Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

No, they have models of the ships and they throw them in the air.....;)

In all seriousness they seem to try to accommodate ships that are going to be home-ported in Vancouver for the season at Canada Place and the others go to Ballantyne Pier if Canada Place is full. Then size of the ship comes into play. Once they have staked out their respective sides for the season I am sure that the logistics for provisioning and bunkering are much easier for the ships' crews.

Hi,

I have one more question...:o:)...... 6 of us are arriving in Vancouver.... will we find a larger taxi van or 6 pax car service available ? I read an Aerocar reservation iis an extra $50 for a meet + greet. :confused: ( We don't need this).

Getting off the ship.... should I pre - arrange transportation to the airport since 1800 pax are all leaving at the same time? Our flight back to Toronto is at 1:15PM

Thank you.

S

Hi,

I have one more question...:o:)...... 6 of us are arriving in Vancouver.... will we find a larger taxi van or 6 pax car service available ? I read an Aerocar reservation iis an extra $50 for a meet + greet. :confused: ( We don't need this).

Getting off the ship.... should I pre - arrange transportation to the airport since 1800 pax are all leaving at the same time? Our flight back to Toronto is at 1:15PM

Thank you.

S

You may have a wait a few minutes at the airport for a minivan or bigger limo - ask the staff at the taxi/limo queuing area.

Pre-booking on the way back? I wouldn't bother then either. Since you're flying Domestic you only need to be checked in at the airport an hour before your flight, not 2+. Even if you're the last person off the ship you should have more than ample time to get to the airport - you might even have time for a quick walk or tour, especially if you take one of the 'see the city and get dropped at the airport' ones.

Hi,

Thank you.

S

About 17% of our cab fleet is mini-vans which are in the most part fitted out for wheelchairs...however a few have flip down seats in the back which I know will accommodate a 5th pax but I am unsure about a 6th best you ask the starter at the cab line. As for paying the extra $50 for a reservation and a M&G with Aerocar...I wouldn't bother you will find limo lines at both locations.

Hi, had posted this as separate thread but a responder said this might be a good place. Can you advise on the SkyTrain questions below? Thanks!!

Originally Posted by masonpips

Ok, I've done some searching (both on the forums and all over the SkyTrain site). Can someone help me figure best option?

We arrive on a Thursday about 11:15 a.m. We are staying at the Comfort Inn (Nelson Street). We will exit train at City Center and walk. That part I'm all good with!

Options

Option 1:

We have a 14/15 year old daughter/son + 2 adults. As we are arriving mid-day I considered the "day pass" to allow us to jump on/off the bus (or train) to do something in the city for dinner that evening (or at least take the train one more stop to see the port area for the next day's boarding).

The day pass will be $9.75 for the 2 adults and $ 7.50 for the teens? Although they don't have "ID" to prove (DS does have his permit w/age on it) and DD is younger and looks it). I'd have to buy these at 7-11 or PharmaSave in the airport. Total cost = $ 34.50

Option 2:

I buy a FareSaver Adult packet of 10 tickets (2 zone) for $ 31.50 and we use 4 to get to City Center and have 6 left (can use 4 for dinner and walk back or vice versa), is this correct? I need to buy these at the same place as above. Total cost = $ 31.50

Option 3:

I buy a FareSaver Adult 1 zone packet for $ 21.00, upgrade for the ride from the airport (2 zones) for $1.25 per person and have 6 tickets left over as in #2 above. Total cost = $26.00

Option 4:

I pay a single fare price for the 2 adults ($4 + $5 YVR charge) and teens at Concession ($2.75 + $5 fee) for a total of: $33.50. Advantage here: go directly to station, use credit card at station versus finding 7-11/PharmaSave and buying there.

Do I have the options correct?

Can I buy my teens Concession Tickets w/out the GoCard that teens in Vancouver have?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance!

