new budget hotel open in Southampton

bts378

Good Moning,

I have been unable to make a reservation on line with this hotel, I tried calling the hotel direct and the recording indicates the number is no longer working. Anyone know if the hotel is still in business?

Thanks

Good Moning,

I have been unable to make a reservation on line with this hotel, I tried calling the hotel direct and the recording indicates the number is no longer working. Anyone know if the hotel is still in business?

Thanks

That is not good news for us. We are booked in there June 5 to 7th for our cruise.

I am sure there will be no frills at all. I have stayed is less expensive hotels in the UK. They do not have the standards that we do. Their 3 star is a 1 star in US. I would be wary and really want to hear from someone who has stayed there. You need safety, security, comfort in bed and a bath.

We will be coming from Gatwick on the train to Southampton. I think it will be the Central station we go to? How far is it to the DeVere Gran Harbour Hotel. We will be staying there.

We will be coming from Gatwick on the train to Southampton. I think it will be the Central station we go to? How far is it to the DeVere Gran Harbour Hotel. We will be staying there.

Yes, "SOUTHAMPTON CENTRAL" is the station you want. The Grand Harbour Hotel is 1.5 miles http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=southampton+central&daddr=Grand+Harbour+Hotel,+southampton&sll=50.903669,-1.408396&sspn=0.007199,0.023518&ie=UTF8&ll=50.901274,-1.408181&spn=0.014399,0.047035&t=h&z=15

I was able to book using a different computer, I must have something blocking on my computer. Thanks for your help!

Sue:

That is a relief for us. Shower is fine with us even though at home we have a bath and a shower of course and at home I prefer the bath but not that fussy.

I have read the reviews and the place looks adequate. Not in the same class as Hilton by any stretch of the imagination but we have had worse in Europe. Some hotels there have maybe a shower and sink but no toilet in the room. Others have a bidet and a sink but again, no real toilet.

Even a $33.99 hotel in the US we have stayed at has a full bathroom and free breakfast and a pool (outdoors). Obviously, things are not like that in Europe or Great Britain.

In many houses, townhouses, in Holland, there is no bathtub, only the posher homes.

I stayed at the Etap Southampton for 2 nights a couple of weeks ago. My daughter is at university there. Great value, clean, new and bright and will definitely be using it again! :D Yes it's fairly basic......a bit strange having the shower "in the rooom" but it was large and had plenty of hot water and was powerful. The toilet's separate and the sink in the room too. Breakfast was simple but adequate....cereals, croissants, fresh fruit. Any other questions please ask! ;)

If the shower is in the room what sort of privacy does it provide? Is there a safe in the room or do you have to use one at the front desk?

If it is really in the room, would it be possible to splash water all over the room? Sounds really odd to me but I guess in less than 2 weeks, I will find it out for myself.

Not a big deal, we have been married 49 years this year.

Thank you so much for the link to the pictures. Definitely helped seeing it before making a decision.

How far is this hotel from the dock? Last time we stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walker Street I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry. I really don't like Etap. I have no problems with budget hotels but this is so 'budget' for me that it seems depressing. Premier Travel Inn are pretty budget and they seem much more conducive to a good night's sleep for me. Comfortable and clean with no hint of being hemmed in like a battery chicken. Sorry if I rained on anyone's parade but I would rather pay an extra £20/£30 per night for a bigger slice of humanity and health!:rolleyes:

Have you stayed at an Etap hotel infinnity?

The worse budget hotel I've stayed in was Premier Inn Altrincham.....had to climb over the double bed to get to the single bed.....which was squashed between the double bed and the wall! :mad: Shower room was tiny too!

Having experienced all budget hotels I will now opt for Etap! :D

Yes, I have stayed at two Etap hotels and never again, hence the comment! :rolleyes: I really don't mind budget hotels per se but I would, like I said, be prepared to pay a very little amount over an Etap price to receive relative luxury. Premier Travel Inn ticks all the boxes for me and they are very near city centres and motorways. It's horses for courses as they say. Etap are just not for me.

We just returned from our British Isle cruise on the Grand and we stayed at the Etap 2 nights prior to our cruise and we loved it for many reasons. The location is great, in a square with Ibis and Novotel, close to restaurants, in fact, McDonalds and TGIFriday are right behind it.

There is the great mall nearby and you can walk from the train station to it without any problems. The train cost us GBP 17.80 each from Gatwick. Cheaper than the transfers.

As for the day of the cruise, we called a cab and it came right away, took us to the ship and cost less than 7 pounds and we were on board before noon and in our cabin. We had lunch on the Lido deck which was above our cabin.

The rooms in Etap are small but at 32 GNPs for up to 3 people and an all you can eat breakfast for 2.95, you cannot beat the price or the location. The staff was nice, most spoke English and sounded like they were born in the UK and it was good for us. The room had a shower, toilet, sink, soap, TV, chair, small table, no dressers or night table but you can manage with your suitcase.

We just returned from our British Isle cruise on the Grand and we stayed at the Etap 2 nights prior to our cruise and we loved it for many reasons. The location is great, in a square with Ibis and Novotel, close to restaurants, in fact, McDonalds and TGIFriday are right behind it.

There is the great mall nearby and you can walk from the train station to it without any problems. The train cost us GBP 17.80 each from Gatwick. Cheaper than the transfers.

As for the day of the cruise, we called a cab and it came right away, took us to the ship and cost less than 7 pounds and we were on board before noon and in our cabin. We had lunch on the Lido deck which was above our cabin.

The rooms in Etap are small but at 32 GNPs for up to 3 people and an all you can eat breakfast for 2.95, you cannot beat the price or the location. The staff was nice, most spoke English and sounded like they were born in the UK and it was good for us. The room had a shower, toilet, sink, soap, TV, chair, small table, no dressers or night table but you can manage with your suitcase.

We were there the same time and on the same cruise. I agree with Johanna its a good deal for a night or two.

• 2 months later...

Archived