Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Is this our best option for touring the city? What about if we want to go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain?

Has anybody stayed in two different hotels during their pre or post cruise stay in Vancouver? We're thinking about booking the 1st night near the airport and then moving downtown for the next 2 nights. Just wondering how much of an inconvenience it is. My reason for asking is that I want a 5* hotel, but can only get it for 2 of the 3 nights. We're going to book through Hotwire.

Thanks,

Lisa

Is this our best option for touring the city? What about if we want to go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain?

I would take a look at tripadvisor before deciding to use Big Bus.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154943-d1503750-Reviews-Big_Bus_Hop_on_Hop_Off-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

Seems like a good choice only if you have all day with nowhere to go.

We plan to buy a $9 day pass that is good for the Skytrain from the airport to our hotel , then we can use it on city buses and the seabus to get to where we want to go.

Other than friends picking you up or taxi (yikes, getting a taxi on a cruise day) how can we get to Oakridge area? We would like to catch Canada Line but not sure what service is available to leave the pier.

Other than friends picking you up or taxi (yikes, getting a taxi on a cruise day) how can we get to Oakridge area? We would like to catch Canada Line but not sure what service is available to leave the pier.

From the pier to Oakridge, just take the Canada Line. Walk one block ahead, and 2 left from Canada Place to Waterfront Station (don't take the escalator you walk past, that puts you on the platform for the wrong lines). Oakridge/41st is a single zone Skytrain ticket $2.50, and about 15 mins from downtown.

If I understand your question, if you can handle your own luggage and can walk the 2.5 blocks over to Waterfront Station you can take the Canada Line to the Oakridge Station at 41st and Cambie Sts. which is in the heart of the Oakridge area. Your fare will be $2.50 ($1.75 if a senior). Otherwise it will be a cab and your fare will be about $20...with the Canada Line cab waits at Canada Place have been reduced dramatically unless you are there one of those days when there are 3 ships tied up.

Ballantyne pier is in the secure industrial part of the port and therefore access is limited - take a cab the short distance from the pier to Canada Place and then catch the Canada Line to Oakridge.

In the attached picture you can see how close Ballantyne is to Canada Place as that is the Norwegian Star berthed there last weekend but because of its location access is difficult.

Hope this helps answer your question

Cheers

Dennis

DSC07533.jpg.b72a2b29301bd1fd44428eee4915ebb0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Vancouver a couple of days before our cruise and I am wondering what you think would be the best/most economical way for me to call my elderly parents each day back home in the states, since we don't have an international cell phone plan.

In my area, pay phones are practically non-existant now and so I was wondering how it was there? I could purchase an international calling card and use it.....or should I just make the quick calls from the hotel's phone?

We haven't traveled internationally much so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks for your kindness,

Sheila

Hi I am back for some more advice from the experts. Please help me decide what to do with our day and a half in Vancouver. Which should we do in the half day and what things to do with a full day? We are wanting to see the Suspension bridge [Capilano?] and Stanley park, Granville island, Chinatown, Gastown, and I know I am forgetting something. Anyway we bought the Groupon deal for the Hop on and Off Bus and I am just not sure how much time everything will take. We arrive at 11:30am to YVR and the we are staying at the pan Pacific. Anybody want to help me plan my days for Sightseeing?:confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We will be in Vancouver a couple of days before our cruise and I am wondering what you think would be the best/most economical way for me to call my elderly parents each day back home in the states, since we don't have an international cell phone plan.

In my area, pay phones are practically non-existant now and so I was wondering how it was there? I could purchase an international calling card and use it.....or should I just make the quick calls from the hotel's phone?

Sheila

I would buy a phone card. You can purchase them at almost any convenience store. Avoid using the hotel phone for long distance calls - they charge exorbitant rates.

Edited by ell52

I will post this here as I can`t remember which of the local threads the issue was brought up - but the IGA on Burrard near the Sutton and Sheraton is no longer selling bus tickets - I said I would check and see where the closest locations are - they are a couple blocks either way at the 7 -11 in the downtown core.

