Overweight Luggage Woes - How to replace it?

We had to pay $50 overweight charges at the airport the other day for being 10 pounds over the alloted 50 lbs:mad: . The problem wasn't the contents, it was the weight of the American Tourister suitcase! It's a fabulous suitcase but weighs 17 pounds empty! Being Canadian, we don't have access to a lot of brands available in the States but surely with all of the weight restrictions and charges for a second bag now imposed by the airlines the luggage manufacturers will come up with something better than we have now. Any suggestions for a replacement bag which has some structure and has wheels and a handle?

I've had excellent luck with Delsey's Helium line of luggage. Very durable and the 25 inchers we have weigh about 10 pounds empty (it's not the absolute biggest they offer, but we only got the second biggest one because we knew that we would overpack the biggest one) and the 21 inchers weigh about 9 pounds empty. They aren't the cheapest out there, but occassionally ebags will run a sale or a department store will have a close out when the new year's line comes out. We came across one of those department store sales during Nov. 2006 and we got two 25 inch bags, two 21 inch bags, and 2 personal bags of Delsey Heliums for less than $130!! We have taken them to Europe, Hawaii, and on about 20 domestic flights since then and, save for the inevitable smudges from baggage handling, they are still in great shape.

Am just back from a cruise and my daughter and I had 2 bags to check, the suitcases were 1-2 lbs over and they didn't charge us. Then we got to security with our carryon and as they began to go through it I realized my error--my thought had been just to have what we needed for that night and for embarkation in the carryon so we didn't have to open our suitcases. Well it included full size toiletries. They were nice enough to let me go back and check that other bag in.

On the way home I was able to fit everything in the suitcase including the carryon. When we were curbside checking in, in Miami with American Airlines, he said my bag was over 7lbs and my daughter's over by 9lbs and we'd have to pay $50 each--I said you have to be kidding!! I then recalled my carryon bag and asked if we could check another bag. He said sure--no problem.

So dumb as it sounds, we were able to check in the same total weight, but just redistributed it to 3 bags instead of 2 and it was ok. Maybe try carrying an extra tote bag or beach bag that you can toss some things (shoes are a good choice) into to meet the weight requirement. I have a friend who checks her suitcase weight before leaving home--another good idea!!

You can find the Delsey Helium brand on sale at Zellers. Good friends of ours have Delsey Helium luggage and really like it because it's both lightweight and fairly durable, so that's going to be our choice when we have to replace what we have now. Zellers, The Bay and sometimes Sears also carries the brand, so watch their sale flyers.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Never heard of Delsey helium but it sounds like a vast improvement over what I have. I usually have a lightweight nylon duffle which I use on the return trip as the second bag so that solves quite a bit of problems for the aforementioned shoes, jeans and whatever else is heavy but the trip down was close, weight-wise.

I need to purchase a few extra peices. Does anyone know about the hard side luggage? I found a good deal at a site that eveyone knows, they sell items that have been over stocked.

Just wondering about the light weight, packability, and durability. Of course, they have to be spinners, I just don't have the patience or the body to fight regular wheels anymore.

I am nervous about packing for my Alaska trip.:confused: What happens if you take too many bags and they won't allow you to fly with all of them? I always over pack, and will probably do it again, I am guessing that it is $10.00 a lb?

Thanks!

I am nervous about packing for my Alaska trip.:confused: What happens if you take too many bags and they won't allow you to fly with all of them? I always over pack, and will probably do it again, I am guessing that it is $10.00 a lb?

Thanks!

With the way airlines are starting to charge for a second piece of luggage, let alone overweight luggage, you might want to check your airlines restriction on their website.

Not sure when you are going to Alaska but you want a good pair of waterproof shoes. I've been there in June and August and it's rained, some a little, some downpours.

Re: luggage. You should be able to find info on how much a bag weighs before making your purchase.

Enjoy Alaska, it's beautiful.

So dumb as it sounds, we were able to check in the same total weight, but just redistributed it to 3 bags instead of 2 and it was ok. Maybe try carrying an extra tote bag or beach bag that you can toss some things (shoes are a good choice) into to meet the weight requirement. I have a friend who checks her suitcase weight before leaving home--another good idea!!

Some airlines (United & Usair--inc Ted & the like) are now limiting checked baggage to one per person. A second bag will cost $50 more. Seems they are forcing us to be sensible packers inspite of ourselves!

I also always weigh my bags full at home(I step on, see the number---freak out, regain composure--, step off & step on again holding the bag). I shoot for <45 lbs to make sure in case my scale is off a little. I also wear as much as possible inc my heaviest shoes. I usually end up peeling off a coat, & sweater/sweatshirt once on board and they go under the seat (or used as a blanket--those airline ones skeeve me out!)

Kerry, check out the Heys line. It's supposed to be the worlds lightest. I bought mine from our TA. It is sold at the Bay also. Don't expect a sale or discount as Heys doesn't allow anyone to offer discounts. They come in 2 or 4 wheel drive(spinners)They also have soft or hard cases. You also have to be careful about size restrictions on some airlines. Quantas, for instance has the weight rule and the 106" rule. H+W+D = ? for both pieces. So if your first bag is 56" total, your second bag is limited to 50". Watch your carryon as well. Some have limits of 15lb. Our old carryon weighed 9.5lb empty.

