Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

There are so many pages to read so I apologize if you've answered this question previously. We will be arriving in Vancouver on Amtrak from Seattle.

How far is the port? I am assuming that that a taxi is how we will need to get to the boat. Would you have any idea (or would anyone else) on what the cost might be from the train station to the boat?

You have to read all of the pages as we ask questions latter.;)

If your ship is using Ballantyne Pier your only option is to use a cab as the pier is in rather a seedy industrial area and there is not transit available....your cost will be a little less than $10.

If you are embarking at Canada Place then you have the cab option and it will cost you about $10/$12. Or if you can handle your luggage on your own then you have the option of taking SkyTrain which is our ELS. The Main St. station for SkyTrain is across the street from the Amtrak terminal and you take the car to Waterfront Station which is about 100 paces east of Canada Place. The fare is $2.50 CDN pp. You can use a US credit card and many debit cards for your fare or you can get some CDN funds at an ATM that is located in the train station or there a branch of VanCity credit union at the base of the Main St. station.

A note on Vancouver's cabs, most have been downsized to compacts and will only handle 2 to 3 pax with luggage however there are a few mini-van cabs that will handle 4 pax easily....but you do have to request one.

If you can handle your own luggage and can self-disembark you should be ok otherwise it will be a real crap-shoot. However on that morning Quick Coach will have a number of buses there picking up pax so if you did miss that one they will almost be shuttling out of Canada Place as quickly as the buses fill up. Be sue and adivse the Pax Service desk on the ship of your plans.

Are jeans and a polo style shirt OK in restaurants? Would I be better off wearing dockers?

I'm going on a cruisetour and I'm packing a tux. It looks like I may not need anything in between a tux and jeans.

My ship is the Coral Princess, (Monday 7/13). What is a good time to get to the ship? Sounds like the lines at the ship are long. I think I'd rather get on the ship early rather then late. Is 10a too early?

Are jeans and a polo style shirt OK in restaurants? Would I be better off wearing dockers?

I'm going on a cruisetour and I'm packing a tux. It looks like I may not need anything in between a tux and jeans.

My ship is the Coral Princess, (Monday 7/13). What is a good time to get to the ship? Sounds like the lines at the ship are long. I think I'd rather get on the ship early rather then late. Is 10a too early?

Polo shirt and decent jeans will be okay in pretty much all except fine dining restaurants.

10 a.m. will be too early to board. The earliest is usually around 11:30-ish.

Glad to hear about the tux, I am a tux or dinner jacket man myself. You certainly won't have a problem with "dress jeans" in most casual restaurants. However just to be a tad off topic you may feel a little underdressed with jeans in the sit down dining venues on the Coral....I would suggest than most men wear Docker type slacks on casual evenings. As for arrival time at the pier, if you want to do some sightseeing, I am sure that the porters (with a tip of course) will accept your luggage around 10am and certainly by 10:30. Otherwise 11:30 is the earliest you likely want to arrive at the pier and even at that you will have a wait. Here is link to a thread started by a lady who works for Princess at Canada Place and she describes the best time to arrive.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1000975

Hi

We will be in Vancouver the weekend 25th, 26th and 27th Sept 09, before our cruis and would like to know if there areany sporting fixtures that weekend. We are from the uk and love all types of sport.

regards

claridge

Hi

We will be in Vancouver the weekend 25th, 26th and 27th Sept 09, before our cruis and would like to know if there areany sporting fixtures that weekend. We are from the uk and love all types of sport.

regards

claridge

Unfortunately that seems to be a quiet weekend for sport.The season will be over for the Whitecaps our professional soccer team. That could change if they are in an extended playoff run.

The professional Canadian football team, the BC Lions, is away that weekend.

The Vancouver Canucks hockey season won't have started officially yet but there may be an exhibition game. The schedule hasn't been finalized yet.

Perhaps you can go golfing with Putterdude.

Hi

I would keep an eye on http://whitecapsfc.com/ to see if the local soccer (real football) team is playing in a playoffs, but it's a little late in the year, there main season ends on the 18th. For the local hockey teams (both Jr and Pro), that's just before the main season starts, so there may be a pre-season game. As someone else pointed out the football (as in US style football) team is away that weekend, so it sounds like a pretty quiet time.

