Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Also some more info on the pending start up of the Canada Line - on the news last night it was reported that service could now start as early as mid - August and that regardless of when it starts the first day will be free - that will be a zoo.

Cheers

Dennis

WOW!

Looks like it will be ready for our arrival in Vancouver on Sept. 4 (afternoon). I hope it won't be too crowded since it's a weekday. I believe we can get off near Canada Place near our hotel, Delta Vancouver Suites on W. Hastings. We don't mind rolling our luggage a couple blocks. We did that in Barcelona at 5 am to catch the Airport bus. That was at least 4 blocks.:D

Also some more info on the pending start up of the Canada Line - on the news last night it was reported that service could now start as early as mid - August and that regardless of when it starts the first day will be free - that will be a zoo.

Cheers

Dennis

Oh yay :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ... I sure hope the first day of service is not a work day. I'm so not looking forward to loosing my direct bus from home to downtown and being force to transfer from a bus to the canada line to come to work everyday. It's truly going to be a nightmare.

WOW!

Looks like it will be ready for our arrival in Vancouver on Sept. 4 (afternoon). I hope it won't be too crowded since it's a weekday. I believe we can get off near Canada Place near our hotel, Delta Vancouver Suites on W. Hastings. We don't mind rolling our luggage a couple blocks. We did that in Barcelona at 5 am to catch the Airport bus. That was at least 4 blocks.:D

Considering all commuters south of the Fraser River to Downtown will have to take the Canada Line, I have a hunch it is going to be busy. But I guess it all depends on what time of day you are arriving.

I suspect that they will make the free day - a Sunday and you shouldn't have a problem getting on a train as they will be getting on a the Airport terminus. The trains are scheduled to run about every 6 minutes or so - even if one is busy it won't be that long until the next one.

Since the downtown stations aren't open to the public yet can't say for sure but you probably will be no more than a two block walk to the Delta Suites.

While I agree with you about having to change your riding plans it will also take a large number of polluting diesel buses off the Granville corridor.

Cheers

Dennis

I can also tell you on excellent authority that the Airporter bus service will cease on September 30

first word in headline should be speaking

:( Is there any reason why they are discontinuing the service?

I like the airporter because it is handier for me to take it to the airport even with the new skytrain route in place. I can practically stumble out of my apartment - and in some people's cases, their hotel - and the airporter bus is there. Without the airporter, I would either have to take a cab or the skytrain (taking the bus is so out of the question). The cab is too expensive compared to the skytrain and airporter, so to me, it does not represent good value. Yes, Skytrain would be the less expensive option than the airporter, but it is not as convenient. Skytraining it means having to make my way to a skytrain station and then having to drag my luggage in amongst other commuters, etc, etc (good luck taking it during peak hours!). Even if the airporter works out to be a little bit more expensive than skytrain, I would gladly pay the wee bit of premium for the convenience of door-to-door service.

Edited by orchid72

Nice weather on July 24th and 25th will be appreciated so don't get your left coast sun dance mixed up with the Arizona rain dance...please

PD. The nice weather dance you promised seems to be working. I just looked at the forecast for the week and it is great. long range is sunny and 24 on Friday, 30 on Saturday. Can I assume that your apparent success is for the cruise visitors at least as much as it is for your golf game?:) Whatever it is keep it up. Here in Ontario this summer feels alot like the summers of my childhood on PEI, comfortable with no need for AC at all. Looking forward to Vancouver, False Creek and Granville Island this Friday and Saturday !!

the last cruise we took out of Vancouver left from Canada Place. According to our E-docs our departure on Sep21 will be from Ballentyne.:( Please tell me is is just as easy for embarcation as CP, just not as beautiful.... also, haw far is it from CP?

Thanks.

TuTu

"Looking forward to Vancouver, False Creek and Granville Island this Friday and Saturday"

Don't forget there are fireworks in English Bay on Saturday night - some 300,000 + people jam the downtown core for the event and with warm weather the crowds will be huge

Link here:

http://celebration-of-light.com/

- it is also the start of Vancouver Gay Pride week in the same general location and just to make it even more busy we are hosting the World Police and Fire Games - up to 10,000 participants at various venues around the region. Link here:

http://2009wpfg.ca/index.shtml

FYI - generally from July 10 to around August 15 - Vancouver is sunny and rain free - it is our driest five weeks of the year.

Cheers

Dennis

the last cruise we took out of Vancouver left from Canada Place. According to our E-docs our departure on Sep21 will be from Ballentyne.:( Please tell me is is just as easy for embarcation as CP, just not as beautiful.... also, haw far is it from CP?

Thanks.

TuTu

Ballantyne is about 2.5 kms (about 1.5 mi?) away from Canada Place. Probably a 5 minute cab ride.

