Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hi,

We are cruising out of Vancouver but since we have family in Victoria, we want to spend some time with them. If we decided to take the ferry into Vancounver the morning of the cruise, what would be the best way to make it from the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal to Canada Place?

Grab the #620 bus at the ferry terminal, which goes to Bridgeport Station, then Skytrain from there to Waterfront (use the Granville St exit @ Waterfront). Cost $5; vs paying $12 with the coach lines, and still having to get from Pacific Station.

Once the cruise season begins Pacific Coach Lines will be running one bus daily from Victoria to Canada Place. It will depart Victoria at 9:30 am. The coach can be picked up on the ferry but does require an advance reservation to do so. If each of you have say, a bag and a carry on this is much more convenient then having to schlep your luggage a couple of times. While the Canada Line from Bridgeport was designed for luggage transit buses are not. Here is a link to PCL, however the spring schedule is not up yet, I phoned them for this information. link

If you coming directly from Victoria. There is a bus that goes to the ferry and then the cruise ship terminals before going to the bus terminal. You can reserve seats on this bus.:)

You are correct, that would the one that departs Victoria at 9:30 am and operates during the cruise season.

You are correct, that would the one that departs Victoria at 9:30 am and operates during the cruise season.

Thanks for the info...we are only cruising in Sep 2012 so have plenty of time for planning. The bus directly from Victoria seems like our best option but we are only cruising out of Vancouver on Sep 18th so it may not be available then since it's the end of the cruising season. I'll definately be looking into it once we get closer to our cruising date.

Thanks again...

Thanks for the info...we are only cruising in Sep 2012 so have plenty of time for planning. The bus directly from Victoria seems like our best option but we are only cruising out of Vancouver on Sep 18th so it may not be available then since it's the end of the cruising season. I'll definately be looking into it once we get closer to our cruising date.

Thanks again...

It depends a lot on where you're starting from in Victoria, if your friends will drop you at the ferry etc etc. Having lived in Victoria for 30 years; and having done the ferry crossing every weekend for a 5 year stint before moving to Vancouver, I can tell you every trick there is.

The city buses from the ferry to Bridgeport are nice; longer haul buses, and there is a place to put some luggage at the front, (plus putting it in front of you for the front seats isn't tough).

Thanx to all the locals for the incredible amount of info on this thread!!! I was sick this weekend so I read the entire thing!! Do I get a special sticker? ;)

We are on our WONDERful cruise 8-9-11, with a pre-cruise plan for 3 nights Victoria and then 3 nts Vancouver.

I have only seen a couple of mentions of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel - I would love your opinion of it if you have time.

If, say, I could book Pacific Rim for the same price as Pan Pacific, which would you recommend?

We are a family of 4 - me, DH, DD14 & DD8.

Again, thank you for all your insights, directions, suggestions, etc!!!

The reason you don't read much about the Pacific Rim is that it is just a year old...about 12.5 months, it open just prior to the Winter Olympics. It is a great hotel located just a smidgen west of Canada Place and its sister property the Fairmont Waterfront. Your question is an interesting one but I think with your family, you are cruise focused, you will have a fair amount of luggage....I would stay at the Pan Pacific but you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Thanx to all the locals for the incredible amount of info on this thread!!! I was sick this weekend so I read the entire thing!! Do I get a special sticker? ;)

We are on our WONDERful cruise 8-9-11, with a pre-cruise plan for 3 nights Victoria and then 3 nts Vancouver.

I have only seen a couple of mentions of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel - I would love your opinion of it if you have time.

If, say, I could book Pacific Rim for the same price as Pan Pacific, which would you recommend?

We are a family of 4 - me, DH, DD14 & DD8.

Again, thank you for all your insights, directions, suggestions, etc!!!

If you can get them for the same price, the Pan Pacific is co-located with the cruise terminal, which reduces the walk to the cruise terminal to an elevator ride, but really it's not far from the Pacific Rim

Many Thanks for the info Dennis and putter dude

Am homing in on options and now have final two apartments..

One 3 bed townhouse in athletes village.. Ontario street .. Newish with access to pool but looking at street view on google .. Not so sure on area .. Probably seduced by the pool

Second option is 3 bed unit 1865 w 13th in Kitsilano. Looking at Kitsilano, it seems to have a nice vibe about it.. Not too sure on transport options though

Any thoughts on these options..

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the same cruises:)

Things to do:

• walk over an see the Olympic cauldron which is just to the west of Canada Place.
  • take walk into historic Gastown...the shops probably won't be open until 9:30 or 10.
  • walk over to Harbour Centre and go up on the Vancouver Lookout.
  • walk over to Waterfront Station, take the SeaBus across Vancouver's harbour, Burrard Inlet, to the Lonsdale Quay and wander around the market there.
  • walk over to Waterfront Station and take a #50 bus to the festival market at Granville Island...shops again probably won't be in full swing until after 9 am.

Yes, we are on the same cruises. I'm going solo for 2 reasons: my DH does not like cruising like I do and I'm on my way to Elite status and thought these 2 cruises would be perfect for going solo.

