Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

My DH and I are arriving on Thursday Sept 8th at mid day from AZ (through Oregon) for our first Alaskan cruise departing on the 10th. We are very excited. We both love using public transportation so my first question is if we land in the International terminal, how do we get to the 7-11 to buy our day pass or 10-ride ticket? We currently have a reservation at the Ramada Inn Downtown. I believe we would take the Skytrain to the Waterfront Station – is that correct?

The 7-11 (and Pharmasave that also sell the transit tickets) are located pre-security over towards the domestic area if I remember correctly.

If you're staying at the Ramada Inn on Granville, get off at Yaletown/Roundhouse. If you're staying at the Ramada Inn Limited on Pender, get off at Waterfront.

This map will probably help: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=49.277829,-123.093481&spn=0.037853,0.09038&z=14&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2

Both Pharmasave and 7-11 are located in the domestic area of the terminal, Pharmasave is located on level 1 and the 7-11 on level 2 and both are located on in the pre-security area. You won't have any problem finding them.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be for someone arriving in YVR from the US to meet up outside with someone arriving from Canada.

Our flights would arrive close to the same time, and we are staying in the same hotel together, so would like to take a cab together.

How far apart would we be when we walk out of our perspective terminals to catch a cab?

The party from the US is less able to walk any distance than the party from Canada.

I looked at the Vancouver airport map, but it isn't clear to me where arrivals from either the US or Canada would go to catch a cab.

Thanks!

Yes, Urban Trekker was right, we are staying at the Pender St Ramada Inn – can you tell me where the nearest grocery store to that hotel is?

Thanks Putterdude for the info on the day passes – so does that mean that on our second day, I could buy a day pass at any station from the ticket machine?

Jasminelee – we are on the Zuiderdam but I’ll be looking for the Coral Princess and I’ll be waving to you!

Thanks for all the help, folks,

Sheila

Does anyone know how difficult it would be for someone arriving in YVR from the US to meet up outside with someone arriving from Canada.

Our flights would arrive close to the same time, and we are staying in the same hotel together, so would like to take a cab together.

How far apart would we be when we walk out of our perspective terminals to catch a cab?

The party from the US is less able to walk any distance than the party from Canada.

I looked at the Vancouver airport map, but it isn't clear to me where arrivals from either the US or Canada would go to catch a cab.

Thanks!

Meeting place .... no problem, a lot folks choose to meet by the jade canoe carved by the late Bill Reid, a world renowned Haida carver. The carving is located in the center of the international area and stands some 12' high and you can't miss it. To catch a cab you will be walking maybe 50 yards. Vancouver's cabs have all been downsized and will only accommodate 3 adults with luggage...however there are some mini-van cabs that will accommodate 4 persons but you may have to wait a few minutes for one.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/meeting-places.aspx#3

Yes, Urban Trekker was right, we are staying at the Pender St Ramada Inn – can you tell me where the nearest grocery store to that hotel is?

Thanks Putterdude for the info on the day passes – so does that mean that on our second day, I could buy a day pass at any station from the ticket machine?

Jasminelee – we are on the Zuiderdam but I’ll be looking for the Coral Princess and I’ll be waving to you!

Thanks for all the help, folks,

Sheila

I am not sure what you want in the way of a grocery store, there is a 7-11 on Seymour at Dunsmuir about a block and a half from your hotel. You will need to buy your pass for the second day at a c-store or news vendor.

Meeting place .... no problem, a lot folks choose to meet by the jade canoe carved by the late Bill Reid, a world renowned Haida carver. The carving is located in the center of the international area and stands some 12' high and you can't miss it. To catch a cab you will be walking maybe 50 yards. Vancouver's cabs have all been downsized and will only accommodate 3 adults with luggage...however there are some mini-van cabs that will accommodate 4 persons but you may have to wait a few minutes for one.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/meeting-places.aspx#3

It will be DH and myself at the international terminal and my son arriving at the domestic terminal.

Is it far or difficult to get from the domestic terminal to the international terminal?

We will probably wait for a van cab, even tho its just the 3 of us sharing a cab, DH has problems getting into small cars.

Thanks for your help!

