Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Dallas52 - are you aware that our annual fireworks competition is on during your visit - this is an event that draws 200,000+ people to the downtown core and more in the surrounding area.

Here's a link to the website advertising the event.

http://celebration-of-light.com/

Depending on where you are staying you might not need to go to far to see the fireworks.

Cheers

Dennis

dallas 52

You will need exact coin fare for the Translink (public) bus. On weekends the fare is $2.50. You can catch a bus on level one (arrival level) of the airport. You might have to transfer to another bus at the Airport Station, the bus exchange just a few minutes from the airport.

As I don't know which area of Vancouver you want to go to, I can't tell you which bus you'd take from the Airport Station exchange. You can check out the Translink bus system at www.translink.ca.

I've taken the bus with one piece of luggage and a carry on bag without any problem.

If you were coming a few weeks later you could take the new rapid transit Skytrain service, from the airport to downtown at Canada Place. I believe it's due to open around Labour Day.

Am I correct in thinking that Labour Day in Canada is always the first Monday in September?

Dallas52 - are you aware that our annual fireworks competition is on during your visit - this is an event that draws 200,000+ people to the downtown core and more in the surrounding area.

Here's a link to the website advertising the event.

Depending on where you are staying you might not need to go to far to see the fireworks.

Cheers

Dennis

No i wasnt. thanks for the info. We will only be there for that Sat. night and board the NCL Sun that Sunday morning, will arrive in Vancouver that Sat. around 4PM and go to our motel on Granville Street. Will have made a day of traveling since we will have left Charlotte, NC around 7AM. Dont think we will be seeing much of Vancouver but may watch the fireworks, we would love to go to Stanley Park if at possible. There will be 6 of us so a cab is out of the question. That the reason i thought about public bus. thanks for the info.

quote:

Yes, you take the bus to the 'airport exchange' then board the 98 B-Line to downtown. http://translink.bc.ca/ has a trip planner, pop in "YVR" and "Downtown" and you'll get the info you need. Cost is $3.75 (2.50 weekends/evenings). You'll need Cdn coin (or US coin taken at part).

From the links we have to take the 424 and then the 098 to Granville St. if im reading it right. Do i need Cdn coins or can i use US quarters? thanks roy

Our family will be arriving at the Vancouver airport. We will need a taxi for 4 with 5 pieces of luggage. Do I need to reserve a taxi for transportation to hotel? Also, how long will it take us to get luggage and go through customs? And, can you give me a general idea of the cost. Thanks.
If you want to take a taxi from the airport to downtown, it will cot you about $40 --- no need to reserve as there are usually a few waiting curb side. Since there are 4 of you with 5 pieces of luggage, you will have to get a minivan cab since you will not fit in the typical compact to mid-size cab. Alternatively, you may want to consider a limo - for $39 + tax, I think this is better value than a taxi. Info on limo: http://www.yvr.ca/guide/toandfrom/limos.asp

As for how long it will take to you to go through customs and get your luggage, it really varies on time of day, etc. It has taken me as little as 10-15 minutes and as long as 1 hr. On average, I would say budget for about 1/2 hr.

From the links we have to take the 424 and then the 098 to Granville St. if im reading it right. Do i need Cdn coins or can i use US quarters? thanks roy

You can use US quarters, but they will be taken at par by the bus driver. I don't think any of the ticket machines will accept US quarters. Edited by orchid72
hyperlink

we are arriving on Sep20 for the Sep21 pearl departure. I did see where the canada line is supposed to be up and running around labour day...is this looking like a pretty actual time frame? will I be able to plan on using that as my transportation to town (we're staying at sutton place hotel, which seems to be only a couple of blocks from one of the downtown stops). Or, should I just plan on usint the Airporter shuttle?

Thanks for your help

we are arriving on Sep20 for the Sep21 pearl departure. I did see where the canada line is supposed to be up and running around labour day...is this looking like a pretty actual time frame? will I be able to plan on using that as my transportation to town (we're staying at sutton place hotel, which seems to be only a couple of blocks from one of the downtown stops). Or, should I just plan on usint the Airporter shuttle?

Thanks for your help

Since you are arriving on a Sunday, Canada Line traffic won't be clogged with daily commuters. You would be getting off at the City Center stop which is only a couple of blocks (level) from the Sutton Hotel. Price for a ride from the airport to DT will be approximate $5.00 one way per person.

The Airporter cost $14 one way per person and you would be dropped at the door.

Since the Canada Line is not yet operational, it's hard to tell how well it is going to work for those coming from the Airport. I have heard the trains will be setup more for luggage with less seating. If the possibility of standing for the 25-30 minute ride downtown is a problem, I'd consider the Airporter. Also, the Canada Line travels below ground for the majority of the trip DT once it leaves Richmond.

If you want to see a little bit of the city you are traveling through, I'd go with the Airporter.

" I did see where the canada line is supposed to be up and running around labour day...is this looking like a pretty actual time frame?"

Yes - it will be no later than Labour Day Sept 7, 2009 - it is already three months AHEAD of schedule and they are test running the trains - in fact if some of the downtown stations were finished they could probably start the service now.

