' prices tend to be a little lower.

The first cruise ship of the season arrived in Vancouver - the Fred Olsen "Balmoral" - formerly the Norwegian Crown.

Follow this link to some pictures of it berthed at Canada Place.

http://yvrcruiser.blogspot.com/2009/04/start-of-vancouver-2009-cruise-season.html

Cheers

Dennis

Hello,

Skimmed around trying to get info on the NCL terminal itself. Didn't find it so am posting...

NCL says they use Canada Place terminal and Ballantyne. Are theses off the beaten path? Can you check in luggage and have things in walking distance in the event you can't get on ship but your there early? Nice place or is it a glorified bus stop??? We're going on our first cruise 5/2. Our kids are dropping us off. We're driving from Seattle area. Don't know what to expect. Is there a spot for them to drop us off, and we can roll the luggage on in? Is it a bit of a walk? Should they park and then help us get everything to the terminal??

What would you suggest.

Thanks

Almost all regular NCL cruises will berth on the west side of Canada Place - a few of the early or late season repos may have to use Ballantyne Pier but that is a rarity.

You can compare Canada Place to Pier 66 in Seattle - both are located in the heart of the downtown core and with Canada Place you can drive right down into the terminal to drop off people and luggage - if you have to use Ballantyne Pier you can drive pretty well right up to the front door but there are no services or things to do there - it is in the industrial area of the port not unlike the old Pier 30? in Seattle.

I was going to post the cruise schedule for Vancouver but the web site is acting up again but if you are cruising on the NCL Sun you will be at Canada Place.

Here's the link but be prepared it may not be working:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

From Canada Place there is a walkway or promenade all the way to Stanley Park and you are also only a couple of blocks from Gastown - the historic start of Vancouver - not that different from Pioneer Square in Seattle.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

for a couple of nights prior to the 6/7 b2b on the Statendam. Did a search on this thread and found that someone asked about the hotel several months ago but got no reply. Thought I would ask again if anyone had a review or opinion about it.

Mestcat, the hotel is on Richards. You can see the streets really well from this interactive map. Be sure to scroll down and click the explore tab so you can see streets and buildings labeled.

http://www.vancouver.com/city_tour/

Here is the link for the hotel, but you probably already have that. http://www.lhermitagevancouver.com/

It sure looks nice. Maybe Putterdude will tell you more about the hotel itself.

Also, this might help because the web site gives the street number.

In the downtown core the numbers rise as you move from east to west and from north to south. Its a 700 number so probably closer to the Stanley Park side of the city. The hotel doesnt show when you click buildings. Still fun to look at the map.

Jayne