I'm hoping to stay onboard the Golden as long as I can, if the weather is bad when we get to Vancouver. If the weather is nice, then I'll get off and walk around until we can board the Sapphire.

I guess I should post on the roll calls. See you in May!

Hello & Thanks for all your helpful advice! We are arriving on the 10:50 p.m. train from Bellingham and will need to get at least 8 (possibly more) people from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the Hampton Inn on Robson. I checked into a private limo/bus and if everyone goes the Amtrak/Hampton Inn route it might be worth it for ease of group transportation.

What other options are there - can we reserve a taxi van (or several)? Don't think I want to try the Sky Train with that many + luggage + our Sr. mom's after traveling all day...

Thanks!

Hello & Thanks for all your helpful advice! We are arriving on the 10:50 p.m. train from Bellingham and will need to get at least 8 (possibly more) people from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the Hampton Inn on Robson. I checked into a private limo/bus and if everyone goes the Amtrak/Hampton Inn route it might be worth it for ease of group transportation.

What other options are there - can we reserve a taxi van (or several)? Don't think I want to try the Sky Train with that many + luggage + our Sr. mom's after traveling all day...

Thanks!

A stretched limo may handle 8 of you with luggage. You other alternative is 2 mini-van cabs which will handle 4 of you. You may find 2 such vans waiting in front to the station but if not phone on one the house phones and specifically request 2 mini-vans. Your cab fare will run about $15 per van.

Edited by Putterdude

Hello! Our final plans seem to be that we are staying in Seattle for several nights and taking the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of our cruise, taking a taxi to the port, and directly embarking the cruise (Carnival Spirit) at that time. Is there a gift shop where the train stops or at the port which might offer us a few Vancouver souvenirs ~ we would be looking for the obligatory refrigerator magnet, a hat for my dad, and a hooded sweatshirt.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

There is a gift shop in both Pacific Central Station and at Canada Place but I have no idea of the inventory they carry. You could check you luggage with the porters at Canada Place and walk east a few block on Cordova St. into Gastown where you will find any number of gift shops.

Hello! Our final plans seem to be that we are staying in Seattle for several nights and taking the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of our cruise, taking a taxi to the port, and directly embarking the cruise (Carnival Spirit) at that time. Is there a gift shop where the train stops or at the port which might offer us a few Vancouver souvenirs ~ we would be looking for the obligatory refrigerator magnet, a hat for my dad, and a hooded sweatshirt.

Waterfront Centre, an underground mall underneath the Fairmont Waterfront (and across the street from Canada Place) would fit the bill perfectly for you. There's a couple of touristy stores in there (along w/ a food fare -- buy a Tim Horton's mug for true authentic Canada).

There is a gift shop in both Pacific Central Station and at Canada Place but I have no idea of the inventory they carry. You could check you luggage with the porters at Canada Place and walk east a few block on Cordova St. into Gastown where you will find any number of gift shops.

I didn't even think about that.. what an excellent idea! Thank you! This way we could spend at least an hour or two walking around Vancouver and get on the ship later, when the lines have shortened! We are not scheduled to leave until 5:00 so I'm thinking delaying our embarkation until 2:30 is perfectly acceptable.

Okay... so... how do I get to Gastown from Canada Place, exactly? Will there be some sort of touristy~like sign pointing toward "east" or toward Gastown? :confused:

I didn't even think about that.. what an excellent idea! Thank you! This way we could spend at least an hour or two walking around Vancouver and get on the ship later, when the lines have shortened! We are not scheduled to leave until 5:00 so I'm thinking delaying our embarkation until 2:30 is perfectly acceptable.

Okay... so... how do I get to Gastown from Canada Place, exactly? Will there be some sort of touristy~like sign pointing toward "east" or toward Gastown? :confused:

When you leave Canada Place, just keep left up the ramp to Cordova St, a short block and turn left again. The historial Gastown area begins in about 2 blocks.

http://www.gastown.org/guide/map.html#

Welcome to the first full day of spring and just like winter it is raining here on the west coast of Canada.

Happy Norooz or Nowruz. It`s the Persian new year - coincides with the arrival of spring each year.

Cheers

Dennis

It is cloudy down here in AZ as well and a 100% chance of rain....a full 1/4". We will be leaving here an a little over 3 weeks and this morning I was checking the highway cams in Northern California ..... it doesn't look very springy up there.:eek:

The jet stream is to the south of us so the bulk of these storms now seem to heading into Northern Calif - arriving back just in time for the playoffs - eh - might only be two Canadian teams in the playoffs - the Canucks and Habs - Calgary needs to win the big ones and haven`t been - there last game is against the Canucks.

Got the income tax finished this morning - getting money back so that will help pay for the upcoming cruise - to keep this on theme - it was a year ago today that the Paralympics ended with a great closing ceremony in Whistler and I was getting ready to return to civilization in the big city.

Time to work on some of the excursions for the Panama Canal cruise.

Cheers

Dennis