Also - sometime ago there was also a post inquiring about the Burrard Motor Inn on Burrard and I stated that it was closed and undergoing a renwenal - it has now reopened.

Cheers

Dennis

Sheila

You don't need an international plan to use your cell phone in Canada.

Just check with your cell provider to see if they list a compatiable provider.

Most big provider in Canada will support most US providers . I used a Telus

phone in Florida :cool:a few years ago with no problem. JUST DON'T turn it until

you need it.

Hi I am back for some more advice from the experts. Please help me decide what to do with our day and a half in Vancouver. Which should we do in the half day and what things to do with a full day? We are wanting to see the Suspension bridge [Capilano?] and Stanley park, Granville island, Chinatown, Gastown, and I know I am forgetting something. Anyway we bought the Groupon deal for the Hop on and Off Bus and I am just not sure how much time everything will take. We arrive at 11:30am to YVR and the we are staying at the pan Pacific. Anybody want to help me plan my days for Sightseeing?:confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am a big proponent of using a hop-on/off bus for a first-time overview of Vancouver. We used it our first time there (and second) and feel we had an excellent indoctrination. You can get to most of the well-known spots you mentioned (Stanley Park, Chinatown, Granville Island), or do a full round and then decide where you want to hop off.

To get to the suspension bridge or Grouse Mountain, hop off at Canada Place and head east to the Waterfront Station. There you can take the seabus to North Vancouver (a good trip all by itself) and catch a city bus.

While at Granville Island, be sure to do a little cruise on one of the mini-ferries on False Creek.

I can hardly wait to get back to Vancouver!

We are planning to go to Capilano in September. We will leave directly from the Pan Pacific (where we are staying). What is the best time to go to Capilano? One of my co-workers reminded me that Capilano is a rainforest and she suggested going around noon because it can often be foggy in Capilano. She also said we could expect to be there about 4 hours. DH and I are planning to leave around 9:30 or 10. I'm open to suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have read all the posts but that was about 4 months ago, so I am so sorry if my questions are going to be redundant ( I should know better to try to rely on my memory)

We will be flying into Vancouver Airport and staying at the Pan Pacific before our cruise. We will be 18 people with one being in a wheelchair. We would like to go to Stanley Park, Capilano Bridge, Gastown, ChinaTown, plus some mall nearby that my sister says is huge. We would also need to get from Canada Place to the airport. We would like to do all this using mass transit. The wheelchair is collapsible and my mom is able to walk up the couple of steps on and off the bus. We will be there for 2 days. Should we buy daypasses? Will that be good enough to get to all these places or will we be crossing zones? Also where in the airport could we buy the day passes? Also someone said that there are luggage carts that you can use in the airport and Canada Place for free and you can take them to the train station, that just doesn't seem likely. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hi,

I have read all the posts but that was about 4 months ago, so I am so sorry if my questions are going to be redundant ( I should know better to try to rely on my memory)

We will be flying into Vancouver Airport and staying at the Pan Pacific before our cruise. We will be 18 people with one being in a wheelchair. We would like to go to Stanley Park, Capilano Bridge, Gastown, ChinaTown, plus some mall nearby that my sister says is huge. We would also need to get from Canada Place to the airport. We would like to do all this using mass transit. The wheelchair is collapsible and my mom is able to walk up the couple of steps on and off the bus. We will be there for 2 days. Should we buy daypasses? Will that be good enough to get to all these places or will we be crossing zones? Also where in the airport could we buy the day passes? Also someone said that there are luggage carts that you can use in the airport and Canada Place for free and you can take them to the train station, that just doesn't seem likely.Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Yes, DayPasses are a good idea. They are good throughout all zones on all buses, Skytrain and Seabus for the entire day. You can purchase them at the airport Seven-Eleven.