It will be DH and myself at the international terminal and my son arriving at the domestic terminal.

Is it far or difficult to get from the domestic terminal to the international terminal?

We will probably wait for a van cab, even tho its just the 3 of us sharing a cab, DH has problems getting into small cars.

Thanks for your help!

They are just one large terminal and I would estimate that from the domestic arrivals area to the carving would be equivalent to about a city block.

Thanks for your help!

The main portion(*1) of Vancouver airport is really just one large Terminal building. Depending on who you ask (airport authority etc etc) it may be listed as one, two or three terminals; but is really just one large building. The three sections are (on the departure side) are;

DOMESTIC

INTERNATIONAL (but non-USA)

TRANSBORDER (almost all USA, pre-clearance by USA CBP)

on the arrivals side it's; just

DOMESTIC

INTERNATIONAL

The easiest thing to do is just decide on a meeting place within the airport. There's a designated meeting area in the INTERNATIONAL arrivials; generally the easiest place to meet if you're meeting someone from a USA or INTL flight.

*1: Vancouver Airport really has three terminals, MAIN (where you'll be), the SOUTH TERMINAL (very small planes to even smaller communities), FLOAT TERMINAL (for floatplane flights), but unless you live in a community of less than 2000 people, your flight wont arrive/depart from here.

Vancouver's cabs have all been downsized and will only accommodate 3 adults with luggage...however there are some mini-van cabs that will accommodate 4 persons but you may have to wait a few minutes for one.

We are a group of 5. We will be coming in on Amtrak and will need to get to Pan Pacific so it sounds like a cab may not be our best option if we want to stay together. I do know about Canada Line but am hesitant on that since my parents who are in their mid 60's will be with us. We may consider hiring a towncar/SUV that will fit all 5 of us. Any recommendations on a reputable company?

We are a group of 5. We will be coming in on Amtrak and will need to get to Pan Pacific so it sounds like a cab may not be our best option if we want to stay together. I do know about Canada Line but am hesitant on that since my parents who are in their mid 60's will be with us. We may consider hiring a towncar/SUV that will fit all 5 of us. Any recommendations on a reputable company?

The company that has the contract with the airport is AeroCar but there are a couple of others that you could get a price from. My guess would be that a limo is going to cost you something north of $50...likely as much as $80 plus tax and gratuity whereas two cabs will be in the range of $15 each.

www.aerocar.ca/

http://www.starlimousine.com/index.php

http://www.regencylimousine.ca/index.htm

http://www.silverstarlimo.ca/index.html

The company that has the contract with the airport is AeroCar but there are a couple of others that you could get a price from. My guess would be that a limo is going to cost you something north of $50...likely as much as $80 plus tax and gratuity whereas two cabs will be in the range of $15 each.

But the OP is coming from Pacific Station, not the airport. I would just grab two taxis; rather than trying to figure out a limo. It's a short distance, and I'd be surprised if the cost was more than $10/taxi

But the OP is coming from Pacific Station, not the airport. I would just grab two taxis; rather than trying to figure out a limo. It's a short distance, and I'd be surprised if the cost was more than $10/taxi

Actually they are coming from the Pacific Central Station and I was quite aware of that. I only included the YVR contract as an indication of AeroCar's business acumen or reputation.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find it. 8 (4 adults, 4 children - one adult is older and doesn't get around too great) are arriving at YVR on at 10:40 p.m., assuming our flight is on time. We are staying at Pan Pacific for the night, and leaving on the cruise the next morning.

My original plan was to take the Sky Train from YVR to Canada Place. I believe I read somewhere that you could buy tickets at the 7-11 in the airport to avoid the extra fee for buying tickets at the airport. Is this true? Also, does anybody know what the cost of a van taxi is? (and I believe we'd need two of them to transport all of us to the hotel).

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get to the hotel, taking into consideration the cost, the lateness of night, the potential difficulty of the trip with the luggage, etc. Also, once you get off at Canada Place, how far of a walk is it to the hotel, and is it a safe walk?

Thanks for any insight anybody might have. We're trying to save money - but not at the cost of safety and serious inconvenience.

