Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Those are great questions and here are some answers.

1. For walkers the Seawall is two way - here`s a tip when you reach Brockton point continue for a few minutes more and you will come to the Totem Display which you will pass on the way to Brockton - - you can cut back through here to return to the Park Entrance.

2. Yes you can walk across the Granville Bridge - it`s not my favorite - enjoy the Burrard or Cambie much more - but it provides the quickest access to Granville Island - I would suggest that you look into taking the little Aqua ferries - they are fun to ride in - there are a number of stops downtown - from where you are staying the Cambie Bridge is almost at your doorstep - take it across on the east side - nice wide sidewalk and then take the stairs down to the Seawall and continue along the Seawall to Granville Island - then I would take the Aqua Ferry across to the foot of Hornby and then walk the Seawall back you to start point.

3. Vancouver is a very walkable City - we have some 80,000 - 100,00 living in the downtown core and walking is how many of us get around. If you think that you might want to bus it - buy the $9.00 all day pass - taxis can be plentiful unless it is a cruise ship morning when they are all heading for Canada Place. Don`t take taxis enough to give an opinion on there costs.

4. Some of the other locals will be along with suggestions on Chinese restaurants but the consenus is the best ones are outside the downtown core.

Hope this helps and enjoy our fine city and your visit

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis, for the great answers! :) I am very much looking forward to enjoying your fine city!

Hi, all!

<snip>

4) Anyone have any favorite Chinatown restaurants?

Thanks, everyone! I'm so excited for our Vancouver portion of the trip (we'll be there for three days)!

I can't remember the last time I ate at a Chinatown restaurant, other than a quick meal at Kam Gok Yuen (a small, bakery/family-style restaurant frequented mostly by locals). As a member of the Chinese-Canadian community, my opinion is that if you want really good Chinese food, you should seriously consider going uptown or into the suburbs. There is Floata Restaurant in Chinatown, but IMO serves just average food. I guess it also depends on what you are accustomed to.

Better choices: Kirin on Cambie Street is on the Canada Line, as is a plethora of restaurants in Richmond - also accessible via Canada Line. Sun Siu Wah on Main is accessible via the No. 3 bus (there is a Sun Sui Wah in Richmond, too).

I can't remember the last time I ate at a Chinatown restaurant, other than a quick meal at Kam Gok Yuen (a small, bakery/family-style restaurant frequented mostly by locals). As a member of the Chinese-Canadian community, my opinion is that if you want really good Chinese food, you should seriously consider going uptown or into the suburbs. There is Floata Restaurant in Chinatown, but IMO serves just average food. I guess it also depends on what you are accustomed to.

Better choices: Kirin on Cambie Street is on the Canada Line, as is a plethora of restaurants in Richmond - also accessible via Canada Line. Sun Siu Wah on Main is accessible via the No. 3 bus (there is a Sun Sui Wah in Richmond, too).

I'll add a 2nd vote for Kam Gok Yuen; obscure and very very modest, but great food.

Hi,

I often give the crew on the ship hershey chocolates in addition to tips. Can someone please tell me where I can buy bags of hershey chocolate near the Pan Pacific Hotel?

Thank you!

Hi,

I often give the crew on the ship hershey chocolates in addition to tips. Can someone please tell me where I can buy bags of hershey chocolate near the Pan Pacific Hotel?

Thank you!

They will be happier with straight cash.

They will be happier with straight cash.

I agree with you. I always tip above the recommended and when I add chocolate it is like a dollars worth and they always appreciate it. I have sailed on the Disney Cruiseline several times and if you drop something off at guest services such as a pillowcase, picture frame etc. they will get it signed by the "characters". When I do this, I have enclosed cash as a thank you. Last time I did this I was told that they appreciate the cash but it has to be shared with many people, they recommended a couple of bags of chocolate. I don't want to have to carry them from home. That is why I ask about the stores.

I have read this whole thread and I want to thank you and all the vancouverites for all the help and advice you have given me and everyone. It is so valuable to be able to get information from people who know and I know that you have made my trip planning easier.

PoohX2, if you are going to purchase any quantity of chocolate likely the best spot would be London Drugs at the corner of Georgia Granville or Shoppers Drugmart at 586 Granville.

Thank you Putterdude for the information. I also want to thank you for all the advice and information you give to everyone on the boards. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you Putterdude for the information. I also want to thank you for all the advice and information you give to everyone on the boards. It is greatly appreciated.

:o Thanks, I have been feeling a bit burnt out of late and have taken a self-imposed sabbatical for the for the last month or so.

:o Thanks, I have been feeling a bit burnt out of late and have taken a self-imposed sabbatical for the for the last month or so.

I know you haven't been on, you have been missed. I do understand feeling burnt out and you need to take care of you.

The Pharmasave at Granville and W.Hastings is a block closer than either Shoppers Drug or London Drugs, and generally somewhat cheaper (especially than the Shoppers Drug).

The Pharmasave at Granville and W.Hastings is a block closer than either Shoppers Drug or London Drugs, and generally somewhat cheaper (especially than the Shoppers Drug).

Thank you so much and for all the help you have given.

Hi,

I remember reading that you can buy the day pass for the skytrain at a pharmacy in the airport in the domestic terminal. We are arriving at the international terminal and am wondering if we can buy the passes when we get to the skytrain station at the airport?

Thanks again!

Hi,

I remember reading that you can buy the day pass for the skytrain at a pharmacy in the airport in the domestic terminal. We are arriving at the international terminal and am wondering if we can buy the passes when we get to the skytrain station at the airport?

Thanks again!

The passes are only available at the Pharmasave or 7-Eleven at the airport. You can't get them on the station platform - the machines there are only set up to sell individual tickets.

The passes are only available at the Pharmasave or 7-Eleven at the airport. You can't get them on the station platform - the machines there are only set up to sell individual tickets.

Thanks Ell! Is it easy to get to the domestic terminal from the international terminal? Or is there a Pharmasave or 7 -Eleven in the domestic terminal?

Thank you!!

Thanks Ell! Is it easy to get to the domestic terminal from the international terminal? Or is there a Pharmasave or 7 -Eleven in the domestic terminal?

Thank you!!

The domestic, international and US terminals are all in one large building. 7-11 is located on level 2 and the Pharmasave is located on level 1 of the domestic terminal.

The domestic, international and US terminals are all in one large building. 7-11 is located on level 2 and the Pharmasave is located on level 1 of the domestic terminal.

If lose your way (which I doubt), look for one of the volunteer Green Coat Ambassadors (wearing green jackets/vests, of course) who will be more than happy to help.

Thank you!!

Domestic / International / Transboarder are really just three sections of the same building. No idea why YVR deems it necessary to call them separate; I suppose it's because you can't go between the sections post-security, but it's not far from the International arrival area to the 7-11 in the airport

Quick questions- limo or taxi from Airport? What is the best. We will be six from Vancouver airport to the Coastal Coal harbor downtown. Then after cruise we will be 10 from cruise to Coastal coal at the airport.

Any suggestions for a limo service?

Thanks,

Scottbee, Ell and Putterdude,

Thank you all so much for all the answers. I really appreciate it! I feel so much better now about getting the day passes. You all have been invaluable!!

Thanks!