Phil

P.S. Bought an electronic weight scale from Staples with a remote display to weigh all our luggage before it goes out the door

We have figured out that we are better off taking an extra smaller bag along. Most of the time it is only half full. But now we have that room for anything we might want to bring home. A Mexican blanket for our winter cabin, a nice summer bag, rum cakes, etc. We "rearranged" a couple bags at the airport once...embarrasing. Now it's not a problem and we don't have to pay. Of course when we travel overseas...it gets much trickier with their limitations.

There are travel hand scales out there to take with you (small and don't weigh much). It's fine to weigh your luggage before you leave, but chances are good that you may have redistributed some things and picked up a few extra on the way back. The scales are usually around $10. I think www.magellans.com has one. Well worth the investment.

Oooh, and on sale yet! I'll have to check this out for sure! Thanks for the heads up, ger_77. I am determined to solve this problem and still have my clothing arrive in good enough condition that it doesn't look like it was left in the bottom of a hockey bag for a season or two.

I bought Skyway luggage from Ebags. Montage Garment bag on wheels 12lbs 3oz and 29" suitcase 10 lbs. Skyway has an ultra lightweight series also 29" suitcase on wheels weighs 9lbs 4 oz there isn't a garment bag to the set.

I bought Skyway luggage from Ebags. Montage Garment bag on wheels 12lbs 3oz and 29" suitcase 10 lbs. Skyway has an ultra lightweight series also 29" suitcase on wheels weighs 9lbs 4 oz there isn't a garment bag to the set.

Just Got the Skyway Montage as well. Very light and lots of nice packing features. Got the wheeled Garment bag at ebags (70% 0ff) and a 3 piece set (20'', 29'' & tote) on HSN clearance (over 50% off).

I'm extremely happy with my hardshell Samsonite. Cordovan Samsonite F'Lite luggage. It's very sturdy and secure, but light. Also, the colors are outstanding and easy to find on a luggage carousel. I purchased mine from Amazon. I did a quick check and it's not available on Amazon's Canadian site, but you should be able to order it internationally. I've purchased things from Amazon's Canadian site and had them delivered to me in the States for reasonable price.

I have two of the 31" upright models. The handles retract nicely and it wheels very well/smoothly. Also very sturdy. I've brought back handblown glass in it from the Caribbean with no damage. And I've put bottles of alcohol (duty free) in the center with no problems. My two pieces are lime green and bright red. I see them on the carousel from a mile away!

Cool! I'd just love lime green luggage as a change from the cranberry color I currently have. Anything but black as that's all I seem to see on the carousel. Nothing points out the predominance of black luggage more than seeing the suitcases all sitting in the terminal building when you disembark!

Target has a great hand held scale that cost me around $8 on sale. It is extremely light and very accurate. We were able to use it to weigh our bags on the cruise ship before going home which was very helpful. I kept the weight of each bag to around 45 pounds.

Most large department stores have big sales on luggage. We have an Elder Beerman near us that has great sales on bags that are around $100 each normally and they mark them down to about $25. Then they give a percentage off if you use your store card! I bought two very nice 28" roller bags for $20 each. I would rather buy the less expensive bags and then get rid of them if they are damaged. Mine have held up great after the abuse piled on them from the airlines and cruise ship personnel.

Two years ago, I purchased very reasonably priced, ultralight weight luggage from Luggage Pro, which at the time beat the price from other on line luggage discounters. The suitcases actually were from American Tourister. So far, the suitcases have held up well. I weigh them each very carefully before I leave the house so that 47 lb. max in case the calibration is slightly off, with the magellon's hand scale. Tip, some of the hand scales just go to 50 lbs. You want the one that goes to 75 lb. Anita

• 2 weeks later...

I had two bags, one over by 17 pounds and one over by 25 pounds. The bag that was 17 pounds over "was overlooked". They airline was going to charge me $50.00 for the other bag. Luckily I was in a party of four and we moved some stuff to one of the other bags.

heavy carry ons...I have never understood luggage limits...on our last flight we were 2lbs over at check in...the lady at the counter told us it would be a $50 charge to check the bag...we moved 2 lbs into our carry ons and all was solved...its funny b/c the weight was getting onto the plane either way, and from a service standpoint, why inconvinience the pax...

You DO tend to see all sorts of things at the airport. I just flew Rome to Philadelphia and a woman carried on FOUR bags, without a single airline agent restricting her. :mad: She had two wheelie carry-ons, a briefcase and a handbag. Naturally, she held up everyone behind her in the security line and getting on the plane. Where will it all end??!!

As another poster said, the airlines are restricting us to one free checked bag due to high fuel costs, and to be honest, I'd rather they charge only those people who check multiple bags than to increase airfares for all of us.

Lesson learned, pack light, wear things 3-4 times, wear your heaviest items on the plane.

Archived