Generally the cruise ship schechdules are available on the Port Metro Vancouver

website in February on the Port's website:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/ShowFile.aspx?VesselName=

This year, the schedule was erroneously reported by another poster, and Holland America and Disney have been docking on the west side, with the East and North berths being a variety of Carnival, Princess, Royal, Norwegian and Celebrity Ships.

Hi, had posted this as separate thread but a responder said this might be a good place. Can you advise on the SkyTrain questions below? Thanks!!

I'll let you make your own choices, but I'll add a couple of things which will influence your decision.

• Once validated, a ticket is good for 90 minutes, so if you wanted to see Canada Place/Waterfront Station prior to getting to your hotel, there's no issue with getting off and back on the Skytrain (and/or buses). You could easily ride Skytrain all the way to Waterfront, then use the same ticket within the 90 minute period to board a bus to your hotel
  • Student fares are only good with a 'Go Card' http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Student-Passes/GoCard.aspx which are issued to BC high school students, so technically your children would qualify, however I rarely see them asked for.

Once validated, a ticket is good for 90 minutes, so if you wanted to see Canada Place/Waterfront Station prior to getting to your hotel, there's no issue with getting off and back on the Skytrain (and/or buses). You could easily ride Skytrain all the way to Waterfront, then use the same ticket within the 90 minute period to board a bus to your hotel

Thanks, we'll have luggage with us on the way in and will have gotten up at 4:30 a.m. Central time so I think we will go to hotel first, dump bags and then IF we want to head to the port we can do it and/or walk back. We purposely haven't scheduled anything definite that day given possible flight delays and/or exhaustion so we can play it by ear.

I'm now leaning towards buying the FareSaver and having the extras to use either later that night OR to ride the one station down w/luggage on Friday to board. Given all the helpful info on how to get from Waterfront to the port (and that we are generally healthy, able-bodied people) this seems a little more "fun" than a taxi. It's all about the journey!

Thanks again

Thanks, we'll have luggage with us on the way in and will have gotten up at 4:30 a.m. Central time so I think we will go to hotel first, dump bags and then IF we want to head to the port we can do it and/or walk back. We purposely haven't scheduled anything definite that day given possible flight delays and/or exhaustion so we can play it by ear.

I'm now leaning towards buying the FareSaver and having the extras to use either later that night OR to ride the one station down w/luggage on Friday to board. Given all the helpful info on how to get from Waterfront to the port (and that we are generally healthy, able-bodied people) this seems a little more "fun" than a taxi. It's all about the journey!

Thanks again

Hi! I wrote a reply on your original thread post. I do you want to add that much of the skytrain from the airport to your stop downtown or waterfront station (the last stop, the one near the port) is underground, not in the sky. The sky portion will be from the airport, across the bridge into Vancouver. Then it heads underground. A cool seat for kids (or adults) is the front seat looking forward. You can see the route as you go through the underground portion! Good luck!

We plan to take the SkyTrain from the airport to our hotel upon arrival at YVR. I appreciate all the information this CC thread has provided!

My question this morning relates to what alternatives are available at the airport should we make a last minute decision to take ground transportation versus the train. Since there are 5 of us, I understand that there are vans available as a taxi.

I also have read about the possibility of a limo also being available at the airport if we were to want that option. Is this correct and any tips/info on how that can be arranged?

We plan to take the SkyTrain from the airport to our hotel upon arrival at YVR. I appreciate all the information this CC thread has provided!

My question this morning relates to what alternatives are available at the airport should we make a last minute decision to take ground transportation versus the train. Since there are 5 of us, I understand that there are vans available as a taxi.

I also have read about the possibility of a limo also being available at the airport if we were to want that option. Is this correct and any tips/info on how that can be arranged?

Yes there are mini-vans, most are fitted out to be handicap accessible however some have a flip down seat in the back that will accommodate a 5th passenger. I read recently that now 19% of our cab fleet are mini-vans so while you may have to wait a extra minute of two they are available. You fare will run about $35.

There will be a line of limos at the curb and a 6 pax limos and depending where you are going downtown the fare will run $53 or $66 plus tax and gratuity, this fare is a flat rate.

