Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

The two piers are about a short mile apart. Ballantyne Peir is in an industrial area which is rather seedy and we do not recommmend that people walk to it. You cartainly can walk it if you want and if you have dropped of your luggage first, you will not incur physical harm, it is just that it is not a great neighborhood to walk thru.

Thanks for the info. I talked to my TA and found out the RCCL has been changing piers with little to no notice this season. She initially was told Canada Place for our 7/4 cruise, but we will found out the current pier when we get cruise docs next week.

Regardless, if we end up at Ballentyne, then I'm told we can easily get a cab from the Alamo agency at Canada Place to Ballentyne, and back after the cruise. I'm sure I will do this rather than walk. Sounds like I could walk if our ship is at Canada Place.

Again, thanks.

We will only be in Vancouver for 2 days after our cruise returns end of June. It seems getting the the Buchart garnes is just too far and too much time. So we thinking about going to a few of the Olympic sites. Is that worthwhile? Whistler I think is the place. IDEAS?

Intersting about RCCL changing terminals. They have been at Ballentyne for years! Certainly I can see on the webcam that the Millenium is over there today. I think maybe sometimes on the first run of the year RCC or CEl may get in at Canada Place but other wise they are always over at Ballentyne,

Thanks for the info. I talked to my TA and found out the RCCL has been changing piers with little to no notice this season. She initially was told Canada Place for our 7/4 cruise, but we will found out the current pier when we get cruise docs next week.

Regardless, if we end up at Ballentyne, then I'm told we can easily get a cab from the Alamo agency at Canada Place to Ballentyne, and back after the cruise. I'm sure I will do this rather than walk. Sounds like I could walk if our ship is at Canada Place.

Again, thanks.

You are most welcome. Yes you could walk if your ship was using Canada Place. I really don't think that RCL has been changing piers, sometimes in May and October when ship are repositioning there can be some changes but otherwise they tend to stick at one terminal for the season. I also would be very surprised if Alamo didn't suttle you to Ballantyne once you have turned in your car. Enjoy your cruise.

There is also a Whole Foods in Park Royal Village in West Vancouver, which may just be a bit closer to the West End. Walkable if you have all day but seriously an easy Bus Ride, as all West Vancouver Busses stop at Park Royal, and they have a few stops along West Georgia St. in Vancouver proper.

Thanks, we have a car so we can check it out.

Regarding alcohol - it seems so easy to grab one here in California...anywhere from 7-eleven or a drugstore to supermarkets. I never knew it's less accessible in Canada! Should be less DUI drivers there than here then? :cool:

Edited by sooper

I have yet another restaurant question!!

How does Granville Island Brewing stack up vs Dockside (on granville Is), Boathoude on English bay, or Steamworks!!

all opinions welcome

no-whiners

I like all of them, but if I had to choose one I'd go for the Boathouse, and try to get a table on the rooftop patio just before sunset.

"I'd like to pick up an Olympic souvenir or two"

You are only about 3 - 4 blocks from the downtown Hudson's Bay store - it's part of the larger Pacific Center shopping complex.

Cheers

Dennis

Posting from poolside Kelowna BC - some of the confusion regarding RCCL might be that RCL usually uses Ballantyne but there other line Celebrity generally uses Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

I seldom disagree with this old sage (it's writtten in our contract) but Celebrity did use Canada Place for the Mercury in 2007 but their other ship either the Millie or the Inifinity that season used Ballantyne. However since then, except for the occasional shoulder season itinerary, all Celebrity activity has been out of Ballantyne.

If we drop off our luggage after arriving via Amtrak, is there somewhere around Canada Place we can walk around a little bit? I'd like to pick up an Olympic souvenir or two.

Jump on Skytrain across the street from the Amtrak station, get off Granville Station which is in the basement of the Bay and start shopping.

I like all of them, but if I had to choose one I'd go for the Boathouse, and try to get a table on the rooftop patio just before sunset.