And, YES, the luggage carts are free and as far as I know, you can take them to the platform level of Canada Line where you just "park" them. Scottbee will know for sure.

Hi, all!

This thread has been amazingly helpful in planning out trip to Vancouver before the cruise. I have a few questions, and I'd greatly appreciate it if you can weigh in!

1) I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just wanted to confirm: We want to go to Stanley Park and just walk to Brockton Point (on the map it looks just a mile and a half from the entrance), but I saw something on the map that says the seawall is one-way. Does this apply to just the biking part, or do pedestrians also have to complete the entire loop? I'm thinking it's just the cyclists, so we can walk to Brockton Point and then turn around and walk back out of the park.

2) We'll be staying in Yaletown on Beatty near Smithe. Can we just walk across the Granville Bridge to Granville Island, or do we have to take public transit?

3) How walkable, exactly, is Vancouver? (I live in NYC, so I'm used to walking!) Are cabs easy to grab? If so, how much are their rates usually? There will be three of us, and I think the buses are $2.50 per person, so I was wondering whether it wouldn't cost all that much for three of us to take a cab.

4) Anyone have any favorite Chinatown restaurants?

Thanks, everyone! I'm so excited for our Vancouver portion of the trip (we'll be there for three days)!

Those are great questions and here are some answers.

1. For walkers the Seawall is two way - here`s a tip when you reach Brockton point continue for a few minutes more and you will come to the Totem Display which you will pass on the way to Brockton - - you can cut back through here to return to the Park Entrance.

2. Yes you can walk across the Granville Bridge - it`s not my favorite - enjoy the Burrard or Cambie much more - but it provides the quickest access to Granville Island - I would suggest that you look into taking the little Aqua ferries - they are fun to ride in - there are a number of stops downtown - from where you are staying the Cambie Bridge is almost at your doorstep - take it across on the east side - nice wide sidewalk and then take the stairs down to the Seawall and continue along the Seawall to Granville Island - then I would take the Aqua Ferry across to the foot of Hornby and then walk the Seawall back you to start point.

3. Vancouver is a very walkable City - we have some 80,000 - 100,00 living in the downtown core and walking is how many of us get around. If you think that you might want to bus it - buy the $9.00 all day pass - taxis can be plentiful unless it is a cruise ship morning when they are all heading for Canada Place. Don`t take taxis enough to give an opinion on there costs.

4. Some of the other locals will be along with suggestions on Chinese restaurants but the consenus is the best ones are outside the downtown core.

Hope this helps and enjoy our fine city and your visit

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Hi,

We are staying at the Pan Pacific and we have been told that you call for bellhops and they bring your luggage to the port. Here are my questions, obviously you tip the bellhop then they bring the luggage to the port and give it to the porters but do they tip the porters with money from their tips? Do I give them extra and ask them to give the porters the money? (I know, I am stupidly trusting) I just feel bad that the porters are going to get the bags but no tips. I know I could bring the bags myself too but others in my party want to do this. Thanks again.

Hi,

We are staying at the Pan Pacific and we have been told that you call for bellhops and they bring your luggage to the port. Here are my questions, obviously you tip the bellhop then they bring the luggage to the port and give it to the porters but do they tip the porters with money from their tips? Do I give them extra and ask them to give the porters the money? (I know, I am stupidly trusting) I just feel bad that the porters are going to get the bags but no tips. I know I could bring the bags myself too but others in my party want to do this. Thanks again.

I am about 99% certain that the Pan Pacific bellman do not share their tips with the dockside porters. If you really feel bad you could give one of them a tip as you go thru the Canada Place terminal, however these porters are members of the ILWU and already earn a very high wage...so the loss of a few dollars by way of a tip is not a huge issue.

I am about 99% certain that the Pan Pacific bellman do not share their tips with the dockside porters. If you really feel bad you could give one of them a tip as you go thru the Canada Place terminal, however these porters are members of the ILWU and already earn a very high wage...so the loss of a few dollars by way of a tip is not a huge issue.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.