Tell me about Funchal and Madeira....

wesp

Wesley: when we were there we took a ship sponsored tour where we were bussed around the city, then to the top of the hill where we got on little sleds. The sleds were used long ago to transport the grapes down the winding road to the processing plant. Now, it is a tourist attraction. Two people sit on the sled, and men guide the sled down using ropes attatched to the sleds. Then, at the bottom of the hill is the factory, turned into what else? a gift shop selling the Maderia liquors and wines. It is a novel idea. It is a pretty little city, and really a resort type atmosphere. We did notice some really nice restaurants along the waterfront.

Grace

Last spring we were in Madiera. paulo-tours was suggeted to us by friends who had used him before. He picked us up in his taxi and gave us a custom tour of the island. We let him know what we wanted included, and he got us there avoiding traffic and long lines (like at the sledges). He did not require a deposit up front. He charged us 100 eu total for the tour.

Debby

Both Maderia and Funchal have amazing gardens right by the port.

Funchal's is not that large but interesting. Its adjacent to the main shopping area at the port and left (as you get off the ship). If I remember correctly, the walls of the garden come down to the main street. There were stairs you could take.

Maderia's is huge, you can see part of it from the ship. Its multi-tiered and even in the low 70's can be strenuous. If you go, get some local money as there are some places selling drinks. Again, memory says that its to the left as you get off the ship.

Both islands have high sixty to low seventy temps year round so the gardens are always blooming. We're not flower nuts but it is definitely something to see and the cost is $0.00.

If you planned to go to Madeira on your own, How long would it take? How much would the taxi ride be? Or is it a place you can walk to? I would like to see it on my own. What kinds of interesting things should I not miss?

We have been there twice and the Constellation docked right there at the City. There was a shuttle bus we took to the city free and dropped you off right in town. The town is great, we walked to the Madiera wine lodge for wine tasting (I am not a fan of that well known wine I found out!) The town is large and clean and we loved just walking around and shopping. They have a big market there selling leather goods, baskets, liquor, souviners, flowers, it was very enjoyable. It is a very nice city.

I spent a week in Funchal, the capital of Madeira, this time last year and the best thing to do for just a day on the island, apart from perhaps a tour of the island, is to visit the Botanical Gardens.

When you leave the ship, with the sea behind you, walk along the promenade to the right and you will come to a cable car station where you can take a ride up to the Botanical Gardens. You will need about 4 hours up there to see everything. As someone else has said, the town itself is right in front of the dock, so it is easy to walk around. It's an interesting place with an amazing flower, fruit, fish and vegetable market (great for photos), the Madeira wine lodge, an art gallery housed in the old fort at the far end of the promenade and some beautiful public gardens, slightly uphill, to the left of where the ship docks.

It's a very hilly island, full of flowers, very safe with some good restaurants which I don't suppose you will need, but Au Real (yellow blinds, umbrellas), just behind the cable car station, to the right with the sea behind you, is great. Reids is fabulous, of course - you would probably need a taxi to get there as it's uphill and would take probably 25mins to walk.

Hope that is all helpful.

Lynne

We also used Paulo Tours and highly recommend him. It was a wonderful day..so much better than a cruise sponsered crowded bus tour and much more reasonably priced. It was around 100 Euros for 4 people. The sledge ride is not to be missed!!!!!

Lisa

There is an incredibly ugly fish which is exclusive to Madeira called an Espada (Scabbard). If you visit the market you will see plenty of them. Don't be fooled by its looks as it is delicious! The way it is served in Madeira is with hot banana. Although it has a black skin which is stripped off, of course, inside the flesh is wonderful, firm, white and tasty. I never found any bones either, which always deters me from choosing fish. It never cost very much so it won't be an expensive mistake if you don't enjoy it.

If you are only in Madeira once then it's certainly an opportunity you shouldn't miss.

Lynne

If you have not been to Madeira before then this will be an experience you hope will not end. After calling in for a day on several Transatlantic crossings we decided to go for a week in August this year and it was magnificent. So much so that we are going back in September. Your only problem will be that you are only there for a day. There is so much to see and do. In terms of tours then you can either get a local tour, one from the ship or better still utilise a Taxi which are reasonably priced and you can establish a price before you start. I would suggest that your tour should concentrate on Funchal and the west of the island sights. Within this tour you can ask to be taken to the cable car for a ride to the Botanical Gardens and the toboggan rides and be picked up at the drop off point. For the more lively travellers then you could ask to be taken on a Levada walk as there are many of them of varying length situated throughout the island. (Levadas are the irrigation channels for the farming on the island-there are paths alongside used for maintenance purposes)The city of Funchal is very accessible for all and there are many shops and sights to see with some very good historical buildings. The restaurants are generally excellent with a particular recommendation being 'O Regional' situated at the rear of the cable car station by the gardens but most of that row of restaurants are very good and reasonably priced. You will be amazed at the greeness of the island with exotic flowers populating the roadside. We find it one of the most beautiful islands in the world.

...There is an incredibly ugly fish which is exclusive to Madeira called an Espada (Scabbard). If you visit the market you will see plenty of them. Don't be fooled by its looks as it is delicious! The way it is served in Madeira is with hot banana. Although it has a black skin which is stripped off, of course, inside the flesh is wonderful, firm, white and tasty. I never found any bones either, which always deters me from choosing fish. It never cost very much so it won't be an expensive mistake if you don't enjoy it. If you are only in Madeira once then it's certainly an opportunity you shouldn't miss. Lynne
Espada is fantastic! It is also believed by many on Madeira to 'cure' stomach problems. I don't know about 'cure' but, prior to having espada in 1987, my aunt was a "twelve-antacids-a-day" person. After that cruise, she didn't have to have another antacid for 16 years.:)

Terry (and Doug):)

P.S. The prawns are also fantastic!!!!!:D

Archived