Yes there are mini-vans, most are fitted out to be handicap accessible however some have a flip down seat in the back that will accommodate a 5th passenger. I read recently that now 19% of our cab fleet are mini-vans so while you may have to wait a extra minute of two they are available. You fare will run about $35.

There will be a line of limos at the curb and a 6 pax limos and depending where you are going downtown the fare will run $53 or $66 plus tax and gratuity, this fare is a flat rate.

Thanks! That is the exact information that I need.

Since this board was so much help when my DH and I cruised out of Vancouver, I thought I'd get on and ask for some advice. My daughter and I are coming to Vancouver for the weekend (thought we'd take advantage of her internship at WWU in Bellingham) and I got a great price on the Coast Plaza Hotel at the end of June. I have no problems with the location as we are not schlepping bags to Canada Place, just spending more time in a town I fell in love with when my husband and I spent a few days here prior to our Alaskan cruise. We are going to do the HOHO trolley to get acclimatized to the area. Now for the ??'s We will be there on a weekend - are any of the food trucks open then? We like sushi so are there any recommended places on Denman? Willing to walk quite a ways but will probably be a little late getting into town Friday night (depending on the border crossing times). I think we are going to spend a lot of time in Stanley Park, but I do want to have a drink or dinner somewhere where we can watch the boats head out to Alaska. And I liked Yaletown and Gastown when there before. I'm trying to interest her in cruising and I think it will be fun. Is Steamworks the best place for that? We are not on any major budget, but I am interested in one really nice dinner (50 -60 pp w/o drinks) and perhaps some fun DD&D/Eat St. type of places. My DH isn't into Italian so we hope to take advantage of our mother/daughter time to get some tasty food! Seafood, Korean whatever you think. The restaurants near English Bay are they good? Breakfasts are a question also. Lunches look to be taken care of at a Farmers market or at the Granville market. Thanks for any help/advice. The people on this board made my pre-cruise time in Vancouver very special and I hope to share this with my daughter.

Breaking down your qs to answer them in order:

We will be there on a weekend - are any of the food trucks open then?

Yes, most all of them are open at least on Saturdays - you can check here for which trucks are open.

We like sushi so are there any recommended places on Denman?

Can't personally vouch for, but have heard that Tanpopo is good for an AYCE place (personally I go to Cactus Club for my raw fish kick in that neck of the woods, they offer some excellent carpaccio & ceviche dishes).

...I do want to have a drink or dinner somewhere where we can watch the boats head out to Alaska. Is Steamworks the best place for that?

Steamworks does have a window, and you can see one side of Canada Place from it, but if you want to actually see the ships leave you'll need to be eating very early - most depart by 5pm. Mill Marine Bistro probably has the most open view of the ships coming & going.

We are not on any major budget, but I am interested in one really nice dinner (50 -60 pp w/o drinks) and perhaps some fun DD&D/Eat St. type of places. My DH isn't into Italian so we hope to take advantage of our mother/daughter time to get some tasty food! Seafood, Korean whatever you think.

Dinery stuff - Save On Meats is as dinery a diner as you'll find downtown (though Hastings can be a bit iffy, it's usually fine as far along as Save On).

La Taqueria is a personal favourite in the dirt cheap great food category.

The Cardero Bottega is very close to you and does outrageously good sandwiches - totally off the tourist track too.

Nice Meal - Cactus Club (linked above) is IMHO the best restaurant close to your hotel, although Rain City Grill gets very consistent reviews. Both should do you well on the good seafood front.

Banana Leaf (Malaysian) consistently wins local 'best of' awards.

Kingyo is your closest Izakaya, rated well, though I prefer Guu which is abit further from you.