The Canada Line of SkyTain works very well and is safe as is the 2.5 block walk from Waterfront Station to the Pan Pacific; even at night. Yes you can buy a book of 10 commuter tickets at either the Pharmasave or 7-11 at the airport at a cost of $31.50 (CDN). You will have to be able to handle all of your own luggage and the senior will have to be able to handle the walk which is level.

For the 8 of you and your luggage you will need 2 mini-van cabs and the trip from the airport to the hotel will run you about $35 per cab.

Yes you can buy a book of 10 commuter tickets at either the Pharmasave or 7-11 at the airport at a cost of $31.50 (CDN).

Will the 10 commuter tickets be all we need - we can use 8 for this trip, and then 2 for the return trip after the cruise, and buy the other 6 at the station on our way back? Or do we need two commuter tickets per person?

(I read somewhere that it was more than a regular ticket, but I could be mistaken). And, do you know if the 7-11 is open late at night?

Thank you so much for your help!

The Canada Line of SkyTain works very well and is safe as is the 2.5 block walk from Waterfront Station to the Pan Pacific; even at night. Yes you can buy a book of 10 commuter tickets at either the Pharmasave or 7-11 at the airport at a cost of $31.50 (CDN). You will have to be able to handle all of your own luggage and the senior will have to be able to handle the walk which is level.

For the 8 of you and your luggage you will need 2 mini-van cabs and the trip from the airport to the hotel will run you about $35 per cab.

Is there a place near the Amtrak station that commuter tickets can be purchased?? If the walk from Waterfront Station to Pan Pacific is level, my parents may be able to handle it instead of getting a cab. We each plan to have 1 large rolling suitcase with us so I am thinking we could handle a two block walk even if hubby and I have to roll my parents bags for them. I was just concerned with having to go uphill, etc.

Will the 10 commuter tickets be all we need - we can use 8 for this trip, and then 2 for the return trip after the cruise, and buy the other 6 at the station on our way back? Or do we need two commuter tickets per person?

(I read somewhere that it was more than a regular ticket, but I could be mistaken). And, do you know if the 7-11 is open late at night?

Never mind - I see that 10 2 zone tickets are the $31.50. One more question - both the 7-11 and pharmasave are in the domestic terminal, but I assume we'll be arriving in either the international or u.s. terminal - will I be able to get there to the other terminal to buy the tickets while the rest of them wait for luggage?

Personally I won't use the SkyTrain or walk in that part of town in the evening or at night. You are better to use a taxi especially if your parents are there mid 60's.

Certainly you can use the two remaining tickets on your return and just pay the cash fare for the other six of you. For the return you may care to give the tickets to the adults as children under 13 and seniors travel for $2.50, in fact everyone does on the weekends and everyone does after 6:30 pm. The 7-11 at YVR is open 24/7.

Never mind - I see that 10 2 zone tickets are the $31.50. One more question - both the 7-11 and pharmasave are in the domestic terminal, but I assume we'll be arriving in either the international or u.s. terminal - will I be able to get there to the other terminal to buy the tickets while the rest of them wait for luggage?

Didn't see this post before I replied and have just tried posting a long reply that got dropped and lost:mad:. So here is the short answer, because of customs procedures you won't be able to rush ahead, you need to accompany your luggage through customs. The domestic, international and US terminals are just one large building so getting from one area to the next is no trick.

Is there a place near the Amtrak station that commuter tickets can be purchased?? If the walk from Waterfront Station to Pan Pacific is level, my parents may be able to handle it instead of getting a cab. We each plan to have 1 large rolling suitcase with us so I am thinking we could handle a two block walk even if hubby and I have to roll my parents bags for them. I was just concerned with having to go uphill, etc.

According to transit there is a shop called "City Stop" at 187 Terminal Ave, which is just across Main street from the Pacific Central Station, which sell the tickets. Maybe someone could confirm this.

Personally I won't use the SkyTrain or walk in that part of town in the evening or at night. You are better to use a taxi especially if your parents are there mid 60's.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however, those 3 blocks with the transit station, the high end hotels, night life and convention centerers are likely one of the safest areas in the city to walk. There are places that I don't recommend to visitors after dark....but that is certainly not one of them.

Edited by Putterdude