Can't comment about embarkation at Ballantyne because I have only ever boarded at CP. However, I have not heard of anyone saying that it was harder or less organized at Ballantyne compared to CP.

PD. The nice weather dance you promised seems to be working. I just looked at the forecast for the week and it is great. long range is sunny and 24 on Friday, 30 on Saturday. Can I assume that your apparent success is for the cruise visitors at least as much as it is for your golf game?:) Whatever it is keep it up. Here in Ontario this summer feels alot like the summers of my childhood on PEI, comfortable with no need for AC at all. Looking forward to Vancouver, False Creek and Granville Island this Friday and Saturday !!

I am just danceing my heart out but as you point out it is also for my golf as well.:D

"Looking forward to Vancouver, False Creek and Granville Island this Friday and Saturday"

Don't forget there are fireworks in English Bay on Saturday night - some 300,000 + people jam the downtown core for the event and with warm weather the crowds will be huge

Link here:

- it is also the start of World Police and Fire Games - up to 10,000 participants at various venues around the region. Link here:

FYI - generally from July 10 to around August 15 - Vancouver is sunny and rain free - it is our driest five weeks of the year.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis

Happily we will miss the fireworks. Not that I dislike fireworks, particularly this display which is just about as good as it gets in the world. Happily we will be aboard SoS on our way north. I have seen FW's before but never been north of Vancouver in BC before.

The Fire Games would be interesting as our son is a firefighter in the CF based in Edmonton. Still the SoS wins.

Sooo the weather just happens this way this time of year? PD doesn't get any credit? :rolleyes:

Link here:

- it is also the start of World Police and Fire Games - up to 10,000 participants at various venues around the region. Link here:

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis

Happily we will miss the fireworks. Not that I dislike fireworks, particularly this display which is just about as good as it gets in the world. Happily we will be aboard SoS on our way north. I have seen FW's before but never been north of Vancouver in BC before.

The Fire Games would be interesting as our son is a firefighter in the CF based in Edmonton. Still the SoS wins.

Sooo the weather just happens this way this time of year? PD doesn't get any credit? :rolleyes:

Dennis

You may still be in luck re the fireworks. Cruise ships departing on the same evening are known to "hang around" in order for passengers to view the fireworks. They make up the time fairly easily since the distances needed to travel are usually pretty short.

:)

You may still be in luck re the fireworks. Cruise ships departing on the same evening are known to "hang around" in order for passengers to view the fireworks. They make up the time fairly easily since the distances needed to travel are usually pretty short.

:)

Wow that would be very cool. Have seen lots of FW but never from a "ocean side" point of view. That would be great !!

Very useful information and thanks to the Vancouver localites for doing this!

We are arriving a day early Thursday noon before our cruise starts Friday evening. Since the hotel check in is after 3 PM (we are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre), is there a place to keep the luggage, go around town and come back to the hotel? Thanks!

3 instead of 4 downs, longer and wider field, more players on the field, backfield can move before ball is snapped, all in all a better game. Major League without mega hype. Then of course there is the Grand National drunk AKA the Grey Cup Game, which is the Championship game of the CFL. The end result on the field is irrelevant, the parties leading up to it can be magnificent!:D

We have a CFL team here in Memphis several years ago, and I LOVED it. My friend and I went often and we both fund it more exciting than the NFL. Wish more Memphis folks had felt that way and supported the team!

I have to go from the Pan Pacific Hotel to the Amtrak station, approx 2 miles, do you think it would be easier to get a taxi from in front of the hotel or to order a car service to pick us up?

If service does anyone have a suggestion of which one to use?

Thanks for your help!

Cathy

Edited by crazycath

I have to go from the Pan Pacific Hotel to the Amtrak station, approx 2 miles, do you think it would be easier to get a taxi from in front of the hotel or to order a car service to pick us up?

If service does anyone have a suggestion of which one to use?

Thanks for your help!

Cathy

A taxi would be the quickest, cheapest and most convenient way to go.

There are usually lots of cabs available in front of the hotel, but if not, the Bellman will be happy to call for one.

A taxi would be the quickest, cheapest and most convenient way to go.

There are usually lots of cabs available in front of the hotel, but if not, the Bellman will be happy to call for one.

Thanks for your quick response

Cathy

tutuwahineLV & leaving from Ballantyne Pier

We left from Ballantyne this year. It's about 2.7 km (just over 1 1/2 miles) from CP. Cab fare will be just under or over $10 depending on the traffic.

The area is certainly not as beautiful as CP, but embarkation is just as easy. My only problem was I arrived around 2 pm and the lines were very long. I arrived at the busiest time, but that can happen at either embarkation point.