Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you for your quick answers. Just having you guys to answer my questions takes so much stress off and makes me feel a little more comfortable.

I hope I do not become a bother with so many questions.

Here goes another one, What do you all think of the hotels

Best Western Downtown and Hampton Inn downtown?

I am leaning towards these two but still may give priceline or Hotwire a try. Thanks for your help

tadsmom, both Best Western Downtown and Hampton Inn are fine. Personally, I'd choose Hampton Inn over the Best Western. They are a bit further from Canada Place and the central core of downtown, but in decent areas.

Here is a map with locations of many of the popular downtown hotels used by cruise folks:

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

The pinmarks (balloons) for Western and Hampton Inn are in the bottom right and bottom left and Canada Place is near the top right of the map to give you some perspective (btw, the Pan Pacific should be directly over top Canada Place).

FYI, the Hyatt, Sutton Place and Sheraton Wall Centre often come up on Priceline bids of 4*, but again, is luck of the draw and there is no guarantee. If you are interested in researching the bidding process and finding out what hotels are being won, you should check out these 2 sites first:

Betterbidding.com

BiddingforTravel.com

I prefer BetterBidding, but there is good information on the other one as well.

Edited by ell52
typo

Thank you for your help. I am going back and forth with all the hotel options. I just came across another one that seems like a good choice for us. Coast Coal Harbour I think it is called. It has a good price and looks fairly close to the pier. I did a search on it and it got good reviews. What do you all think? I have also narrowed down some of the stuff we want to do and see, just wondering now how to get to these places. For instance if we stay at the Coast Coal hotel how do we get to Granville Island, Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain? I know I am endless with all the questions. I really appreciate all the help.

Thank you for your help. I am going back and forth with all the hotel options. I just came across another one that seems like a good choice for us. Coast Coal Harbour I think it is called. It has a good price and looks fairly close to the pier. I did a search on it and it got good reviews. What do you all think? I have also narrowed down some of the stuff we want to do and see, just wondering now how to get to these places. For instance if we stay at the Coast Coal hotel how do we get to Granville Island, Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain? I know I am endless with all the questions. I really appreciate all the help.

The answer is "The local transit system"; visit http://Translink.ca/

Before you even step out of the airport, buy yourself a book ($31.50) of 10; two-zone transit tickets at the 7-11 in the airport. From there; your first two will get you from the airport to downtown on a fast (faster than a taxi) clean, new subway system; and one ticket will get you from downtown to any of the places you mentioned.

The answer is "The local transit system"; visit http://Translink.ca/

Before you even step out of the airport, buy yourself a book ($31.50) of 10; two-zone transit tickets at the 7-11 in the airport. From there; your first two will get you from the airport to downtown on a fast (faster than a taxi) clean, new subway system; and one ticket will get you from downtown to any of the places you mentioned.

Scott, as much as I admire your promotion of public transit, I don't think Canada Line for a party of 7, including 3 children under 12, two grandmothers and lots of luggage (according to Tadsmom) would make for a very easy transfer to their hotel. On the other hand, I think transit would be great for going to Grouse Mtn and Capilano Suspension Bridge. :)

• 1 month later...

I wanted to drop in and wish all of the Vancouver posters a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I have been a bit absent from these boards of late as I have been focusing on 4 roll calls, 3 of which have been quite active, done a Mex-Riv float at the begining of the month, up to Las Vegas for a couple of days of Christmas shopping (honest), playing golf at least 3 times a week and have had house guests for a week. We have family flying down to spend Christmas with us then on Jan 5th we head off for 2 Caribbean cruises.

So the best of the season to all and we will reconnect in late January.

I will just expand on a couple of Ell52's points:

You could take 2 cabs from YVR to the hotel, you cost will be about $35 per cab. As the Vancouver cab fleet's cars has been downsized you probably would want to have one of the cabs a mini-van cab which likely would take all of your luggage as well as 4 people. If you do decide to take a limo do not book in advance...the rate quoted is a walk up/curb rate and to make a reservation allows them to charge an amount outside of the contracted rate with YVR...you will find lots of limos waiting at YVR.

With regard to hotels without using something like Priceline or Hotwire you will have trouble keeping your cost under $200 p/n. With Priceline I recommend bidding on rooms. You go to the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, choose 3*+ and start bidding at about $100 for a number of about $135 or so you will end up with an excellent room in a great hotel in a good location...hotels include the like of the Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Renaissance, Sutton Place....

