Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I think I've read every page of this thread. You have answered most of my questions already, so first of all I want to say Thank You! My husband and I are traveling to your beautiful city to take our first cruise ever! We are going to Alaska. We will be celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary while onboard the Volendam. We have reservations on the Quick Shuttle (thanks for the suggestion) from Sea-Tac to Vancouver on the 8th of August and will arrive at about 1:45pm. We have reservations at the Westin Grand, made on Priceline (saved a bit off rack rates there but a little too anxious so could probably have saved more, LOL, again thanks to this board). I purchased the Entertainment Book and will use as much as we can and leave the remainder for our housekeeper/maid. Great idea I borrowed from this board. :DNow for my question, finally. We have most of the afternoon and evening of the 8th, all day on the 9th and part of the 10th to check out as much of Vancouver as possible. We will leave Victoria for another trip. How should we apportion our days? The bridges and Grouse Moutain sound wonderful. And Stanley Park sounds like we could stay several days there. My only requirement is to get my husband to a good Korean restaurant for lunch or dinner one of those days. Even if we have to take a cab to Burnaby or wherever you suggest. I would like to pick up flowers for our room on board at the Granville Market on Wed. prior to boarding. Any suggestions? A bus pass is in our future, I'm sure, just need some tweaking of the timelines. Again this board has been invaluable to a overplanner like me;).

There are Korean style on just about every streetcorner in Downtown Vancouver so there is no need to go to far from your hotel - check out http://www.dinehere.ca for some ideas - enter Vancouver - downtown - Korean and see what comes up

There are four or five Korean restaurant further down Robson - near Denman and Stanley Park that seems to be busy all the time - we have a large Korean student population learning English here in Vancouver so there are lots of restaurants to serve them.

Hope this helps and some of the other locals will be around to offer there suggestions.

Cheers

Dennis

Here is a broad timeline for you:

Stanley Park : allow a full half day, you won't see it all but it will be a good start.

Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mtn Skyride : can be combined on the same day as they are only about 10 mins apart by bus. Allow a full 30/40 mins for travel in either direction. At the bridge allow 90 mins to 2 hrs and on the mountain about 3 hrs.

Gastown: allow 90 mins to 2 hrs and if you go up to the Vancouver Lookout at Harbour Centre another 30 mins.

Granville Island: its a place you can spend a day...but just for the market allow a full 90 mins to 2 hrs.

I'll stay away from the Korean restaurants...it's not that I don't like Korean it's just that I have eaten very little of it.

I just found this thread & am very excited to see it! We are booked on the Sapphire Princess in 2012 for the Pacific Coastal Cruise. We are really looking forward to it as it will take us places we have never been, despite living in the Western USA for the past 10 years. I have been to LA quite a few times, Seattle several times & Victoria for a few hours, but that is it. Our cruise starts in LA and ends in Vancouver. We are thinking of staying in Vancouver a day or two & then taking Amtrack back to LA and driving or flying home from there.

Putterdude - are you in AZ now for the winter? I see you are doing the same coastal cruise in 2011. Are you considering it in 2012? I would love to finally meet you as I know we have chatted in the past.:)

I will continue to watch this thread during the next year & try to go back and read past posts after our Hawaii cruise this May.:cool:

You are all so quick with responses! Thanks and my husband has already bookmarked the dinehere.ca webpage for Korean restaurants. I'm just hoping I can eat something besides Korean food while there, LOL:D I want to hit AquaRiva and also dine on the wonderful combustibles at Granville Island. Thanks for the timeline ideas Putterdude, just what I needed. Always allowing for weather we can see it all, and find things we'll want to return to and experience in depth. Luckily, you are just north of us and a return trip is already on my 'bucket list".:)

Hi Everyone,

I am back with more questions.:D

So I think I have our hotel picked finally, The Coast Coal Harbor. Now I am wondering what type of transportation do we use to tour the city.

We want to do Granville Island, Grouse Mountain, and Stanley park. We are a party of 7 people that includes three kids so not sure how to get around.

Also we may have to stay a night after our cruise. Should we still stay at Coast Coal Harbour or something close to the airport? I am having a tough time trying to figure out all our options. We still want to do some sort of touring that day, whatever we did not get to before our cruise. Oh and what do we do with luggage? Can we take it to the hotel we stay at before actual check in and have them store it? I am still confused so bear with me. I had to rethink our plans because I waited too long to buy airfare and now have to stay the extra night. We probably will have just the afternoon before our cruise and then the day after our cruise. What is a reasonable touring plan? Can we see it all in just that amount of time or should I narrow it down? So many questions going around in my head. :confused: I am sure I will be back with more. Thanks for you help.

