Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We will be arriving in Vancouver on the Amtrak train and staying at the Pan Pacific. Maybe it has been posted on here but, I cannot find the answer. We are in our late 60's, early 70's and reasonably good health. Is it walkable to the Pan Pacific from the Amtrak station with rolling luggage ? If not, what is the best form of transportation to get to the hotel. Thank you for any advice you can give.

We will be arriving in Vancouver on the Amtrak train and staying at the Pan Pacific. Maybe it has been posted on here but, I cannot find the answer. We are in our late 60's, early 70's and reasonably good health. Is it walkable to the Pan Pacific from the Amtrak station with rolling luggage ? If not, what is the best form of transportation to get to the hotel. Thank you for any advice you can give.

While it's technically walkable, it's neither advisable nor necessary when there are reasonably inexpensive alternatives:

Cheapest: Take the skytrain from Main Street station to Waterfront Station. Main Street station is just across the park in front of Pacific Central Station (the Amtrak station). It's an equally easy walk from Waterfront Station to the Pan Pacific. Fare: $2.75pp

Taxi: There will be plenty in front of the train station to take you directly to the hotel. Fare: Approx $10+, depending on traffic.

Edited by ell52

Just found out that Grouse Mountain is having an event the day we plan on touring it - "Whistler Water One Climb", June 14, 2014.

How much of an impact will this have on crowds, etc.? Looks significant, but maybe they'll be in their area and we'll be in ours and it won't be a big deal. Any insights?

Just found out that Grouse Mountain is having an event the day we plan on touring it - "Whistler Water One Climb", June 14, 2014.

How much of an impact will this have on crowds, etc.? Looks significant, but maybe they'll be in their area and we'll be in ours and it won't be a big deal. Any insights?

Last year there were 1700 participants. In comparison to the daily average visitors to Grouse Mountain (approx 3200) that's >50% more folks than usual on top of the mountain just for the actual grinders, and each of them gets to bring someone along at a discounted rate (and since many of the participants were minors there's a good chance of another parent and siblings...).

There is a separate area for the post-climb party, but only until 2pm and discounted tickets for participants to ride the chairlift etc. mean they will spread out across the regular attractions too. Personally I would rejig plans to go up on a different day unless this is the only day you're in town that the weather is likely to be clear.

We all can get fooled by statistics, the 3,200 average noted in Martin's post includes the ski season where obviously there are going to be more visits and this skews the average. I think the the more telling stat is that about 800 people do the Grind daily during its season, with obviously more than 800 people doing it on a weekend. So the question is will twice as many grinders and some of their f&f going impact the mountain that is used hosting more than 3,000 patrons during the ski season? Obviously it will have some impact but will it spoil one's enjoyment of the day.....personally I wouldn't let the event spoil my day.....but I do concur with the advice of only going if it is a nice day.

Pretty much all the information here is wrong.

My apolgies -- my fault for sitting at a lap top and typing without thinking.

I have cursed the Howe Street Entrance to the trains many times, and of course walking around the corner to Waterfront Station is the way to go - even if you are not towing luggage.

I travel either Skytrain upon occasion when I want to go into Vancouver. I am fortunate that I can bus from fairly easily from where I live to either Brighouse, Bridge Street or 22nd Street and the time differences to Waterfront is pretty much the same, especially if I choose to park at either Brighouse or the Bridgestreet parkade and all trips are three zone for me. I also qualify for concession fairs and maintain a handful of concession fare day passes, both for convenience and also because they allow me to use buses etc., during the day at no extra cost. Parking in the region of Granville and Georgia can approach $14.00 dollars in the day, and under the QE, which I frequently attend in the evenings, is $10.00 - so for one person, the sky train is cheaper.

That advantage disappears if two or more people share the parking costs. A full days three zone concession ticket is around 7.00 or 7.50 dollars per person. Adult fares are more.

Credit and debit cards at the stations for ticket purchases do not give change. Why would they? In my experience, parking meters etc., in Vancouver require exact change, and do not give change back if too many coins are put into them. For that reason, we carry a change purse stuffed with loonies and toonies in our vehicle. It is less hassle to put the exact change in the slots than to muck about with cards. Try parking in front of the Vancouver Museum on Bard in the Beach night and see what I mean.

If cruisers plan some Vancouver exploration before catching a flight from YVR, I would definitely recommend storing baggage in a luggage locker and buying full day passes. They work on the seabus, seabusses and skytrains tthrough out Greater Vancouver - and cruisers can create a self tailored flexible pop-off hop on experiences of their own choosing while seeing the city.

Anyway way, I did blow much of the previous information, very badly. I have to learn not say or type anything when falling asleep. Thanks for the corrections. You are indeed correct.

I wish I had never let my self tyoe that earlier response.

rscbc

Edited by RSCBC
error correction

We will visit Vancouver pre-cruise for one day and post cruise one and a half days. Ship arrives 8 am and we leave Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. from YVR. How much Canadian money would you recommend to carry - for tipping, taxi cab and small incidentals. Should we just use USD instead? Our credit cards charge foreign fees between 0 - 3%. Our Discover card will be used for purchases only since there is zero foreign fees. I want to use our bank debit card in the atm for cash. We are a family of 5. Our bank - Wells Fargo quoted a $5.00 USD atm fee - but not clear as to the foreign fee for using our debit card. If we use a visa or mc at the ATM, there will be a cash advance fee attached too. Please any suggestions :o

You'll find that almost no one accepts Discover Cards here. More likely to accept Japanese (JCB) cards. As for cash, you're not going to get a good rate so better to get some CAD- maybe $200. Taxis here are small (lots of Toyota Prii) so chances of getting a taxi that will take 5 are slim. They do take CCs though. Just add tips to your CC.

