Ports visiting on Queensland Cruise

Benjis

Thank you all who answered my question about the Great Barrier Reef, very helpful. I now need to ask if anyone can tell me about the ports we are stopping at. Are these miles away from the town and if so is it easy to get to the main town from the docking area. The ports of call are:

Whitsunday, Yorkeys Knob, Port Douglas, Cooktown, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney. Any information would be helpful or is there something we should not miss as it is our first time in Australia.

Sounds like a great cruise you are going on.

Brisbane

Depends on the size of your ship, where the ship berths in Brisbane.

Latest Queen had to berth down river in an ugly industrial area, because she couldn't fit under Gateway Bridge. If you berth at Hamilton, you can just walk up the street and catch the ferries up and down the river and get off whereever you wish, including the centre of the city. Otherwise there is bus public transport into the city from Hamilton.

Whitsunday

Is by tender. We just walked across to the other side of Hamilton Island, swam in their pool, walked along the beach, etc. However, others hired golf buggies to get around.

Yorkeys Knob

Yorkeys Knob is one of Cairns northern beaches, about 15 mins north of Cairns. Noticed the crew just walked up the street and caught the local bus into Cairns. However, there are shuttle busses. It is close to Skyway, which goes to Kuranda - a beautiful trip over the rainforest, and back by rail.

www.skyrail.com.au

Whilst we have holidayed at Port Douglas, Cooktown and Townsville, we haven't arrived by ship.

Use the www.queenslandholidays/destinations/ etc similiar to Townsville link below, for travel information on all Queensland destinations.

Port Douglas

www.tourismportdouglas.com.au

Townsville

www.queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/townsville/townsville-home.com

Sydney

You'll need to check where your ship is berthing. We have berthed at both Darling Harbour (taxi), under the bridge, and Circular Quay near the bridge overlooking the Opera House. From Circular Quay, you can walk around to the Opera House and beautiful Botanical Gardens or catch the ferries to anywhere on the harbour you'd like to visit, such as Luna Park, Taronga Zoo, Manly, Watson's Bay and the Gap, Balmain. Sydney is a walker's paradise.

Enjoy your visit.

Hi Benjis

When in Townsville try and get over to Magnetic Island (Short ferry trip). Over there they have a unique "car hire" deal that Iv'e not seen anywhere else. They hire out Mokes....an Australian derivation of the old Mini Minors. They have open sides and a canvass roof (bit like a WW2 Jeep). Great fun...and you get to see the island at your own pace.

I think Princess offers this as one of their Tours, although I will probably do it independantly when we are there April Next year (sigh)

cheers

Hi Cool Cruiser and Flipper

Very much appreciate your information this will be invaluable. I really do appreciate your effort in anwering my request. Looking forward to cruise, but oh not the journey 22 hours flight. Hope it is worth it.

Archived