Of the three, my fave for dinner is the Boathouse as you get a great view over English Bay, you get to enjoy the whole street scene, if you stay long enough a wonderful sunset and the food is very good.....that is not to say the food at the other restaurants is not good.:)

:)

Intersting about RCCL changing terminals. They have been at Ballentyne for years! Certainly I can see on the webcam that the Millenium is over there today. I think maybe sometimes on the first run of the year RCC or CEl may get in at Canada Place but other wise they are always over at Ballentyne,

She sailed by us last night very slowly and in very close as she rounded the Trail Islands in fron of us you almost felt you could reach out and touch her; they were obvioulsy waiting for the tide in Seymour Narrows. Even though we are getting smoke from a forest fire some hundred miles east of us we could make out every detail of her....she looked good.

We will only be in Vancouver for 2 days after our cruise returns end of June. It seems getting the the Buchart garnes is just too far and too much time. So we thinking about going to a few of the Olympic sites. Is that worthwhile? Whistler I think is the place. IDEAS?

Downtown venues include BC Place Stadium where the opening and closing ceremonies will be held, GM Place or as we call it the "Garage" where a lot of the hockey will be played, and the new convention centre down by Canada Place which will be the media center. There is the Speed Skating on in Richmond, the Pacific Coliseum on E. Hastings in East Vancouver and the Thunderbird Ice facility out at UBC. On the way to Whistler you will pass Cypress Mtn where the freestyle and snowboarding events will be held and up at Whistler all of the other ski and sled events will be held.

Yes Whistler is an easy two hour drive in either direction and the views from West Vancouver to Squamish as you drive along Howe Sound are really spectacular. Whistler itself will take your breath a way..enjoy.:)

"I seldom disagree with this old sage"

Who are you calling old - having a good time in Kelowna - did a couple of short but challenging hikes which I will get up on the blog eventually - looks like we are getting ready for a thunderstorm or two this evening.

The hotel were are staying at the Pandosy Inn has a couple of bbq's that are available for guests to use so my gourmet cook friend is heading to Save On Foods who have a store a block away to get all the ingredients for a dinner by propane.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Hi Putter: You have provided many great answers to questions regarding Vancouver. I will be coming into Vancouver late am, transfer to hotel, overnight then to cruiseship about 3pm next day. I have noticed there is an Entertainment Book available for Vancouver, especially for trolley, Capillano Park, Chinese Garden, etc. Would you happen to know whether these coupons would be accepted on July 30 to 31st before cruise? Cant get details without buying book. Thanks so much,

Hi Putter: You have provided many great answers to questions regarding Vancouver. I will be coming into Vancouver late am, transfer to hotel, overnight then to cruiseship about 3pm next day. I have noticed there is an Entertainment Book available for Vancouver, especially for trolley, Capillano Park, Chinese Garden, etc. Would you happen to know whether these coupons would be accepted on July 30 to 31st before cruise? Cant get details without buying book. Thanks so much,

The trolley coupon is not good in July and August, but the others are.

Here is a link to the Entertainment Book, as the OP has pointed out the coupon for the Trolley is not valid for the months of July and August but to my knowldge most others are. If you only use it for lunch and dinner it has paid for itself.

http://www.entertainment-savings-offers.com/vancouver/book/

Maple syrup is more of an eastern Canadian item but it is available at the Sears store in downtown Vancouver.

Ice wine would be a good choice but I am not sure if it is available all year round - probably the best liquor outlet for it would be the government store at Thurlow and Alberni - one block off Robson as they have a specialty wine department

You might want to try: http://www.bcliquorstores.com for further information. Just checked thier web site and that outlet has ice wine - only one in the downtown core.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

I agree with Ut, I find ice wines very sweet and seldom drink them. You will find the associates at liquor stores very helpful though. To add to the list you may want to replace the maple syrup with smoked salmon which you can find packed it cedar boxes often with native indian motifs on them and the salmon itself is packed crayovac packages. Some fish processors put together boxes canned seafood. Perhaps a small native indian carving like a small talking stick or flat panel carving. Of course this year the 2010 Olympic products are the thing.

The Hudsons Bay and their sub., Zellers, are the "official" stores but you will find licensed merchandise broadly available throughout the city. The Bay has their main department store downtown at Georgia and Granville which is about 6 blocks from Canada Place.