Here is a link to Vancouver's transit system which will help you plan your excursions. There maybe merit is purchasing an all-day pass at a cost of $9, they can be purchased and most convenience stores and at Waterfront Station at the News dealer. link

Are flight doesn't land until 11:15pm, by the time we get our luggage and get thru customs, would limo's still be waiting that we could just walk up and get one. We will have 4 adults with a good amount of luggage, and are wanting to go downtown to the Marriott.

Are flight doesn't land until 11:15pm, by the time we get our luggage and get thru customs, would limo's still be waiting that we could just walk up and get one. We will have 4 adults with a good amount of luggage, and are wanting to go downtown to the Marriott.

They have limos at the curb 24/7, you will have no trouble at all. However here is a link if you want to double check...just don't let them sweet talk you into making a reservation. link As an alternative you would likely all fit into a mini-van cab which will also be available at the curb and would save you a few dollars.

They have limos at the curb 24/7, you will have no trouble at all. However here is a link if you want to double check...just don't let them sweet talk you into making a reservation. link As an alternative you would likely all fit into a mini-van cab which will also be available at the curb and would save you a few dollars.

I like the mini-van cab idea, just wasn't sure they would be available.

Will be arriving in Vancouver Friday September 9th leaving the next day on the Coral. I would appreciate some info on Hotels near the port that are not outrageously priced. Have done Priceline before but not Hotwire. Any info would be greatly appreciated..

My experience has always been with Priceline. On the bidding screen click on "Vancouver-Downtown", choose 3*+ and start your bidding at about $100. With that you will end up with a hotel like the Marriott, the Renaissance, Hyatt Regency, Sutton-Place, maybe a Weston and occasionally the Pan Pacific for about $135. All of these a great hotels, super locations and some are within walking distance of the pier and none more than a $10 cab fare.

I agree booking a hotel in Vancouver during the Alaska is a bit like booking a room in FLL during the winter...the prices makes it hard to sleep at night.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We are arriving in Vancouver May 20 aboard RCI Radiance of the Seas, docking around 7 am. We are leaving Vancouver at 5:45 pm aboard the Amtrak Cascades train. In between, we would like to go out to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I need a transportation plan...complicated by the fact that we have our luggage with us coming from the ship. I'm wondering if it will work to:

(1) take a taxi from port to Amtrak station as soon as we get off the ship and store our luggage there until the 5:45 pm departure, then

(2) taxi back to Canada Place to take the free shuttle to Capilano

(3) catch the return shuttle from Capilano at 2 pm back to Canada Place

(4) taxi back to Amtrak station and get on the train after retrieving our luggage

Does Amtrak even have a place to hold our luggage for the day? Are all these cab rides going to cost a fortune? Is there enough time to do this? I think we'll probably carry our luggage off the ship ourselves to save time.

Or is there a better way?

It will depend which dock you end up at - in the past RCCL has mostly used Ballantyne Pier which is not close to anything and will take time to get the luggage etc and then to the train station. However with less ships these days you may end up at Canada Place which is central to everything.

If however you get you dock at Canada Place there is no need to go to the Amtrak station -either use the baggage storage at the pier or go up one flight to the Pan Pacific Hotel and ask the bell hops to store your luggage for you - then walk out the front door and around the corner to Waterfront Station and take the Sea Bus to Lonsdale Quay where you can catch the bus to the Suspension Bridsge.

The Bridge also runs a free shuttle from Canada Place to the Bridge but I am not sure if it will be up and running that early in the season - check out http://www.capbridge.com for more info.

Hope this helps - some of the other locals will likely be around to give you some further input.

Cheers

Dennis

We are arriving in Vancouver May 20 aboard RCI Radiance of the Seas, docking around 7 am. We are leaving Vancouver at 5:45 pm aboard the Amtrak Cascades train. In between, we would like to go out to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I need a transportation plan...complicated by the fact that we have our luggage with us coming from the ship. I'm wondering if it will work to:

(1) take a taxi from port to Amtrak station as soon as we get off the ship and store our luggage there until the 5:45 pm departure, then

(2) taxi back to Canada Place to take the free shuttle to Capilano

(3) catch the return shuttle from Capilano at 2 pm back to Canada Place

(4) taxi back to Amtrak station and get on the train after retrieving our luggage

Does Amtrak even have a place to hold our luggage for the day? Are all these cab rides going to cost a fortune? Is there enough time to do this? I think we'll probably carry our luggage off the ship ourselves to save time.