You folks are great. Based on advice I got on this board, I bid thru priceline and got the PanPacific for $100 !! We are so excited. I've never used the bid approach before and very much appreciate the help. I had previously booked another hotel that I wasn't thrilled about based on availability at $150. Thanks again. Local help really helps.

Hi

regards

claridge

We have a junior hockey team in Vancouver called the Vancouver Giants. I think their season might start around the time of your visit. At the end of Aug, early Sept you can check their website to see if they are playing at home that weekend. They play at the Pacific Coliseum which you should be able to grab a bus going down Hastings Street to get there. Check their website at www.vancouvergiants.com

Hope you enjoy your visit to Vancouver.

Cue some CFL fanatic to point out the vast differences between Canadian and American football. :D

Yes,

the US game of football doesn't really use the feet, whereas the Canadian version doesn't really use the feet.

3 instead of 4 downs, longer and wider field, more players on the field, backfield can move before ball is snapped, all in all a better game. Major League without mega hype. Then of course there is the Grand National drunk AKA the Grey Cup Game, which is the Championship game of the CFL. The end result on the field is irrelevant, the parties leading up to it can be magnificent!:D

3 instead of 4 downs, longer and wider field, more players on the field, backfield can move before ball is snapped, all in all a better game. Major League without mega hype. Then of course there is the Grand National drunk AKA the Grey Cup Game, which is the Championship game of the CFL. The end result on the field is irrelevant, the parties leading up to it can be magnificent!:D

Now if you can only explain the rouge to the American football fans in the audience I think that should cover it.

Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and Joe Thiesman all played in the CFL - mostly early in their careers. Damon Allen - Marcus' brother was a long time CFL quarterback.

No fair catches and must give 5 yards to the punt reciever to make the catch.

No sudden death overtime in regular season - both teams get a chance to score similiar to what is used in College Ball

Cheers

Dennis

We are arriving July 25 at 4:11, was wondering about taking the public bus to downtown Vancouver to motel. Was wondering about the exact change, coins only or just correct amount and will luggage be a problem on bus? Also where do you catch bus at airport? thanks

You folks are great. Based on advice I got on this board, I bid thru priceline and got the PanPacific for $100 !! We are so excited. I've never used the bid approach before and very much appreciate the help. I had previously booked another hotel that I wasn't thrilled about based on availability at $150. Thanks again. Local help really helps.

Wow, that is very good. How did you do it? TIA

dallas 52

You will need exact coin fare for the Translink (public) bus. On weekends the fare is $2.50. You can catch a bus on level one (arrival level) of the airport. You might have to transfer to another bus at the Airport Station, the bus exchange just a few minutes from the airport.

As I don't know which area of Vancouver you want to go to, I can't tell you which bus you'd take from the Airport Station exchange. You can check out the Translink bus system at http://www.translink.ca.

I've taken the bus with one piece of luggage and a carry on bag without any problem.

If you were coming a few weeks later you could take the new rapid transit Skytrain service, from the airport to downtown at Canada Place. I believe it's due to open around Labour Day.

We are arriving July 25 at 4:11, was wondering about taking the public bus to downtown Vancouver to motel. Was wondering about the exact change, coins only or just correct amount and will luggage be a problem on bus? Also where do you catch bus at airport? thanks

Yes, you take the bus to the 'airport exchange' then board the 98 B-Line to downtown. http://translink.bc.ca/ has a trip planner, pop in "YVR" and "Downtown" and you'll get the info you need. Cost is $3.75 (2.50 weekends/evenings). You'll need Cdn coin (or US coin taken at part).

Your other option is the 'airporter' bus which is $13.50 to downtown, but somewhat faster and a little more set up for luggage.

Our family will be arriving at the Vancouver airport. We will need a taxi for 4 with 5 pieces of luggage. Do I need to reserve a taxi for transportation to hotel? Also, how long will it take us to get luggage and go through customs? And, can you give me a general idea of the cost.

Thanks.