Korean - you could try AYCE 'make it yourself' BBQ at Shabusen. It's fun and worth doing if you never have before! In terms of high quality Korean food though, I can only think of Pidgin (they have several Korean dishes on - their Ssam is the best I've ever had). Pros & cons - there are still often protesters outside (long story short - some locals don't like fancy restaurants opening in a poor part of town) but they've added a prix fixe menu to entice people in. $55 per person for the full meat-a-tarian version, and worth every penny...

Italian - my favourites are all at the Yaletown end. Lupo, Cibo, Cioppinos, Q4 al Centro.

The restaurants near English Bay are they good?

Some are, some aren't, like anywhere else. There's sometimes a jacked-up price for the view but I've never had terrible food anywhere nearby. Some of those I listed above are between your hotel & English Bay (CCC, Kingyo, Rain City, Banana Leaf).

Breakfasts are a question also.

Sorry, never eat brekky near English Bay - a metric buttload of cafes all along Denman though, I'm sure you'll find something decent!

Lunches look to be taken care of at a Farmers market or at the Granville market.

The Bottega I mentioned above has all sorts of nice deli stuff to make sandwiches/picnics yourself. Granville Island you can't go wrong with. Farmers Markets are few & far between though - here's the list. Saturdays there's one not too far from your hotel.

...I do want to have a drink or dinner somewhere where we can watch the boats head out to Alaska. Is Steamworks the best place for that?

Steamworks does have a window, and you can see one side of Canada Place from it, but if you want to actually see the ships leave you'll need to be eating very early - most depart by 5pm. Mill Marine Bistro probably has the most open view of the ships coming & going.

Another suggestion for a restaurant/pub would be Mahony and Sons. It's at the new convention centre and has a perfect view of the ships leaving if you sit out on the patio.

On a nice evening a sit on the patio of Cardero's or a west facing table will give you a view of the cruise ships leaving.

Around the corner from your hotel on Beach Ave. there is the Boathouse, and the Cactus Club ....there is no real view of the cruise ships but you can get some nice sunsets. However, I do agree with Mahoney & Sons and the new Cactus Club have some great cruise ship views.

Once again this board comes through! Awesome ideas! We are driving up so can travel but I so enjoyed the Park and the Seawall we were happy to be booked at the Plaza. I know the boats leave early was forgetting you all don't do too much in the happy hour style. Was going to snack and drink and head out for a nice dinner after walking around some more. I'll be looking up all your suggestions. Thanks so much!

Hi kjpabl, I'm also staying at the Coast Plaza at the end of June. That area is one of my favourites in Vancouver. There are a ton of restaurants near there, one my wife and I love is Legendary Noodle. It's on the east side of Denman about two blocks north of the hotel. It's a traditional hand pulled Chinese noodle house where you can watch the chef stretch your noodles. It's very authentic which means not like a typical Chinese restaurant. It's probably best for lunch and dirt cheap. There are some good sushi places along Denman but I forget the names. There is a very popular (good but perhaps slightly overrated) Greek place about 6 blocks east on Davie called Stepho's. People lineup for an hour to get into the place. Be warned it's an uphill walk.

Since you have a car - here's an idea - drive into Stanley Park and stop at Prospect Point - you will then see the ships sail under the Lions Gate Bridge - you will have to pay for parking - then continue around Stanley Park drive and return to your hotel or dinner location.

Just a thought

Cheers

Dennis

Hi,

We will be arriving at the Vancouver airport around 1 pm on a Saturday. We are staying at the Blue Horizon and heading out on a cruise the next day. My plan when we get to the hotel is to first go to a nearby drugstore for some last minute sundries and water to take on the ship with us. I believe that I remember seeing that there is one within a block or two of the hotel.

I think that it will be too late in the day by that point to do a HOHO tour (I'm surprised that they stop running so early in the summer), so I was interested in going to Granville Island. My understanding is that it will be a good place to do some people watching, enjoy some fresh air and water views and get a bite to eat. I'm hoping there will be some street performers, as well. Is this an accurate assesment? Any advice on places to eat dinner on Granville Island?

Also, will there be a place on Granville Island where we can easily catch a taxi back to our hotel?

Thanks!