I am looking for some help on what hotel to stay at before our cruise.

I am looking at Hampton inn at the airport or downtown location or the Coast Coal hotel. Which is the best in terms of easy transportation to area attractions and to and from airport and cruise terminal. I would also like it to be close to places to eat. We are a family of 7 and have 3 little ones. Hard to determine which hotel will better suit us. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We are planning to fly from LAX to YVR on same day of our cruise. Flight is non-stop from LAX and is scheduled to land at 12:30. We are planning to take the Canada Line to Canada Place. Our cruise departs at 4:30. How long to get through customs? Will this give us enough time? I would really like to save $$$ on hotel and one less night away from home.

Thanks for any advice

Our cruise starts in LA and ends in Vancouver. We are thinking of staying in Vancouver a day or two & then taking Amtrack back to LA and driving or flying home from there.

Putterdude - are you in AZ now for the winter? I see you are doing the same coastal cruise in 2011. Are you considering it in 2012? I would love to finally meet you as I know we have chatted in the past.:)

:cool:

Yes, we are back in AZ now and will likely be here until mid-April. As for the 2012 coastal....it is a bit to early to say...this will be at least our 4th in a row so we need to think about it a bit.

As for staying in Vancouver, we would love to have you stay, there is just a ton to see and do in our city.

Hi Everyone,

I am back with more questions.:D

So I think I have our hotel picked finally, The Coast Coal Harbor. Now I am wondering what type of transportation do we use to tour the city.

We want to do Granville Island, Grouse Mountain, and Stanley park. We are a party of 7 people that includes three kids so not sure how to get around.

Also we may have to stay a night after our cruise. Should we still stay at Coast Coal Harbour or something close to the airport? I am having a tough time trying to figure out all our options. We still want to do some sort of touring that day, whatever we did not get to before our cruise. Oh and what do we do with luggage? Can we take it to the hotel we stay at before actual check in and have them store it? I am still confused so bear with me. I had to rethink our plans because I waited too long to buy airfare and now have to stay the extra night. We probably will have just the afternoon before our cruise and then the day after our cruise. What is a reasonable touring plan? Can we see it all in just that amount of time or should I narrow it down? So many questions going around in my head. :confused: I am sure I will be back with more. Thanks for you help.

The easy answers first...I would be inclined to go back to the Coast CH. to go out to a hotel around the airport and then come back downtown IMO is a waste of at least an hour and more like 90 mins. By all means the bell desk at your hotel will be happy to store your luggage if your rooms are not ready for you. As for getting around with 7 of you, you have several options:

You could rent an 8 pax mini-van.

Most of what you want to do you can do buy transit and you can purchase all day passes.

You could take one of the HOHOs which would tend to be my preference.

Here are a couple of links for your convenience:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

I am looking for some help on what hotel to stay at before our cruise.

I am looking at Hampton inn at the airport or downtown location or the Coast Coal hotel. Which is the best in terms of easy transportation to area attractions and to and from airport and cruise terminal. I would also like it to be close to places to eat. We are a family of 7 and have 3 little ones. Hard to determine which hotel will better suit us. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your real challenge is going to be your luggage but if you can handle that then the Canada Line may be an option to look into...but if not then you all won't fit into even one mini-van cab so it will be two cabs or a limo. A stretch limo may be the answer an I will attach a link but do not make a reservation as there is a contracted rate with the airport and if you make a reservation they are not bound by the contract. The limo company also operates a shuttle service which may have some merit.

As for hotels the two you have selected are pretty much a pick'em. The Coast Coal Harbour is closer to Canada Place but is a bit challenge for family dining. The Hampton has the advantage of the free breakfast and the free shuttle to the pier and family dining will be closer. There are some suite hotels around the city which may appeal to you. As for getting around the city, one is no better than the other.

http://aeroshuttleyvr.ca/

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/hired-sedans-limousines.aspx

We are planning to fly from LAX to YVR on same day of our cruise. Flight is non-stop from LAX and is scheduled to land at 12:30. We are planning to take the Canada Line to Canada Place. Our cruise departs at 4:30. How long to get through customs? Will this give us enough time? I would really like to save $$$ on hotel and one less night away from home.

Thanks for any advice

If your flight is on time you will need at least 45 mins to collect your luggage and clear customs...allow an hour to be safe so that takes you to 1:30. You then have two options, one is to take a cab which will take 35 mins and cost you about $35. The other is to follow the signs at the airport to the Canada Line station, the Canada Line is a rapid transit elevated/subway system that will take you to Waterfront Station which is short 2 blocks from Canada Place....the cost is $8.75pp the actual travel time is 24 mins to which you should allow about 10 mins on either end for walking, waiting for a train and so forth. With either option you should be at the pier by shortly after 2 pm....but one hiccup and you are waiving good by to the ship. Frankly I would arrive the night before...we always do when we fly from YVR to LAX it just takes all of the stress out of the equation.