I travel either Skytrain upon occasion when I want to go into Vancouver. I am fortunate that I can bus from fairly easily from where I live to either Brighouse, Bridge Street Bridgeport or 22nd Street and the time differences to Waterfront is pretty much the same, especially if I choose to park at either Brighouse or the Bridgestreet Bridgeport parkade and all trips are three zone Two Zone from all the mentioned stations for me. I also qualify for concession fairs and maintain a handful of concession fare day passes, both for convenience and also because they allow me to use buses etc., during the day at no extra cost. Parking in the region of Granville and Georgia can approach $14.00 dollars in the day, and under the QE, which I frequently attend in the evenings, is $10.00 - so for one person, the sky train is cheaper.

That advantage disappears if two or more people share the parking costs. A full days three zone concession ticket is around 7.00 or 7.50 dollars per person. Adult fares are more.

Credit and debit cards at the stations for ticket purchases do not give change. Ticket machines give change if you're using C$ Why would they?

Anyway way, I did blow much of the previous information, very badly. I have to learn not say or type anything when falling asleep. Thanks for the corrections. You are indeed correct.

Comments in Red

Our group of 5 will be arrive around 10:30 p.m. and between the two options of either a mini-van taxi versus a limo service which would you choose? If both services are operating 24 hours, would it make sense to spend a little more for limo to have the convenience of a waiting car? Per Aerocar a limo would run $65.00 which include the tax prior to gratuity. Any comments, THANKS as alway.:rolleyes::confused:

Our group of 5 will be arrive around 10:30 p.m. and between the two options of either a mini-van taxi versus a limo service which would you choose? If both services are operating 24 hours, would it make sense to spend a little more for limo to have the convenience of a waiting car? Per Aerocar a limo would run $65.00 which include the tax prior to gratuity. Any comments, THANKS as alway.:rolleyes::confused:

You could wait for one of the vans but that wait could be long and after traveling all day, I'm sure you'd rather just get to your hotel. I'd vote for the limo. It will be worth the little extra cost.

Hi everyone. First I must apologize for not reading the full thread so this might already have been asked multiple times.

My parents are driving to Vancouver from Calgary for a 7 day out of Canada Place. Anyhow, besides getting a hotel in downtown are there any other convenient options for parking near the port? We know they can park at the port for about $190 for the week.

We are just trying to see if there are any other options. Thanks.

(Ps we are from Vancouver originally and know the city well just not the parking situation as none of our family have taken an Alaskan Cruise before).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone. First I must apologize for not reading the full thread so this might already have been asked multiple times.

My parents are driving to Vancouver from Calgary for a 7 day out of Canada Place. Anyhow, besides getting a hotel in downtown are there any other convenient options for parking near the port? We know they can park at the port for about $190 for the week.

(Ps we are from Vancouver originally and know the city well just not the parking situation as none of our family have taken an Alaskan Cruise before).

The only other alternative I can think of is the long-term parking lot at YVR. It's a bit cheaper ($14/day), but would also require that they take a shuttle from the lot to airport, then Canada Line to Waterfront Station (for Canada Place). They'd also have to schlepp their bags back and forth, so not sure if it's worth the trouble. I guess they could cab it to and from YVR, but then it would offset any potential $$ savings.

Edited by ell52

We did a stay and park at the Accent Inn in Burnaby last summer. With the one night stay and transfers to and back from the port it was $173. I felt it was a great deal since the parking at the pier is so very high. We did need a place to stay the night prior to leaving so this was a win win for us.

Edited by sept10dsm

We did a stay and park at the Accent Inn in Burnaby last summer. With the one night stay and transfers to and back from the port it was $173. I felt it was a great deal since the parking at the pier is so very high. We did need a place to stay the night prior to leaving so this was a win win for us.

They could book the stay and cruise package the Accent Inn in Richmond. It includes 1 night hotel ,14 days parking and transfers both ways.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought this meant you don't want hotel suggestions? As others have pointed out, a hotel with parking package would be the most convenient and cost effective. Otherwise, my suggestion of the long-term parking lot at YVR is the only alternative I can think of.

In addition to Accent Inns who have properties in both Burnaby and Richmond, in the downtown core a few hotels that offer Stay, Park and Cruise packages. They include Best Western-Downtown, the Hampton Inn & Suites, Executive Park-Vintage Park....you may also care to check to if the Georgian Court offers one. Just out to the core in the West End there is the Coast Plaza.

They probably don't need a hotel but it is an option (the cruise leaves Saturday but they will be driving Friday and stopping somewhere en route like Chilliwack or Abbotsford that night then into downtown Saturday). We're from Richmond originally so will have to check that out. Also interesting about the hotels downtown. Will have to check those out also. I know convenience wise Canada Place best option especially when they dock back in town.

On a different note as I am drawing a blank, how far is it walking from 1) the Canada Line and 2) the sea bus from the north shore?

On a different note as I am drawing a blank, how far is it walking from 1) the Canada Line and 2) the sea bus from the north shore?

The walk from Waterfront station to Canada Place is about 3 blocks and from the SeaBus, through Waterfront Station to Canada Place is just short of 4 blocks.

I wanted to note while I was in Winnipeg this past week I went to the bank there to exchange my USD to CAD. They were going to give me the exchange rate, however since I did not have an account with them they were going to charge me a fee which would have ended up with me paying more for the exchange. I was better off getting dollar for dollar at my hotel or paying with my vis and getting exchange rate (my visa does not have international fees). Does the same hold true in Vancouver with the bank. I went to CIBC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk