Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

While in AZ for the winter I purchase Yellow Tail & Jacob Creek wines on sale, with the 6 bottle discount and the frequent flyer card from Safeway or Smiths (Krogers) for about $5.00 bottle. I also buy Gordons vodka in the 1.75 lt. bottle for as little as $8.88 a bottle. That dear readers is why my heart stops when I make my first purchase each spring here in BC. For instance today I went to our local BC Liquor Store and purchased a 1.14 litre of Alberta Premium Rye Wiskey ("Canadian" for our American cousins) and a 1.14 of Stoli vodka and a 6 pack of beer....the total was just over $80. Now that is just about enough to drive a person to drink.:D

Actually the closest government liquor store would be at Davie and Bute

I should never question the local knowledge of a local Westend tippler but acording to my map the Bute and the Pacific Blvd. store should be about the same distance block wise but as as the block sizes are much smaller going east than west wouldn't the Pac Blvd store be closer; I make it about the equivelent to a block shorter. However I would agree it would be a more level walk to the Bute store. (Now there is some homework for you to do in the morning);)

Thanks so much for the info-- can you give me quick idea of what type of area it is around the Westin Bayshore? Are there shops,cafes, bus stops, etc, that are close, or is it kind off by itself? I understand that the Trolley stops there, but what is the best bet for public transportation?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, one more--do you know of any car rental agencies that are close walking distance from the hotel

There are bus stops on Georgia at about Cardero, about a half block from the Bayshore. White Spot and BC chain of upscale family restaurants, great for brakfast, lunch and light dinners, is located at Georgia and Cardero. There is Cardero's, a marine type pub, which is located less than a block west of the hotel that would be good for dinner. National/Alamo is located in the 1100 blk of W. Georgia, less than 5 block to the east of the Bayshore.

www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

PD - my world gravitates more towards Davie than Yaletown but the hill issue probably seals the deal - also forgot to mention the Marquis wine store: http://www.marquis-wines.com/ in the 1000 block Davie - has a good selection and a friend who buys there says the prices aren't that much higher than the government stores.

Walking across Pacific Bvld is a half a block in itself.

It is interesting that you should mention the Yaletown store as the same friend wondered why there wasn't a government store in Yaletown and was surprised when I told him there was and about where it is.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Ut, its funny you feel that way, I have never cared for Yaletown and could never see it. I think what puts me off is the lack of parking, I know that doesn't bother you urbanites but I get sweaty palms whenever somone says lets do lunch in Yaletown.:)

Ok, So there is a sizable difference (in terms of percentage) for a bottle of wine. I can usually get a bottle of Yellowtail for $6.99US at the Kroger (less if I do like Putterdude and buy 6 at a time).

My next question is, will liquor stores be open October 12th, a holiday or perhaps Sunday (something that is unheard of in these parts - Texas).

Ok, So there is a sizable difference (in terms of percentage) for a bottle of wine. I can usually get a bottle of Yellowtail for $6.99US at the Kroger (less if I do like Putterdude and buy 6 at a time).

My next question is, will liquor stores be open October 12th, a holiday or perhaps Sunday (something that is unheard of in these parts - Texas).

The BC Liquor store at Alberni & Thurlow is open on Sundays and holidays, 11am to 6 pm.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/storelocations?storenum=129

Most all private liquor stores will be open regular hours on the Sunday and Monday that you mentioned.

That is one of the reason that the private stores have become so successful is that they set their hours to serve the public not there workers.

Cheers

Dennis

You must be in one of those "dry" precincts in Dallas which I have always found strange.:)

No, we don't leave in a dry county or town. That wouldn't be an option. We can get beer and wine at the grocerry store 7 days a week but, liqour stores are closed on Sundays in all of Texas. Dry areas are such a pain. You never see that posted on the chamber of commerce website.

I have asked this question on a site, but I'm not sure which one, so I'm sorry if I am asking this again. We are arriving at Ballentyne pier and going to Canada Place pier. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks a million

chloe kitty

Taxi, about $10.

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be many closings of typical tourist attractions and/or restaurants on Oct 12? We were thinking of using the HOHO trolley on that day prior to boarding the ship. We don't have a definite plane formed yet and so could make any adjustments based on holiday closures.

Canadian Thanksgiving will be October 12th, which of course is a holiday but most people observe the day on the Sunday. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that will be closed, most things in Vancouver stay open year round. However you may find that the Vancouver Trolley HOHO will have reduced their frequency from every 10 mins to every 20 mins.

We are coming to Vancouver to pick up a cruise Oct - what transportation is available from the airport to hotels or how much will a taxi cost?

Well that depends on which hotel, and which cruise dock you're using.

If you're staying in the downtown core, there is a subway which runs from the airport all the way to downtown (2 blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal), which is the fastest and cheapest. This thread discusses the subway, where to catch it at the airport etc etc http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1044929

Can you be more specific as to which sailing you are on, and where you're staying?

Your transfer options are: taxi at a cost of about $35, limo at a cost of $39+ 5% tax or our new Canada Line rapid transit line at a cost of $3.75 pp. The new Canada Line is designed to accommodate passengers with luggage but you must be able to handle it yourself and have a resonable degree of mobility to do a little walking with your luggage. It has several stops in the downtown core so if you could tell us which hotel you are staying at we could help you with which station you need to get off at and how far you will be from your hotel.

Your transfer options are: taxi at a cost of about $35, limo at a cost of $39+ 5% tax or our new Canada Line rapid transit line at a cost of $3.75 pp. The new Canada Line is designed to accommodate passengers with luggage but you must be able to handle it yourself and have a resonable degree of mobility to do a little walking with your luggage. It has several stops in the downtown core so if you could tell us which hotel you are staying at we could help you with which station you need to get off at and how far you will be from your hotel.

On the cab cost of $35 does that include tip too? I know the $39 on the limo does not. We're headed there tonight and won't get in close to midnight, and I'm still pondering cab or limo:confused:

Susan :)

On the cab cost of $35 does that include tip too? I know the $39 on the limo does not. We're headed there tonight and won't get in close to midnight, and I'm still pondering cab or limo:confused:

Susan :)

No, tip will be on top of that. $35 should be an outside cost particularly with you arriving so late and with so little traffic at that hour.:)