I have been waiting for Vancouver's cruise ship schedule to be available in PDF format...but I see that this year (maybe it was available last year but I have always relied on the PDF format) they have a feature where you can type in the name of the ship and all of the sailing dates appear...like magic.:) link

Edited by Putterdude

You are a real great one -

Cheers

Dennis

Not really, just trying to shake this cold and I am bored....but I will print up your message and show it to DW.:D

Hey, still no sign of Disney for 2012....so do we have a one season "Wonder" here or what? (no pun intended)

So I've been researching hotels on betterbidding.com and the Westin Bayside is coming up frequently. Anyone have any feedback on that hotel? How is the location? We are leaving out of Canada Place. I just can't decide whether it is worth paying the extra money for the Pan Pacific or just risking a 4* bid on priceline.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who provides all the great info!!!!!

So I've been researching hotels on betterbidding.com and the Westin Bayside is coming up frequently. Anyone have any feedback on that hotel? How is the location? We are leaving out of Canada Place. I just can't decide whether it is worth paying the extra money for the Pan Pacific or just risking a 4* bid on priceline.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who provides all the great info!!!!!

The Westin Bayshore was good enough for Howard Hughes when he lived here....

It is a great hotel, there are some wonderful views to be had over the Coal Harbour yacht basin, Stanley Park, Burrard Inlet and the North Shore Mountains. It is about as close to Stanley Park as you can get but arguably it is also about as far west in the downtown peninsula as you can be....however I would certainly stay there.

My family of 6 likes staying in suite hotels. We will be coming in 1 1/2 days prior to our cruise. We are looking at Landis or Time Square Suites. I am leaning towards Landis as they have a pool. Is the neighborhood safe around Landis? Is there any shopping near Landis? Do any of the Hop On Hop Off have stops near Landis? Does anyone know if their free shuttle will drop you off at the port? Thank you for any and all advice. I have learned so much from reading this thread.

The Landis is certainly in a safe area, Hornby St. is a one way traffic artery into the downtown core so it will be a bit busy. Serious Shopping is on Robson St. some 4 blocks to the north but you find convenience shopping on Hornby, Burrard and Howe Sts. I don't believe the Landis offers a shuttle. The Vancouver Trolley and the Gig Bus both have stops on both Burrard and Howe Sts, about a block on either side of the Landis. Have a good time in our city.

The Landis shares it pool and parking with the Cascadia Hotel - the Cascadia is on the Vancouver Trolley stop list right out in front - I live a block from the Landis and yes the area is safe - what type of shopping are you referring to - groceries, convenience, malls etc. Lot`s of restuarants in the area and you are are short three block walk to the little ferries over to Granville Island and all of the amenties there.

Since the bike lanes have been put in on Hornby the amount of traffic in my view is less than before as people are using Burrard instead and some of us are even using the bike lanes to access areas of the downtown core.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Dennis

Okay - here goes- for grocery shopping the nearest full service is the Super Value on Davie - about three blocks away - for wine there is a government liquor store 1/2 block before the Grocery Store but it is only opened to 6PM except 9 PM on Friday and closed on Sundays - there is a private wine store on Davie before the Super Valu.

http://www.supervaluondavie.com

http://www.marquis-wines.com/

Just a word of caution - the Davie Street Village is the home of the LGBT crowd here in Vancouver - so many of the shops are gay -themed. Except for pride week at the end of July - beginning of August it is a very mixed neighbourhood - just as many people wheeling buggies with kids as people walking hand in hand.

Your other options is to go the opposite way on Davie - four blocks to Choices - http://www.choicesmarket.com/index.php

more of a whole foods store type of operation or if it is only a few convenience items there is a 7 -11 across the street that is 24 hrs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

WOW! So much valuable information. Thanks so much everyone.

We are leaving May 14, 2011 from Balantyne Pier. Very thankful to have learned that it is not the same pier everyone is usually discussing and that we will likely need to get a cab there, and one with a permit. Would have been in a mess without that type of information.

I also learned that they do not have a baggage storage service.

We are flying in the day before on the 13th. Would it be better for us to book a hotel close to Balantyne? (if so, what would be the suggested hotels, perhaps with a free shuttle from the airport?) OR, should be stay closer to the airport and get the cab to the pier the next day?

Hubby and I have been together for 32 years, never had a honeymoon or vacation together. This is our first vacation and first cruise. I will likely overthink and over plan everything and these boards are such a wealth of information, thank goodness!