Here's a link to Translink web site and the Canada Line Page:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line.aspx

Hope this helps and that is also answers some of your questions - otherwise ScottBee who is at the Airport should be able to answer your questions.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our great City and have a great Coastal repo cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

" I did see where the canada line is supposed to be up and running around labour day...is this looking like a pretty actual time frame?"

Yes - it will be no later than Labour Day Sept 7, 2009 - it is already three months AHEAD of schedule and they are test running the trains - in fact if some of the downtown stations were finished they could probably start the service now.

There's speculation that it could be in service as soon as the BC Day long weekend (first Monday in August). I guess if they wanted a stress test the final night of the Celebration of Light fireworks that Saturday would serve the purpose.

Thanks for your help

Take the Canada Line. It will be in operation by that date, and Sep 20 is a Saturday so it won't be full. As you're starting at YVR, you'll pretty much be guaranteed a seat as it's the start of the run.

Perhaps you can go golfing with Putterdude.

The way I played this weekend ..... no one wants to play with me. I told someone that I was going into the locker room and impale myself on my putter and they told me I would probably miss that too.:mad:

Welcome back on the boards PD - remember even Tiger Woods has a few bad golfing days every once in a while and it probably costs him a lot more than it did you - or do you have a few side wagers with your buddies.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi

We will be in Vancouver the weekend 25th, 26th and 27th Sept 09, before our cruis and would like to know if there areany sporting fixtures that weekend. We are from the uk and love all types of sport.

regards

claridge

The Vancouver Canucks National Hockey League pre-season schedule has been released.

There are games on September 19-21-23 & 24

The Vancouver Canucks National Hockey League pre-season schedule has been released.

There are games on September 19-21-23 & 24

Thank you for the information ,looks like we will miss this by one day, but thank you for checking this out for us.

Claridge

Where is there internet access or an internet cafe? Everything I've read about printing airline boarding passes & checking in online on the ship on the last night is long connection time & iffy. We are spending the day on the HOHO with our flight at 9PM, so would have ample time. Is there a location at Canada Place or Granville Island? Thanks for all the wonderful help from all you Canadians.:)

Welcome back on the boards PD - remember even Tiger Woods has a few bad golfing days every once in a while and it probably costs him a lot more than it did you - or do you have a few side wagers with your buddies.

Thanks, I am only back briefly as there is a lot of golf to be played between now and a week Sunday. Very seldom do we have side wagers though....I would be broke if we did.:rolleyes: Got to get now to cut the lawn and do some plant watering.

Where is there internet access or an internet cafe? Everything I've read about printing airline boarding passes & checking in online on the ship on the last night is long connection time & iffy. We are spending the day on the HOHO with our flight at 9PM, so would have ample time. Is there a location at Canada Place or Granville Island? Thanks for all the wonderful help from all you Canadians.:)

There is a Kinko's on Pender and Howe, which is about 2-3 blocks from Canada Place (rates may be a bit pricey though). Also, there is a printing/copying place that has internet kiosks along west pender street (between Thurlow and Bute) in the same building as the marriott pinnacle, which is about a 5-minute walk from Canada Place (can't remember the name). There are also a couple on Robson street (one on Robson and Nicola, and the other one on Robson and Bidwell), but neither is that close to Canada Place.

Other than these places, I do not know of any others out there. I am not familiar with Granville Island so I can not comment on that.

Edited by orchid72

Dennis,

when is the celebration of lights, we will only be in town 7/25, then get on board the ncl sun for our cruise and will be flying home on 8/2. our flight leaves at 2pm. thanks

I am not Dennis, but these are the dates for the celebration of light competition:

• Canada: Wednesday, July 22

• South Africa: Saturday, July 25

• UK: Wednesday, July 29

• China: Saturday, August 1

Looks like you'll be here to watch S. Africa's entry!

Do you have your own laptop and just need a wireless hookup - if so most of the Blenz and Starbucks locations downtown have access for the price of a latte.

If you don't have a laptop then the suggestions above are pretty good - the Vancouver Public Library being the other but I don't know what hours they are opened that migth suit you.

Cheers

Dennis

A good site for identifying wireless internet access spots (cafes etc.) anywhere is hotspot-directory.com

We just returned from our cruise and I wanted to put in my recommendation for the Four Points by Sheraton hotel on Alexandra Road in Richmond. I don't know what the nightly rate was because we booked it as part of a package with our air fare and car rental.

The hotel itself was really nice, and we really loved the location. My understanding is that this is in what is called New Chinatown. The area obviously has a large population of people of Asian heritage, and the restaurant availability reflects this. We enjoyed a really good Korean BBQ next door to the hotel and there were literally dozens of restaurants within a very short distance serving all kinds of Asian food - Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, Singaporean, Thai. We would have liked to try more of these, but one was enough for our kids, and the rest of our group that we met the next night are not adventurous diners.

There is a shopping mall across from the back entrance to the hotel. Also, there is a train stop nearby, as well as lots of transit buses running through the area.

It is about 30 minutes from downtown and the cruise piers, so if you want to spend time in the downtown area, you would probably want to have a car.

My wife and I would love to return to this hotel again (without the kids) and really spend some time exploring the Vancouver area and trying out more of the restaurants in this part of Richmond.

Also some more info on the pending start up of the Canada Line - on the news last night it was reported that service could now start as early as mid - August and that regardless of when it starts the first day will be free - that will be a zoo.

Cheers

Dennis