Or is there a better way?

Pretty much all the cruise ships dock at Canada Place, which is right downtown, and next door to a major transit hub. ALso, at Canada place there's a place to check luggage http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/

Now, once your bags are dropped, head next door (east) to Waterfront station, and buy a couple of day passes for the transit system $9/ea (Bus/Seabus/Skytrain); then get on Seabus (at Waterfront) for a watertaxi ride across Burrard Inlet, and then the #236 bus to take you up toward Grouse Mountain; the Capilano suspension bridge is along that route.

Of course that means you're also free to head up to Grouse Mt after the bridge; get back to Canada Place/Waterfront Station the same way, and then you can use the Expo/Millenium line Skytrain (to Main St) to get back to the Amtrak Station.

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.294848,-123.066959&spn=0.042822,0.132093&z=14

I would think that all of the ships would continue to use Canada Place again this year except for a few at the begining and end of the season. The only additional ship of any size that is being homeported in Vancouver this up-coming season is Disney and it will be in the city on Tuesdays, a day that wasn't other used in 2010.

Hi,

I have some questions.....Does anyone know what a taxi from Vancouver airport to Coast Coal Harbour Hotel costs? Is the Coal Coast a good hotel in a good area? Then how much from Coast Coal Harbour Hotel to Cananda Place? Also what would it cost from Canada Pier to Vancouver airport? We are 18 people with a wheelchair and stroller. Should we do individual taxis or mini vans? Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

Hi,

I have some questions.....Does anyone know what a taxi from Vancouver airport to Coast Coal Harbour Hotel costs? Is the Coal Coast a good hotel in a good area? Then how much from Coast Coal Harbour Hotel to Cananda Place? Also what would it cost from Canada Pier to Vancouver airport? We are 18 people with a wheelchair and stroller. Should we do individual taxis or mini vans? Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

A cab fare from YVR to your hotel will run about $35, from hotel to Canada Place about $7 and from Canada Place back to YVR about $35. The Coast's Coal Harbour is a little more than a year old (built for the Olympics) is a very good hotel and in an excellent area. Given your numbers you perhaps should look into hiring a van & driver to go to and from YVR. About 7% of Vancouver's cab fleet are mini-vans and many of these are equipped for wheel chairs; however they are only licensed to carry 4 pax plus the driver so you are going to be into 5 cabs anyway you slice it.

Thank you again Putterdude for answering my questions! All of you who answer the questions have been lifesavers for me.

Now I have another question, someone mentioned ridebooker.com to me, can you tell me anything about them? Thanks.

Sorry, I have bow out on that one, I see they have a website (as you may guessed) but aside from that they are an unknown quantity to me. Maybe someone else can help.:)

Thanks anyway! I checked there website and I think it is less expensive to get the individual taxis.

Hi,

I have another question, surprise right? How is the public transportation near the Coast Coal Hotel? Some of us would like to do Grouse Mpuntain and the Cap (I forget how to spell it) Bridge. Also any suggestions on what we can do with my Mom, who is in a wheelchair and 5 other senior citizens who don't walk very well. Thanks for any info.

Hi,

I have another question, surprise right? How is the public transportation near the Coast Coal Hotel? Some of us would like to do Grouse Mpuntain and the Cap (I forget how to spell it) Bridge. Also any suggestions on what we can do with my Mom, who is in a wheelchair and 5 other senior citizens who don't walk very well. Thanks for any info.

It's very good. The Coast Coal Harbour Hotel is a few blocks from "Waterfront Station" where the downtown transit hub is. From there, Seabus (a water taxi -- part of the bus system), followed by the #236 will get you up to Grouse Mtn and the Capilano suspension bridge. a 90 minute, 2 zone ticket is $3.75 (less for seniors), a daypass is $9, and all the buses/seabus/subway is wheelchair accessible.

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.302628,-123.049278&spn=0.08563,0.264187&z=13

transit website: http://translink.ca/